InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Leopard 10.5 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Possible solutions for "Still waiting for root device" (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=1467)

Voyn1x 10-20-2008 10:17 PM

Possible solutions for "Still waiting for root device"

Here you will find some solutions to the common "Still waiting for root device" issue which has been compiled from information in the osx86project wiki. If anyone has managed to solve it another way, please post it here. :)

Solution 1 - change drive to primary

The most common solution is making your OSX drive the primary IDE. Try disconnecting all the other hard drives, make the OSX drive IDE0, using either cable-select or Master jumper settings.

In some cases forced or strange IDE master/slave settings can cause problems. For instance, on one system setting the DVD drive via jumpers as the slave drive but attaching it as the only device to the end of the cable can cause this problem. Reconfiguring the drive to use cable select (it then chose to be the master drive) fixed the problem.

Solution 2 - specify the boot disk

Code:

rd=diskXsY -v
X and Y are just placeholders and need to be replaced with proper values. X is the disk number (on most systems installed to the first hard disk, this will be disk0) and Y the partition number.

Solution 3 - use an IDE drive

Use an IDE drive or alternatively try and patch the install dvd with the correct SATA chipset driver for your hardware.

Solution 4 - use a SATA optical drive

For newer Intel chipsets such as the 965 that do not natively support IDE (and use chips such as JMicron or Marvell), use a SATA optical drive.

Solution 5 - try different boot options

Code:

platform=X86PC -v

platform=ACPI -v

-x -v

-f -v

Ask for help here or in the forum. Please do not pm me directly.

Misi 11-25-2008 09:31 PM

i hope it's not a stupid question, but this commands ar entered before the installation or after if the "Still waiting for root device" problem appears ?

nfoav8or 11-26-2008 04:16 AM

before...

during the countdown of the Install DVDs, press f8 to enter the boot flags shown above.

After installation... during the countdown of the system startup from the Hard Drive, press any key to enter the boot flags.

zipboing 01-26-2009 10:43 AM

solutions don't work... help me please!

Hi
I've tried every solution except #4: still not working.
IDE HD is jumper-set on primary master, dvd on primary slave (HD is first in cable, dvd second).
With solution #2 still have "still waiting for root device".
With platform=X86PC -v I have this.
With platform=ACPI -v have this.
With -f -v have this.

maybe there's something wrong in my installation. I used this config:
- drive formatted with GUID and MBR as well, both HFS journaled
- chipset: ICHX fixed
- kernel: SLEEP (tried stage XNU as well)
- fix: cpus=1 -fix (tried ACPI -fix as well)
- video: AGP (tried no video card as well)

I've tried Iatkos and kalyway (don't start installation), you're my last hope :'(
thanks a lot!
Lo

zipboing 01-27-2009 07:49 AM

hey ...is there anybody out there? :D

nfoav8or 01-27-2009 10:25 AM

Have you tried switching the drives around so the DVD drive is primary and HD is secondary.

I wouldn't rule out buying a SATA HD and retrying with your DVD on Primary IDE as well.

Some boards are just finicky and you may also need to try other distros to get better support (although I don't think this is the case here)

zipboing 01-28-2009 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nfoav8or (Post 21481)
Have you tried switching the drives around so the DVD drive is primary and HD is secondary.

before or after the installing? after didn't work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nfoav8or (Post 21481)
Some boards are just finicky and you may also need to try other distros to get better support (although I don't think this is the case here)

tried Iatkos: the installation didn't start (pc made loop reboot)
tried kalyway: the dvd didn't even start!

I understand that there are not two identical pcs in the world, so it all depends on my configuration; the question is: is there a list of "what to use if you have..." somewhere in the web? I mean, I have an not-so-old-assembled-pc (4 years) but it has got a P4 cpu... maybe the versions I tried are for dual cores, or they asks more resources...
suggestions?

thanks a lot!
Lo

nfoav8or 01-28-2009 08:44 AM

The biggest resource is the HCL. I'm linking you to the 10.5.2 HCL because the other ones have not been fully updated yet. Yours isn't listed. I've only seen the P4P800 series board in other versions of the HCL... but the two boards are related and the other methods may work.

