InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

swanzai 10-09-2009 07:07 AM

spinner of death at gray before install

howdy -- followed the instructions to the tee but I seem to be sticking at a gray screen after the large / small text, with a moveable cursor before the install really begins. if i wait long enough it turns into a spinner. any thoughts?

cchristophher 10-10-2009 04:55 AM

Bootable but won't install

I followed all the steps and when i boot from the USB drive, i get this http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2455/...82f9c6f9_o.jpg
I'm not using a flash drive per se, it is this
my mobo boots from it fine but could that still be a problem?
I also had trouble with the kexts in the com.appleboot.plist, how do i make my strings or EFI strings? i did it with EFI tool, but thats just for my graphics card, is that how i do it?
here are my specs:
G31 S2L
Q6600 Core2Duo
EVGA 9800GT
Edit:you can't see it but its in 64bit mode, how do i edit the mkext to keep it in 32?

sk1nhd33t 10-10-2009 03:19 PM

guide updated again to base an RC3+PCEFI 10.3 install and updated kext.. made a short guide too in creating your own DSDT using DSDT-SE..

credits to all who found/create all the apps, kext and fixes.. enjoy :)

ISSUES im having:

- Automatic Sleep w/o the use of PleaseSleep
- waking from sleep using my Apple Aluminum KB
- the rest is flawless!

ju421019 10-10-2009 05:40 PM

I followed this guide in this thread:

http://lifehacker.com/5360150/instal...cking-required

To get everything working fine, easiest way to install. Only Issue I am having is sound, I can't see the input/output device, any help there please?

Yes I know the lifehacker guide mentions a different motherboard, but it works fine on this one too.

Now, I just need sound working from the board.

BlaSTiWi 10-11-2009 04:04 AM

Great!!!

Quick Q ... does the myHack installer put stuff into EFI partition?

Tkx!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk1nhd33t (Post 37074)
guide updated again to base an RC3+PCEFI 10.3 install and updated kext.. made a short guide too in creating your own DSDT using DSDT-SE..

ISSUES im having:

- the rest is flawless!

MonkeyDLuffy 10-11-2009 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk1nhd33t (Post 37074)

ISSUES im having:

- the rest is flawless!

Really nice to hear that the rest is flawless. May I ask, what SpeedStep app are you using (64bit)? I use CPUi which seems to work but I was wondering that you might be using something better. Voodoopower only works in 32-bit :(

Ezhoon 10-11-2009 04:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk1nhd33t (Post 36354)
here's how the setup goes, any of the 3 combination will do:

- LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver + LegacyHDAPlatformDriver + HDEF = audio
- LegacyALC883.kext + HDEF = audio
- VoodooHDA (S/L/E) + untouch dsdt = audio

if all fails then i dont know what to suggest anymore ^_^

Just let you know that the first method also worked for my Jetway xblue P43 mobo with alc883.
I've tried voodoohda 64bit in s/l/e too but, mic input almost always never worked properly. Using appleHDA just feels more satisfying and produces a bit clearer sound, imho :p

Great stuff, thanks!! :D

sk1nhd33t 10-11-2009 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi (Post 37112)
Great!!!

Quick Q ... does the myHack installer put stuff into EFI partition?

Tkx!

if you are talking about the hidden EFI partition then NO, install it manually instead with just 3 terminal commands or RC2.pkg :)

that's what im using right now including my backup leopard partition.. i prefer it because it's hidden and im not tempted to tinker it a lot haha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy (Post 37114)
Really nice to hear that the rest is flawless. May I ask, what SpeedStep app are you using (64bit)? I use CPUi which seems to work but I was wondering that you might be using something better. Voodoopower only works in 32-bit :(

im using Pstate created by hnak, cant link it to you right now coz for some reason i cant open insanelymac.. but it's there over at the OSX86 news and release section

been reading the DSDT vanilla speedstep guide for quite sometime now but it seems it's made for the more geeky peeps, made a few try but gave up afterwards :p

BTW CPUi doesnt work on me (64bit), care to link the kext/app you used? are you using Quad or C2D?

joel_ezekiel 10-12-2009 10:21 AM

Hi, i was wondering if i could get some quick help. I had my computer set up properly and everything worked, but i wanted a larger hdd, anyway i formatted and set everything up again and its working perfect. But for some reason i have nfi why, i cant connect to anything shared with samba, from windows 7, osx, or solaris. Does anyone have a clue why this would be happening, when i try to connect it just sits there saying connecting and never finishes.

