View Single Post

Old 02-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by adt2 View Post
Okay, I've had about all the fun I can stand in trying to get my hackintosh up and running; I've tried a handful of solutions, none of which results in a usable, dual-boot configuration. One thing that HAS worked, though, is Psystar's Rebel EFI software. Pop the disc in, boot from CD, swap CD with SL retail disc, install OS X, swap discs, reboot, and install Rebel EFI on hard drive, and voila - perfectly-behaved Snow Leopard on my Toshiba laptop. Only thing I can't figure out is how to make it dual-boot.

Why is this solution brain-dead simple, and seemingly impossible to reproduce? I've seen flaming missives directed at Psystar all over the 'net for "stealing" and/or "repackaging" other people's software for profit, but as near as I can tell, they're the only outfit that has actually figured out how to take all that software and make it into a commercially viable, one-click solution
One thing to keep in mind is that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to Hackintoshing. Rebel EFI might work on your system, but take it next door and try it on your neighbor's computer and it might fall flat on its face. Some other approach might work for your neighbor but not for you. I've installed OS X on three computers, and trust me, it's different for each one. Generally speaking, it's easiest and works best if your system has hardware that's similar to what Apple uses in its computers, and it gets harder the further you deviate from that.

Quote:
My point was, what is it that Rebel EFI is doing / installing / hacking / breaking to allow SL to run so easily on my machine? How can I duplicate that functionality, since Psystar is no longer selling new licenses, and the one license I bought is already in use on another machine? Any way to make it dual-bootable?
I don't have a copy of Rebel EFI; however, my understanding is that Psystar just took a bunch of open source Hackintoshing tools and put them together in one package. The free Empire EFI utility does the same thing.

As to dual-booting, that's both simple and complex. You've got to partition your disk or have two physical disks, you may need to deal with a hybrid MBR configuration or juggle installations to get OS X to work on a regular MBR, and you've got to install and configure a boot loader. If you're lucky or if you're using the right tool, all this will be done for you automatically or semi-automatically and you can sleep-walk through it. If not, you'll tear your hair out trying to get it to work, whether you start with Rebel EFI, Empire EFI, a "distribution" like Hazard, or anything else. I suggest you read up here and do a Web search on keywords like "dual-boot," "OSx86," "Chameleon", "Windows," and "hybrid MBR" (in various combinations) to find more information. There's a lot of information out there, but I don't have bookmarks for anything (aside from my own hybrid MBR page, which isn't OSx86-specific).