InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

rwillett 01-19-2011 10:28 PM

I know it's bad form to quote your own submission but in this case I'll make an exception as I finally appear to have automatic sleep working, which is pretty damm pleasing :)

The one hassle I have on my desktop is the lack of automatic sleep through the Energy Save in the System Settings. It has never worked and I know many people seem to have had the same problem.

Many months ago, somebody stated they used PleaseSleep to make this work, it never worked for me so I gave up. I have just tried it again and it does work. I set the Energy Settings to one minute and after one minute the machine goes to sleep. Lights go off, fans stop working and my machine is asleep. There are no dvd's in the drive, no other hacks.

The sleepenabler is the one for 10.6.x from Google with voorflags set in /Extra/com.boot.apple.plist.

The last thing is that it will not awake from keyboard or mouse, I need to bend over and press the power switch. This I will live with.

Yours,

Rob.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwillett (Post 52353)
I've had my Hackintosh working through this thread for some time, probably a year by now, and have no real issues with it. Firewire works, sound is through an iMic USB connector, Ethernet is a PCI Realtek card and I use a silent Asus 9400GT card. It's a nice quiet quad core system that I don't really tinker with as I use it day in day out.

The only problem I've has is getting sleep to actually work, as far as I can see I have never got sleep to work in 10.6.2,10.6.3,10.6.4,10.6.5 and now 10.6.6.

I have tried numerous sleepenablers, DVD's in drive's, anything and everything, even going to the expense of building a new identical system just to try things out.

I have installed the latest 10.6.x sleepenabler, added the pmVersion=21 to com.boot.apple.plist and tried setting things in the System Preferences.

I set the monitor to two mins and the computer sleep to two mins and have ticked the four checkboxes underneath "Put the hard disks to sleep when possible", "Wake for Ethernet access", "Allow power button to put computer to sleep" and "start up automatically after a power failure".

After two mins of inactivity the screen goes blank and I need to waggle the mouse to get it to come back.

So how do I know the system hasn't gone to sleep in this time as well and it's got an instantaneous startup (which is possible). Should CPU fans spin down? should all the power lights on the box go off? Since the screen's gone I can't see anything happening there. Should there be console messages? I know this sounds a bit lame (and a dumb question), but any help would be great here.

Thanks,

Rob.

zim2dive 01-20-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwillett (Post 52364)
I know it's bad form to quote your own submission but in this case I'll make an exception as I finally appear to have automatic sleep working, which is pretty damm pleasing :)

The one hassle I have on my desktop is the lack of automatic sleep through the Energy Save in the System Settings. It has never worked and I know many people seem to have had the same problem.

sorry for the late response

a) you know your system is sleeping b/c you can hear the @#%@#% fan (if you have one plugged in to you mobo sysfan) stop
b) I posted back ~15 posts ago that I also had trouble for a long time, and *for me*, the difference to getting sleep to work (with SleepEnabler) was the choice of which fakesmc I used. I'm not smart enough to explain why it made a difference.. but for me, that made the difference.

rwillett 01-20-2011 03:32 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I changed out every component on the computer for ultra-quiet stuff, so the fan is silent even when you open the case and put your ear next to it, same for PSU and all other fans e.g. I run a silent Asus 9400GT card. Which makes it difficult to hear anything The machine is genuinely silent. :)

What I found was that the lights do go off on the case.

I haven't changed the fakesmc kext over, but wonder if PleaseSleep has the same functionality?

Do you have to press the power button to resume from sleep or can you do this from the mouse or keyboard? I have to use the power button.

Rob.

benniepooh 01-21-2011 10:33 PM

sleeping

If you ping it, and it doesn't respond, it's asleep. And if you look at console messages after you wake it up, you'll see:

Jan 18 18:37:06 bens-iMac kernel[0]: System Sleep
Jan 18 22:49:41 Bens-iMac kernel[0]: Wake reason = UHC4
Jan 18 22:49:41 Bens-iMac kernel[0]: System Wake
Jan 18 22:49:41 Bens-iMac kernel[0]: Previous Sleep Cause: 0

clumber 01-25-2011 05:07 PM

10.6.6 No Airport Card

Here's a problem that has left me scratching my head... I applied the 10.6.6 update on my 10.6.4 system and everything looked fine. My Broadcom based WiFi card was seen and was working. I was running on a single 2GB memory stick as I had a stick of memory go bad, and meanwhile got 2 new Corsair memory sticks to bring the system back up to 4GB, rebooted 10.6.6 and there's no WiFi found. Remove a stick of memory and it's back. I'm running the 64 bit kernel, and obviously would prefer to have all 4GB of memory in the system. lspci shows the WiFi card as
04:01.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Belkin F5D7000uk 54G Wireless Network Card
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 32, IRQ 19
Memory at fdcfe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
I'm not sure what else to look at. Any suggestions? The motherboard is a 2.4 revision level, and I've booted in 32 bit and 64 bit with the same results.

clumber

Update: Well, maybe this explains it: BCM4320 on 10.6.5

Quote:

Thank you so much, it took a bit of fiddling but once I realised it was a Kernel issue I got it fixed.

