InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

sk1nhd33t 12-24-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sileem (Post 41687)
Thanks for the guide, I Got 10.6.2 working great so far, but I was wondering if anyone could reffer me to a good guide for enabling native speed stepping.

here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...1&st=0&start=0

and here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...8&st=0&start=0

to start of, it's really a complex process but reading them over and over and asking question will help. Do note that i have speedstep working, wake from aluminum keyboard, shutdown and restart w/o Openhalt kext (or the likes)..

lot's of people help me including xopher, mm67, AudiSport, MC and many more :)

Good Luck and Merry X-Mass (2 more hours from where i'm from).

zim2dive 12-27-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brfransen (Post 38188)
That sounds to me like the bootloader isn't installed on your HD. Did you rerun myHack and target your boot SL hard drive?

For the overclock all I did was set the cpu multiplier to 10.5 and the front side bus to 325MHz. I had the front side bus at 333MHz but after the machine would sleep it would be awake for about 10 mins and would then kernel panic. Backing off the front side bus to 325MHz seems to have fixed that.

Britney

I'm new to OC'ing... I just tried this... with an 2.5GHZ E5200 and DDR2-800 ram

On the MIT BIOS page I changed
Freq 200 -> 240
PCI Freq Auto->100
SPD Auto->3.3

This gives me 3.0 GHz on the E5200 (in theory the E5200 has much more headroom than this) and maintains 800MHz on the RAM... I think (as I said this is new to me)

SL is booting, have not used long enough to comment on long term stability.. wanted to get feedback from other folks.

My Xbench scores jumped from

Overall 144.03 -> 164.27
CPU 177.30 -> 214.95
Thread 205.34 -> 300.10
Memory 161.36 -> 178.32
Quartz 225.68 -> 270.25
OpenGL 90.05 -> 109.40
User Interface 286.73 -> 349.85
Disk 77.70 -> 75.06

No change in system temp according to iStat and Temperature Monitor.. but as mentioned before I do not actually believe these work, b/c the temps never change and are the same as reported without OCing.

EDIT: on the temp I installed http://macbricol.free.fr/coreduotemp/ and then the 32-bit SL version of MSR Tools (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...80&p=1259137&#) and my temps now do seem to move... again every utility seems to report a DIFFERENT set of temps, but at least now they appear to be move-able. Idling around 37C and peaking around 50C playing Quake 4 with the 5200 at 3.0GHz.

discol 12-28-2009 09:21 AM

Problem with installation on GA-G31M-S2L

Hi!

I`ve got some problems during installation...

I`ve done everything at is writen in Step by step guide on this thread,

but installation stops responding after initializing ethernet.
(checked in -v mode...)

(onboard audio is disabled because of using ToneportGX USB audio card)

Does any know solution for this? :)

I would be very greatful for help!:)

Discol

My specification:

Motherboard:GA-G31M-S2L
Processor: Dual Core E2160
Graphics Card: ATI 2600XT PCI-E
Pendrive: 16GB usb Toshiba
Hard disk: Sata II 500GB

zim2dive 12-28-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discol (Post 41905)
Hi!

I`ve got some problems during installation...

I`ve done everything at is writen in Step by step guide on this thread,

but installation stops responding after initializing ethernet.
(checked in -v mode...)

(onboard audio is disabled because of using ToneportGX USB audio card)

Does any know solution for this? :)

I would be very greatful for help!:)

Discol

My specification:

Motherboard:GA-G31M-S2L
Processor: Dual Core E2160
Graphics Card: ATI 2600XT PCI-E
Pendrive: 16GB usb Toshiba
Hard disk: Sata II 500GB

Which version of the mobo? rev 1 or rev 2? can you try the install w/o the audio card and then put that back in _after_ everything else is working?

EDIT: also I note you have the non-E S2L flavor of this mobo. What are the diffs?

discol 12-28-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zim2dive (Post 41912)
Which version of the mobo? rev 1 or rev 2? can you try the install w/o the audio card and then put that back in _after_ everything else is working?

EDIT: also I note you have the non-E S2L flavor of this mobo. What are the diffs?

I think this is rev2.

Here is my motherboard specification - i don`t see any differences in comparison to ES2L model...

http://www.gigabyte.eu/Products/Moth...ProductID=2693

also i tried to install with and without onboard audio and external usb...

same problem exists:

System not responding after initializing ethernet.

Should I add other kext files?

I have no idea how to solve problem...

zim2dive 12-28-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discol (Post 41913)
I think this is rev2.