richybatten 10-12-2009 06:32 PM

Can't open Chameleon Screen

I have tried this and followed other guides on how to Install the retail SL but I can't get the Chameleon screen to open after booting from the USB drive. Does anyone know why I can't get Chameleon to run or has anyone else had this problem? I'm trying to install to Dell M90 Laptop.

dooododoo 10-13-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cchristophher (Post 37050)
I followed all the steps and when i boot from the USB drive, i get this http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2455/...82f9c6f9_o.jpg

That's not really following ALL the steps then. :p

All I can say is that I have the same hardware as the OP, I followed his directions, and SL works semi-perfectly (no auto-sleep, but remedied by PleaseSleep.app) as he said.

Just get an USB flash drive and proceed. I wish for your success!

joel_ezekiel 10-13-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joel_ezekiel (Post 37235)
Hi, i was wondering if i could get some quick help. I had my computer set up properly and everything worked, but i wanted a larger hdd, anyway i formatted and set everything up again and its working perfect. But for some reason i have nfi why, i cant connect to anything shared with samba, from windows 7, osx, or solaris. Does anyone have a clue why this would be happening, when i try to connect it just sits there saying connecting and never finishes.

ok so i have worked out that connecting to an smb share works perfectly fine before i install myhack+kexts (first boot after install), does anyone please have any suggestions?

edit: well after alot of screwing around i just went back to your old guide and used the files from there after installing snow leopard with myhack bootloader. works fine now.. :s

edit 2: lol well i got a kernel panic setting it up that way and went back and tried numerous things, its gotta have something to do with myhack and whats in the efi partition, but for now im using nfs to connect to my fileserver

MonkeyDLuffy 10-13-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk1nhd33t (Post 37118)
if you are talking about the hidden EFI partition then NO, install it manually instead with just 3 terminal commands or RC2.pkg :)

that's what im using right now including my backup leopard partition.. i prefer it because it's hidden and im not tempted to tinker it a lot haha!

im using Pstate created by hnak, cant link it to you right now coz for some reason i cant open insanelymac.. but it's there over at the OSX86 news and release section

been reading the DSDT vanilla speedstep guide for quite sometime now but it seems it's made for the more geeky peeps, made a few try but gave up afterwards :p

BTW CPUi doesnt work on me (64bit), care to link the kext/app you used? are you using Quad or C2D?

I just got it from the original post of "FormerlyknownAs" here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=181631

It is the last link of the first post.

I just installed it at /S/L/E repaired permissions, cleared cache. Restarted in 64-bit and ran the CPU-i app and there I can see that my E5200 shifts from 2500Ghz to 1200Ghz. Multiplier increases from x 6.0 to x 12.0 (the normal). Cpu voltage also changes from my stock 1.292 V to 1.052 V. Seems to work fine in my case. I think Mitch_de from IM also said that the CPUi works fine and we were having the same issue because CPU-X (netkas cpu tool) does not detected the voltage/ghz shift.

By the way, what is the difference between speedstep and P-state?

Thanks.

ju421019 10-14-2009 05:45 AM

I would greatly appreciate if someone can help me here.

a. Also I have another request, anyone know how I can dual boot windows 7 and SL? Do I need two hard drives?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ju421019 (Post 37082)
I followed this guide in this thread:

http://lifehacker.com/5360150/instal...cking-required

To get everything working fine, easiest way to install. Only Issue I am having is sound, I can't see the input/output device, any help there please?

Yes I know the lifehacker guide mentions a different motherboard, but it works fine on this one too.

Now, I just need sound working from the board.

shivpratik 10-14-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cchristophher (Post 37050)
my mobo boots from it fine but could that still be a problem?
I also had trouble with the kexts in the com.appleboot.plist, how do i make my strings or EFI strings? i did it with EFI tool, but thats just for my graphics card, is that how i do it?

