InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

shadowro 04-25-2010 03:01 AM

installed as instructions provided in post #1
everything was working

downloaded 10.6.3 combo from website, took out sleep enabler kext, boom,
no audio, fuzzy image via hdmi on ASUS 9400GT.

tried with 10.6.2 audio, nothing

back to 10.6, downloaded 10.6.2 combo from website, took out sleep enabler kext, boom, no audio, video is ok

installed patched 10.6.2-AppleHDAInstaller.zip, nothing

10.6 working with LegacyALC883.kext

any ideas?

thanks.

G31M ES2L rev.1.1

http://www.kexts.com/view/185-alc883_snow_leopard.html
and Kext Utility
sound back

zim2dive 04-25-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowro (Post 47719)
installed as instructions provided in post #1
everything was working

downloaded 10.6.3 combo from website, took out sleep enabler kext, boom,
no audio, fuzzy image via hdmi on ASUS 9400GT.

tried with 10.6.2 audio, nothing

back to 10.6, downloaded 10.6.2 combo from website, took out sleep enabler kext, boom, no audio, video is ok

installed patched 10.6.2-AppleHDAInstaller.zip, nothing

10.6 working with LegacyALC883.kext

any ideas?

thanks.

G31M ES2L rev.1.1

http://www.kexts.com/view/185-alc883_snow_leopard.html
and Kext Utility
sound back

There are reports in other forums about HDMI issues. I use DVI, so I haven't kept track, but you may want to look into those.

notion 04-26-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhuanghust (Post 46340)
Hi everyone,

I followed the step to install my snow leopard but have problems with first boot.
First Boot:
● press F12 Boot Menu again then choose your USB flash drive, we need to do this because our SATA drive is not bootable on it's own yet
● on the Chameleon selection screen, choose your never booted Snow Leopard drive/partition . (Encouter problem, i can only see the flash install driver here.)

I guess it may related to Extra/com.app.boot.plist. Below is mine, Could anyone give a help ?

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>bootcamp</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I am having the exact same problem, did you ever figure out a solution to see the drive where Snow Leopard installed?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out what the problem was... my keyboard didn't work with boot up for some reason, but switched to a different one and now everything's great!

bunun 04-29-2010 03:36 AM

sound still not working, i have a rev2 board, looked at the past few solutions, and im still sol.

rwillett 04-29-2010 11:06 AM

Update on 10.6.3 - USB disconnects fixed

I thought I'd share my experiences on how I got 10.6.3 working on my G31M-ES2L board. I had a number of issues with the first upgrade and went back and installed from scratch.

First of all a full system restore from a local Time Machine doesn't work. I never managed to get the boot partition to work after this. A restore of user accounts, and everything else does work though.

I had a working system through following this guide all the way to 10.6.2. USB worked fine, I had the initial black screen on first boot until the screen saver kicked in and I never, ever got sleep to work :)

I wanted to upgrade to 10.6.3, I followed the instructions here, removed the sleepenabler.kext, upgraded to 10.6.3 and then applied the new upgraded sleepenabler.kext. Blue screen, mmm.... lets downgrade using Time machine back to 10.6.2, rats, either it doesn't restore or screws the boot partition <sigh>, do proper install from USB key.

Full install from USB key, chose to restore user and applications from the Time Machine backup and, blow me down with a feather, it works.

Took sleepenabler out, upgraded to 10.6.3, installed sleepenabler and this time it worked. No idea why.

However my external powered USB hub would connect and disconnect every five seconds or so. I noticed this as I have an iMic connected to the hub to power my speakers as I don't use the internal audio. This was originally because my external speakers didn't have a volume control and the output from the motherboard was too loud. I have since changed the speakers but left the iMic in as it was a zero maintenance item and I didn't have to worry about sound kexts as it was external.

I could see errors in the console so looked further into the problem. There were definite USB disconnects. A trawl round the internet produced this site

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/...63-update.html

I could see there were some USB issues and various fixes. Since I didn't understand DSDT I thought I'd simply download the
"Non-Vanilla USB Solution - For Non-DSDT Users with No USB " fix.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/Public/10....yInstaller.zip

I ran this and rebooted. My USB issues had gone, no disconnects, no problems so far.

As an aside my black screen on initial boot has also gone. I have not yet fixed the sleep issue but lets cross that bridge later :)

hope this helps somebody.

macdaddy247 04-30-2010 09:55 AM

Success at last.

Well, it wasn't easy, but I have finally got my G31M ES2L Rev 2 system fully working.

