InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

dmoore764 01-10-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmoore764 (Post 42748)
I copied the retail SL to USB as stated in the guide (I'm on 10.4), then used the myHack installer exactly as indicated. Now when I try to boot up the target machine (by setting the flash drive as default boot device - under Hard Disk Drive priority) I just get stuck right after "Verifying DMI Pool Data"....

Do I need to create the flash drive on OSX 10.5? What is the format, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? Has anyone else run into this? Thanks in advance.

Ok, it took about 3 hours but I figured out my own problem. For whatever reason I had to replace the boot that the myHack program installed with PC_EFI v10.2.... (renamed to boot obviously, well, maybe not obviously to those like me who had no idea what they were doing).

Nomad347 01-10-2010 01:27 PM

Blue screen/black screen with mouse issue

To all the people with the blue screen/black screen with mouse issue which magically disappears after you put the box to sleep. Just ad NVenabler64.kext to your extra folder, rebuild extensions.mkext reboot and pray it works. JUST NVidia people obviously!

credits to Fassl, Turbo, Krazubu -
http://www.projectosx.com/forum/inde...mp;p=1170&

Hope it helps!

zim2dive 01-10-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zim2dive (Post 42716)
I can't find the wake on lan options in system preferences... according to

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

they should be on the Energy Saver panel

An update. The Wake on Lan option still does not appear in my Energy Saver.. BUT the function appears to be working.

I was able to use 'Fusion WOL' on Windows, and the linux 'wakeonlan' utilities and my MAC addr to wake my machine up after putting it to sleep.

As long as the function works, I can live without the preference being there.

Now I'm off to figure out how to prevent the machine from sleeping when I'm connected to my iTunes lib via Firefly Media Server (server on osx86, client on linux)

barrsurf 01-10-2010 05:38 PM

How do I boot into single user mode? I know the "command s" hold down, but where do I do it? I have been trying for about 3 days. I need to install new kexts and rebuild kext cache. I've tried at every point that seems logical to me. My install is the same as this thread.

Snow Leopard 10.6.2
MSI X58M
i7 920 @ 3.33 Ghz
4 Gb DDR3
BFG GTS 250 OC

lflashl 01-10-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrsurf (Post 42715)
I can't click anywhere in the world map. If I'm online it goes past that page.
I'm using a Macally Mac keyboard. I bought a new one yesterday thinking that may be the problem. I may borrow an Imac keyboard today.
I thought it was strange to restart into the login page. And there are no users available at that page, so setup is not finishing. I tried to add the user in terminal, but I couldn't do it through the install drive, so I plugged it into my MBPro and added it there, but it didn't take. I was in the right drive, but the user was added to my MBPro. Osx is on a 60gb USB drive. I think Ownership enabled, mine is no, may be part of the problem. Otherwise I'm going to wipe the drives and start all over. Could the external drive be the problem?
So close, but yet so far.

it could be a External Drive issue? all my installs have been with internal HD's also check your BIOS settings. Look for USB keyboard/Mouse and make sure thats turn on.. nothing more i can think of.. sorry

EDIT: Just found this http://www.nerdlogger.com/2009/02/ho...x-leopard.html looks like there could something in there for you learn.. just remember to get into single user mode, when you are at your boot loader type in -s [enter].

lflashl 01-10-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrsurf (Post 42769)
How do I boot into single user mode? I know the "command s" hold down, but where do I do it? I have been trying for about 3 days. I need to install new kexts and rebuild kext cache. I've tried at every point that seems logical to me. My install is the same as this thread.

Snow Leopard 10.6.2
MSI X58M
i7 920 @ 3.33 Ghz
4 Gb DDR3
BFG GTS 250 OC

when you see your boot loader type in -s [enter] this should get you instal single user mode...

barrsurf 01-11-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lflashl (Post 42796)
it could be a External Drive issue? all my installs have been with internal HD's also check your BIOS settings. Look for USB keyboard/Mouse and make sure thats turn on.. nothing more i can think of.. sorry

EDIT: Just found this http://www.nerdlogger.com/2009/02/ho...x-leopard.html looks like there could something in there for you learn.. just remember to get into single user mode, when you are at your boot loader type in -s [enter].