Even Im having the same problem.. But im not able to figure out the problem......
Why dont anyone from infinitemac help us out with this problem.....
At least tell us where we are going wrong...

callingltu 10-14-2009 05:58 PM

Hullo. Thx for really good guide, but I've got one problem, and have no idea how to solve it. I'm using dual boot with SL and win xp, xp is on one partition and SL on other. I have bootloader (myHack 1.0 rc3) installed on separate disc, because if i install bootloader on SL partition it messes up xp bootloader, and windows stops working. So SL work fine, boots up perfectly, but if i choose windows from chameleon, it doesn't start, screen goes black, and on top of it appears white dot. But if i make windows partition active and boot from that hard drive, windows starts normaly. Any ideas why chameleon doesn't load windows? And strange thing, windows partition is set to default on chameleon, is there any way making SL partition as default? :)

Looking forward hearing from you :)

sk1nhd33t 10-15-2009 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy (Post 37351)
I just got it from the original post of "FormerlyknownAs" here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=181631

It is the last link of the first post.

I just installed it at /S/L/E repaired permissions, cleared cache. Restarted in 64-bit and ran the CPU-i app and there I can see that my E5200 shifts from 2500Ghz to 1200Ghz. Multiplier increases from x 6.0 to x 12.0 (the normal). Cpu voltage also changes from my stock 1.292 V to 1.052 V. Seems to work fine in my case. I think Mitch_de from IM also said that the CPUi works fine and we were having the same issue because CPU-X (netkas cpu tool) does not detected the voltage/ghz shift.

By the way, what is the difference between speedstep and P-state?

Thanks.

ahh the DSDT vanilla speedstep guide, tried that a few times but maybe i need to sit more on it and give it more time and testing for it to work on mine.. :)

CPUi still didnt work on me on 64bit but yes we have the same experience on cpui (32bit on mine), i can see that my CPU is running lower on light load including the voltage on my quad. but for now im happy using PState, it's the same as voodoopower but it can run on 64bit.

snowdog23tx 10-17-2009 01:40 PM

Can't boot from USB stick, help?

Thanks to everyone for this fantastic thread. I am attempting to build my first Hackintosh using the G31M-ES2L (Ver. 2.0) board using this guide.

I am following the steps to the letter, but I cannot get my machine to boot from the USB stick. The stick shows up in the BIOS and I can select it on the boot menu, but after that nothing happens.

I have reformatted my stick and re-restored the SL image, re-run the MyHack installer, basically followed the directions over and over and still nothing works.

If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out...

russianbandit 10-17-2009 07:25 PM

Sorry for asking this again, but... I cannot get my CPU temp to display with iStatMenus. It only shows the HD temp. Has anyone gotten CPU temp to display using any app?

Imkantus 10-17-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russianbandit (Post 37599)
Has anyone gotten CPU temp to display using any app?

You can use CPUi it needs it's own kext to be installed, but works fine on a Hack. :)

vkd 10-18-2009 01:52 AM

If you can't get past KP in your first Snow boot, I'd suggest you need to properly install the Chameleon bootloader. Get the latest version (2.0 RC3 r658 + PCEFI v10.4 by Netkas), install by included instructions and try again.

Hope this helps! PM me to let me know!

infiniteThanks 10-18-2009 09:00 PM

Found why audio selections did not show up

Many thanks to OP for the really hard work. Everything worked except Sound and Samba shares. I had problems with the audio like some of the others. Forgive me if I missed any similar solution posted earlier; it seems this thread is very popular :)

Here is what I did:
1. download MKext Tool from http://pcwizcomputer.com/index.php?o...=151&Itemid=48

2. Start it, click on tab "View Contents".
3. Choose /Extra/Extensions.mkext
4. Click on View Contents.

5. If any of the audio exts are missing (LegacyALC883.kext, LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext, LegacyPlatformDriver.kext) then it might help to create a new Extensions.mkext.

Note, follow the following only if 5 is true.

6. Click on Pack tab on MKext Tool.
7. Drag all the kexts in /Extra/CustomExtensions to the window.
8. I saved the extensions to an Extensions folder on my desktop.
9. I picked the "View Contents" tab again and opened the just created mkext and here is the result:
Found 7 kexts:
/Volumes/SnowCoco/Extra/CustomExtensions/fakesmc.kext - org.netkas.fakesmc (2.0)
/Volumes/SnowCoco/Extra/CustomExtensions/FramebufferDisabler.kext - net.osrom.kext.Disabler (1.0.1)
/Volumes/SnowCoco/Extra/CustomExtensions/LegacyAppleRTC_32bit_Only.kext - com.apple.driver.AppleRTC (9.9)
/Volumes/SnowCoco/Extra/CustomExtensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext - org.tgwbd.driver.NullCPUPowerManagement (1.0d2)
/Volumes/SnowCoco/Extra/CustomExtensions/OpenHaltRestart.kext - com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart (1.0.3)
/Volumes/SnowCoco/Extra/CustomExtensions/PlatformUUID.kext - com.superhai.driver.PlatformUUID (1.0)
/Volumes/SnowCoco/Extra/CustomExtensions/Sleepenabler.kext - sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler (1.0)