varunbtech 01-28-2009 03:28 PM

i am also facing same problem with my SATA HDD. so, pls anyone help me, how i will install mac leopard 10.5 in sata hdd in intel chipset?

my pc config:
Mother board : Intel D102GGC2
Processor : Intel PentiumD
Memory : 1GB
Hdd : SATA 160GB

nfoav8or 01-28-2009 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by varunbtech (Post 21512)
i am also facing same problem with my SATA HDD. so, pls anyone help me, how i will install mac leopard 10.5 in sata hdd in intel chipset?

my pc config:
Mother board : Intel D102GGC2
Processor : Intel PentiumD
Memory : 1GB
Hdd : SATA 160GB

This doesn't use an Intel Chipset... an Intel CPU, yes, but the chipset is "ATI* Radeon* Xpress 200 Chipset" as seen in the picture.

Kalyway's 10.5.1 Install DVD should install for you but you will not have USB support. This is simply a complication between the kexts and the board and is well known. You can search for "D102GGC2" over and InsanelyMac.com for more in for on this.

You will be able to use the voodoo kernel with this and then be able to update if you also update your bootloader to Chameleon and add a few more files.

zipboing 01-29-2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nfoav8or (Post 21502)
The biggest resource is the HCL. I'm linking you to the 10.5.2 HCL because the other ones have not been fully updated yet. Yours isn't listed. I've only seen the P4P800 series board in other versions of the HCL... but the two boards are related and the other methods may work.

thanks. I've read it, and as you said, my components aren't there. but i've found this. I'll make one last try with marklar (tiger): maybe leopard is too much for my components. I'll report the results.
thanks again!

zipboing 02-04-2009 11:23 AM

how i did it!

here we go! i did it. with kalyway 10.5.1
(I am a fool, there was a problem with the early dvd burning; i burned another dvd and it worked fine)
config:
ide hd primary master
ide dvd primary slave (by cable)
bios: chip sata controller>disabled and boot with dvd
during installation:
disk util>one hfs+ partition with MBR
installer>options: no vanilla (otherwise you need a core2 chip), everything unchecked, SSE2 checked.
mouse and keyb through usb

i realize this is a good config with a pc like mine (P4, asus MB, no nvidia)

finder works
usb and firewire work
mouse tearing
ethernet doesn't work
no sound
4 gb ram fully recognized! oh my!;)

i should install calisto for my graphic card now... it'll wait a while ;)

thanks!
cheers
Lo

vina3517 03-19-2009 07:28 AM

Hi nfoav8or,
I have a system just like you; Dell Inspiron 531. I used iPC OSx86 10.5.6 universal PPF5 Final for my system and have two problem:
1) My system could not go to sleep.
2) Any optical drive (SATA) I put in could not read any media; It keeps telling me the media is blank.

Here's my selections:
- Kernel Voodoo 9.5.0
- Video NVdarwin 128MB (NVDIA GeForce 8300 GS (PCIe)
- Chipset AppleNForceATA nForce Drivers
- Audio ALC888
- Ethernet nForceLAN Driver
- AppleSMBIOSEFI fix

I'm hoping you could help me or tell me what fixes and patches you're using. Your help is greatly appreciated.

byteguy 03-22-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voyn1x (Post 17241)
Here you will find some solutions to the common "Still waiting for root device" issue which has been compiled from information in the osx86project wiki. If anyone has managed to solve it another way, please post it here. :)

Solution 1 - change drive to primary

The most common solution is making your OSX drive the primary IDE. Try disconnecting all the other hard drives, make the OSX drive IDE0, using either cable-select or Master jumper settings.

In some cases forced or strange IDE master/slave settings can cause problems. For instance, on one system setting the DVD drive via jumpers as the slave drive but attaching it as the only device to the end of the cable can cause this problem. Reconfiguring the drive to use cable select (it then chose to be the master drive) fixed the problem.

Solution 2 - specify the boot disk

Code:

rd=diskXsY -v
X and Y are just placeholders and need to be replaced with proper values. X is the disk number (on most systems installed to the first hard disk, this will be disk0) and Y the partition number.

Solution 3 - use an IDE drive

Use an IDE drive or alternatively try and patch the install dvd with the correct SATA chipset driver for your hardware.