Here is my motherboard specification - i don`t see any differences in comparison to ES2L model...

same problem exists:

I believe the folks with the rev 2 of the ES2L need a separate NIC. On the rev 1, we have a Realtek chip for LAN, I don't see any LAN chip called out on your mobo specs at Gigabyte. Try booting in linux and do an lspci to see what you have. I believe your ALC662 _is_ supported for audio, but you'll have to track down a kext for that.

discol 12-28-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zim2dive (Post 41918)
I believe the folks with the rev 2 of the ES2L need a separate NIC. On the rev 1, we have a Realtek chip for LAN, I don't see any LAN chip called out on your mobo specs at Gigabyte. Try booting in linux and do an lspci to see what you have. I believe your ALC662 _is_ supported for audio, but you'll have to track down a kext for that.

Lan chipset onboard is:

realtek 8111

Maybe it causes a problem?

zim2dive 12-28-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discol (Post 41921)
Lan chipset onboard is:

realtek 8111

Maybe it causes a problem?

Shouldn't.. that's what is on the ES2L rev 1 (lspci reports Realtek RTL8111/8168B)

discol 12-28-2009 11:43 PM

Solved!

It freezes because of 2600XT, after booting on onboard x3100 graphics all works fine..

ATI card works after deleting two kext files related to this graphics card.

Now it works without GE/CL support at 1400x1050 resolution on only one DVI.

So tomorrow I will get 9600GT card to get full graphics support! Cheap and with CUDA! ;)

Thanks for help and guide! :) It is great! :)

deansterdean 12-29-2009 02:27 AM

Hi,
I have 10.6.2 installed with the ES2L motherboard ver1

1. In 10.6.1 the screen saver would work but now it will goto sleep but never wakeup. Is there a fix for this?

2. I could not find a post for bios setting for this board. Is there a link someone could post

Thanks inadvance.

Jocelyn84 12-29-2009 05:20 AM

Do you have everything checked under energy settings deansterdean?? I know I have a rev. 2 board, but I was having the same problems until I did this...

lflashl 12-29-2009 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discol (Post 41913)
I think this is rev2.

same problem exists:

if you have rev 2 board you need another NIC, and also turn off the onboard NIC in the bios. I dont think you can install on that nic and that it will not work with snow leopard or leopard. If you can find the Rev 1.* board and you will be alot happer, you should have no issues with the onboard sound, just follow the steps. I think this HowTo was made for REV1.* boards and not Rev 2.* boards.

fritzbrause 12-29-2009 11:44 AM

Memory Allocation Error "Deadbeef"

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Folks!

thanks and regards for this excellent guide!
My first "Hackmac" is a P45 System with the EFI-X Module, but after finding out, that the guys from EFI-X are just "closing" open source and trying to rip me of, i like to switch to the "pros" and install an chamleon Mac.

As i need more than one mac in my family, i bought components from the several HCL lists (see signature) and tried first time yesterday. The systems works great with a live linux system booted from DVD, but when starting from the preparated USB-HDD or an Empire-EFI-DVD, it only results after a few seconds in a "Memory Allocation Error 0x0 deadbeef". :(
I tried different memory moduls and even another graphics board with no success. Has anyone any suggestions??

regards

lflashl 12-29-2009 11:58 AM

Hey there just a update on my Current System i have a Working Snow Leopard 10.6.2 system. No problems well maybe one, when i boot i get a blue screen, one person said it may be my permissons? anyway thanks for the guide, and if i can ill help out.

UPDATE: just notice i had no sound and had to reapply my dsdt.aml file, and run permission's. also Changed DVI ports on my video card and i dont get the blue screen @ login. So everything thing is working perfect!

lflashl 12-29-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fritzbrause (Post 41951)
Hey Folks!

thanks and regards for this excellent guide!
My first "Hackmac" is a P45 System with the EFI-X Module, but after finding out, that the guys from EFI-X are just "closing" open source and trying to rip me of, i like to switch to the "pros" and install an chamleon Mac.

As i need more than one mac in my family, i bought components from the several HCL lists (see signature) and tried first time yesterday. The systems works great with a live linux system booted from DVD, but when starting from the preparated USB-HDD or an Empire-EFI-DVD, it only results after a few seconds in a "Memory Allocation Error 0x0 deadbeef". :(
I tried different memory moduls and even another graphics board with no success. Has anyone any suggestions??

regards

i dont know too much, but what about the PATA drive you are using? maybe thats the problem, i have read somewhere that say you should a SATA one. but i and unsure about this. here are some google on the error msg

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lof...hp/t38681.html
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...ded&show=&st=0

so it could be video card? or bios settings...

fritzbrause 12-29-2009 08:31 PM

no chance.