10. I trashed the older /Extra/Extensions.mkext. It will ask for auth. You may decide to move it; I was less patient.

11. Copy your new Desktop/Extensions/Extensions.mkext to /Extra/Extensions.mkext. It will ask for Auth.

12. Delete cache. In terminal mode do:
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches.

13. You can also run pfix as described by OP.

14. Reboot.

15. Go to System Preferences -> Sound (Thanks OP)
Select Internal Speakers for both Sound Effects and Output.

I would suggest only the brave to try this first and then verify that I am saying something sane. This is my first post here.

Now to figure out Samba shares: Mine just say connecting to Server. Works fine with windows client.
Other stuff: Time Machine: fine. Sleep is beautiful. CPU= E5200, 2 hard drives. Can't test Parallels as E5200 does not have VT extensions :(
Originally had 10.5.6. Would not boot from USB stick so I created a separate partition on one drive, put the Snow hackintosh installer on it and booted from it. Installed OS on the other drive and continued as described by OP. Beautiful. The original hard drive with 10.5.6 I reformatted and now use it for time machine.

Samba shares: Still trying to figure it out. Other Apple customers have the same problem.

brfransen 10-19-2009 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infiniteThanks (Post 37670)
Now to figure out Samba shares: Mine just say connecting to Server. Works fine with windows client.

If you used pfix it doesn't set the execute bit on one of the files in the smb kext that needs it to run correctly. I went into Disk Utility and repaired permissions and smb is working for me now.

Britney

simsim 10-19-2009 03:14 AM

In case someone made the same mistake as me....

When I was reinstalling my stuff I couldn't get sound for a while, until I realised I was manually making the mkext in /extra by combining the kexts in S/L/E and Extra. It should only contain the kexts in extra. If you do it manually in terminal you get a lot of missing dependency messages but the resulting mkext is the same as you get from Kext Utility (I checked with md5).

I had some samba problems too but using "computername\username" as the username worked for me. As in this tip http://www.macwindows.com/snowleopar...g.html#090209d

infiniteThanks 10-19-2009 07:52 AM

brfransen: It WORKED !!! I went to Disk Utility and used it to repair permissions and SMB share now works. Thank you !

simsim: Thank you!! The warnings generated by the command line confused me so I wanted to use the MKext Tool to visualize what was going on. Plus I am fairly new to OSX Mac. Actually I am running away from Windows.

353inf 10-19-2009 02:03 PM

I was successfull following this guide to get SL up and running with kalyway 10.5.2 on another partition. The screen resolution wasn't correct and in profile it didn't recognize my video card. I installed EFI studio to fix this choosing my card. The software update offered additional updates and programs, which I declined and I might note saw in this process 'connecting to apple' which I had not noticed with the 10.5.2 verison that has has been installed numerous times in the last months attempting to get a working 'es2l ver2'. After restart I noticed during that process the cpu multiplier 10.5..........never before that, 8 normal, the 'my hack' screen with bootloader options.......kalyway1052, SL,slinstaller. I then choose SL only to get screen 'power button/restart' message in various languages with very large circle and line.......similar to those ' no left turn', etc. I'm used to seeing. The kicker is that after trying to restart and to use 'kalway1052' doesn't work..........going into bios the system has been reset to defaults.After making adjustments then booting into '1052' which is fine.Seems that when SL crashes it changes bios back to defaults. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

joel_ezekiel 10-19-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brfransen (Post 37675)
If you used pfix it doesn't set the execute bit on one of the files in the smb kext that needs it to run correctly. I went into Disk Utility and repaired permissions and smb is working for me now.

Britney

Thank you so much, using NFS worked fine but i had strange permission problems, and not knowing how to set it up on solaris properly didnt help, smb works great again!

BlaSTiWi 10-20-2009 01:19 AM

Anybody try PC EFI v10.4.1 yet?

carolinablue 10-20-2009 02:57 AM

Success - thanks!

