InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Leopard 10.5 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   [Solved] AMD Dual Core Timing Issue AKA Mouse Bug (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=734)

Snow 03-17-2008 02:34 PM

I've been reading through this thread and I have both these issues along with some other which I will not mention yet.

Firewalker: Same problem here after running for a while mouse goes mad like its on d***s jumps to corners and so on

Agrafuese: "The application "Safari" cannot be launched. -10810" error (mine is with Saf, not FF)

It's hard for me to believe these issues are latency related. I think when having latency probs we should experience a lot more issues like crashes, slowdowns, freezes even. And these issues even occur when our systems run idle.
I'll try relaxing them anyway. I'm slightly overclocked and timings are also slightly tightend. Mind you, for those playing games in windows and loosening the timings by a lot you will loose some FPS. That could be a prob if you need all the FPS you can get.
I believe my HT is still at the default of 5x so I will try the 3x but I think it's more of a placebo effect lads.

Anyway, thx for all the info you guys put here and hopefully we can sort this issue out soonish.

Laters ;)

Ianxxx 03-17-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

[cite] agrafuese:[/cite]well, i actually looked up the 10810 thing on google, and it's rare to say the least. apple dev's seem a bit clueless about it, so i'm guessing it's not common on "real" macs. there was a post on the apple forums that said this could have something to do with LaunchServices database needing to be rebuilt. the guy gave a link to an app that would do this, but i'm a little hesitant to try it out. i don't want to screw my install up anymore than it may already be. regardless, here's the post if you've got the cajones to try it yourselves (i have a feeling it wouldn't help though): http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1201327&tstart=60 (scroll down to MarkDouma's post for the app)
This is worth someone else trying it, it certainly doesn't seem to brake anything which is the main thing. I'm not sure its working as I said earlier I don't get the funny mouse movement thing any more since changing memory. But my computer has been on since about 3 am thats over 7 hours ago, nothing has crashed so far.

farcaller 03-17-2008 03:33 PM

Can someone please tell me how could hardware problem (timings) be magically fixed by just re-spawning a bunch of processes?..

Ianxxx 03-17-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

[cite] farcaller:[/cite]Can someone please tell me how could hardware problem (timings) be magically fixed by just re-spawning a bunch of processes?..
It couldn't

But that's like asking how could cpus=1 fix a networking problem.

farcaller 03-17-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

[cite] Ianxxx:[/cite]But that's like asking how could cpus=1 fix a networking problem.
lol. However I can find an answer to this one ;)

Snow 03-17-2008 05:16 PM

Alright lads, a little update.

I've ran my PC with HT x3 this morning and got even worse problems then before.

I'll post a little diary on what happend:

- Safari Crashes
- When trying to restart Saf it shows 10810 error
- Menu icons have dissapeared except for Quickeys (3rd part app) and Spotlight
- Cannot start a single app anymore
- When closing apps that are running I loose a bit of the screen content, meaning, Dock quits, then Menubar closes when trying to quit from the menu.
- Can't even reboot anymore and nothing is displayed on the screen except for tha wallpaper.
- Need to RESET PC to get things fixed.

Voila, there you have it. Before this Saf would just crash or I would get the mouse behaiour but nothing liek this. Coincidence or cause of HT adjustment, I have no idea. I do know though that the mouse (or all else for that mater) wasnt any smoother by changing HT setting.

I have now lowered my timings too so I'm running HTx3 with 3-4-4-8 timings (default timings for my RAM)
I'll keep you guys updated!

Btw for testing I suggest you open iTunes, Saf, Mail and another app like Photoshop and leave it there for a few hours. Then come back to the PC and start to work with it.

Good luck!

Snow 03-17-2008 06:45 PM

And now Time machine doesnt work anymore too. Could not find backup volume error. It has been a while since I backed up so can't tell what happend since then. Nothing major though.

Tried Erasing, reselecting, other SMBIOS & IONetworking, all to no result.

Voyn1x 03-17-2008 06:51 PM

I'm another one suffering from these issues. I think it's possibly connected to having multiple cores. I found this thread on Insanelymac about X2 users, not sure if its still valid for leopard.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=7405&pid=199818&st=120&#entry1 99818

It talks about the use of kernel flags such as idlehalt=0, cpuidle=0, platform=X86PC, fn=3. Also here's a quote from the thread:- "I think the key it is in FSB....OSX loves to run in high FSB."

Edit: Firefox is also crashing with the 'divide by zero' error. Not sure if thats connected at all?

farcaller 03-17-2008 07:17 PM

New "feature" of the mouse bug. I've got QE/CI working and now when the bug appears not only the mouse behaves slowly, but it's very hard to type anything on keyboard too - all UI seems to be frozen

Voyn1x 03-17-2008 07:29 PM

Well i've found out what the -10810 error is. It happens when you have runaway spawn processes. Apparently its often caused by having SMB sharing on, i've turned that off for testing now. Fingers crossed, not sure if this is related to the mouse issue.

Do any of you guys have SMB sharing turned on?