Hey,

thanks for the tipps. unfortunately it didnt work. i stripped down the entire system (no HDD, no DVD, no GRA), tried every possible BIOS setting and even changed the memory modules. Nothing. Everytime when i try to boot i get this crappy error after a few seconds.
Please: Any other ideas?

regards!!!

lflashl 12-30-2009 03:09 AM

this is how i did my system, install leopard with iatkos v7 / made USB Flash drive snow leopard / installed snow leopard as this guide tells you too. Maybe you should try a USB Flash drive? por just download iatkos v7 and install that. see what happens and then go from there. sorry im not sure on anything else.

fritzbrause 12-30-2009 10:29 PM

Chameleon RC4 rocks

Hey!

thanks for the great tips. Finally i got into a working bootloader with the brandnu Chameleon Release which i installed on a small USB-Stick .. just for testing purposes, but IT WORKS.
Unfortunatly Chameleon dont recognize my EIDE DVD ROM drive with the SL DVD, so i cant get it installed yet .. but i will try build a bigger USB with the installer directly on it ;-)
I keep you informed. Chameleon rockz ;-)
Need a beer now *fump* aaaah!

Ianxxx 01-01-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk1nhd33t (Post 41720)
here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...1&st=0&start=0

and here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...8&st=0&start=0

to start of, it's really a complex process but reading them over and over and asking question will help. Do note that i have speedstep working, wake from aluminum keyboard, shutdown and restart w/o Openhalt kext (or the likes)..

lot's of people help me including xopher, mm67, AudiSport, MC and many more :)

Good Luck and Merry X-Mass (2 more hours from where i'm from).

Is this with ga-m31-es2l ? If so could I have a look at your dsdt trying to write one for ga-m31-s2l with all fixes and having a few problems with sleep

drbee 01-01-2010 11:33 PM

Does anybody have KP with sleepenabler in 64bit mode? It works fine in 32bit.

scott202 01-02-2010 02:43 PM

It's my first post but I've been keeping an eye on this thread and I just wanted to say thanks for all your help guys!

My intention was to create a (student) budget OS X system with the ability to play 1080p movies via HDMI using Plex, and I have succeeded!

My specification are as follows:

GA-G31M-ES2L Rev 2.0
E5300 2.6 GHz Dual Core Processor
2GB RAM
Asus nVidia GeForce 9400 GT 512MB
Belkin Network Card (I bought two of these new, plus a network switch new online for £1)

In total, including the case, I paid just under £150 for this setup and that includes a 250GB SATA HDD. I am using external USB HDD's to hold my media :)

I followed this guide however I did not need to create an DSDT file to get anything to work. It was simply a case of installing myHack 1.0 with the recommended kexts.

In order to get the graphics card fully supported that was simply a case of adding an EFI string with osx86Tools. As for the sound, a VoodooHDA kext got that working for me, without even the need to reinstall!

So once again, just wanted to thank all you guys who have put in the hard work to enable me to do this so easily! :cool:

See you around on here soon!

UPDATE: I've just updated to 10.6.2 using the inbuilt software update, installed iWork, iLife and Office for Mac and it's running like a dream still! Thanks once again :)

fritzbrause 01-02-2010 09:51 PM

Runs great, but graphics making sorrow

Hey Folks!

i did it! Thanks to this great tutorial and your help i got it made!
SL runs like a charm. Onboard sound runs too!
The onboard network doesnt work out, i think its because of my rev. 2 board, but i got an old Realtek 8139 nic which is naturally supported by Mac OS X.
Unfortunatly my graphics only run with 800x600 even though i changed it to 1280x1024x32 in the boot.plist. If i try to change the resolution in System Prefrerences the monitor is getting blue and i cant get back .. only hardreset is possible then. Has this something to do with the dsdt.aml which i compiled or is this a case for the OSX86tools? Any tipps would be warmely welcome!

regards!

lflashl 01-03-2010 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fritzbrause (Post 42268)
Hey Folks!

i did it! Thanks to this great tutorial and your help i got it made!
SL runs like a charm. Onboard sound runs too!
The onboard network doesnt work out, i think its because of my rev. 2 board, but i got an old Realtek 8139 nic which is naturally supported by Mac OS X.
Unfortunatly my graphics only run with 800x600 even though i changed it to 1280x1024x32 in the boot.plist. If i try to change the resolution in System Prefrerences the monitor is getting blue and i cant get back .. only hardreset is possible then. Has this something to do with the dsdt.aml which i compiled or is this a case for the OSX86tools? Any tipps would be warmely welcome!

regards!

if the monitor is going blu, try changing vga/dvi ports. i had this problem and changing ports fixed it, i think the monitor was being falsely recognised as a 2nd monitor.

fritzbrause 01-03-2010 11:44 AM

yeah! that was it!