Long-time lurker on this thread, but I wanted to simply say thanks for all the hard work as I finally got my ES2L rev 1.x working with Snow Leopard. I literally tried more than a dozen different methods (including the early versions here) and finally this latest version worked perfectly for me. Also updated to 10.6.1 without any issue and all is working perfectly. Thanks!

ynol 10-22-2009 07:29 PM

Can you give us the tip for 10.6.1 to have audio working 100%

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolinablue (Post 37747)
Long-time lurker on this thread, but I wanted to simply say thanks for all the hard work as I finally got my ES2L rev 1.x working with Snow Leopard. I literally tried more than a dozen different methods (including the early versions here) and finally this latest version worked perfectly for me. Also updated to 10.6.1 without any issue and all is working perfectly. Thanks!

Can you post the audio kexts?

I can't seem to have 100% in-out audio on SNL...!

carolinablue 10-23-2009 01:30 AM

I skipped all audio content

Sorry I can't be of any help as I use a Bose Companion 5 USB speaker set and so have audio disabled in my BIOS and skip all those portions of the directions. Best of luck in your search to get it working.

spudstud450 10-23-2009 05:52 AM

CMOS - Corrupt

What is the easiest way to fix the CMOS Reset error I get every time my computer restarts? I am using the DSDT downloaded in the ES2L Kit. Everything else works like a charm on my G31m-es2l. I've tried the cmos corrupt fix in the es2l folder. How did everyone else fix theirs?

G31m-es2l Rev 2.0
9600GT 512
Snow Leopard 6.1

aj3399 10-23-2009 08:07 AM

verifying DMI pool data

I followed the guide (thanks for all your work on this!) and was installing SL when the machine rebooted, and now all I get is "verifying DMI pool data." i've re-formatted my thumb drive, did the entire process over, and still, "verifying DMI pool data." I have v2 of the board, and am trying to use onboard graphics. Is that my issue?

353inf 10-23-2009 07:12 PM

try this......

Search es2l on these boards.....guide under Voyn1x at the end shows Alc883.zip

I did use Kext Helper 0.7 to install both.............got from weaksauce leopard soup es2l guide and folder.
AppleAzaliaAudio:

Version: 1.0.0
Last Modified: 10/21/09 8:04 PM
Get Info String: 1.0.0, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2005
Kind: Intel
Architectures: i386
64-Bit (Intel): No
Kext Version: 1.0.0d1
Load Address: 0x5b6d4000
Valid: Yes
Authentic: Yes
Dependencies: Satisfied

AppleAzaliaController:

Version: 1.0.0
Last Modified: 10/21/09 8:04 PM
Get Info String: 1.0.0, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2005
Kind: Intel
Architectures: i386
64-Bit (Intel): No
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext
Kext Version: 1.0.0d1
Load Address: 0x5b528000
Valid: Yes
Authentic: Yes
Dependencies: Satisfied

Had to install pci etherent card.........trendnet

Type: Ethernet Controller
Bus: PCI
Vendor ID: 0x10ec
Device ID: 0x8169
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x10ec
Subsystem ID: 0x8169
Revision ID: 0x0010

disable 'on board lan'

jetpr 10-24-2009 07:08 AM

Help with Audio no Work

Audio no work in 32bit or 64bit

please some help

ACL883:(

iztech 10-24-2009 06:06 PM

No Sound

Ditto here on sound.
Nothing doing.
V2 using firmware from Gigabyte FF, FE did not work either.
Tried Voodo, Taruga 64

Sound stuff is scattered all over the net but nothing concrete. Thanks for this thread it is lengthy but you gain some knowledge from it.

brfransen 10-24-2009 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to this thread and all the great contributions I have my ES2L R2.0 FC BIOS, E6300 OC'ed to 3.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 9500GT 512MB, PCI TrendNet Ethernet (due to no driver for the R2.0 onboard Ethernet), and PCI Firewire all working great! Everything I have tried so far, including audio and sleep works. I haven't tried automatic sleep but manual works fine and I never used automatic sleep in the past.

