InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

zooloo 09-02-2010 06:52 PM

Hi all.

I have a stable 10.6.0 on my hackintosh (G31M-ES2L) ... I want to try out some games on Steam and according to the hardware/software reqs I need to be on 10.6.3 or later.

My 10.6.0 was not done using this guide, but rather one I found on insanelymac.... does this matter or do you clever people think the methods suggested in this thread will work to update my system to 10.6.4? :)

Also, another (possibly dumb) question .. if I was to go ahead with the update, is it best to download the stand alone combo updates from Apple or just use the software update from within OSX?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

cheers... zooloo

funkkube 09-02-2010 10:56 PM

G31M-ES2L Motherboard Snow Leopard Install NO SOUND HELP

HI
I installed from a stick with MYHACK(latest version) on it from retail DVD.
Worked like a charm.
Updated to 10.6.4.. Working great.
9600gt gfx all good..ethernet good..
I cannot however get the sound to work..
Working ok on 10.5.8 but I guess I am doing something wrong..
Installed the 883 kext in the extra folder.. run kext utility and just to make sure pf fix.. rebooted no joy..
is the dsdt needed in the extra folder for sound to work?
I took the myhack one compiled it ok and stuck it in the extra folder but still no joy.. The myhack dsdt.aml file was created based on the same motherboard.
Can anyone help me please as I am getting frustrated!! :-(
Cheers in advance
Mat

blazingangel1986 09-06-2010 09:20 PM

Iatkos s3 snow leopard 10.6.3

anybody have any idea how to go about installing snow leopard on this this board g31m-e2sl ?? graphic card is a PCIE ATI HD 4300 processor is an Intel Pentium D 3.00 ghz CPU

ive attempted several times i always get a kernel panic or in one case a grey screen with nothing not even the mouse? im wondering if should take out the graphics card and give it a go with the onboard card? can i then later install the card without any issues

rwillett 09-15-2010 09:24 PM

I suggest you read the first page of this thread, if you follow the instructions it does work. If it doesn't it's because you have deviated from the path.

I have used it to install on the V1 and V2 version of this motherboard. The onboard graphics cards will actually work, though only at 1280x1024 or 1024x800. Can't remember which one, but you will see a Mac desktop. Only then would I try and use your graphics card. No idea if your card will work, as never used it. I stuck to Asus 9400 and 9600 and they work out the box which is nice.

Rob.

rwillett 09-15-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricky_kid (Post 50212)
Everything worked fine tho? No trouble booting or anything? What video card are you using?

Whoops,

Missed this reply. I use (or used until tonight) an Asus 9400GT. Works perfectly well for me with zero hassle. No messing around with nvcap or strings or any of that rubbish. No upgrade hassles at all, zero, zilch, null and nil.

As of tonight I have an Asus 9600GT Silent which also "just works". I unplugged my 9400GT, plugged in the 9600GT and it all "just worked". No changes.

Quartz works, hardware acceleration works, it's silent (no fans) and I'm happy. Is it the latest and greatest? No, but I use my Hack for work and I like it simple and easy.

Rob.

rwillett 09-15-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooloo (Post 50493)
Hi all.

I have a stable 10.6.0 on my hackintosh (G31M-ES2L) ... I want to try out some games on Steam and according to the hardware/software reqs I need to be on 10.6.3 or later.

My 10.6.0 was not done using this guide, but rather one I found on insanelymac.... does this matter or do you clever people think the methods suggested in this thread will work to update my system to 10.6.4? :)

Also, another (possibly dumb) question .. if I was to go ahead with the update, is it best to download the stand alone combo updates from Apple or just use the software update from within OSX?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

cheers... zooloo

The big issue with the upgrades is the Sleepenabler kext. I have never, ever got sleep to work and have tried everything in the 60 pages in this thread. I have even built a second identical system to test this out on (yes I'm mad, but it's still cheaper than a Mac Pro and I was annoyed) and cannot get sleep to ever work. So I pulled the sleepenabler.kext, rebuilt the system and upgraded to 10.6.4 with no problems.

