InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

latinoguy 11-10-2009 02:57 AM

What can happen if you update? start over again thats it, this is the funny thing about this, and of course that you can update as well you are using vanilla kernel

Jocelyn84 11-10-2009 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi (Post 39119)
Is it safe to update?

Anybody update to 10.6.2 yet?

Yes, and all went fine. http://netkas.org/?p=315 :)

Just be sure to remove sleepenabler.kext before you update to 10.6.2 and update to the new sleepenabler.kext listed on Netkas' page after updating to 10.6.2

infiniteThanks 11-10-2009 04:04 AM

Making Audio work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by latinoguy (Post 39103)
I have installed and everything runs smooth just the sound doesn't work i had to use an external usb, can someone give me some advice

Sound was tricky for me. I finally got it by
(a) making sure I rebuilt the /Extra/Extensions.mkext after having added the sound kext to the CustomeExtensions folder.

(b) Making sure that the audio output configuration was for "Internal Speakers".

(c) In System Profiler:

No audio in the system profiler implies you don't have the correct BIOS settings.

Less than 5 lines implies that you have correct BIOS settings but the wrong kext or the kext was not loaded. Boot with a -v -x to see what is going on.

Use lspci (a version exists in OSX86Tools to see what you actually have.

A large number of lines (>8) everything is loaded properly. Check (b)

Please look for my post sometime earlier; I can't get to my Mac right now as my daughter has stolen it from me :)

antonehenry 11-10-2009 06:37 AM

It's finally installing now.

Problem I had... I updated my macbook to 10.6.0 from Tiger, which I was using to create the install on my external HDD. I had a partition made for Mac OS X already, reformatted it via Disk Utility during installation on my Hackintosh/Win7 Dual Boot to Mac Extended Journal or whatever it is...

So now it's installing on that partition and rather fast. We'll see how the system is working once it's done.

Problem was, Tiger wasn't able to run the ES2L Kit properly, I believe. Gotta do it from a version of Leopard.

Thanks for the ideas LatinoGuy. Or should I say, Gracias, Amigo?

antonehenry 11-10-2009 07:08 AM

Here's a little followup hiccup I am having.

When trying to boot up, I got a "operating system missing" error from my BIOS. So I have to repair windows via the install disc, then I can use windows' boot manager to select an operating system. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9s6Cesg_j8)
(updating this post as I go along, I am so close!)

If anything, I will just reinstall windows7. No biggie, I just installed it the other day. I think I also saw somewhere that you should instal OS X first if you're going to dual boot with windows 7.

EDIT:::::: Need to reinstall Windows 7 on same partition. That's okay. It's been fun. Next will be trying to boot into OS X. WooHoo.

antonehenry 11-10-2009 09:02 AM

apparently using Disk Utility (OSX) or the Win7 install disc, you cannot format your partitions to install both operating systems on one hard drive. It's hating me right now.

Next I will trying installing them on separate hard drives.

antonehenry 11-10-2009 10:05 AM

EDIT::::: Wow, did this F up my hard drive. I can't find a good way to repartition my hard drive to reinstall windows 7. I even erased all of it via partion magic, disk utility, and windows 7 install cd. Nothing works at all. I can still install OS X on it, but nothing else. Weird.

I keep getting a C:\Boot is corrupt and unreadable error. Maybe I will just install OS X for now, until I get a new HDD. So weird. I have never run into a problem where you just can't completely wipe the HDD and start over. hmm...

EDIT:::: PS sorry for the multiple posts in a row.

I wasn't able to install both on the same HDD. I am now in the process of recovering a HDD i accidentally formatted trying to get both to work nicely dual booting. But should work just fine on separate HDD's

infiniteThanks 11-10-2009 10:54 PM

Dude, use Linux to part the drives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonehenry (Post 39157)
EDIT::::: Wow, did this F up my hard drive. I can't find a good way to repartition my hard drive to reinstall windows 7. I even erased all of it via partion magic, disk utility, and windows 7 install cd. Nothing works at all. I can still install OS X on it, but nothing else. Weird.

Make sure the drive is GUID.
Download any of the latest Linux Live CDs (Ubuntu, Red Hat /Fedora, etc.). Torrent downloads are also available. Burn the iso to a cd. Boot to the live CD.

Use that to repartition using gparted. (System->administration-Gparted)
Linux should be around 8G. The rest is up to you. Partition format is unimportant.

Install W7
Install OSX (see OP)
Install Linux. Linux will install grub and run grub-config automatically which will do an os-probe and ALMOST do the right thing.

Remove CD, boot into Linux, find out which partition has OSX. I use GParted which can be installed using:

sudo apt-get install gparted

Keep gparted around; it is useful!

edit the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file

Add in the custom section at the bottom of the file:

menuentry "Your name for OSX" {
insmod hfsplus
set root=(hd0,6) # your disk /partition may be different
multiboot /boot
boot
}

You must use the custom section else an os-probe will over-write the information. Remove all the other menu entries for OSX in the grub.cfg file; they don't work because they assume a mac efi system. Save the file. You must be root or must do sudoedit to edit and save properly.

If, while booting, you don't see the boot options, you should hit the ESC key when the grub message comes up.

Life saver: the Linux dd command. Installing Windows 7, OSX, multiple times can be a pain. I have used the Linux dd command to save the disks and partitions. Then it is just a matter of copying them back if I messed up. This is not the right forum to go into dd though.

The only issue I have with grub is it does not have a sweet interface like chameleon.

And remember, experiment. Once you are done experimenting, put in a second disk (about 3x the OSX partition) and use the time machine to save your work and you will be happy. It tastes better than icecream.

simsim 11-11-2009 01:06 AM

I updated to 10.6.2.

Removed the old sleep enabler before updating. Got kernel panic. Checked Netkas site, saw this: "There is panic with geforce7 cards and 64-bit kernel mode, use 32-bit kernel mode". I have a 7300 card. In 32 bit everything seems to work.

No big deal. I mostly like 64bit because I get a much higher Geekbench score with it :-)

komodo-tux 11-12-2009 12:28 AM

So, I did the install following this fantastic guide (thanks to all involved) and everything was working great (video, audio, bonjour, sleep, the whole nine yards)! When the 10.6.2 update came out, I cloned my install to a different partition to play with. After following the netkas suggestions, I have some unusual results. First, 10.6.2 will only boot with the -f option; whenever I do not do that, I get an immediate KP. Second even when I boot with -f, I do not have functional audio, even though I'm using the same LeagacyALC883 kext that worked with 10.6.1. One thing I've noticed is that in my working install (10.6.1), there is an an Extensions.mkext in my /Extra folder, but this does not exist in the 10.6.6 install. Could this be part of the problem, and how should I go about fixing it? Thanks again.