I used Conti's myHack 1.0 RC4 to install. Then I extracted my DSDT and compiled and found some errors. I fixed those using the DSDTSE Fixes Menu and then changed the RTC section as sk1nhd33t instructed and added the Method DTGP. For audio I used only the LegacyALC883.kext provided in the ES2L Kit sk1nhd33t linked in the first post of this thread and then modified my DSDT to remove the "Sound AZALIA" section and replace it with coconup's DSDT HDEF code. I also added the DSDT USB sleep fix and System Profiler now shows all my USB 2.0 Buses as Built-in.

For those that may be interested I have attached my dsdt.dst.

Thanks to all those who have contributed.

Britney

blaising 10-24-2009 07:53 PM

This guide has been a life saver, I bought Snow Leopard thinking I could just install like Leopard and everything would work. This guide actually makes the install EASIER than Leopard. Thanks much for your work on this.

Well, I was able to get everything but the sound to work so instead of trying this that and the other thing, I just bought Creative's Xmod USB sound adapter for around $20 bucks on Amazon and now I have sound!

353inf 10-25-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brfransen (Post 38096)
Thanks to this thread and all the great contributions I have my ES2L R2.0 FC BIOS, E6300 OC'ed to 3.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 9500GT 512MB, PCI TrendNet Ethernet (due to no driver for the R2.0 onboard Ethernet), and PCI Firewire all working great! Everything I have tried so far, including audio and sleep works. I haven't tried automatic sleep but manual works fine and I never used automatic sleep in the past.

I used Conti's myHack 1.0 RC4 to install. Then I extracted my DSDT and compiled and found some errors. I fixed those using the DSDTSE Fixes Menu and then changed the RTC section as sk1nhd33t instructed and added the Method DTGP. For audio I used only the LegacyALC883.kext provided in the ES2L Kit sk1nhd33t linked in the first post of this thread and then modified my DSDT to remove the "Sound AZALIA" section and replace it with coconup's DSDT HDEF code. I also added the DSDT USB sleep fix and System Profiler now shows all my USB 2.0 Buses as Built-in.

For those that may be interested I have attached my dsdt.dst.

Thanks to all those who have contributed.

Britney

Great to hear your install is a success. I still can only boot with the 'installation usb drive' inserted and 'boot 1st' option ' in my bios. After that I'm able to eject and all seems well with operating system,,,,,,,,sound, sleep,cmos reset fixed,etc. Any idea how to correct this? Also the overclocking would be nice to try. Same processor. Any settings advice would be appreciated.Thanks

brfransen 10-25-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 353inf (Post 38160)
Great to hear your install is a success. I still can only boot with the 'installation usb drive' inserted and 'boot 1st' option ' in my bios. After that I'm able to eject and all seems well with operating system,,,,,,,,sound, sleep,cmos reset fixed,etc. Any idea how to correct this? Also the overclocking would be nice to try. Same processor. Any settings advice would be appreciated.Thanks

That sounds to me like the bootloader isn't installed on your HD. Did you rerun myHack and target your boot SL hard drive?

For the overclock all I did was set the cpu multiplier to 10.5 and the front side bus to 325MHz. I had the front side bus at 333MHz but after the machine would sleep it would be awake for about 10 mins and would then kernel panic. Backing off the front side bus to 325MHz seems to have fixed that.

Britney

Pibbman 10-26-2009 09:04 PM

Been reading this guide like mad and other sites, however I have noticed that many who build a machine with this board have dedicated video cards, does the onboard video work at all with this or no? I'm hoping to use the onboard until I can save up enough money for a video card.

Haven't been able to find an answer to this one.

In any case, thanks for the guide. Hopefully it's smooth sailings for me.

brfransen 10-26-2009 10:57 PM

It worked for me while I was waiting for my video card but there are problems. One is that I couldn't get any video to display in Quicktime or VLC. There was sound but only black would display in the video window. Another problem was that the display would never sleep and when I put the machine to sleep all the fans would continue running. Once I got the PCI-E video card installed both issues were gone. I am thinking that both issues have to do with no specific drivers for the GMA 3100 chipset but I didn't do much research.

Britney

MonkeyDLuffy 10-26-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibbman (Post 38283)
Been reading this guide like mad and other sites, however I have noticed that many who build a machine with this board have dedicated video cards, does the onboard video work at all with this or no? I'm hoping to use the onboard until I can save up enough money for a video card.

Haven't been able to find an answer to this one.

In any case, thanks for the guide. Hopefully it's smooth sailings for me.

