View Single Post

Old 10-30-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalek83 View Post
I'm getting this strange issue where if I make an extensions.mkext for /Extra/Extensions I get a kernel panic at boot. so basically I have to not have one there at all. also it seems to boot significantly faster with no extensions.mkext in /System/Library for /System/Library/Extensions most of the time.. which is backwards to what I thought it was, that the mkext makes things faster

so just to make sure, with Chameleon RC3 and netkas PC EFI 10.5

• ALL custom kexts like nullcpu, fasesmc, disabler and so forth go in /Extra/Extensions ? or do some only go in System/Library/Extensions and others go in /Extra/Extensions, and if so, what specifically goes where?
  • dsdt.aml goes in / (root) and with chameleon rc3 i just place it there, i don't do anything special to make sure it is used.. right?
  • smbios.plist goes in /Extra and is automatically used just by being there.

am i understanding this correctly?

also, when I had smbios.plist in /Extra/Extensions it booted fine considering the rest was ok, but when i put smbios.plist in /Extra it took damn near forver to load
First, Snow Leopard's Extensions.mkext is not in /System/Library anymore, if you have one there better remove it. The easiest way to update SL's mkext is doing this:
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
There is no hard rule where kexts should be installed, /Extra/Extensions is just another location to install them. All kexts in /E/E should work too if installed to /S/L/E. Not all kexts work from /E/E though, some need to have all its dependency kexts there too (like IONetworkingFamily f.e.). Modded kexts that overlap already existing ones are better to be kept in /E/E, to avoid them being overwritten.
DSDT.aml goes in /Extra by default (you can put it anywhere you want if you put "DSDT=/some/where/mydsdt.aml" in chameleon's boot.plist
smbios.plist is in /Extra too but samely can be put anywhere with "SMBIOS=some/smbios.plist"

AsRock P45TS | C2D E8200 | GeForce 8600GTS
Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.1 + Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7600 + Fedora 11