View Single Post

Old 08-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Cheetah

I was able to get OSX 10.6.4 working on my Dell 630 using a couple diff tools/methods andWITHOUT a Mac.
This isnt a detailed Guide just a brief summary of how i got it to work, for those who already know a little about the process.

I used the retail OSX 10.6.3 dvd, an External Monitor, iBoot Supported, Multibeast, howoarang's dell 630 pack, and the Mac OS X 10.6.4 Combo Update.
(you will have no Internet access initially so you'll have to transfer the last 3 of these packs to your Dell via USB Flash.)

1. Burn iBoot Supported, to ISO and use it to boot from your cd drive.

(some steps courtesy of the tonymacx86 blog)
2. At Chameleon prompt, eject iBoot CD, Insert your Mac OS X Snow Leopard Retail DVD and press F5.
3. Connect your laptop to your External Display, and Press "Fn" and "F8". (moves display to external monitor)
4. When you see the Mac OS X Snow Leopard Retail DVD Highlighted, press Enter to begin the boot process. (give Cd time to load)
(at some point the display will jump back to you LCD screen, dont ask me why i think its just an issue with DELLs and iBoot)
5. Format with Disk Utility, and Install OSX 10.6.3, ignore "Install Failed: Mac OS X Cannot Be Installed on this Volume" error at the end.
6. Restart, Boot from iBoot CD, Press "Fn" and "F8" again, and select which ever HardDrive you installed OSX to and press Enter.

7. View the Mac OS X Snow Leopard Welcome Video, and set up your computer.
(if your trackpad isnt working give it 5mins, if not you need an external keyboard/mouse. Setup your keyboard if it isn't recognized)
8. Download the Mac OS X 10.6.4 Combo Update, Multibeast, howoarang's dell 630 pack, transfer to ur Dell via Flash Drive.
9. Mount and Install the Mac OS X 10.6.4 Combo Update. DO NOT REBOOT!!!! (if you reboot repeat step 6, but no guarantees)

(Some steps courtesy of howoarang's post)
10. Unpack howoarang's dell 630 pack, put the DSDT.aml file on your Desktop.
11. Unpack and Run the MultiBeast app (if it crashes, delete the unpacked folder, and unpack it again).
12. Select UserDSDT, System Utilities and Install. (am sure you can install Chameleon 2.0 RC4 directly without this step)
(this installs Chameleon 2.0 RC4 + PC-EFI 10.5 by default but with the tonymac theme)
13. Select all kexts in Extensions folder of howoarang's pack and Drag to kextutily icon. It should install them automatically.
(don't copy kexts to /System/Library/Extension/ you'll end up with system errors before you can use the kextutily)

14. Edit your com.apple.boot.plist. Add "<string>pmVersion=20</string>" under your kernel flags entry "<key>Kernel Flags</key>". If there is already a kernal flag string under "<key>Kernel Flags</key>", modify it. For example change "<string>arch=i386</string>" to "<string>arch=i386 pmVersion=20</string>"

15. Eject all USBs drives, CDs, DVDs etc, cross your fingers and Reboot.

Am sure some of these steps can be streamlined, changed, skipped. But after see 50+ kernel panics and reimaging 15+ times with various guides. I just happy to have a working system for now. (no wifi though)

My specs...

CPU: Intel C2D T7500 @ 2,2GHz / 800MHz / 4MB
VGA: Intel 965 Express Chipset Family
Sound: Sigmatel Audio 9205
LAN Broadcom Ethernet 5751
HDD: WDC 160GB SATA-II (AHCI)
Screen: 14,1" 1280x800@60Hz

Last edited by Drago; 08-06-2010 at 09:36 PM.