Here's the hardware:

- Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L Intel G31 Video/Sound Socket 775 mATX Motherboard
- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5400 2.7GHz 'Wolfdale' 2MB Cache 45nm LGA775 (800Mhz)
- Samsung SH-S223B/RSMN 22x DVDR/RW Dual Layer SATA Multi Bezel
- Asus 512MB GDDR2 GeForce 9400GT DVI/HDMI (PCI-E) With Low Profile Bracket
- Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400 DDR2 DIMM Memory Kit
- 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 7200RPM SATA 3Gb 16MB Cache

I did two things that made this process a whole lot more complicated that it needed to be.
1) I got a rev 2 board instead of rev 1 (meaning that I would have to spend ages unsuccessfully trying to get ethernet working).
2) I used a small form factor case (which requires low profile brackets for PCI cards), mainly because I got it really cheap (around £7 or $12).

Of course, hats off to the original creator of this thread. The instructions were clear, and I managed to get snow leopard running without any errors or crashes.

I discovered, after a bit of trying that the rev 2 on board ethernet wouldn't work, so bought a NIC. However, as I needed a low profile bracket, I was restricted to the Startech st100s which, after a lot of playing with, didn't work (anyone who wants to buy that off me for a non snow leopard project? :)).

The frustration got too much, so in the end I cheated a bit and bought a USB ethernet adaptor from Apple which worked OTB.

The audio also gave me a few problems. I followed the instructions in this thread, but it still didn't want to work.
So, in adition to the ALC883 legacy kext, I also had to stick in the Apple HDA kext and used Kext Utility, plus the pfix included in the original instructions to get things going.
I'm not entirely sure what it was that finally made it all work, but the main thing is that I have sound.

A Mac on a tiny budget. After some hours, and some stress, I'm a happy man!

I have been considering running an update to 10.6.2, but I'm scared that it might break it. :-/

rwillett 04-30-2010 01:28 PM

Upgrading to 10.6.2 is easy, lots of comments on this thread. Upgrading to 10.6.3 is more of an issue with kexts and external USB, see my previous comment.

macdaddy247 04-30-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwillett (Post 47871)
Upgrading to 10.6.2 is easy, lots of comments on this thread. Upgrading to 10.6.3 is more of an issue with kexts and external USB, see my previous comment.

Just out of interest, is there anything in the updates that is crucial to its smooth operation?
I'm only really going to be using my machine for video editing, so web security updates etc aren't overly important.

From the top of your head, are there any major fixes that are highly recommended?
If so, I will probably have a go.

rwillett 04-30-2010 06:26 PM

Upgrading to 10.6.[23]

I'm not sure of the exact details but I know there are stability updates within the major updates, they are NOT just security. On the whole I would advise you to upgrade, however if your machine is not on the network and it's perfectly stable, there may be no need.

You mileage may vary though :)

Rob

bunun 05-01-2010 05:54 PM

in the first post, it was clear that Ethernet would not work with rev 2 boards. your fail

macdaddy247 05-03-2010 08:17 AM

Typical.

Ha ha,

Typical!
The evening after I posted about my successful sl build, I got home and it wasn't working properly.
Sound had vanished again (couldn't get it back for some reason. And every 1 in three restarts would bring up a blank blue screen instead of the desktop. The only way to bring the desktop up bing to swith the machine of and on again real fast (bringing it back before it has the chance to actually power down.

I did use the migration tool to copy across some programs and files. This seems to have been the cause of it all. Perhaps because the 2 machines were on different releases of sl (10.6.0 and 10.6.3).
Doh. Back to the drawing board.

macdaddy247 05-05-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunun (Post 47889)
in the first post, it was clear that Ethernet would not work with rev 2 boards. your fail

Yeah... I know... :o

Must have over-looked it with all the excitement...

OmniAtlas 05-09-2010 01:42 AM

Hey all, followed the directions and installed Snow Leopard on my G31M-S2L (not the G31M-ES2l); had initial problems because I have an ATI-4850 and the boot loader doesn't support the graphics chip, so I had to install with the -x fix. Someone should ask them to include the new boot file from netkas.org which supports more recent graphics cards.

Nevertheless, got it installed, and got graphics working with ATI4800Controller.kext (after making changes to ATI4800Controller.kext). Installed 10.6.3 -- reinstalled the new sleep enabler, graphics didn't work again so I had to revert to drivers from 10.6.2. I have a external sound card via USB (creative X-MON) so everything works fine.

I was a bit confused with the DSDT file because the changes mentioned couldn't be found in my personalised dsdt file. I moved it to /Extras anyway.

Now, my only problem, my SL hard drive sometimes randomly just reads and I can't do anything on my computer. For example, I'll be surfing with google chrome with minimal apps open, and the red light on my computer will blink for a minute or so. In that time period I can't do anything. I'm using a SATA hard drive, with S.M.A.R.T turned on, partition map type is MBR shared with a Windows 7 partition.