I got the install working on the external USB. I'd rather have it internal, but it's an old IDE 60Gb I had lying around in a box unopened. I wasn't sure if OSX would support IDE. I thought I'd use that for the system and my 500Gb SATA as a storage drive. I think the cause of my previous setup issue was possibly saving the OS Install dmg in the wrong mode.
Thanks for the single user mode instruction. I'll try it at next reboot. Was sitting idle for a couple of hours and woke from sleep nice as can be. And that's after 10.6.2 update and not rebuilding kext cache. A few bugs, i.e. no sound yet on ALC889, but getting there.

Thanks

Snow Leopard 10.6.2
MSI X58M
i7 920 @ 3.33 Ghz
BFG GTS 250 OC
4 gb DDR3

sapam 01-13-2010 05:04 AM

Can't boot USB stick - stuck at "verifying DMI pool data"

Like posts #233 and #449, I've followed the guide to create the bootable USB stick, but mine won't boot. It hangs at "Verifying DMI pool data ...." (I have tried the fix described in #451, but that didn't work for me.)

I'm using a Rev 1.1 G31M-es2L with F8 BIOS. The other parts are described in my signature. The BIOS settings are essentially identical to the ones described in Weaksauce12's pdf that someone posted here. It is currently running 10.5.8 with only sleep problems (like everyone else), so I doubt BIOS is the problem.

I've also tried using the Adam Pash/stellarolla lifehacker method to install 10.6 Several people have reported that it works well with the G31M-ES2L board. But again, the USB stick I create using his process won't boot. It just gets stuck at the same "verifying DMI pool data" step.

This leads me to think that I'm missing something truly fundamental about creating the USB stick. I've been creating the Snow Leopard installer image from a retail DVD...then restoring it to the USB stick and running the scripts. When I'm done, the USB stick includes all the files that show up on the retail DVD plus "boot", extra folder, pfix, pfix.log and some shortcuts. Then I go to boot it using either F12 or by setting it up as the 1st boot drive. Either way it just hangs at the "verifying dmi pool data" step.

Any ideas?

barrsurf 01-13-2010 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapam (Post 42940)
Like posts #233 and #449, I've followed the guide to create the bootable USB stick, but mine won't boot. It hangs at "Verifying DMI pool data ...." (I have tried the fix described in #451, but that didn't work for me.)

I'm using a Rev 1.1 G31M-es2L with F8 BIOS. The other parts are described in my signature. The BIOS settings are essentially identical to the ones described in Weaksauce12's pdf that someone posted here. It is currently running 10.5.8 with only sleep problems (like everyone else), so I doubt BIOS is the problem.

I've also tried using the Adam Pash/stellarolla lifehacker method to install 10.6 Several people have reported that it works well with the G31M-ES2L board. But again, the USB stick I create using his process won't boot. It just gets stuck at the same "verifying DMI pool data" step.

This leads me to think that I'm missing something truly fundamental about creating the USB stick. I've been creating the Snow Leopard installer image from a retail DVD...then restoring it to the USB stick and running the scripts. When I'm done, the USB stick includes all the files that show up on the retail DVD plus "boot", extra folder, pfix, pfix.log and some shortcuts. Then I go to boot it using either F12 or by setting it up as the 1st boot drive. Either way it just hangs at the "verifying dmi pool data" step.

Any ideas?

The first USB stick I had wouldn't boot. I tried it several times and no luck. I bought another brand of USB stick and no problem. Might be worth a try.

riadtania 01-13-2010 10:00 AM

Hi guys, I followed the instruction and dump all files into external hard drive which has HFS+ partition. I am trying to install into my sony vaio laptop. at the disk utility whle trying to install from external hard drive, it doesn't see the my laptop's interal hard drive. i have windows xp and HFS+ partition inside of my internal hard drive. does anyone know why?

riadtania 01-13-2010 10:24 AM

Also, after installation, when I tried to boot. it says
boot0: testing
boot0:testing
boot0: error

I delete the source parition which had OS installation partition so that i can boot into secondardy partition where OS was installed. everyone i was booting my laptop, it was boot from installation partition rather than where OS was install.

A help would be really helpful. I am trying hard for last3 weeks to get this to install. It is not working. I used retail MAC OS X to dump image then ran the utility mention begining of this forum. thanks a log again.

zim2dive 01-13-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riadtania (Post 42950)
Hi guys, I followed the instruction and dump all files into external hard drive which has HFS+ partition. I am trying to install into my sony vaio laptop. at the disk utility whle trying to install from external hard drive, it doesn't see the my laptop's interal hard drive. i have windows xp and HFS+ partition inside of my internal hard drive. does anyone know why?