Solution 4 - use a SATA optical drive

For newer Intel chipsets such as the 965 that do not natively support IDE (and use chips such as JMicron or Marvell), use a SATA optical drive.

Solution 5 - try different boot options

Code:

platform=X86PC -v

platform=ACPI -v

-x -v

-f -v

Ask for help here or in the forum. Please do not pm me directly.

I'm also getting the waiting for root device. My board is pretty new and I thought one of the ones that worked well without a lot of patches. Both the HD and Optical are SATA. The boot 132 works OK. Are there any settings in the bios that I should look at for sure?

Does the HD need to be formatted?

My System:
MOBO: GA-EP45-DS4P
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz
Memory: 2-1gb Kingston KVR800D2N6/1G
Video: e-GeForce 8400 GS5
Optical Drive: LiteOn LH-20A1L06C
HD: WD 500gb SATA

ashi 04-10-2009 12:35 AM

not helping, still waiting for root device

endsinstatic 04-15-2009 04:14 PM

this may or not help someone, but i managed to get past the "still waiting for root device" as follows.

Using a SATA optical drive.

Placing it into my SATA 1 port on mobo, and configuring it to run as IDE compatable from IDE enhanced.

its worth checking how yours is configured and having a play about with that if none of the other solutions work.

This is on an ASUS pq5 mobo anyway.

hope it helps someone.

newhariharan 04-30-2009 06:03 AM

my system config is this

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Intel DP45SG Main Board
With 2*2GB DDR3 Ram
XFX 9600GT 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card
Creative sound audugy value

i have installed iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Universal PPF5 Final it says installation is successfully completed ..... but after the installation is over it is not opening .....

in the -v mode it says ...... firewire unable to determine security mode..

still waiting for the root device
after the restart it is loading with a stop sign in the middle of the apple logo

Same prob .........

ptesone 05-18-2009 03:12 AM

Try Using another computer!

I bought a new XFX nForce 750a SLI motherboard with a 64 bit Phenom Quad Core only to find Still Waiting for root on just about every DVD I had. . .

I had to use my wife's computer to install iPC Leopard 10.5.6 on my IDE Maxtor
then add my IDE DEV ID's to an AppleVIAATA.kext (which was 0759 10de or 0x075910de) then I could put the drive back in my machine to finish the rest of the drivers. . .

johnkeong 05-30-2009 02:29 AM

System sleep

Quote:

Originally Posted by vina3517 (Post 23730)
Hi nfoav8or,
I have a system just like you; Dell Inspiron 531. I used iPC OSx86 10.5.6 universal PPF5 Final for my system and have two problem:
1) My system could not go to sleep.
2) Any optical drive (SATA) I put in could not read any media; It keeps telling me the media is blank.

Here's my selections:
- Kernel Voodoo 9.5.0
- Video NVdarwin 128MB (NVDIA GeForce 8300 GS (PCIe)
- Chipset AppleNForceATA nForce Drivers
- Audio ALC888
- Ethernet nForceLAN Driver
- AppleSMBIOSEFI fix

I'm hoping you could help me or tell me what fixes and patches you're using. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Prob 1:
Did you select the "Clamshell Display Support" in the Power Management during the installation? It did work on my Dell Inspiron 1525

Did you also install Seatbelt 10.5.5? This really solved my problem of "still waiting for root device" :)

permaspooked 06-14-2009 03:10 PM

Hi guys. I too am getting the "waiting for root device" error. I have a inspiron 6000 with upgraded ram. I had Ideneb 10.5.6. it said install successful but on reboot it hangs at the grey apple logo screen. -v says waiting for root device.

I also tried the kalyway 10.5.2 but doesnt even go into the install. Any suggestions?

warback 07-17-2009 03:54 PM

Hello,

For "Still waiting for root device" just going to the Bios and change "ACPI Suspend type" to S3, or another mode and reboot

enjoy

WallyFTW 08-14-2009 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newhariharan (Post 25560)
my system config is this

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Intel DP45SG Main Board
With 2*2GB DDR3 Ram
XFX 9600GT 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card
Creative sound audugy value

i have installed iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Universal PPF5 Final it says installation is successfully completed ..... but after the installation is over it is not opening .....

in the -v mode it says ...... firewire unable to determine security mode..

still waiting for the root device
after the restart it is loading with a stop sign in the middle of the apple logo

Same prob .........