AFAIK there are no differences between upgrading through standalones or direct downloads or through a dedicated Apple server. I run a Mac Mini with a fully legit copy of Snow Leopard Server on, and use that as my distribution point for mac upgrades. However I have used the combo upgrades in the past as well with no differences.

Rob

JShubert683 09-16-2010 04:59 AM

to fix the sound takes some research but its EASY download the newest multibeast run it DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING BUT the AppleHDA 10.6.2 rollback install to a pfix reboot wala sound....

heckenschutze 09-17-2010 07:05 PM

complete success. this thread alone was so in depth and precise. Thank you to everyone and what worked/didn't work for you.

i purchased all of the parts from Newegg, aside the a case, power supply and hard drive. Spent $407 total - 2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Quad, Gigabyte G31m-ES2L Mobo, nVidia GeForce 9500GT, DVD-ROM & 8GB Flash Drive.

I am running 10.6.4 w/ Built-In Ethernet and Sound. Don't recall my exact ways of getting it to all work, but use that ethernet kext a few pages back, works wonders. I know I used the AppleHDA.kext but don't recall if I used the ALC883.kext or LegacyALC883.kext.

REMOVE sleepenabler.kext BEFORE using Software Update & upgrading to 10.6.4

So far my system is stable; been running for hours (i did turn off Sleep though) So far I have Final Cut Studio 3 installed and waiting for Avid Media Composer 5.0 - Should be interesting to see how my Hackintosh handles editing RED Cam & 5D Footage (if possible).

ARD works great as well :) can connect to my Hackintosh from my iMac at work using RealVNC.

Only issue I ran into early in my progress b4 10.6.4 update was a system freeze when trying to boot up after installing the AppleHDA.kext file using KextHelper. (I didn't repair permissions b4 my restart which I think was the issue, I tried to boot into the OSX Installer via USB Drive & repair that way, but no dice, I had to reinstall). After that, I ran Disk Utility>Repair Permissions & the pfix from the myHack collection everytime I installed new kexts.

O and this is my first official Hackintosh; I've been running Leopard in VMWare from my Windows 7 machine for some time; but just couldn't use any software and it was rather slow.

Happy Hacking!

yys2000 09-19-2010 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkkube (Post 50499)
HI
I installed from a stick with MYHACK(latest version) on it from retail DVD.
Worked like a charm.
Updated to 10.6.4.. Working great.
9600gt gfx all good..ethernet good..
I cannot however get the sound to work..
Working ok on 10.5.8 but I guess I am doing something wrong..
Installed the 883 kext in the extra folder.. run kext utility and just to make sure pf fix.. rebooted no joy..
is the dsdt needed in the extra folder for sound to work?
I took the myhack one compiled it ok and stuck it in the extra folder but still no joy.. The myhack dsdt.aml file was created based on the same motherboard.
Can anyone help me please as I am getting frustrated!! :-(
Cheers in advance
Mat

Please post your hardware config, such as video card,etc.:D

heckenschutze 09-20-2010 07:59 PM

My Specs:

G31M-ES2L Motherboard
nVidia GeForce 9500GT PCI-e GPU
4GB DDR2 800 Memory
200GB SATA II Hard Drive
DVD-ROM
Onboard Sound w/ VoodooHDA kext
Onboard Ethernet w/ AR8131 kext
Snow Leopard 10.6.4
Avid Media Composer 5.0
Final Cut Studio 3
MPEG Streamclip
Handbrake

I was using the LegacyALC883 & AppleHDA kexts but they kept crashing my Avid due to "failed to initialize audio hardware", but I found the VoodooHDA kext, tried it and BAM! works great plus it gives me the port selection in Audio Options

My system has been running stable for 3 Days about 4-8hrs per day. Haven't had a chance to test Avid & Final Cut, but hopefully I will this week sometime. I'll be running some RED Cam Footage and 5D Footage to test and see how it handles on the Hack Pro.