InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Leopard 10.5 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   [Solved] AMD Dual Core Timing Issue AKA Mouse Bug (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=734)

Ianxxx 03-18-2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

[cite] agrafuese:[/cite]Yes! I woke up this morning and began to believe it was network related too! Here's why: I can almost 100% guarantee that this problem will occur when I've left my computer on overnight with torrents running (this time I was using BitRocket, before it was Tomato Torrent). I have a feeling it is also upstream-related because I only had one torrent downloading. It was only around 100MB, and it finished just before I went to bed. So performance was still good when it finished and started to seed. I have an auto-stop when ratio hits 2:0, so after I seeded 200MB, there could be no more peers connecting. So this problem must happen fast, with only a few peers connecting over a short period of time. I should also say that I have Little Snitch running, and I use it in demo mode (so it stops after 3 hours into the night). I have no idea if this has anything to do with the problem at all, but it's just some more info to throw at you all. Also, one last thing I've noticed is ALWAYS associated with this problem is this console message that repeatedly occurs throughout the night:

Code:

3/18/08 8:41:32 AM mDNSResponder[17] mDNSPlatformRawTime went backwards by 4 ticks; setting correction factor to 206737245
The number of "ticks" differs, and it seems that the higher the number, the worse my mouse movements and GUI will perform. I've had it go up to 15 or 20 in the past. Also, the more frequently this message occurs, the worse performance is too. For instance, right now the mouse and GUI are slow but not as bad as usual, and I noticed that the tick numbers are all around 3-4 and the message only occurred a total of 5 times at random instances throughout the night/morning.

...now, for the cherry on top...I found this little line in there as well:

Code:

3/18/08 9:11:38 AM kernel skgeosx ERR: ouputPacket() zero segments
skgeosx is the network driver I am using.

I am using the same network setup as Snow. Marvell Yukon 88E8001. I too have the nLan adapter, but I haven't been using it because I had problems with it in the past. I am running 10.5.2 rev1 right now, so I don't know if it would work better now with this release. Maybe I'll give it another try. What network adapter/driver are you guys using?
I am using a realtek 8169, so thats different, just out of interest are you using a router? If so what have you set mtu to in osx and on router?

agrafuese 03-19-2008 12:04 AM

yeah, i'm running the classic WRT54G router. MTU is set to auto (1500) in the router and auto (1500) in osx as well. i've always had these settings in osx since the days of tiger 10.4.8. what does your realtek adapter use for a driver? does it use its own third-party driver?

agrafuese 03-19-2008 05:10 AM

yet another update:

i decided to install another fresh copy of 10.5.2 rev1 on a spare partition just now, but this time i am using nLan for ethernet (forcedeth) instead of my marvell (skgeosx), which I have now disabled completely in BIOS. everything else is totally pure on this installation except for the video kexts i need to modify for my video card to run. i also updated leopard (including the new safari 3.1), and patched everything with marvin's. for now, i've decided not to install AppleSMBIOS-27 or the fixed IONetworkingFamily, and i am leaving the mach_kernel at the default 9.2.0. if i get problems with this setup, i will replace the AppleSMBIOS and then try the fixed IONetworkingFamily. as a test, i will be downloading a 3GB torrent with bitrocket and little snitch running. may leave it to seed over night as well. i'll report back with my results when i find out something new.

Ianxxx 03-19-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

[cite] agrafuese:[/cite]yeah, i'm running the classic WRT54G router. MTU is set to auto (1500) in the router and auto (1500) in osx as well. i've always had these settings in osx since the days of tiger 10.4.8. what does your realtek adapter use for a driver? does it use its own third-party driver?
My lan card uses apples driver, so I haven't changed IONetworking, I'm not sure which AppleSMBIOS I'm using can't remember wether I changed it on this installation or not.
I have a wag54gs router just updated the firmware on it "you never know".

