InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

rcarp 09-28-2009 07:29 PM

Kext Help

2 Attachment(s)
First thank you. This guide worked perfectly for me. Snow running perfectly even after update. This is my problem I accidentally drop a kext into a console and now all my kexts look like in the picture. Even if I download them they turn into a folder before I can do anything with them. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

dooododoo 09-28-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simsim (Post 36174)
Chess kernel panic.

Chess kernel panics in 64 bit as soon as I move the mouse. Front Row and the ripple effects in dashboard work fine though. Chess is fine in 32 bit kernel. It makes me wonder if I have qe/ci only in 32 bits or if its not clear cut like that.

This is the crash screen:
Attachment 742

I have the G31M-ES2l and the graphic card Asus GeForce 7300GT 256mb.
Output through DVI.
Snow leopard with kexts as in sk1nhd33ts guide.
Chameleon RC 2/3 boot0 boot1h and netkas 10.3 boot. No efi string - GraphicsEnabler in boot.plist. Kext Utility.

I don't know much about Quartz extreme and Core Image except that they are supposed to make the GPU do more of the work.
The 7300 is pretty weak though so I don't know what the difference would be.
The Wikipedia entry for Core Image list the 7300 as one of the cards used by apple for core image and notes that "any GPU capable of handling Core Image instructions is also Quartz Extreme capable". I used a trial version of iMaginator and ran this test I found. There was no difference under 32 or 64 bit (around 2 min 40 sec). I also used Core Image Fun from the developer tools. Transitions and effects worked fine in both 32 and 64 bit. (it crashes when using large pics like the example pics). Quarts composer also seems to work.

Xbench gives me slighter higher value for quartz and openGL in 64 bit…

Clicking the "Open in 32bit mode" under 64 bit kernel doesn't help Chess.
I also tried out an app called OpenGL Extensions Viewer. No difference in cpu % while testing.

g31m2es2l
E6300 2.8 Ghz
Asus GeForce 7300 GT silent 256 mb
2 GB 800 MHz ram
500GB HD samsung ecogreen
PicoPSU 120 w

same thing happens with me. i get the ripple effect and screensavers work, but chess crashes like yours does. i have the same board and cpu as you. i have a 7600gs 256mb. i simply got rid of chess. haha.

simsim 09-28-2009 09:42 PM

good to know, maybe its just a bug then.
I never used chess before, only to test for qe/ci :)

[email protected] 09-28-2009 10:14 PM

Need Help!

1 Attachment(s)
I've followed the instructions and cannot get the USB to boot. I have tried many. many things. but, no luck. Need help.
I posted the verbose message screen. The screenshot attached is right before the machine reboots. I Leopard 10.5.6 installed (ideneb), and had no problems with that install.

Here is what the screen reads:
efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL stringdata
Loaded HFS+ file (Extra/smbios.plist) 943 bytes free from 4237430
Patched DMI Table
Loaded HFS+ file (DSDT.aml) 15508 bytes from 4237430
Patched ACPI version 1 DSDT

Then the machine re-boots.
I am using Chameleon 2 RC2 with EFIv10 boot file.

dooododoo 09-29-2009 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 36197)
I've followed the instructions and cannot get the USB to boot. I have tried many. many things. but, no luck. Need help.

i recall reading somewhere that pentium d's can't run vanilla. i could be wrong. this guide worked perfectly fine for me using a basic pentium dual core (e6300). have you ever ran vanilla with your pentium d?

mstam 09-29-2009 02:39 AM

I got mine working fine now incl. an ATI4850 thanks to the following thread:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=182123

One thing that isn't working, is 5.1 out over S/PDIF. Stereo only for now.

[email protected] 09-29-2009 12:50 PM

Vanilla on Leopard

Quote:

Originally Posted by dooododoo (Post 36212)
i recall reading somewhere that pentium d's can't run vanilla. i could be wrong. this guide worked perfectly fine for me using a basic pentium dual core (e6300). have you ever ran vanilla with your pentium d?

Well, I installed Leopard using iDeneb v1.3 (10.5.6).
This is what system profiler says:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F33)
Kernel Version: Darwin 9.2.0
Boot Volume: HAckint0sh
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: Hackint0sh

So, if I can't run vanilla on 10.6, then can you recommend a guide for me to follow?
I am just a little past noobie stage.

raymop

altoidboy 09-29-2009 05:04 PM

sk1nhd33t, thank you so much for all the time/work you've put into this and helping others get up and running. I'm brand new to this and have a couple of questions from the 1st post in this thread:

Quote:

when install DVD restore is done go to snow folder on your Desktop and copy the following to /Extra on your flash drive
● dsdt.aml
● boot.plist - edit this to match your EFI Strings, timeout and Graphics mode
● Extensions[USB] - rename it to Extensions
Where do I find instructions on how to edit the boot.plist? I don't know how to find my EFI strings, timeout, or graphics mode. I searched the forum but can't easily find the answer.

Also, would you consider updating those attached files to the latest? I tried doing it myself but got confused. (e.g. Chameleon RC3, PC-EFI 10.3, etc.)

I've tried a SL install several times on my G31M-ES2L with the VGA PNY VCG85512GXXB 8500GT 512MB graphics card. I've gotten it up and running almost perfectly, except no matter what I try, audio doesn't work (no audio devices show up). I've tried LegacyALC883.kext, I've tried LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver and LegacyHDAPlatformDriver, I've tried both, I've tried Voodoo, but nothing works.

checkitout 09-29-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altoidboy (Post 36279)
Also, would you consider updating those attached files to the latest? I tried doing it myself but got confused. (e.g. Chameleon RC3, PC-EFI 10.3, etc.)
I've gotten it up and running almost perfectly, except no matter what I try, audio doesn't work (no audio devices show up). I've tried LegacyALC883.kext, I've tried LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver and LegacyHDAPlatformDriver, I've tried both, I've tried Voodoo, but nothing works.

This is my situation exactly. I have everything working, except for audio. None of the kexts seem to work, no matter where I place them. I have tried everything and have a G31M-ES2l Rev 1.1 (F8 bios) board.

I migrated my Leopard account, so maybe that caused an issue. I think I may just have to totally wipe the drive and completely start from scratch.

If someone would be so kind as to create a new zip with the currently recommended solution, I would greatly appreciate it as well.

altoidboy 09-30-2009 01:08 AM

Ah, glad to know I'm not alone. But I didn't migrate Leopard. I did a total clean SL install, following a few different guides and trying many different kexts. I'm about to try this guide (the one at the top of this thread) again.