This thread is for the G31M motherboard, not for a laptop.. you'll get better answers if you post your question in a more appropriate location.

lflashl 01-13-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapam (Post 42940)

Any ideas?

try taking out some memory and wirless NIC. i have read some people need to only have 2Gigs memory installed to install SL. Also do you have SATA DRIVES install and not IDE, i have heard that can cause problems. I have the same board and everything worked fine, what leopard system did you make the USB stick on?

lflashl 01-13-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riadtania (Post 42950)

might help if you told us what laptop you had! there are alot, if we know the model number then we could tell you the place where you need to go work out your problems!

sapam 01-14-2010 03:56 AM

Got the USB stick working...thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by lflashl (Post 43002)
I have the same board and everything worked fine, what leopard system did you make the USB stick on?

Thanks barrsurf and lflashl. I tried a new USB stick, but that didn't seem to make a difference. But then lflashl's comment got me to look at the version of OSX on the borrowed laptop I was using to create the USB stick - 10.4.11!

I wouldn't have thought it mattered to use Tiger, but once I created the USB stick with my existing 10.5.8 hack install, it booted right up. (I used the lifehacker/stell script to fix the stick.) Miles to go before I'm totally done, but at least I got past the first hurdle. Thanks again.

riadtania 01-14-2010 04:05 AM

Sorry guys. I am in the wrong threads. Actually, I tried so many solutions, i cannot even make it to work. This threads solution is the only thing that took me to install snow leopard successfully.

If you dont' mind, can you please direct me place where I can find some solution. I have VGN-BZ560 laptop. Google it a lot and couldn't find anybody who had success install Snow Leopard.

Again, when I tried to install SL from USB, it doesn't see my laptop internal HD and after installing into different partition from USB, i cannot boot from it. I get error message as:

error0:test
error0: failed.

Please help me to right place or solution that might work for my laptop. Really appreciate for your help and valuable time.

chubsterpete 01-14-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zim2dive (Post 41479)
The 1st post says to The closest thing I see is the "Bonjour Fix/SnowR1000"..... but that doesn't seem to do the trick for me... I just ran it (after updating to 10.6.2)... it said to reboot, I did, and I still cannot see my Airport Extreme. (I also ran kext util and rebooted a 2nd time, just to be sure).

Any help?

edit: digging around, I see that SnowR1000 is supposed to installl RealtekR1000SL.kext in S/L/E.. when I looked, it was not there (even tho the installed appeared to have run successfully. I re-ran (then ran kext util just in case) and rebooted, and now its working.

Hello all,
Just checking back to this thread to update my install previously done with the old instructions using the hidden EFI partition. From what I've read, there's no pros or cons to either method other than one's preference on having the required files in the root of the drive or hidden. So I've made the required changes: generated my own DSDT and updated to 10.6.2 and all looks well.
Have the following questions though:
1. Bonjour fix - Like the quoted above, I also ran the SnowR1000 and it ran successfully but I don't see the kext in S/L/E. Have also copied it to S/L/E and dragged it to kext utility and rebuild extensions.mkext but I'm not sure if anything has changed or improved. I have a rev 1 board and ethernet worked out of the box. However, my samba shares are wonky in that I get intermittent disconnects when streaming media from the hackintosh. When this happens, my other devices will fail to connect to the samba shares. After some length of time, things work again.

2. Auto sleep doesn't work reliably. It seems to work right after startup but at some point stops working. Will try the script soon.

3. Speedstep - Would like to get this working as well but have not tried. Anyone successfully done this with a E5300?

Thanks

zim2dive 01-14-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubsterpete (Post 43049)
2. Auto sleep doesn't work reliably. It seems to work right after startup but at some point stops working. Will try the script soon.

Per a hint I got, if I leave a disc in the drive, it will auto-sleep (wacky, but it works)

cgates30 01-16-2010 09:54 AM

I'm trying to get through the guide (original post). I started with 10.5.7 installed on the G31M-ES2L. I made my usb stick and went through the steps listed in the OP. Press F12 in start up, select my usb drive, do the install. Then I restart, press f12, select the usb drive again, but it only gives me the option to select a drive to install to again. How do I enable the startup from SATA drive where I installed SL? Am I missing a step between the lines?

cgates30 01-17-2010 01:38 AM

I'm booting into SL on the usb drive, but when I try to create the dsdt.dsl file I get some errors and no ASL file (only a log file). Any advice?

cgates30 01-17-2010 02:28 AM

Used the .asl file and can boot from the SATA drive now, but not seeing the drive icon on the desktop. Can browse hdd by opening a finder window, but something must be broke.