Has anyone experienced this? I've run iDefrag, but I still have the problem. I have 4 GB of physical ram which I think is sufficient to run SL. I'd appreciate any help!

rwillett 05-19-2010 12:24 PM

Anybody using the quad core CPU's on this MB?

I have a working system using the dual core CPU. It's nicely patched upto 10.6.3 and works very well.

However as is the nature of these things, I want something quicker and wondered if anybody has put a quad core CPU on the G31M board. is there a tremendous difference in speed, is it kinda nice but the OS ignores the 3rd and 4th cores.

Any information welcomed.

Thanks,

Rob.

zim2dive 05-19-2010 11:06 PM

fan control?

I'd like to connect and use the 3-pin fan on the mobo, but it seems like its always on full tilt.

SMC fan control crashes when I try to run that, and "Fan Control 1.2" reports -1 rpm for the fan :)

anyone had any luck controlling the fans with our mobo?

ae86keidori 05-22-2010 06:49 PM

help!!!

I followed the directions to the letter my system configuration is follows:

mobo: ga-g31m-es2l ver2
ram: 2gb ddr 800
hd: 620gb wd sata
optical drive: dvdrw lg sata
video card: msi nvidia 9400gt

I formated my thumb drive with guid, then restored the snow lepord image to my thumb drive, ran my hack install (with the options provided) and pointed the install to my thumb drive, edited my plist and then booted to my thumb drive. It all looks like its loading fine then it hangs on "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCpuPower Managment) timed out"

From my understanding when your running the setup for my hackinstaller and you choose the nullcpumanagment.kext this should solve the problem. However it gets stuck on this point, any help would be greatly appreciated!

ZappedC64 05-23-2010 03:19 PM

10.6.3 update and Extensions

Hello,

I have the same motherboard as in the title of this forum post. I got my system fully functional with the instructions in this forum, yes, even sound. :) After I upgraded to 10.6.3, I lost sound and could not get it back.

I was able to get the sound back... but through probably the wrong way. I wiped the drive and reinstalled. After I had everything working, I backed up the Extensions directory. Then I updated to 10.6.3, rebooted, renamed the updated Extenstions directory, and then put the pre 10.6.3 Extensions directory back in place and ran pfix.

Are there any downsides to what I did?

Kind regards,
-=ZappedC64=-

dal 05-26-2010 03:30 PM

boot issue

I'm getting a no boot disk error after installing snow leopard following this guide but can still boot into OSX & windows 7 using the bootable flash drive that was used for the install. Chameleon loads up from the flash drive but i'd really like to bypass the flash drive and boot from the hard drive.
I only have one hard drive and it has 4 partitions on it. One for windows 7 recovery, windows 7, xp , and osx. The osx partition was added last.
When I boot off the flash, chameleon loads and I can choose to boot into osx, or the windows loader where I can choose between 7 and xp.

Thanks in advance

David

zcream 06-10-2010 10:07 AM

Ethernet AR8131 for ES2l v2

In case someone missed out, there is a kext to enable onboard ethernet with the ar8131 chipset. Ethernet is working great on my ES2L v2 with 10.6.3 but sound is a biiiig problem.
Look here..
http://code.google.com/p/iats/downloads/list

BlaSTiWi 06-14-2010 02:31 AM

Tkx! What's L1 & L2 stuff? Which particular one to use?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcream (Post 48746)
In case someone missed out, there is a kext to enable onboard ethernet with the ar8131 chipset. Ethernet is working great on my ES2L v2 with 10.6.3 but sound is a biiiig problem.
Look here..

bobbyd 06-14-2010 03:30 AM

Which Ethernet kext for AR8131? Rev2 sound fix

1 Attachment(s)
I second the last post, which one of those listed on the google code site is the one to install for ethernet?

I have sound working on my rev 2, on 10.6.3. Use the attached Apple Azalia Audio kext and your sound should start working. But note that you must be booting into 32-bit.

If anyone on rev 2 (or rev 1) is booting into 64bit and has sound fully functioning, please tell us how! Also if anyone on rev 2 could please post their dsdt, that'd be great too! Thanks!

zcream 06-14-2010 08:22 AM

L1C works for the ar8131 that the rev 2 boards have.

dkrender 06-14-2010 08:13 PM

bobbyd's install works as far as getting audio output goes. There are no options whatsoever for input/microphones. VoodooHDA seems to work a little bit better. I'm using 0.2.2b from their official forums, and it still doesn't give me microphone support, but I can get my guitar to work that I'm using through line-in. I'm using 32-bit 10.6.3 on a Rev.1, by the way.

