View Single Post

Old 09-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Jaguar

How to - Native power management, speedstep, Trubo function

First of credit for this goes to msinfo_us. He has spent many hours on getting this to work correctly (still more to be done but this a great start) so please thank him for his hard work.

What has been achieved:
removal of nullcpupower kext will provide native speedstep and power management.
C-states
Turbo function support
lower cpu temps
higher over clock
and result is better benchmarks results. Run geekbench 64 bit before starting so you have a idea of what your score is.

MSinfo and I have mostly the same system specs.
EVGA x58 SLI motherboard
intel 920 i7 ( I can OC to 3.80 and MSinfo is at 4.1 on air cooled system only because he has a better batch )
we both have a V8 coolermaster.
Same OCZ platium RAM 6 gig
I have two EVGA 9800 GTX+ running 3 monitors
MSinfo has a GTX 260 running two monitors

First thing we found was BIOS version is very important if you want to continue any further you must be running BIOS E758_SZ2Z. If you don't know how to flash your bios don't bother reading this post any more. After flashing don't load bios setting from memory enter the settings manually. BIos settings should be similar to what you had before the flash but you should enable HPET 64bit and speedster and CxE function to C1E. Don't forget the AHCI needs to be enabled. reload to make sure it works correctly before continuing before adding anything else.

The reason for this version is because anything later supports the 6 core CPU and that is giving a KP when using native power management.

Also you will need Chameleon RC 5 build 498 install this and reboot to make sure it works correctly before adding anything else.

A new DSDT with the following fixes: AppleLPC, RTC, HDEF Audio, PIC, TMR, Power Button and smcbus. This dsdt is for the EVGA x58 SLI and i7920 Chip if you have any other combination you will need to generate your own and patch DSDT file. Place the dsdt in the root of the boot drive.

Two SSDT files which are for the EVGA x58 SLI and i7920 Chip if you have any other combination you will need to generate your own SSDT files. place all the ssdt files in the /extra folder

The extra /extension folder contains: AHCIPortinjector, AppleUpStreamClientDisabler, FakeSMC, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjecotr, IONetworkFamily, JMicronATA, and Legacy889HDA. (with this Legacy889HDA file you need to run the AppleHDA.kext form 10.6.2 and place it in /S/L/E)

com.apple.Boot.plist edit this with your GFX string as needed.

smbios.plist, we have changed our mac model from mac pro 4,1 to imac11,1 this will yield a better match to our hardware. And geekbench test confirm using imac11,1 which should increase your score by 500-1000 points.

reboot and cross your fingers .

After rebooting you should see a drop in idle temps. and run geekbench 64 bit and your will should see an increase in your scorer.

Good Luck and let us know your results so we can tweak this even more to make it better.

http://rapidshare.com/files/41963647...-9-17-2010.zip
MD5: 3B93C9D566CB6AA0679751B4F55B61B5