InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

zcream 09-25-2010 01:33 PM

/Extra backup

I installed Chameleon and General Extensions using Netbook Installer in order to upgrade to 10.6.4 (I dont know why I thought 10.6.4 might be a problem).

Now I get a crash while booting. I did not backup my /Extra folder.
Could someone please put up a zipped copy of their Extra folder ? I have the ES2L with the AtherosL1C ethernet.

My system crashed on the HPET error if thats important.

cdoublejj 09-25-2010 09:27 PM

How do i do this with out another mac. I have an iso with kexts/hacks but, it just asks me to reboot after install cause there is something wrong. My question is how do i do this with out a Mac. and will be able to get updates from Mac. Do you have to inter a key after/during install like windows?

I might mention i plan installing on the gigabyte G31M-ES2L on quad boot with XP, 7, and Ubuntu 9.10.
oh there is a kext out for the network on later revisions of the G31M-ES2L mine being one.

jofmatos 10-07-2010 05:19 PM

Guys, I know its annoying to be repetitive, but I cant situate in what situation this thread is... I just bought this board, rev 2.0, installed retail 1.6.0 with iBoot, and then upgreaded with multibeast 1.6.4, with voodooHDA + voodooPS2, and with kext helper I tried AtherosL1cEthernet from 4shared that Ive found... and NOTHING works! Only my geforce 8400gs. I cant even turn off my computer... and as I read, 10.6.4 doesnt seems to be compatible with 10.6.2 kexts. I mean, i am very confused, can anyone help me out?

Greetings from Brazil!

rwillett 10-07-2010 05:38 PM

You are mixing up multiple installation methods, therefore chaos will ensue.

I have a Release 1 board and a Release 2 board. Both work with the guide at the front of this thread. The guide at the front doesn't talk about iBoot or Multiboot, so don't use them here. Start at the beginning and work through the first post in this thread. It does work as I have done it on a number of occasions.

If you want any help, start at the first post, download the various files in the links and work your way through each step in order. if you find yourself stuck on a particular step, then ask for help. But do follow the steps in the first post. You do not need to look at any other post to get the OS installed.

Things you need to know:

1. State exactly what you have done to get it working based on the steps in the first post. Do not mix kexts up from other installation methods and hope it will work, it may but then again it may not and nobody has any idea what state your install is now in. I repeat the install instructions do work for both revisions of the G31M-ESL board. The more information you give, the more chance of somebody helping you. Whining doesn't help.

2. Ignore peripheral issues like sound and graphics, get a base install working first. You say you have the R2 release board therefore you will NOT get ethernet working on the MB, disable it in the bios and get a supported ethernet card. I have ethernet cards that work in the PCI slot and the PCI-E slot. The Ethernet cards are cheap $5-$15 range. You're saving hundreds of dollars on a mac, get a supported ethernet card and don't try to get some obscure manufacturer to work.

2. Sleep is a major pain and I have never got it to work. I remove the sleepenabler.kext and you will need to remove it to get the updates to work. Do not do updates until you have a stable system, if it's not stable for 10.6.0 it will NOT be stable at 10.6.4.

3. Sound can be a pain on both R1 and R2 boards, I use an external USB sound card, the iMic to get around this problem.

So go to step 1 on the first post, download the files and work your way through it line by line. When you don't understand ask, but as many people will state, the instructions do work.

[Edited to update information]

zim2dive 10-07-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jofmatos (Post 51058)
Guys, I know its annoying to be repetitive, but I cant situate in what situation this thread is... I just bought this board, rev 2.0, installed retail 1.6.0 with iBoot, and then upgreaded with multibeast 1.6.4, with voodooHDA + voodooPS2, and with kext helper I tried AtherosL1cEthernet from 4shared that Ive found... and NOTHING works! Only my geforce 8400gs. I cant even turn off my computer... and as I read, 10.6.4 doesnt seems to be compatible with 10.6.2 kexts. I mean, i am very confused, can anyone help me out?

Greetings from Brazil!

If you want help from this thread, you might want to use the method FROM this thread, post #1.

naujoks 10-08-2010 05:07 PM

Just a bit of good news (for me):
I managed to get everything to work just perfectly -

- Sleep
- Graphics (out of box with Geforce 8800GT)
- CPU E5300
- Installed on IDE disk (not SATA)
- Dual Boot with Windows
- Sound (using VoodooHDA)
- Ethernet (using the Atheros driver floating about here somewhere)
- Snow Leopard 10.6.4 32 bit

The only thing which I don't like is that the fonts on my TFT screen look decidedly blurry compared to the Windows 7 fonts (the screen IS running at its native 1280x1024 resolution!). Under XP I'd probably run something like Clearview. Is there a similar kind of thing for Macs?

Otherwise very very happy!

jofmatos 10-08-2010 08:33 PM

did you try to change the refresh rate?
and how's your mic going, working?

congrats, man! :)

naujoks 10-08-2010 10:18 PM

I've just read something about trying to change the font smoothing setting under Appearance. That might help. I'll try that. Refresh rate untouched so far.

Haven't tried mic, but I have not needed one in all my life (counting 40 years so far), so I'm not worried about it...

rudypooch 10-09-2010 09:53 PM

Stuck at Preparing Installation

Hey guys, thanks for making this guide. I need a little help though. I am using a G31M-ES2L trying to install from a retail copy of SL 10.6.3 that is mounted on a USB-HDD. I am using an E3300 which the BIOS reads as 1.8Ghz for some reason, not 2.5Ghz. In any case, my issue is that I am getting stuck at the "Preparing Installation" screen. The bar just keeps moving. I can access Utilities and such, but I can't chose a destination to install. Also the options I had during the myHack bit (under customize) were different than the options presented on the first page, I checked everything that was listed that I could. Please assist. Thanks!

zim2dive 10-19-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudypooch (Post 51083)
Hey guys, thanks for making this guide. I need a little help though. I am using a G31M-ES2L trying to install from a retail copy of SL 10.6.3 that is mounted on a USB-HDD. I am using an E3300 which the BIOS reads as 1.8Ghz for some reason, not 2.5Ghz. In any case, my issue is that I am getting stuck at the "Preparing Installation" screen. The bar just keeps moving. I can access Utilities and such, but I can't chose a destination to install. Also the options I had during the myHack bit (under customize) were different than the options presented on the first page, I checked everything that was listed that I could. Please assist. Thanks!

you may need to manually set the clock multipliers in BIOS.