I'm really miffed that Apple managed to break kext support for a lot of older kexts. Under 10.6.2 I had everything working, Mic+Speakers+Line-in. I'm considering swapping motherboards to have something that works. :/

sublimespot 06-15-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcream (Post 48746)
Look here..

I put AtherosL1cEthernet.kext in my Extensions folder for LAN success on v2 boards. After doing this I lost sound and have to boot with -f EVERY TIME in order to get the system to boot. grr. Also this v2 board has random crashes quite a bit. My v1 board is rock solid.

dkrender 06-15-2010 06:33 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I feel obligated to post this.

For anyone having trouble getting the audio to work after the 10.6.3 update, I did find a fully working solution that has all features enabled, including front panel audio, microphone and line-in support.

1) You need the AppleHDA.kext file extracted from the 10.6.2 combo update that can be downloaded from Apple.com's downloads. You also need the LegacyALC883.kext from the ES2L Kit listed in the first post of this thread.

2) Use Pacifist to extract the AppleHDA.kext file from the 106.2 combo update from Apple. When browsing through the update, the file should be located in System/Library/Extensions.

3) Replace AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E on your own Hackintosh drive with this older version. Open Disk Utility and repair your permissions.

4) Put LegacyALC883.kext in your /Extras/Extensions folder (located in the root of your Hackintosh drive.) Use the pfix utility to repair the permissions on drive.

5) Restart and you should be golden.

**Be aware that I'm no expert on this. I'm guessing you'll also need a patched dsdt.aml file that's outline in the first post of this thread. I also doubt this fix will work with other models/brands of motherboards.)

sublimespot 06-15-2010 07:05 PM

That LegacyHDA from 10.6.2 gets sound back on my rev2 board under 10.6.3

dkrender 06-16-2010 04:03 AM

Just in case anyone is wondering...

I did the upgrade to 10.6.4 and got a kernel panic. It seems like it's related to the SleepEnabler kext. I believe there were problems of this same nature going from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3. I haven't been able to resolve it yet since my Mac OS installation will not load, even in safe mode. I think it's safe to say that people may want to remove the kext before doing the update.

m0nk 06-16-2010 06:48 AM

Just did the 10.6.4 update I removed sleepenabler kext, It installed without a problem. sound and ethernet still work, My update was only 300 some megs I have another laptop to upgrade and the 10.6.4 update is over 900 megs so... the 300 one seems safe :)

bobbyd 06-16-2010 09:43 AM

Files for Successful 10.6.4 (on Rev 2)

2 Attachment(s)
Here's everything I have, thought it'd be useful for anyone who's stuck.
I'm on 10.6.4 in 64 bit mode with everything working great besides sleep (which isn't a big deal for me).

The kexts in my Extra/Extensions folder are:
fakesmc
JMicronATA
NullCPUPowerManagement
NVEnabler64
OpenHaltRestart
PlatformUUID

Additional kexts that I installed on top of everything to S/L/E:
LegacyALC883
AtherosL1cEthernet
AppleHDA

I attached my Extra folder to this post, in it you'll find all the kexts I mentioned along with my DSDT. Hope this helps!

zim2dive 06-16-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkrender (Post 48840)
Just in case anyone is wondering...

I did the upgrade to 10.6.4 and got a kernel panic. It seems like it's related to the SleepEnabler kext. I believe there were problems of this same nature going from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3. I haven't been able to resolve it yet since my Mac OS installation will not load, even in safe mode. I think it's safe to say that people may want to remove the kext before doing the update.

Dunno if post #8 here will help you

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=221273

EDIT: and/or http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=196466

zim2dive 06-16-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0nk (Post 48843)
Just did the 10.6.4 update I removed sleepenabler kext, It installed without a problem. sound and ethernet still work, My update was only 300 some megs I have another laptop to upgrade and the 10.6.4 update is over 900 megs so... the 300 one seems safe :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyd (Post 48846)
I'm on 10.6.4 in 64 bit mode with everything working great besides sleep (which isn't a big deal for me).

fakesmc
JMicronATA
NullCPUPowerManagement
NVEnabler64
OpenHaltRestart
PlatformUUID

LegacyALC883
AtherosL1cEthernet
AppleHDA

I attached my Extra folder to this post, in it you'll find all the kexts I mentioned along with my DSDT. Hope this helps!

I noticed one person had to use the AppleHDA kext from 10.6.2 for audio (just as we had to for 10.6.3), but the other didn't mention it)

Please post which versions of mobo you have (and/or add a .sig in your user profile). Thanks!