I used to have this. Go into your BIOS. See if you can find anything that has something labeled with "1394", a common firewire port. If you find the 1394 option, set it to disabled and you'll get passed that firewire error. but now I'm stuck with some hang, hope you don't. :(

~ Jon

gravicle 09-04-2009 08:32 PM

still waiting for root device on ASUS p5n-MX nForce 610i

Hey there!

Mac osX has now become an obsession for me....

I 've had a really hard time trying to make ANY osX work.

Here are my Specs:

Mobo: ASUS P5N-MX (CHIPSET: NVIDIA GeForce 7050 /Southbridge: nForce 610i)

Intel CELERON-D 347 CPU 3.0 GHz with instructions: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 EM64T

phoenix ACPI BIOS 802

128MB onboard gfx

2gig DDR-2 400MHz Hynix RAM

PATA 160GB + 40GB HDD

PATA DVD/RW..... i've just one ATA cable...thus the HDD & DVD/RW are on the same cable

I don't know if I have a jmicron controller or not...

I have tried the following distros, with their respective problems:

iATKOS V5i : installed OK but then STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE

iATKOS V7 : installed OK but then STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE

iDeneb v1.5 10.5.7 : installed OK but then STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE (during install i got error SAM MULTIMEDIA READ OR WRITE ERROR but the installer proceeded)

iPC_OSx86_10_5_6_Universal_PPF5_Final : cannot even boot the CD due to STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE

Kalyway 10.5.2 : cannot update system uuid

To solve the "STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE " I tried this:

1. played a LOT with jumpers and cables (u understand that....ryt).. no result

2. 2. Tried configuring the BIOS in ways listed here as well as according to the guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=167180, did a LOT of tinkering.. HUH...to no avail

2. tried a plethora of flags in all imaginable combinations: -v -f -x -s platform=x86PC platform=ACPI rd=diskXsY (with all values of X & Y) rd=diskX idehalt=0

3. tried patching the iPC iso with iPC_v1.1_PPF patch... but the DVD din't boot = AS USUAL

4. tried various kernels but not all : AppleNforceATA, AppleNforceATA_TEST, Vanilla, SleepKernel, Voodo

I've spent countless hours trying to resolve it and went through numerous guides... none to much avail. The mobo is compatible as detailed here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...178149&st=0 but its all on SATA/SATA. As far as I know IDE is rather more compatible.

Please help. I'll not let it go until I'm done with it. I've installed MANY times but never saw an APPLE screen beyond the grey one ...with a CROSS on it

Thanks in advance.

gravicle 09-06-2009 06:03 AM

FiNALLLLLy
I got past the ERROR....

as you Said... I played with the IDE/SATA drivers in the iATKos v7 customization & Selected INTEL SATA/IDE driver....

And lo! it went past the "still waiting for Root device"

But then the boot stopped at a blank BLACK SCREEN... GoDDD Damn....

I booted with -V flag... also tried -x (safe mode) but it never reaches anywhere. Any ideas. please...

P.S.: I tried to delete NVIDIA drivers but I cannot even reach the -s mode. Black screen Everywhere.

VaHiX 12-23-2009 09:46 AM

rd=disk

I use iPC 10.5.6 and when I try rd=disk0s2 parameter in DVD boot menu my system boot without any error but I put it in plist string parameter and grub command list but still waiting for root device. I change sata configuration and acpi suspend parameter in bios too.
I use P5KC, cpu E2140, sata driver

Breathless 03-09-2010 10:55 PM

The answer for me....

FOR ANYONE HAVING THE "STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE" ERROR....

Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJJgAJq1lvo

The problem is that you need to specify to the install DVD where your hard drive is located. It looks to the wrong port, or a non existing port (trying it in each port did nothing for me). For me with my P6T Deluxe V2, swapping the sata cable around to the different ports did not work when using the boot123 method described in this thread (although 'swapping' did work when I used the "MyHack" method on a different occasion) :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...0#entry1426154

In any case, I had to put my hard drive on sata port 1, and my cd rom on port 2. I then booted up off the Boot123 cd as per the instructions on the original page in that thread, swapped in my Mac OSX DVD, and then typed in the flag:

rd=disk1s3

If you put the drive on a different port your disk number may be different. You would then have to experiment in that case. I'll quote another post on this error:

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/05/s...r-root-device/

"If you know the number of your Hard Drive then at the Darwin prompt (after boot press F8) write: rd=DiskX where X is the number of your OSX hard drive.

For instance if your hard drive is 0 (zero is the first hard drive) then write:
rd=disk0
if you do not know your hard drive then there is a try and error method of trying all the disk possibilities on your computer starting with: rd=disk0 then rd=disk1 then rd=disk2 then rd=disk3 etc. another good option is to disconnect other HD and leave the OSX HD as first and write disk0."

However, as soon as I did this (rd=disk1s3), my installation proceeded and everything was cake from then on. Hope this helps someone.

This should be added to the first post in this thread as I believe this is what the problem is for 90% of the people who have this problem.

Breathless

Breathless 03-10-2010 01:46 AM

FOR ANYONE HAVING THE "STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE" ERROR....

Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJJgAJq1lvo

The problem is that you need to specify to the install DVD where your hard drive is located. It looks to the wrong port, or a non existing port. Trying the 'swapping' method on the fly to different ports did nothing for me on my P6T Deluxe V2 when using the boot123 method described in the guide that I followed

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=208724

(although 'swapping' did work when I used the "MyHack" method on a different occasion).

In any case, I had to put my hard drive on sata port 1, and my cd rom on port 2. I then booted up off the Boot123 cd as per the instructions in that thread, swapped in my Mac OSX DVD, and then typed in the flag:

rd=disk1s3

I didn't have to type the other jiberrish described on the youtube video where it references the above flag, just exactly what I bolded above.

If you put the drive on a different port your disk number may be different. You would then have to experiment. However, as soon as I did this, my installation proceeded and everything was cake from then on. Hope this helps someone.

I think this should be referenced on the first page in this thread since I think this is the cause of 90% of peoples issue with this error.

Breathless

Krypto 04-22-2010 02:09 AM

Grr...I'm still getting this error..

My specs:
Motherboard: MSI RS482M4
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
GPU: Integrated GPU ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series
Memory: 3gb RAM
DVD-RW: Lite-ON Sohw-1693s

I tried iPC, iAtkos, iDeneb and even Hazards 10.6.2...
Please help...Still waiting for root device..

Breathless 04-22-2010 02:40 PM

Did you try what I said?

Krypto 04-22-2010 09:48 PM

You mean the rd=disk1s3? Yeah I did. It's a no-go; in fact I tried:
rd=disk0s0
rd=disk1s0
and yeah I'm not gonna stretch this any further, but you can say I basically tried it all the way to rd=disk10s10

Both WAYS.

Krypto 04-22-2010 09:49 PM

My hard drive and my DVD drive is IDE..could that be the problem?

Breathless 04-22-2010 10:39 PM

absolutely.

Get yourself a Sata Hard drive at least. The CD-Rom doesn't matter

Krypto 04-22-2010 10:53 PM

Why would the hard drive matter in anyway or form...

Breathless 04-22-2010 10:59 PM

my guess is that command may be specifically looking for a sata drive - on a sata controller.

Krypto 04-22-2010 11:07 PM

That makes no sense..because I'm booting from a DVD drive..not a hard drive..It says Still waiting for root device..because it's trying to find where or which host it booted it from..which is the DVD! Even if I boot it without even plugging in my hard drive..it still says the "Still waiting for root device.." So the hard drive is out of the question!

Cheers..

Breathless 04-22-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krypto (Post 47657)
That makes no sense..because I'm booting from a DVD drive..not a hard drive..It says Still waiting for root device..because it's trying to find where or which host it booted it from..which is the DVD! Even if I boot it without even plugging in my hard drive..it still says the "Still waiting for root device.." So the hard drive is out of the question!

Cheers..

Then you've got it figured out then

Krypto 04-22-2010 11:59 PM

Ok there buddy. I figured it out..but the Computer didn't. If you're not gonna help then you might as well just shut the ---- up ok?

