View Single Post

Old 03-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by uman View Post
Is it??? as simple as
:

1. Connect the WD to my hackbook, and install Chameleon (RC4??) on it into the EFI partition.
Correct. Install Chameleon 2 RC4 from leopard. From leopard, the WD disk will be your secondary HDD, so your target disk (WD) will be /dev/disk1 (you can double-check it with diskutil command). This is how you install Chameleon2 RC4 to EFI partition (command-line):-
- location of boot0, boot1h & boot files is in Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin/i386
1) Install boot0
sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1
2) install boot1h to EFI partition bootsector
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s1
3) copy "boot" file to root directory in EFI partition
sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
sudo mount_hfs /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFI

sudo cp boot /Volumes/EFI/
4) prevents the File System Events Daemon (fseventsd) from logging on this volume, which can cause the EFI partition to become unmountable.
sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd
sudo touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log

5) preparing directory tree
sudo mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI/Extra/10.6/Extensions

OR you can skip part1, 2 & 5 if you use Chameleon 2 RC2 package installer (I recommend this way). If you use the RC2 installer, you will just need to do part3 & 4 to update to Chameleon 2 RC2 to RC4.

If you can't boot SL with RC4, use boot from PC EFI v10.6 instead. This actually pre-patched RC3 by netkas.
Quote:
2. Populate /Volumes/EFI/Extras with necessary kexts (I know I will need ApplePS2Controller or VoodooPS2Controller, VoodooHDA, fakeSMC, PlatformUUID, etc)
Correct. The location of the kexts can be like this:-
/Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/
or
/Volumes/EFI/Extra/10.6/Extensions/
Quote:
3. I'd like to keep /S/L/E straight retail, but I know I need a modified IOATAFamily.kext (presumably just the plugin AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext) because I believe the DVD drive uses PATA. Can the modified one go into /EFI/Extra and it will get loaded first?
Should works in Extra folder.
Quote:
4. Rebuild any .mkext caches
Correct. If you can't (re)build the mkext file, move Extensions folder to /tmp folder & (re)build mkext there, then move both Extensions folder & Extensions.mkext file back to /Volumes/EFI/Extra/or/Volumes/EFI/Extra/10.6/ folder. You can create script file to simplify the process. Ownership should be root:wheel.
Quote:
5. Pop my DSDT.aml in /EFI/Extra??? Where does Chameleon want it?
Correct. dsdt.aml is in/Volumes/EFI/Extra/ folder.
Quote:
Is that sufficient?
Should be sufficient to boot SL.

1) Retail Mac OS X 10.6 ** Acer Aspire 9420 Intel C2D T5600 ** 4GB DDR2 ** NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 128MB ** Dell Wireless 1395 (rebrand to AirPort Extreme) ** ALC883
2) Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit ** Dell Studio 1557 Intel Core i7 720QM ** 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz ** ATI HD4570 512MB ** Intel WiFi 5300 ** Seagate Momentus 5400.6 SATA 3Gb/s 320-GB Hard Drive 5400RPM ** WLED 1366x768 15.6"
3) Retail Mac OS X 10.5.6 + Vista Ultimate ** Acer Aspire 3680 Intel Celeron M 440
** Linksys WPC54G v3.1 ** ALC883

Last edited by kizwan; 03-04-2010 at 02:00 PM.