BlaSTiWi 06-17-2010 02:41 AM

Where did you get your DSDT file? Just wonderin' 'cuz the size of my DSDT is 16K (from the OP zip on the 1st pg) and your DSDT in the zip you provided is 20K ... I wonder what's the diff. in it.

Tkx!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyd (Post 48846)

fakesmc
JMicronATA
NullCPUPowerManagement
NVEnabler64
OpenHaltRestart
PlatformUUID

LegacyALC883
AtherosL1cEthernet
AppleHDA

miko88 06-18-2010 08:40 AM

GA-g31m-es2l R2.0 with nvidia 7300 GT 256mb

Hi! I'm new in this forum, I'm already registred in the InsanelyMac forum with the same nick name.
I bought a GA-g31m-es2l R2.0 and installed with Snow Leopard Retail of this guide. Seems work fine. Can I boot in x64 with a GF 7300 GT or is supported only in x32 mode? Sorry for my bad English, I'm Italian.
Thanks

infiniteThanks 06-20-2010 07:28 AM

Audio Pain, 10.6.4 etc.

I could not get audio to work after moving to 10.6.3 no matter how hard I tried. So i did something drastic:
Got a USB stereo adapter. You may pick any of the ones available; I picked the one that works without drivers for OSX. The one I chose was the Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter based on the C-Media Chipset.

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAU.../dp/B001MSS6CS.

Why? It is 9.99 at Amazon.

Step 1. Remove all audio related kexts from /Extra/Extensions. In my case they were AppleHDA.kext and LegacyALC883.kext.

Step 2: REMOVE /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext. This is to avoid a kernel panic when you install 10.6.4

Step 3: Rebuild /Extra/Extensions.mkext. Use mkexttool.app or the following command line:
sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

You can optimize based on if you are running 32 bit mode or 6 bit mode by using only the -a i386 or -a x86_64 respectively.

Step 3: Download Updates 10.6.4 Pretty big. Reboot.

Step 4: Attach the USB sound device and plug in speaker and microphone inputs. Make sure that everything is pushed in completely.

Step 5: Go to System Preferences -> Sound. You should see C-Media USB Audio.

Make sure the volume for microphone is set properly. Mine was set to minimum.

There seems to be a new SleepEnabler out but some people have had issues with it. So I am waiting for the jury.

JertheMacUser 06-20-2010 11:48 PM

Hi, new to the board here. I'm just cross posting on this forum as well to share my experience installing SL 10.6.3 on the Ga-G31m-es2l board.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3080

Cliff notes:
I used the iBoot method and was able to successfully install. As expected sound, lan, and sleep are not working but am looking into it. I can also verify that the network drivers work from this link http://code.google.com/p/iats/downloads/list worked for me.

twr 06-22-2010 04:23 PM

hello there,

being a user of a G31M-ES2L rev. 1, I'd really like to be able to use the top-of-the-art DSDT provided on the first page, but actually, when I just put it into my /E/E (using C2 pré RC5, boothfs / fdisk440 flavour, so that my W7 x64 can sleep), my boot hangs after lots of messages about vmware fusion modules loading.

obviously, I'm missing something : any clue ?

another question : what am I supposed to do with the ES2Lw/allcurrentfixes.dsl file ? must I just compile it then try to boot ??

for now I'm kind of lost, so any help would be appreciated ...

zcream 06-24-2010 01:50 PM

I used this guide and am now at 10.6.3, Sleep is a problem though. Sometimes sleep works and I can wakeup the system.
Sometimes, the motherboard wakes up, the CPU fans spins but I cannot get the display back and I have to reboot.
I also get the USB device error if a USB device was plugged in before going to sleep.
I have the v2 board with the ar8131 kext for Ethernet.

simsim 06-26-2010 08:21 PM

10.6.3 to 10.6.4 update

Updated to 10.6.4.

Removed sleepenabler before update.
Only problem after restart was sound but AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2. made it work again.

32bit rev 1 board
kexts in extra:

fakesmc.kext
LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext
LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext

zim2dive 06-27-2010 05:39 PM

Rev 1 board, update from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4

Removed SleepEnabler from /E/E
Copied /S/L/E/AppleHda.kext to a save folder
ran kext util

Downloaded combo update, ran, rebooted

No sound (expected).

Copied saved AppleHDA to /S/L/E
Copied new 10.6.4 SleepEnabler to /E/E
ran kext util

rebooted

No sound.

re-copied the 10.6.2 AppleHDA and rebooted.. still no luck.

Tried running the Tonymac 10.6.2 AppleHDA installer.. got a KP on reboot after that. Sigh.