Breathless 04-23-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krypto (Post 47661)
Ok there buddy. I figured it out..but the Computer didn't. If you're not gonna help then you might as well just shut the ---- up ok?

seems to me i've been the only one helping you. Have fun

Krypto 04-23-2010 01:10 AM

Heh..This IS the only fun part here..Tryin' to make it work,
And please don't say that you've been helping me, 'Cause you haven't helped me for shit..so you might as well shut the ---- up now..Especially if you don't understand shit..

Breathless 04-23-2010 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krypto (Post 47663)
Heh..This IS the only fun part here..Tryin' to make it work,
And please don't say that you've been helping me, 'Cause you haven't helped me for shit..so you might as well shut the ---- up now..Especially if you don't understand shit..

and yet, somehow, the "one who doesn't know crap" has several perfectly working hackintoshes, both AMD and Intel, and they all had this issue except for one. How many do you have up and running?

BTW, your logic is backwards. Since you say that after unplugging your drive it still says it.. that's because it doesn't see it - just the same way it doesn't see it when its plugged in. You have to tell it where it is, and that's what that flag does. ITS NOT SEEING YOUR HARD DRIVE. Get yourself a SATA drive, then do what I said - then hopefully the stick will fall out of your butt when you realize that what I said is what will get your system working.

Krypto 04-23-2010 01:20 PM

OMG! Dude There are so many people that have made it work using only IDE! So just shut da ---- up! For ----s Sake! Just cause your computer can run Hackintoshes doesn't make you a ----ing expert!

Breathless 04-23-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krypto (Post 47670)
OMG! Dude There are so many people that have made it work using only IDE! So just shut da ---- up! For ----s Sake! Just cause your computer can run Hackintoshes doesn't make you a ----ing expert!

You've got a wild case of repetitive tourettes there don't ya. Take a chill pill youngin - you'll live longer.

Krypto 04-24-2010 03:15 AM

Whatever bro..just ----ing go die in a ditch..

kronx112 06-03-2010 05:55 PM

Still waiting for root device

Can anybody give me the customize setup for my spec. I just fully installed IATKOS V7 10.5.7 but it won't boot="still waiting for root device"

HELP!

my spec:

Gigabyte 2.2ghz Amd Athlon 64 x2
1GB DDR@
Nvidia 8600GT 512mb
Maxtor 350HD
NEC DVD_RW
EDUP Wi-Fi 11g USB Adapter
Audio Realtek AL C883

ozziesironman 06-15-2010 05:47 PM

got past the root error, now im getting a new error. when i press f8 at darwin it gives me 2 options: boot into windows NTFS foreign OS, or into Apple HFS. when i hit the apple option, it says it cannot find 'system config file '/library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist' not found. any idea?
im using uphuck OS tiger BTW, waiting for my buddy to find his leopard dvd.
system is a AMD Athlon dual core 2GHz 64 x2 2GB ram geforce 7950GT, 500GB sata hd sata dvd-rw drive. partition on 500GB drive for os x is 115GB. help?

tham50 06-15-2010 11:57 PM

hi,

tried iatkos s3 on a Asus P5N32-E SLI but got the good old 'waiting for ...' came again. the thing is that that board doesn't have ahci as it seems :-/

any ideas?

ozziesironman 06-17-2010 04:53 AM

stuck on the grey loading screen for install of leopard. a grey screen with an apple and a rotating circle. on the top of the apple is a circle with a line thru it. \
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...n/68bff03c.jpg

ozziesironman 06-17-2010 06:41 AM

i give up.. apple has beaten me.

Potarius 11-16-2010 02:57 PM

Solution

I had The same problem and I could finally boot by using an USB external DVD drive. It worked every time for me.

theumang 02-22-2011 11:23 AM

Still waiting for root device - unable to boot with the DVD

The solution for an nforce chipset mother board is the following config & settings:

IDE Optical drive, set to Master
Sata HD
while booting, keep punching the f8 key, once you have chosen the optical drive, continue punching f8 till you are asked to enter some command & continue (best hint that you are on the right screen is it'll suggest to type -v & continue.)

On this screen, type the command in the next line & hit enter, you are ready to Roll!
-x -v cpus=1