Also, how do I change the start up theme?

zim2dive 01-17-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgates30 (Post 43158)
Used the .asl file and can boot from the SATA drive now, but not seeing the drive icon on the desktop. Can browse hdd by opening a finder window, but something must be broke.

Finder -> Preferences -> (what to show on Desktop)

cgates30 01-18-2010 07:53 AM

thanks

So I went through the guide again and I'm still having problems.
1- waking from sleep reboots the computer
2- only audio is usb

infiniteThanks 01-18-2010 09:35 PM

Audio problem fix ... repost

iztec, jetpr : I made every mistake as far as audio is concerned but now it is all good. Here is some stuff:
(a) Use the the DSDT update posted by brfransen,
(b) Update the extensions.mkext under /Extra. It may be that the LegacyALC883.kext is not being picked up. Look for a posting by me, infinitethanks, for a long way to do it and responses by smarter people to my posting for a short way to do it.
(b) Use option, system profiler to check the audio profile. If it is not available, you may not have set the audio to auto in bios.
(c) when everything is set correctly, my audio profile looks like the following:
Device ID: 0x1458A002
Audio ID: 883
Available Devices:
Speaker:
Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack
Line Out:
Line Out:
Line Out:
Internal Microphone:
Connection: Internal
External Microphone:
Line In:
Headphone:
S/P-DIF Out:
Connection: RCA

My Bios version is F8
Thank you

alltoorobot 01-18-2010 11:59 PM

Zim2dive How did you over clock your e5200? I have the same board and processor any chance you could do a walk short through?

sapam 01-19-2010 03:04 AM

using dsdt or -pci1 gives black screen

Hi folks,

I've been following the guide meticulously for the rig in my signature, but every time I patch my dsdt file and reboot, I get a black screen after the first boot banner. This happens whether I make my own (compiled without errors after removing the problematic quotation marks), or whether I use the dsdt file supplied in the kit. LAN is working fine, but sleep, video (8600gt 512mb) and sound are not. I've looked at some of the prior "Black screen" posts, but that problem seems unrelated.

Interestingly, this is exactly what happens when I try booting with -pci1, the boot modifier that the graphicsenabler says sometimes works for video cards that don't work out of the box.

any ideas?

riadtania 01-19-2010 08:40 AM

Thanks to all who made contribution to this forum thread. I managed to install this into my SONY VAIO BZ560 laptop with GUID partition. My goal is to make dual OS. I coped OSinstall.mpkg file into the system library locaation where it suppose to be store for installation, but it failed. I also tried it with retail DVD from Apple, but it failed. of course, i think it was developed for GUID partition table, not MBR.

Does anyone have any suggestion? This thread is the most successful I ever came up this far. Please help me this. I am almost there. Thanks again to everyone.

hmook 01-20-2010 12:38 AM

Boot problem

Hi I have a problem booting in to my new OSX10.6 installation. The installation is done with the MyHack method.

When I boot with my installation USBdrive still in my computer there is no problem. I can boot in to the bootloader and select my harddrive where I've installed OSX10.6.

When I take out my USBdrive to boot normally it gives me this error message:

Verifying DMI Pool Data

>62970080
<00000002
000000C1
*<00064028
J_

The underscoure after the 'J' is blinking but I can't type anything. Neither can I press 'enter' or any other button.

Could anyone help me getting my hackintosh booting without the use of my USBpendrive?

lflashl 01-20-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riadtania (Post 43299)
Thanks to all who made contribution to this forum thread. I managed to install this into my SONY VAIO BZ560 laptop with GUID partition. My goal is to make dual OS. I coped OSinstall.mpkg file into the system library locaation where it suppose to be store for installation, but it failed. I also tried it with retail DVD from Apple, but it failed. of course, i think it was developed for GUID partition table, not MBR.

Does anyone have any suggestion? This thread is the most successful I ever came up this far. Please help me this. I am almost there. Thanks again to everyone.