Booted into my back partition and copied AppleHDA over from that to my main partition. Removed kext caches. Rebooted. Booting to 10.6.4 again, still no audio device tho.

What am I missing??

EDIT: per following this guide from day1, my /E/E is
Code:

LegacyALC883.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext
SleepEnabler.kext
fakesmc.kext

EDIT2: Using AppleHDA.kext-10.6.4-ALC883.zip from http://www.mediafire.com/?khmky1qwzzz I have audio again. Not sure why the 10.6.2 AppleHDA was not sufficient??

zcream 06-28-2010 11:11 AM

Has anyone encountered the following sleep issues ?
Sometimes the system goes to sleep and clicking the mouse brings it back on.
sometimes the system wakes up, but the display is still black and the display does not come back online.
Just wondering if anyone has encountered this issue and what the fix might be ?
I have the v2 ES2l board with the ar8131 ethernet drivers. Graphics is a Gigabyte 8500GT 512MB card.

zim2dive 06-28-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcream (Post 49119)
sometimes the system wakes up, but the display is still black and the display does not come back online.
I have the v2 ES2l board with the ar8131 ethernet drivers. Graphics is a Gigabyte 8500GT 512MB card.

I have no issues waking up with rev 1 mobo.

sobanek 07-01-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcream (Post 49119)

Where did you get the ar8131 ethernet drivers? Can you post a link please? I've been looking for it for over a month!

chibiace 07-05-2010 04:50 AM

anybody know how i would go about doing these directions under linux or windows?

i dont currently have access to osx,

any help would be welcome! im mostly looking for where to put the device drivers.
and stuff so that it will boot the SL installer.

rwillett 07-08-2010 10:00 PM

Benchmark of quad core vs dual core on G31M-ES2L

I took the plunge and ordered a quad core Q8300 and fitted it to replace my E6300 dual core. I do a lot of video rework and wanted multiple cores.

The older dual core is 2.8GHz, the newer quad core is 2.5Ghz. I figured the slight loss in outright speed is made up by the fact I now have four cores. I know I can overclock CPU's but that is absolutely not on the cards, so it'll stay at 2.5Ghz.

I benchmarked the dual core first.

Summary

Section Description Score Geekbench Score
Geekbench 2.1.6 for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)
Integer Processor integer performance 3249 3979
Floating Point Processor floating point performance 5838
Memory Memory performance 2897
Stream Memory bandwidth performance 2194
System Information

Operating System Mac OS X 10.6.3 (Build 10D578)
Model Hackintosh Motherboard Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L x.x
Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6300 @ 2.80GHz
Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processors 1 Threads 2
Cores 2 Memory 4.00 GB 1066 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Processor Frequency 2.83 GHz Bus Frequency 1.06 GHz
L1 Instruction Cache 32.0 KB L1 Data Cache 32.0 KB
L2 Cache 2.00 MB L3 Cache 0.00 B
BIOS Apple Computer, Inc. MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410
Integer Section

Section Score 3249

Blowfish
single-threaded scalar 1964
86.3 MB/sec

Blowfish
multi-threaded scalar 4141
169.7 MB/sec

Text Compress
single-threaded scalar 2182
6.98 MB/sec

Text Compress
multi-threaded scalar 4113
13.5 MB/sec

Text Decompress
single-threaded scalar 1976
8.12 MB/sec

Text Decompress
multi-threaded scalar 3929
15.7 MB/sec

Image Compress
single-threaded scalar 1999
16.5 Mpixels/sec

Image Compress
multi-threaded scalar 3790
31.9 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress
single-threaded scalar 1756
29.5 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress
multi-threaded scalar 3561
58.1 Mpixels/sec

Lua
single-threaded scalar 3220
1.24 Mnodes/sec

Lua
multi-threaded scalar 6363
2.45 Mnodes/sec

Floating Point Section

Section Score 5838

Mandelbrot
single-threaded scalar 2091
1.39 Gflops

Mandelbrot
multi-threaded scalar 4192
2.74 Gflops

Dot Product
single-threaded scalar 3833
1.85 Gflops

Dot Product
multi-threaded scalar 7993
3.64 Gflops

Dot Product
single-threaded vector 3065
3.67 Gflops

Dot Product
multi-threaded vector 7044
7.33 Gflops

LU Decomposition
single-threaded scalar 808
719.6 Mflops

LU Decomposition
multi-threaded scalar 1628
1.43 Gflops

Primality Test
single-threaded scalar 4599
687.0 Mflops

Primality Test
multi-threaded scalar 6982
1.30 Gflops

Sharpen Image
single-threaded scalar 5868
13.7 Mpixels/sec

Sharpen Image
multi-threaded scalar 11668
26.9 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image
single-threaded scalar 7389
5.85 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image
multi-threaded scalar 14580
11.5 Mpixels/sec

