InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

bgreen 02-06-2010 04:10 AM

Hi Cheetah

When i try to boot following your instructions with Empire, after boot i get verifying DMI pool data........
Boot from CD/DVD :

\with flashing cursor. As though awaiting input but no response to any key stokes. No input appears possible. Any thoughts?

Cheers Bruce

lflashl 02-06-2010 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montyboy (Post 44473)
Hi. I was just wondering if anyone knew the proper BIOS settings to get this guide to work. I'm running Rev 2. and get kernel panics(ACPI) during boot. Another thing that is concerning me is that my dvd burner is IDE - could this cause issues in the future?

i have read other people have issues with IDE devices best to stick to SATA drives. but with the bios settings, i think that the defaut will work.

montyboy 02-06-2010 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgreen (Post 44512)
Hi Cheetah

When i try to boot following your instructions with Empire, after boot i get verifying DMI pool data........
Boot from CD/DVD :

\with flashing cursor. As though awaiting input but no response to any key stokes. No input appears possible. Any thoughts?

Cheers Bruce

Bruce - do you have any additional storage/drives attached? What are your BIOS settings for boot order?

bgreen 02-06-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montyboy (Post 44516)
Bruce - do you have any additional storage/drives attached? What are your BIOS settings for boot order?

Hi

Thanks for the reply. No additional storage devices attached. Boot order is:

First boot device CDROM
Second device Hard Disk
Third Disabled

Cheers Bruce

Methanoid 02-13-2010 10:14 PM

This is a VERY long thread and perhaps I have missed it in the 15 pages I've read but....

How do I safely update to 10.6.2 from 10.6? I managed to install 10.6 ok but my card was in VESA as I have a Radeon 4670. So I tried the beta booter from Netkas but missed that I needed some kext from 10.6.2 so it didnt work. Then updated to 10.6.2 to get kext and I get KP as SleepEnabler isnt compatible.

I know the OP won't be happy to hear this suggestion but could the 1st post be updated? Ive seen suggestions that we install R1000.kext for some people and we have new MyHack out now and new PC-EFI so the pack could do with an update. I also see that 10.6.2 has a new SleepEnabler kext and default DSDT.

It would be VERY helpful if the guide took us from empty disk to 10.6.2.

EDIT: OK reinstalled and then updated to 10.6.2 with correct SleepEnabler and with onboard VGA. Seems OK. But if I try to put my HD4670 in the machine and replace the boot file with the one from Netkas (http://netkas.org/?p=372) and Pfix'd. But the machine always loads part way and then the screen dies but it continues loading.

Any ideas? It seems its all related to the ffricking 4670 (and I have a 4870 on way for machine #2 so i need to sort these!)

Hopefully then I can just add my 4670 by replacing the "boot" file and repairing permissions!

zim2dive 02-14-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methanoid (Post 44988)
This is a VERY long thread and perhaps I have missed it in the 15 pages I've read but....

How do I safely update to 10.6.2 from 10.6? I managed to install 10.6 ok but my card was in VESA as I have a Radeon 4670. So I tried the beta booter from Netkas but missed that I needed some kext from 10.6.2 so it didnt work. Then updated to 10.6.2 to get kext and I get KP as SleepEnabler isnt compatible.

I know the OP won't be happy to hear this suggestion but could the 1st post be updated? Ive seen suggestions that we install R1000.kext for some people and we have new MyHack out now and new PC-EFI so the pack could do with an update. I also see that 10.6.2 has a new SleepEnabler kext and default DSDT.

EDIT: OK reinstalled and then updated to 10.6.2 with correct SleepEnabler and with onboard VGA. Seems OK. But if I try to put my HD4670 in the machine and replace the boot file with the one from Netkas (http://netkas.org/?p=372) and Pfix'd. But the machine always loads part way and then the screen dies but it continues loading.

Any ideas? It seems its all related to the ffricking 4670 (and I have a 4870 on way for machine #2 so i need to sort these!)

Hopefully then I can just add my 4670 by replacing the "boot" file and repairing permissions!

Its sounds like your issue may be more ATI specific than mobo at this point... dunno if there is a good ATI thread where you might find some info.. I stick to nvidia for osx86 and for linux b/c the drivers are better supported (its got nothing to do with ati vs. nv, just a matter of practicality)

lflashl 02-17-2010 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methanoid (Post 44988)

My understanding is the Nvidia Card are alot easy to install than ATi... there is support for Ati, buy it may take more time!

Methanoid 02-18-2010 09:44 PM

Two problem installs on two machines for me.

One got hosed when going to 10.6.2 and when I tried to reinstall it fails to find the HDD. I even reinstalled standard MBR code to it (no change) then wiped it and repartitioned it. Tried with HD4670 in and without. Tried changing SATA connectors. Tried disabling IDE adaptor.

I really DONT want GUID as I am multi booting or trying to.

I've installed two USB 8gb sticks. One with latest MyHack which has 10.6.2 compatible kexts but it still doesnt see the HDD.

Its taking 24 hours to make the USB Sticks too.. that cannot be correct?!??!

zim2dive 02-18-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methanoid (Post 45216)
Two problem installs on two machines for me.

One got hosed when going to 10.6.2 and when I tried to reinstall it fails to find the HDD. I even reinstalled standard MBR code to it (no change) then wiped it and repartitioned it. Tried with HD4670 in and without. Tried changing SATA connectors. Tried disabling IDE adaptor.

I really DONT want GUID as I am multi booting or trying to.

I've installed two USB 8gb sticks. One with latest MyHack which has 10.6.2 compatible kexts but it still doesnt see the HDD.

Its taking 24 hours to make the USB Sticks too.. that cannot be correct?!??!

yeah, my USB stick took forever and a day to make too.. you don't need to make a new USB stick once you have it.. I don't think.. so why not try a GPT install and then if that works, you know that is your issue.

As for your other troubles, the guide does say to use GPT...

andymodem 02-19-2010 03:41 PM

Has anyone gotten Bonjour to work? No matter what I do I can't seem to get it work. I have the revision 1 of this board, and everything works great except Bonjour. Can someone who has gotten it to work, post what they did? Thanks.

Edit: I'm using the 32bit btw.