YEs please move to another thread! this is not for SONY VAIO BZ560. Its for G31M-ES2L Motherboard.

lflashl 01-20-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapam (Post 43292)
Hi folks,

I've been following the guide meticulously for the rig in my signature, but every time I patch my dsdt file and reboot, I get a black screen after the first boot banner. This happens whether I make my own (compiled without errors after removing the problematic quotation marks), or whether I use the dsdt file supplied in the kit. LAN is working fine, but sleep, video (8600gt 512mb) and sound are not. I've looked at some of the prior "Black screen" posts, but that problem seems unrelated.

Interestingly, this is exactly what happens when I try booting with -pci1, the boot modifier that the graphicsenabler says sometimes works for video cards that don't work out of the box.

any ideas?

I just used the one the came in the zip package, and it works fine, i had issues also trying to make my own dsdt file, and ended up just using the one that came with the zip package. After doing so, everything works fine, so i can use it, and see what happens.

lflashl 01-20-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmook (Post 43372)
Hi I have a problem booting in to my new OSX10.6 installation. The installation is done with the MyHack method.

When I boot with my installation USBdrive still in my computer there is no problem. I can boot in to the bootloader and select my harddrive where I've installed OSX10.6.

When I take out my USBdrive to boot normally it gives me this error message:

Verifying DMI Pool Data

>62970080
<00000002
000000C1
*<00064028
J_

The underscoure after the 'J' is blinking but I can't type anything. Neither can I press 'enter' or any other button.

Could anyone help me getting my hackintosh booting without the use of my USBpendrive?

Sound like you have not ran the myhack install after you installed Snow Leopard. Try reinstalling the myHack again. so boot into your snow leopard and run myHack install. The myHack will install the boot loader you need to not need the USB key everytime you want to run Snow Leopard.

lflashl 01-20-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riadtania (Post 43015)
Sorry guys. I am in the wrong threads. Actually, I tried so many solutions, i cannot even make it to work. This threads solution is the only thing that took me to install snow leopard successfully.

If you dont' mind, can you please direct me place where I can find some solution. I have VGN-BZ560 laptop. Google it a lot and couldn't find anybody who had success install Snow Leopard.

Again, when I tried to install SL from USB, it doesn't see my laptop internal HD and after installing into different partition from USB, i cannot boot from it. I get error message as:

error0: failed.

Please help me to right place or solution that might work for my laptop. Really appreciate for your help and valuable time.

This thread is for the G31M motherboard, not for a laptop.. you'll get better answers if you post your question in a more appropriate location.

hmook 01-20-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lflashl (Post 43397)
Sound like you have not ran the myhack install after you installed Snow Leopard. Try reinstalling the myHack again. so boot into your snow leopard and run myHack install. The myHack will install the boot loader you need to not need the USB key everytime you want to run Snow Leopard.

Thanks for the reaction, I've already tried to install MyHack again but it won't work.

zim2dive 01-20-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alltoorobot (Post 43275)
Zim2dive How did you over clock your e5200? I have the same board and processor any chance you could do a walk short through?

see post #402: http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide...post41881.html

I can try to answer other questions, but as I said there.. this was my 1st OC, so I was just re-using instructions someone else gave me.. but it did seem to work.

EDIT: and has been running stable ever since, tho its in sleep 95% of the day.

hmook 01-20-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lflashl (Post 43397)

My Problem solved.

I've installed a early version of chameleon boot loader. After that I've done a reboot with the USBdrive. Then again install de MyHack on you MacOSX Harddrive and it's done!

zim2dive 01-22-2010 12:13 AM

Installed the Bonjour update 2010-001, Security Update, Remote Desktop update, and Xcode update.

So far so good. Rebooted just fine. Internet still works.

dencraig 01-22-2010 04:53 AM

Boot from Thumbstick does not work...?

I have a G41M-ESL2. I've been trying for awhile to get it to boot into SL. I completed the entire process of restoring my SL Retail Disk to my 8GB USB stick and ran the routines, edited the plist file, etc. I put the thumbstick in my gigabyte machine but the BIOS only has a USB HD option. Since the thumbstick is sort of one of those, I tried it. It did not boot from it. I then burned the 8gig thumbstick to an 8G DVD, thinking that might be a good way to get it to boot: no luck (does not boot computer). I compared the two (disk and thumbdrive) and they look the same to me in my Wind PC Hackintosh... any suggestoins? Thanks.

zim2dive 01-22-2010 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dencraig (Post 43541)
I have a G41M-ESL2. I've been trying for awhile to get it to boot into SL. I completed the entire process of restoring my SL Retail Disk to my 8GB USB stick and ran the routines, edited the plist file, etc. I put the thumbstick in my gigabyte machine but the BIOS only has a USB HD option. Since the thumbstick is sort of one of those, I tried it. It did not boot from it. I then burned the 8gig thumbstick to an 8G DVD, thinking that might be a good way to get it to boot: no luck (does not boot computer). I compared the two (disk and thumbdrive) and they look the same to me in my Wind PC Hackintosh... any suggestoins? Thanks.