The built-in Intel GMA 3100 (not GMA X3100) is not compatible with either Leo or Snow Leo. It will work but you won't have QI/CE (VESA only) thus making it suck a lot - such as No resolution change, you might have problems watching videos, can't run a lot of programs that are QI/CE dependent, and lots more.

If you can stand that, you can just go ahead and install it while waiting for your dedicated video card.

BTW, when you decide to purchase the video card, make sure it is 100% compatible.

Pibbman 10-27-2009 12:33 AM

Thanks. Well, I do have a video card but from my understanding it hasn't worked since Tiger or something. It's a Sapphire Radeon x800 PCI-e, I might try it but from what I know it most likely will not work.

EDIT:

I went ahead and ordered the XFX 9500GT 1GB PCI-e, which is apparently said to work on the osx86project as well as having seen others running it.

353inf 10-27-2009 11:01 PM

Thanks again. I went to myhack installer page and reread ...noticed that I failed to follow 'post install' for sure. Little concerned that some 'fixes' seem to cause more problems. No big deal really letting usb stay inserted......boots system and then sleeps. You updated the 10.6.1 download? All the best.

flukes1 10-28-2009 07:31 PM

I've used the method described in the OP to install Snow Leopard onto my hackintosh with the following spec:

Mobo: GA-G31M-ES2L
CPU: E5200 2.5GHz
Graphics: 8600GTS (fanless)

I have a dual boot setup with Snow Leopard and Windows 7 both booting fine from Chameleon 2.0-RC3 on the same HDD. I'm using the dsdt.aml and smbios.plist given in the ES2L Kit zip, and have the following extensions installed:
fakesmc.kext
LegacyALC883.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext
Sleepenabler.kext
In addition my com.apple.Boot.plist is set up exactly as suggested in the OP.

The system boots fine but is very unstable. It has never KP'd, but quite often the app I'm using will freeze, then the dock will freeze, followed by the Finder. At this point the system has to be forcibly powered down & restarted.

I had Leopard 10.5.7 installed for a few months before formatting and installing SL yesterday, but I've never experienced this problem before. Any ideas?

Update: I've removed PlatformUUID.kext and Sleepenabler.kext and added -legacy flag to force 32-bit kernel, will see if that helps & report back.
Update2: Switched off HDD sleep in Energy settings, ran chkdsk on the Win7 partition, and repaired permissions in Disk Utility - this seems to have fixed the problem, for now at least.

Pibbman 10-29-2009 05:08 AM

I got a question. I'm in my Network tab in system preferences, and my Netgear FA331 isn't showing in the list. When I try adding an interface, I'm only given the options of Built in serial port, VPN, PPPoE and 6 to 4.

From what I understand the FA311 is based on the Realtk 8139 chipset. Do I need to find rtl8139.kext first before it will show in that list or what? It seems IONetworkingFamily.kext doesn't work either. If i put in a new NIC, will it discover it automatically and show it in the list? I forgot to put the '<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key' deal when i installed SL, hopefully that didn't affect anything?

thanks for any help.

Pibbman 10-29-2009 05:45 PM

Ok, so I went out and bought that Dynex Gigabit PCI card at Best Buy, and it works without anything needed on my part. :D

I tested mine sound, and went by how OP told to set it up. The system sound plays sound, but when I go into safari and play a flash video, I don't get any sound at all? Gonna try normal media files and see where that gets me, but I can't figure out the flash video sound issue,

NEVERMIND. I forgot to change the Output tab too. Hehe. It works fine now. This is awesome! Now I just gotta test and see if my DVD drive works, and its all good. I also have to get around to installing Fusion, I wonder how that will work.

syndoc 10-30-2009 02:59 AM

Boot problem

Great info!

This is my setup:
Graphics: 8600GTS

I followed the instructions and everything installed fine. However when I reboot to my USB drive, the bootloader doesn't see the SL drive. It wants to load the installer again. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Syn

Pibbman 10-30-2009 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syndoc (Post 38565)
Great info!

This is my setup:
Graphics: 8600GTS

I followed the instructions and everything installed fine. However when I reboot to my USB drive, the bootloader doesn't see the SL drive. It wants to load the installer again. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Syn

I got stuck on this one too. Like the first time you load the thing by F12, you choose USB HDD or USB Thumb or whatever it was, and it was load and install. Then everytime afterwards it was gone or something. So during F12, I hit Hard Drive + and found that USB drive in there and it worked from in there.