Thanks again!

i simply switched over to the DVI Port of the Graka. than everything went right!
Great! I am so happy ;-)

Sileem 01-03-2010 09:19 PM

Bleh, I can't get native powermanagment, either I KP on boot, or my screen goes black :/
Im just going to stick with nullcpu

Schwarzsaur 01-04-2010 12:12 AM

Thank you sk1nhd33t ...

Thank you for the very helpful guide. After 9 weeks of trying I got SL running on G31M-ES2L based hardware. Everything works. Audio, sleep, USB, graphics, Time Machine, DSDT.

fritzbrause 01-04-2010 11:21 PM

Forgot to patch sleepenabler after Update to 10.6.2

HEy Folks,

me again .. the newbie ;-)
i read the hole thread but it couldnt figure it out.
The Problem: I installed 10.6.2 combo update and forget to change the sleepenabler.kext on my HDD before rebooting.
You know the result: Kernel Panic and no more sexy Snow Leopards.
I tried to boot from USB again to repair the broken boot on hdd, but this wasnt working either.
Is there a possibility to get into the Mac OSX again to change the sleep*.kext? Or do i need to re-install the whole bunch?
Many thanks again for this guide and the help!

regards

zim2dive 01-04-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fritzbrause (Post 42406)
HEy Folks,

me again .. the newbie ;-)
i read the hole thread but it couldnt figure it out.
The Problem: I installed 10.6.2 combo update and forget to change the sleepenabler.kext on my HDD before rebooting.
You know the result: Kernel Panic and no more sexy Snow Leopards.
I tried to boot from USB again to repair the broken boot on hdd, but this wasnt working either.
Is there a possibility to get into the Mac OSX again to change the sleep*.kext? Or do i need to re-install the whole bunch?
Many thanks again for this guide and the help!

regards

Could you not:
- boot the USB key to the SL installer (seems like that should work regardless of how badly you hosed the install)
- Launch Terminal from the Utilities(?) menu
- remove the old kext and put the new kext in place
- rebuild kext cache, etc

fritzbrause 01-05-2010 08:24 PM

Yeah

That was the hint i needed!
Got it running again .. after fighting 30 minutes with the bash .... (which is slightly different than the one in Linux ;-)
You are the BEST!

lflashl 01-06-2010 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zim2dive (Post 42407)
Could you not:
- boot the USB key to the SL installer (seems like that should work regardless of how badly you hosed the install)
- Launch Terminal from the Utilities(?) menu
- remove the old kext and put the new kext in place
- rebuild kext cache, etc

yea do that happen to me and it works great, if you dont know how to install/remove a kext heres a link... im a newbie and still learning and this showed me.... install kext i think there should be a update on this, to say not install the sleeper kext and to install the next 10.6.2 version, will save alot of time...

barrsurf 01-07-2010 04:42 AM

I successfully installed with this method, but now after installing I am unable to log in. The first install it didn't recognize my keyboard after I entered a password, so this time I didn't enter a password. It just does the shaky thing when I try to log in. Any ideas?

Thanks

Still unable to log in. When I restart it runs the Welcome screen again, then setup. Setup goes fine until date/time page. I am unable to change either, also unable to click on the time zone map. I am sure I'm entering the correct username/password, I've simplified it to my name and the number 1 for password. When I get past the enjoy your mac page I get a keyboard assistant. The keyboard still works, so I've tried with setting it up and not. No difference. Does the install not complete until you log in the 1st time? SL is on an external drive, so I could move it to a Macbook if I need to fix the login file.

zim2dive 01-07-2010 05:05 AM

Not falling into sleep anymore

Over the past week I did 2 things

a) replaced my Airport Extreme N router with a DLink router (I needed some QOS function and AEX does not have any)
b) added a SATA DVD drive

I can manually sleep the machine (from the Apple menu), but it no longer "falls asleep" on its own (via the timeout in Energy Saver)

