InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

macdaddy247 05-03-2010 08:17 AM

Typical.

Ha ha,

Typical!
The evening after I posted about my successful sl build, I got home and it wasn't working properly.
Sound had vanished again (couldn't get it back for some reason. And every 1 in three restarts would bring up a blank blue screen instead of the desktop. The only way to bring the desktop up bing to swith the machine of and on again real fast (bringing it back before it has the chance to actually power down.

I did use the migration tool to copy across some programs and files. This seems to have been the cause of it all. Perhaps because the 2 machines were on different releases of sl (10.6.0 and 10.6.3).
Doh. Back to the drawing board.

macdaddy247 05-05-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunun (Post 47889)
in the first post, it was clear that Ethernet would not work with rev 2 boards. your fail

Yeah... I know... :o

Must have over-looked it with all the excitement...

OmniAtlas 05-09-2010 01:42 AM

Hey all, followed the directions and installed Snow Leopard on my G31M-S2L (not the G31M-ES2l); had initial problems because I have an ATI-4850 and the boot loader doesn't support the graphics chip, so I had to install with the -x fix. Someone should ask them to include the new boot file from netkas.org which supports more recent graphics cards.

Nevertheless, got it installed, and got graphics working with ATI4800Controller.kext (after making changes to ATI4800Controller.kext). Installed 10.6.3 -- reinstalled the new sleep enabler, graphics didn't work again so I had to revert to drivers from 10.6.2. I have a external sound card via USB (creative X-MON) so everything works fine.

I was a bit confused with the DSDT file because the changes mentioned couldn't be found in my personalised dsdt file. I moved it to /Extras anyway.

Now, my only problem, my SL hard drive sometimes randomly just reads and I can't do anything on my computer. For example, I'll be surfing with google chrome with minimal apps open, and the red light on my computer will blink for a minute or so. In that time period I can't do anything. I'm using a SATA hard drive, with S.M.A.R.T turned on, partition map type is MBR shared with a Windows 7 partition.

Has anyone experienced this? I've run iDefrag, but I still have the problem. I have 4 GB of physical ram which I think is sufficient to run SL. I'd appreciate any help!

rwillett 05-19-2010 12:24 PM

Anybody using the quad core CPU's on this MB?

I have a working system using the dual core CPU. It's nicely patched upto 10.6.3 and works very well.

However as is the nature of these things, I want something quicker and wondered if anybody has put a quad core CPU on the G31M board. is there a tremendous difference in speed, is it kinda nice but the OS ignores the 3rd and 4th cores.

Any information welcomed.

Thanks,

Rob.

zim2dive 05-19-2010 11:06 PM

fan control?

I'd like to connect and use the 3-pin fan on the mobo, but it seems like its always on full tilt.

SMC fan control crashes when I try to run that, and "Fan Control 1.2" reports -1 rpm for the fan :)

anyone had any luck controlling the fans with our mobo?

ae86keidori 05-22-2010 06:49 PM

help!!!

I followed the directions to the letter my system configuration is follows:

mobo: ga-g31m-es2l ver2
ram: 2gb ddr 800
hd: 620gb wd sata
optical drive: dvdrw lg sata
video card: msi nvidia 9400gt

I formated my thumb drive with guid, then restored the snow lepord image to my thumb drive, ran my hack install (with the options provided) and pointed the install to my thumb drive, edited my plist and then booted to my thumb drive. It all looks like its loading fine then it hangs on "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCpuPower Managment) timed out"

From my understanding when your running the setup for my hackinstaller and you choose the nullcpumanagment.kext this should solve the problem. However it gets stuck on this point, any help would be greatly appreciated!

ZappedC64 05-23-2010 03:19 PM

10.6.3 update and Extensions

Hello,

I have the same motherboard as in the title of this forum post. I got my system fully functional with the instructions in this forum, yes, even sound. :) After I upgraded to 10.6.3, I lost sound and could not get it back.

I was able to get the sound back... but through probably the wrong way. I wiped the drive and reinstalled. After I had everything working, I backed up the Extensions directory. Then I updated to 10.6.3, rebooted, renamed the updated Extenstions directory, and then put the pre 10.6.3 Extensions directory back in place and ran pfix.

Are there any downsides to what I did?

Kind regards,
-=ZappedC64=-

dal 05-26-2010 03:30 PM

boot issue

I'm getting a no boot disk error after installing snow leopard following this guide but can still boot into OSX & windows 7 using the bootable flash drive that was used for the install. Chameleon loads up from the flash drive but i'd really like to bypass the flash drive and boot from the hard drive.
I only have one hard drive and it has 4 partitions on it. One for windows 7 recovery, windows 7, xp , and osx. The osx partition was added last.
When I boot off the flash, chameleon loads and I can choose to boot into osx, or the windows loader where I can choose between 7 and xp.

Thanks in advance

David

zcream 06-10-2010 10:07 AM

Ethernet AR8131 for ES2l v2

In case someone missed out, there is a kext to enable onboard ethernet with the ar8131 chipset. Ethernet is working great on my ES2L v2 with 10.6.3 but sound is a biiiig problem.
Look here..
http://code.google.com/p/iats/downloads/list

BlaSTiWi 06-14-2010 02:31 AM

Tkx! What's L1 & L2 stuff? Which particular one to use?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcream (Post 48746)
In case someone missed out, there is a kext to enable onboard ethernet with the ar8131 chipset. Ethernet is working great on my ES2L v2 with 10.6.3 but sound is a biiiig problem.
Look here..
http://code.google.com/p/iats/downloads/list