View Single Post

Old 09-02-2009, 05:57 AM
Cheetah

Upgrade to 10.6 questions, application and process specific.

1) You can try upgrading to Snow Leopard although a clean install would be recommended.

2) The reason why people install Snow Leopard on a separate hard drive is because if anything goes totally wrong with the OS and something catastrophic happened, you can just reformat the whole hard drive without fear of any harm caused to your main OS.

You can install Snow Leopard on a partition that Leopard is on. I have Snow Leopard and 9A466 on two partitions and it works perfectly.

3) You can use the upgrade but there is a bigger chance for problems to occur regarding drivers, unsupported software and whatnot.

You can install Snow Leopard via a DVD but personally, it is simpler installing it from Leopard unless you have a pre-patched DVD with all the kexts/fixes that you need to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arterio View Post
I know there might be simple answers to all these questions, but through my searching I haven't found any answers, and none of the guides explain why things need to be done that way, or if my applications and settings will be moved over from my 10.5.8 install to the new 10.6 install.
It is vital that you follow the patching/installation steps as closely as possible to increase your chances of being able to boot up into Snow Leopard. As for why, it is because you are running a Hackintosh not Apple hardware, hence you need modified/patched files. It is generally not recommended not to do an upgrade with developer previews as you do not know what is going to happen and no one wants to sacrifice their main install just to try that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arterio View Post
The main reasons I want to move to 10.6 is the improved multi-core handling (GCD), 64-bit processing, and increased memory capacity.
Don't even think about running in 64 bit as most machines can only boot in 32 bit mode.