Any ideas on what to check?

lflashl 01-07-2010 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zim2dive (Post 42575)

a) replaced my Airport Extreme N router with a DLink router (I needed some QOS function and AEX does not have any)

I can manually sleep the machine (from the Apple menu), but it no longer "falls asleep" on its own (via the timeout in Energy Saver)

have you updated the SleepEnabler.kext file for 10.6.2? other than that i have not tried on my machine cause its on 24/7...

kws 01-07-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zim2dive (Post 42575)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=182535

zim2dive 01-07-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lflashl (Post 42579)
have you updated the SleepEnabler.kext file for 10.6.2? other than that i have not tried on my machine cause its on 24/7...

Yes, I was already at 10.6.2, and automatic sleep (as a consequence of the timer settings in Energy Saver) was working. I changed the DVD and router, that was all and now the machine is not going to sleep automatically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kws (Post 42585)

EDIT: I mis-read the explanation at that thread.. so that looks like it might help.. I'll give that a shot tonite. thanks!!

thanks,
Mike

zim2dive 01-07-2010 02:55 PM

Delete: brain fart.

latinoguy 01-07-2010 05:22 PM

Theres is a method to reset password, i cant remeber at this moment, but google it you will find the answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrsurf (Post 42574)
I successfully installed with this method, but now after installing I am unable to log in. The first install it didn't recognize my keyboard after I entered a password, so this time I didn't enter a password. It just does the shaky thing when I try to log in. Any ideas?

Thanks

barrsurf 01-07-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latinoguy (Post 42597)
Theres is a method to reset password, i cant remeber at this moment, but google it you will find the answer.

It seems to lose my login info between the Enjoy Your Mac screen and first login. The reset password tricks I have found assume you are in the OS to start with. I'm trying safe mode to see if I can get at least into terminal. Or I can get into terminal from the USB boot stick. Anyone know how to find login info from terminal?
I have a different Mobo than this guide, but the install went really well. It even awakes from sleep.

MSI X58M
i7 920
4gb DDR3
BFG GTS 250 OC

lflashl 01-08-2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrsurf (Post 42633)
It seems to lose my login info between the Enjoy Your Mac screen and first login. The reset password tricks I have found assume you are in the OS to start with. I'm trying safe mode to see if I can get at least into terminal. Or I can get into terminal from the USB boot stick. Anyone know how to find login info from terminal?
I have a different Mobo than this guide, but the install went really well. It even awakes from sleep.

MSI X58M
i7 920
4gb DDR3
BFG GTS 250 OC

Hope this can help you

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/05/h...d-in-mac-os-x/
http://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/0...nstaller-disc/

barrsurf 01-08-2010 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lflashl (Post 42636)

Thanks for the links. When I go into reset password from the installer there is only a root admin, so it seems the setup is not finishing completely. I was wondering if you have to log in the first time to complete the setup. Also, I can't seem to boot into safe mode. At what point in the boot process should I hold apple/s? After Chameleon, before grey screen with My Hack logo? I've tried multiple places, but no luck. Every time I restart it just goes back to welcome screen. Welcome video looks nice, but I'm kind of sick of it!

I can boot into safe mode, but I still can't login. I can't boot into single user mode. I'm using an old macally keyboard that is slightly different than current layout. Maybe new keyboard tomorrow. Then re-install I guess.

lflashl 01-08-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrsurf (Post 42639)
Thanks for the links. When I go into reset password from the installer there is only a root admin, so it seems the setup is not finishing completely. I was wondering if you have to log in the first time to complete the setup. Also, I can't seem to boot into safe mode. At what point in the boot process should I hold apple/s? After Chameleon, before grey screen with My Hack logo? I've tried multiple places, but no luck. Every time I restart it just goes back to welcome screen. Welcome video looks nice, but I'm kind of sick of it!

I can boot into safe mode, but I still can't login. I can't boot into single user mode. I'm using an old macally keyboard that is slightly different than current layout. Maybe new keyboard tomorrow. Then re-install I guess.

yea it sounds like it did not complete the first user account after a fresh install, sounds like you will need to create a new user account. To get into safe mode you need to type in -x [ENTER] and this will get you into safe mode.

barrsurf 01-08-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lflashl (Post 42647)
yea it sounds like it did not complete the first user account after a fresh install, sounds like you will need to create a new user account. To get into safe mode you need to type in -x [ENTER] and this will get you into safe mode.

