InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   10.X (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Various DSDT mods. (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=1960)

The Edge3000 08-11-2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk1nhd33t (Post 30675)
hmm weird, tried doing this on my gigabyte board but the shutdown menu wont show, when i press the power button my hack will just sleep thats it :(

Uncheck "Allow power button to put the computer to sleep" in energy saver =P.

Gurruwiwi 08-17-2009 02:00 PM

Hi guys,

I dont mean to hijack the thread, but what beeter place for 2 quick DSDT questions for people who actually seem to know what they are talking about !!
No one has been able to answer me, well... because no one seems to actually KNOW what they are saying... Please please help!
DSDT is the voodoo of computers for to me loool...
Ok, I've got 2 Acer laptops and 1 Asus laptop. Just for reference. All had OSx, 10.4 to 10.5, many distros, my latest and greatest in my sig.

How on earth do I know if DSDT is doing something or not ?

iAtkos v7 Chameleon 2 RC1 (now RC2) and fassls DSDT script checked. DSDT.aml
is in root, but I tried in Extra folder and felt absolutely no difference.
On first boot I press power, poweroff window comes up (native install) My multimedia controller on my keyboard controls volume and front row funtions!! (photos in link in signature) - Video card not detected (but with strings + 2 kext native HD res QE etc)
Out of the box, FN and up down increases/decreases screen brightness. Other fn work, very few dont.
. Audio works OTB, clicks pops etc, no internal or external mic. VoodooHDA is the same,
Ehternet with kext only... didnt try stringing it because I got it to work
So how do I know if DSDT is working? if I remove it I am almost certain my laptop will respond the same.

My previous laptops, NONE used DSDT, I pressed power button, they worked fine! Brightness and other stuff too... etc etc
and I am scared because I read sometimes
"Patch DSDT at you own risk!! !
as in flashing the bios or something... can I bick my laptop with DSDT !??! When can DSDT be dangerous?

I want to try decompiling and fixing my dsdt for Snow... but I dont even know if

1) I actually need it
2) If it is working or not
3) it is dangerous, or when is it dangerous?

ok, three questions :)

thanks in advance"

kizwan 08-17-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurruwiwi (Post 31282)
1) I actually need it
2) If it is working or not
3) it is dangerous, or when is it dangerous?

1) You don't need it unless you need it. If everything is working properly, so you don't need it. DSDT override just for PC that have problem with CPU alias (only can use one core), sound, graphic card, power management & etc.
2) It is working.
3) No hard evidence that it is dangerous. DSDT override can be applied by 2 ways; i) by using dsdt.aml file. ii) by flashing it to ROM permanently. Of course the second one is dangerous if you do it wrongly.

kizwan

Gurruwiwi 08-17-2009 09:47 PM

thanks for the reply

Ah, ok, you can actually flash a BIOS to mimic hardware change... ouch! no thanks.

The thing is kizwan, if I remove the DSDT.aml file, my system boots (Leo) and behaves the same! Which is really weird since I have perfect use of my multimedia pad (volume, next song, ff, rw, mute, hold and, believe it or not, and, the "enter" button works the same as Enter key, the arrows next to it like cursor, and the envolving white lines "tabs" stuffs depending on program, firefox, openoffice, folders, etc...) and 75% of bios FN keys etc.

For instance, my webcam, out of the box, reads in profile as "Acer Crystal Eye Webcam" - 100% opertional including ichat, ibooth, etc, which is know to crash with some "working" webcams - this withou dsdt or patching or stringing

That is why I say I have no idea, following logic from what I read, how the DSDT WORKS to help boot or not. even if its not present this laptop boots Leo like if it had.

Now I do have dual boot with dsdt present on both sides, but I guarantee you with single boot I had this behaviour

EnzoFX 09-03-2009 05:17 AM

So the powerbutton fix, will make my power button do either sleep or shutdown/logout/resatart prompt? It depends on the setting in System Prefs is what you guys are saying? (Once enabled through dsdt)

My power button currently does nothing! =P

kizwan 09-03-2009 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnzoFX (Post 33345)
So the powerbutton fix, will make my power button do either sleep or shutdown/logout/resatart prompt? It depends on the setting in System Prefs is what you guys are saying? (Once enabled through dsdt)

My power button currently does nothing! =P

For a working power button in Mac OS X, a dialog box will appear if you press the power button. In this dialog box, you have a choice either you want to sleep, restart or shutdown (you will see all of the 3 choices).

If your power button does nothing, it means it have not yet enabled in DSDT (most machine has this enabled by default). If you have tried to enabled it in DSDT, maybe the code is wrong. Try to check it again.

kizwan

EnzoFX 09-03-2009 06:40 AM

I have not tried, but I will.

I was just wondering if what it did (Once working) depended on the setting in Sys Prefs. I.e. whether it just sleeps, or if it gives you the shutdown/etc options.

kizwan 09-03-2009 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnzoFX (Post 33347)
I have not tried, but I will.

I was just wondering if what it did (Once working) depended on the setting in Sys Prefs. I.e. whether it just sleeps, or if it gives you the shutdown/etc options.

Once it working it will always shows you the options, either sleep, shutdown or restart. There is no setting in System Preferences for power button.

kizwan

The Edge3000 09-07-2009 08:16 AM

I applied the power button fix. However, It only seems to work when I check the box to allow it to sleep the computer. Other than that, it does nothing - no menu or anything.

Common_Sense 09-08-2009 09:21 PM

I applied the power button fix but it doesn't work, when I press it my computer will enter sleep mode without displaying any message just like it did before I applied the fix, I have a gigabyte EP45-DS3LR, anyone knows whats wrong?, this is how the DSDT looks like:

Device (PWRB)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C")) --> Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))
Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (0x0B)
}
}