Not trying to be a @$$ but...

a) buy a g31M
b) find (or start) a thread about G41M

I mean really.. when I bought I was looking at the G41M, its a nice card... but.... I stuck with the G31 specifically for this reason.

dencraig 01-22-2010 05:17 AM

Thanks anyway

I followed a thread on Insanely Mac that indicated that this process works perfectly also for the G4 model. Maybe not. Thanks anyway.

lflashl 01-22-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dencraig (Post 43541)

fir the G3 board, press f12 @ boot then select HD and there USB flash drive is in there, you could try this!

ayame 01-22-2010 10:27 AM

Shutdown

Hi guys,

thanks for this very good Thread. I user my Hack since 3 months, all is going perfectly. I assembled many hacks, and this hack is going the best way of all ! THANKS !

But one question is left. I have the problem, that i can't shutdown the hack. Sleep is going well, but restart and shutdown isn't going. It hanks at the blue background where this circle rotates :)

Does anyone knows if this is normal ?

macdaddy247 01-23-2010 02:58 AM

G31M ES2L ethernet.

Hi All,

Would really appreciate some help.

I followed the above install, and it has gone pretty well, apart from the sound, which I'm going to tackle later.

Anyway, more importantly is the ethernet. I am using a small case and am limited with PCI slots (so no space for wifi card).

I was aware that the onboard ethernet wouldn't work (or so I have read). So bought a startech st100slp ethernet card.

It shows up as working on the system, but when I go to network, there is a red light next to it.
Anyone know how to get it working for the internet?

Thanks in advance!

zim2dive 01-23-2010 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macdaddy247 (Post 43604)
Anyway, more importantly is the ethernet. I am using a small case and am limited with PCI slots (so no space for wifi card).

I was aware that the onboard ethernet wouldn't work (or so I have read). So bought a startech st100slp ethernet card.

You didn't explicitly say.. you have a rev 2 mobo? (rev 1 NIC works)

macdaddy247 01-23-2010 10:49 AM

Hi,

Yes, sorry it's rev 2.
The onboard ethernet is completely dead and not recognised by SL.
So I added the card, and everything started off fine -SL picked up the ethernet card in "about this mac.

But, when I try to connect to the net, it tells me that there is some sort of problem with the connection. The ethernet has a red light next to it (as opposed to green) and it's not listed in networks, so I can tweak its settings.
Is there a driver that I need? Couldn't find one for a startech card.p

thanks!

dencraig 01-23-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lflashl (Post 43553)
fir the G3 board, press f12 @ boot then select HD and there USB flash drive is in there, you could try this!

matthewordie 01-23-2010 07:31 PM

I followed the instructions for creating the USB Bootable drive. When I turn on my computer and hit F12 for boot menu... I use USB-FDD and USB-HDD. I've tried both, but neither works. It just sits there and says:

Verifying DMI Pool Data.....

Did I do something wrong when I created my USB Drive? Everything seemed to go smoothly on the mac side.

GigaMac 01-24-2010 02:01 PM

matthewordie
Did you use a MacOX 10.4 to create the USB boot disk? I saw someone posted similar problem due to using a Tiger instead of Leopard (or SL) to create the boot disk.

cgates30 01-24-2010 08:27 PM

I did the 10.6.2 combo update from a fresh install. Removed the old sleepenabler and installed the new one before rebooting. Everything seems to work well except I get a message that my external hdd wasn't properly ejected when I wake the computer up. Is there a fix for this?

matthewordie 01-24-2010 11:30 PM

I used Leopard. 10.5.8 I believe.

yogi446 01-26-2010 03:51 PM

"message that my external hdd wasn't properly ejected when I wake the computer up. Is there a fix for this?"

Yes, you need to edit your DSDT, many fixes posted on various forums. Do some googling.