Is there a way to create a user account from the install disk or terminal? I've re-installed and same problem. It's connecting to the internet fine during setup. I can access utilities from the install disk and most everything seems okay, at least as far as I know. I tried migration asst, but no luck.

Thanks

The disk osx is installed on is NOT owner enabled. Could this be the problem?

lflashl 01-09-2010 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrsurf (Post 42683)
Is there a way to create a user account from the install disk or terminal? I've re-installed and same problem. It's connecting to the internet fine during setup. I can access utilities from the install disk and most everything seems okay, at least as far as I know. I tried migration asst, but no luck.

Thanks

The disk osx is installed on is NOT owner enabled. Could this be the problem?

try reading this. http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...30603190314390

barrsurf 01-09-2010 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lflashl (Post 42690)

Thanks, looking at it now. You're a better googler than I am!
During setup I get Welcome video, choose language, choose keyboard layout, Migration page, How Do You Connect,Apple ID, Reg info, create your account, Try MobileMe, Select Time Zone (which I can't), Thank you page with Go button.
I push Go, screen goes dark then login page pops up with Keyboard Setup Assistant (says keyboard not identified). It doesn't matter if I setup keyboard or not, the keyboard works. Then I try to login, but my username is not in the box and I fail. Does everyone go to login from the thank you page. Seems weird to me and I don't remember doing it on Macs.
OK, time for some terminal work.

lflashl 01-09-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrsurf (Post 42693)
Thanks, looking at it now. You're a better googler than I am!
During setup I get Welcome video, choose language, choose keyboard layout, Migration page, How Do You Connect,Apple ID, Reg info, create your account, Try MobileMe, Select Time Zone (which I can't), Thank you page with Go button.
I push Go, screen goes dark then login page pops up with Keyboard Setup Assistant (says keyboard not identified). It doesn't matter if I setup keyboard or not, the keyboard works. Then I try to login, but my username is not in the box and I fail. Does everyone go to login from the thank you page. Seems weird to me and I don't remember doing it on Macs.
OK, time for some terminal work.

why cant you select a time zone? After setup, my system logs in automatic. wht keyboard are you using?

barrsurf 01-09-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lflashl (Post 42701)
why cant you select a time zone? After setup, my system logs in automatic. wht keyboard are you using?

I can't click anywhere in the world map. If I'm online it goes past that page.
I'm using a Macally Mac keyboard. I bought a new one yesterday thinking that may be the problem. I may borrow an Imac keyboard today.
I thought it was strange to restart into the login page. And there are no users available at that page, so setup is not finishing. I tried to add the user in terminal, but I couldn't do it through the install drive, so I plugged it into my MBPro and added it there, but it didn't take. I was in the right drive, but the user was added to my MBPro. Osx is on a 60gb USB drive. I think Ownership enabled, mine is no, may be part of the problem. Otherwise I'm going to wipe the drives and start all over. Could the external drive be the problem?
So close, but yet so far.

zim2dive 01-09-2010 04:11 PM

Wake on LAN options missing?

I can't find the wake on lan options in system preferences... according to

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

they should be on the Energy Save panel.. but I only see

Computer sleep (slidebar)
Display Sleep (slidebar)
Put hard disks to sleep when possible (checkbox)
Allow power button to put the computer to sleep (checkbox)
Start up automatically after a power failure (checkbox)

??

this is using the onboard NIC, rev 1 mobo.

barrsurf 01-09-2010 09:48 PM

Finally a successful install, then KP on upgrade to 10.6.2. "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU...
Trying to track that one down.

dmoore764 01-10-2010 04:34 AM

Problems from the start

I copied the retail SL to USB as stated in the guide (I'm on 10.4), then used the myHack installer exactly as indicated. Now when I try to boot up the target machine (by setting the flash drive as default boot device - under Hard Disk Drive priority) I just get stuck right after "Verifying DMI Pool Data"....

Do I need to create the flash drive on OSX 10.5? What is the format, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? Has anyone else run into this? Thanks in advance.

barrsurf 01-10-2010 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrsurf (Post 42737)
Finally a successful install, then KP on upgrade to 10.6.2. "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU...
Trying to track that one down.

Mostly working. Still get a KP sometimes on re-start, and still trouble with waking. Time machine didn't finish, so maybe trouble there. But looking pretty good right now.

Snow Leopard 10.6.2
MSI X58M
i7 920 @ 3.33Ghz
4 Gb DDR3
BFG GTS 250 OC
60 Gb Ext. USB HDD