For anyone else with this issue, I used IO80211Family.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext, IOUSBFamily.kext and mach_kernel from 10.6.4 with everything else stock 10.6.6 and it's running stably with wifi working.
I'm not sure it's worth it to do this much fiddling just to get the AppStore... maybe 10.6.7 will be a fix for it.

blashman 01-29-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disco monkey (Post 52187)
yes it's in 64bit.
here's my Extra folder
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EDAMWZ4Z

Thanks disco monkey for your upload.
Unfortunately the sleep doesn't work for me. I don't know why but system reboots while trying to awake.

zim2dive 01-29-2011 04:56 PM

I recently moved my box to do HTPC duties and started using the digital out, using an alleged gigabyte widget off ebay that connects to the digital out header on the mobo..it has coax and optical out... I'm finding that it seems to randomly(?) pick which of those 2 is active.. so I'll have sound showing as an output, but get none.. I go to my rcvr and toggle the audio in btw coax-1 and optical-1 and I get sound again.. anyone else see this and have a solution to get the result to be predictable?

tooriski 01-31-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blashman (Post 52535)
Thanks disco monkey for your upload.
Unfortunately the sleep doesn't work for me. I don't know why but system reboots while trying to awake.

I had the same problem.
make sure "start up automatically after power failure" is checked under Energy Saver options in system preferences.

zim2dive 02-01-2011 02:36 PM

Ran into something new last night.. I had recently moved my hack to serve at HTPC and had swapped in an nvidia GT240 (using DVI out). All worked fine. Then last night, I rebooted and got stuck with a 1024x768 (I think) screen (on my 1080 TV)... the monitors panel showed no other options. When I rebooted again, I noticed a VERY brief error message in top the left corner of the screen right as the countdown counter expires and the myHack screen comes up. The text is there for all of half a second... I tried booting verbose and did not see it... the bet I could make out is something about "bad display ... block...Error: Nvidia ROM patching failed (0x 0)" (this is off of memory, I left my notes at home).

Some googling found other similar reports.. but I did not find any obvious solution... other than pulling the GT240 and putting in a 9500GT I had as a spare... came right back up to 1920x1080 (or as 10.6. seems to like to call it "1080p".

Can anyone point me towards more info on this? I did this install way way long ago.. perhaps is there a newer myHack and/or graphicsenabler I should be installing over what I have now?

also I noticed whatever does this happens before I pick the boot drive in chameleon? ie. even when I switch to my backup drive, the resolution was wrong.

Just to be clear.. everything was working just fine for weeks. Last night I tried to put the machine to sleep, it seemed to get half-way there and then hang... fans blowing full.. so I rebooted and had the bad resolution.

alltoorobot 02-18-2011 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zim2dive (Post 52569)
Ran into something new last night.. I had recently moved my hack to serve at HTPC and had swapped in an nvidia GT240 (using DVI out). All worked fine. Then last night, I rebooted and got stuck with a 1024x768 (I think) screen (on my 1080 TV)... the monitors panel showed no other options. When I rebooted again, I noticed a VERY brief error message in top the left corner of the screen right as the countdown counter expires and the myHack screen comes up. The text is there for all of half a second... I tried booting verbose and did not see it... the bet I could make out is something about "bad display ... block...Error: Nvidia ROM patching failed (0x 0)" (this is off of memory, I left my notes at home).

Some googling found other similar reports.. but I did not find any obvious solution... other than pulling the GT240 and putting in a 9500GT I had as a spare... came right back up to 1920x1080 (or as 10.6. seems to like to call it "1080p".

Can anyone point me towards more info on this? I did this install way way long ago.. perhaps is there a newer myHack and/or graphicsenabler I should be installing over what I have now?

also I noticed whatever does this happens before I pick the boot drive in chameleon? ie. even when I switch to my backup drive, the resolution was wrong.

Just to be clear.. everything was working just fine for weeks. Last night I tried to put the machine to sleep, it seemed to get half-way there and then hang... fans blowing full.. so I rebooted and had the bad resolution.

Zim,

Do you have a clone for backup? If I was you, I might start trying out different configurations. You could do a fresh install, using iboot. I'm not sure what exactly is going on there. They are using very new Chameleon boot loaders rc2 ver699. those boot loaders have built in graphics card recognition and other new features. May help you out. If you have a bootable clone of your system, you could try just changing the bootloader.

Just some thoughts

I'm having trouble on my eg31m-s2, which is also supposed to be my media center. The resolutions, 1920 x 1080x60 are giving me squiggle lines . making 1080p plasma look like a puzzle. I have to reduce resolution and even then picture is off centered. this is on the 9800gt through dvi-vga.

weird stuff

may just go back to w7