Memory Section

Section Score 2897

Read Sequential
single-threaded scalar 3653
4.47 GB/sec

Write Sequential
single-threaded scalar 3183
2.18 GB/sec

Stdlib Allocate
single-threaded scalar 2503
9.34 Mallocs/sec

Stdlib Write
single-threaded scalar 2536
5.25 GB/sec

Stdlib Copy
single-threaded scalar 2610
2.69 GB/sec

Stream Section

Section Score 2194

Stream Copy
single-threaded scalar 2137
2.92 GB/sec

Stream Copy
single-threaded vector 2365
3.07 GB/sec

Stream Scale
single-threaded scalar 2274
2.95 GB/sec

Stream Scale
single-threaded vector 2269
3.06 GB/sec

Stream Add
single-threaded scalar 1959
2.96 GB/sec

Stream Add
single-threaded vector 2526
3.51 GB/sec

Stream Triad
single-threaded scalar 2153
2.98 GB/sec

Stream Triad
single-threaded vector 1874
3.51 GB/sec

and then benchmarked the quadcore, same hardware expect the CPU

Summary

Section Description Score Geekbench Score
Geekbench 2.1.6 for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)
Integer Processor integer performance 4489 5417
Floating Point Processor floating point performance 8575
Memory Memory performance 3065
Stream Memory bandwidth performance 2324
System Information

Operating System Mac OS X 10.6.3 (Build 10D578)
Model Hackintosh Motherboard Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L x.x
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processors 1 Threads 4
Cores 4 Memory 4.00 GB 1066 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Processor Frequency 2.56 GHz Bus Frequency 1.33 GHz
L1 Instruction Cache 32.0 KB L1 Data Cache 32.0 KB
L2 Cache 2.00 MB L3 Cache 0.00 B
BIOS Apple Computer, Inc. MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410
Integer Section

Section Score 4489

Blowfish
single-threaded scalar 1760
77.3 MB/sec

Blowfish
multi-threaded scalar 7378
302.4 MB/sec

Text Compress
single-threaded scalar 1946
6.22 MB/sec

Text Compress
multi-threaded scalar 7270
23.8 MB/sec

Text Decompress
single-threaded scalar 1759
7.23 MB/sec

Text Decompress
multi-threaded scalar 7028
28.0 MB/sec

Image Compress
single-threaded scalar 1784
14.7 Mpixels/sec

Image Compress
multi-threaded scalar 6846
57.6 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress
single-threaded scalar 1550
26.0 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress
multi-threaded scalar 5837
95.2 Mpixels/sec

Lua
single-threaded scalar 2886
1.11 Mnodes/sec

Lua
multi-threaded scalar 7831
3.01 Mnodes/sec

Floating Point Section

Section Score 8575

Mandelbrot
single-threaded scalar 1867
1.24 Gflops

Mandelbrot
multi-threaded scalar 7476
4.89 Gflops

Dot Product
single-threaded scalar 3420
1.65 Gflops

Dot Product
multi-threaded scalar 14288
6.51 Gflops

Dot Product
single-threaded vector 2732
3.27 Gflops

Dot Product
multi-threaded vector 12267
12.8 Gflops

LU Decomposition
single-threaded scalar 733
652.9 Mflops

LU Decomposition
multi-threaded scalar 2714
2.38 Gflops

Primality Test
single-threaded scalar 4103
612.8 Mflops

Primality Test
multi-threaded scalar 12516
2.32 Gflops

Sharpen Image
single-threaded scalar 5223
12.2 Mpixels/sec

Sharpen Image
multi-threaded scalar 20498
47.2 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image
single-threaded scalar 6564
5.19 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image
multi-threaded scalar 25653
20.2 Mpixels/sec

Memory Section

Section Score 3065

Read Sequential
single-threaded scalar 3604
4.41 GB/sec

Write Sequential
single-threaded scalar 3581
2.45 GB/sec

Stdlib Allocate
single-threaded scalar 2236
8.35 Mallocs/sec

Stdlib Write
single-threaded scalar 3087
6.39 GB/sec

Stdlib Copy
single-threaded scalar 2818
2.91 GB/sec

Stream Section

Section Score 2324

Stream Copy
single-threaded scalar 2473
3.38 GB/sec

Stream Copy
single-threaded vector 2628
3.41 GB/sec

Stream Scale
single-threaded scalar 2350
3.05 GB/sec

Stream Scale
single-threaded vector 2569
3.47 GB/sec

Stream Add
single-threaded scalar 1835
2.77 GB/sec

Stream Add
single-threaded vector 2787
3.88 GB/sec

Stream Triad
single-threaded scalar 1978
2.73 GB/sec

Stream Triad
single-threaded vector 1975
3.70 GB/sec

As can be seen the single threaded stuff is all slightly slower on the quad core as the CPU speed is slightly slower, and the multi threaded stuff is a lot, lot faster as I have two more cores to play with.