Snow 03-19-2008 01:25 PM

Hmm, I still have a Realtek 8139 PCI network adapter laying around that I actualy used for JAS 10.4.8 and Tubgirls 10.4.9 (10) in the past. Maybe I should try the card again. I haven't had any issues so far though so I'll wait till they start to occur again.
Im' still at HTx4 FSB230 3-4-4-8 here.
I remember the issue with the nForce LAN was that the OS crashed when using iTunes radio stations or Front Row movie trailers or cd previews. I don't even know which skge kext we're running anymore lol, is it a modded one from Zeph or?
Thing is though, Lanxxx is using a totaly different network solution and still has the same issue.
For now we can just update this thread with our latest experiences.
Did all of us (with the issues) change the SMBIOS kext? I wonder. My Time Machine broke too and I can't figure out what happend. I did change the SMBIOS cause I had issues with Photoshop but, I've tried the old ones again and Time Machine is still broken. Photoshop doesn't crash anymore though, for now.

Laters

agrafuese 03-19-2008 02:41 PM

Snow, I just thought of something. Maybe when you changed your SMBIOS, it affected the way your MAC address is displayed to Time Machine, hence the MAC address error it's giving you? Perhaps when you changed it back, you didn't reload the kext cache? We're a little off topic on this now, I guess.

Oh, I checked the skgeosx driver that we have from Zeph and it appears to be the same one that was initially released by the guy who made it. Forcedeth, on the other hand, was modded by Zeph, afaik. And I don't know if I even have the latest one. I am using 10.5.2 rev1, but has he done anything new to that kext since then? Anyone know? It doesn't say so in his rev2 thread. It worked alright for me, but it didn't display or connect to network computers properly, so I had to dump it and go back to skgeosx for my Marvell instead. Bah. So much for that test.

Snow 03-19-2008 03:21 PM

Hmm, I always use Kext Helper lately which seems to update the cache.

Btw , Agra, YOUR BLOODY INBOX IS FULL ON INSANELYMAC! lol
Guess I wasn't the one to clean out my nox after all.

Anyway, is there any way to completely reset or even reinstall Time Machine?
Ah so it does work, no crashes but it doesnt work well on the local network. I don't think he updated it since rev. 1 m8.

Was about to send you the cpui.txt until I got the inbox is full error from you so I will paste the link here bud:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jhq2sg

I've edited the file so it only displays the one file that needed to be patched. This is after I've done Safari 3.1 and latest Airport and Security updates.

Good luck son!

Ianxxx 03-19-2008 04:35 PM

Hiya all
well hope in a way I'm wrong about this, cos it will piss me off a little if it turns out to be right.
So far uptime just over 5 hours.
I have to go out in a few mo's and won't be back till tomoz so can't test any longer till then, so maybe someone would like to try this if you haven't already.
I only made two changes
1 I updated the firmware for my router. linksys wag54gs
2 configured my lan card to half duplex 10baseT <-really hope this isn't the answer. Having gone out and purchased a lan card for £7

Anyway so far no crashes no weird mouse, just running fine. opened about a dozen apps I'm not using just to stress pc a little more, still fine.

now 6 hours no faults

Snow 03-19-2008 06:08 PM

I don't have a router nor did I configured the lan card.

So far I haven't ran into any issues after I've relaxed my RAM timings. Only thing that's been broken now is Time Machine.
I just need to keep working until issues occur (hopefully this wont happen)

I do suggest trying one thing at a time. I changed the applesmbios recently and that could be the cause of Time Machine not working anymore but I don't seem to have the Photoshop crash.
So for now I'll just focus on the ram timings.

Uptime here about 4 hours

Ianxxx 03-19-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

[cite] Snow:[/cite]I don't have a router nor did I configured the lan card.

So far I haven't ran into any issues after I've relaxed my RAM timings. Only thing that's been broken now is Time Machine.
I just need to keep working until issues occur (hopefully this wont happen)

I do suggest trying one thing at a time. I changed the applesmbios recently and that could be the cause of Time Machine not working anymore but I don't seem to have the Photoshop crash.
So for now I'll just focus on the ram timings.

Uptime here about 4 hours
Did you use the fix for time machine?