There doesn't appear to be any major different in me using the quad core, nothing appears any quicker on the user interface, which is much as I'd expect. I hope Final Cut and Handbrake see the benefit though. If not then the quad core will go into a VMWare esxi server and I'll drop the dual core back in.

Hope this helps somebody,

Rob.

scififan68 07-09-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sobanek (Post 49197)
Where did you get the ar8131 ethernet drivers? Can you post a link please? I've been looking for it for over a month!

http://iats.googlecode.com/files/build_x64_20100425.zip for Snow Leopard and 64bit.

DmitryAE 07-11-2010 07:52 AM

Successful updated to 10.6.4

I have updated from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 rev 1.1 mobo.

Remove sleepenabler, updated to 10.6.4, then installed sleepenabler from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=196466. Works great!

Sounds works fine, use AppleHDA(don't know what version, may be 10.6.2) on 10.6.3 and it works after update with no problems.

rwillett 07-25-2010 09:42 PM

PCI-E Firewire cards

Hi,

I need to add a PCI-Express Firewire card to my G31 Motherboard. I currently have an Asus 9400GT graphics card which spans over my PCI slots only leaving me with one spare one. I use the one spare PCI slot for an Ethernet card.

I have a couple of Firewire devices, i.e. a Video camera and a Eldirol sound system and would like to keep them hence the need for a PCI-E card.

Searching around shows some cards that *may* work, but it's not clear if they work with Snow Leopard on this particular motherboard. I'll take a punt on a £20 card but not on a £35 pound card (x 1.5 for dollars).

Cards that have some success include the

Belkin F5505 http://uk.shopping.com/xPO-Belkin-BE...PRESS-CARD-NIC

and the Sonnet
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonne...ology/FW400AE/

and the Dynex DX-PCI2PF

None are that cheap and I will not get my money back if they don't work.

So can anybody confirm that any of these cards will work in a PCI-E slot?

Thanks,

Rob

giaour61 07-25-2010 11:23 PM

PCI-E x1 Firewire cards - or PCI-E x1 GigaBit Ethernet cards

PCI-E x1 Firewire cards are rare and tend to be expensive. Nevertheless, almost all regular PCI Firewire cards work on hackintoshes much more often than not. It's easier to replace your PCI NIC with a PCI-E x1 NIC and then buy a regular PCI Firewire card for $10 (delivery included) on eBay. The following PCI-E x1 NIC works like a charm on 10.5.8: TP-Link TG-3468. I'm sure it works on 10.6.4 as well, but you may need to check it. It's a very inexpensive NIC.

rwillett 07-26-2010 09:06 AM

Rats, an excellent idea, why didn't I think of it :) ? I'm wholly unclear about PCI Express as it's yet another new format to find out about.

However I have now ordered a PCI-E Firewire card but I think I'll order one of these as well, they're cheap so it shouldn't be an issue.

I'll try them both out and report back. I now have a spare G31 MB and system so can play more without blowing up my main hackintosh.

Thanks for taking the time to answer,

Rob

rwillett 07-26-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DmitryAE (Post 49371)
I have updated from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 rev 1.1 mobo.

Remove sleepenabler, updated to 10.6.4, then installed sleepenabler from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=196466. Works great!

Sounds works fine, use AppleHDA(don't know what version, may be 10.6.2) on 10.6.3 and it works after update with no problems.

Dmitry,

I have never managed to get Sleepenabler to recover from going to sleep, everything else works really well, but this is the one function that eludes me. I have downloaded multiple sleepenablers, played with the BIOS settings, added and removed PleaseSleep and other software without it ever working. I can sometimes get it to suspend, but have never got it to come back to life.

Can you go through what configuration settings you have that makes your sleepenabler config work? The sort of things I was thinking about are:

1. What are the BIOS settings? i.e. S1 or S3 in the sleep settings in the BIOS.
  2. How do you activate wakeup, mouse or keyboard press?
  3. Do you have a USB or a PS/2 keyboard? I have heard people say that you need a PS/2 device rather than a USB device.
  4. Do you have any extension cards which may make a difference, e.g. FireWire cards can be problematic I'm told?
I now have a duplicate G31M system to test these things out. It will become a Mythbox server eventually but it's fine for testing out these things without trashing my main desktop.

Thanks,

Rob.