InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Leopard 10.5 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   [Solved] AMD Dual Core Timing Issue AKA Mouse Bug (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=734)

Firewalk 03-17-2008 04:18 AM

Will test as i have triple boot xp. can anyone recommend any benchmarking proggies for xp and vista. to test i shall revert settings and run benchmarks, then change settings and run benchmarks to compare..
strangely my keyboard seems more responsive..
Firewalk

Ianxxx 03-17-2008 04:23 AM

Quote:

[cite] Firewalk:[/cite]Will test as i have triple boot xp. can anyone recommend any benchmarking proggies for xp and vista. to test i shall revert settings and run benchmarks, then change settings and run benchmarks to compare..
strangely my keyboard seems more responsive..
Firewalk
I don't think thats strange everything in my system seems more responsive with the slower settings
Not sure about best benchmarking software, sisoft sandra, 3dmark?

WinLinMac01 03-17-2008 04:28 AM

this strange mouse movement could be memory related too you know. have you noticed any performance lag lately?

Firewalk 03-17-2008 04:29 AM

lanxxx, gotta say this has made my system feel smoother more reponsive.

one again thank you for the idea

Firwalk

P.S need something else to fix now, quickly running out of bugs real life looming (need a crash)..

Ianxxx 03-17-2008 04:31 AM

Quote:

[cite] WinLinMac01:[/cite]this strange mouse movement could be memory related too you know. have you noticed any performance lag lately?
The fact that slowing down the hypertransport link makes a huge difference I would think suggests very strongly that it could be memory related.

Question is why are some people having this problem and not others what is the difference in those systems?

WinLinMac01 03-17-2008 04:43 AM

@firewalk, I was just wondering, what are your system specifications?

agrafuese 03-17-2008 04:52 AM

IMHO, the verdict is still out on this one because it can take hours or days until this slowdown occurs, from my experience. i'm taking extra care not to restart my system so i can see if it is indeed memory related or not. i am also trying to run performance-intensive apps to speed up the results.

we've got varying setups, from what i can see. firewalk's specs as he told me are:
"asus 690 chipset sb600 i think m2a-vm hdmi,CPU: amd x2 4800 (no overclocking),RAM: 4gb ddr2 800mhz, Video Card: ati X1650 ddr3 256 dual dvi."

he and i have nothing in common, system-wise. i have an NF4 chipset and 1GB DDR2 400MHz, not to mention a different GPU. so that sounds a little fishy to me. Ianxxx, what were your specs?

Firewalk 03-17-2008 04:55 AM

WinLinMac01, specs as above..

StealthMode 03-17-2008 04:56 AM

I too am having this issue, I was referred to this thread after I posted my own. Anyway I seem to recall having a problem where my Tiger install would lock up periodically, I was overclocked at the time (stable in XP) so I put it back to stock and it fixed my issues. Now after reading the replies here it makes sense that turning the HT link down or loosening up the RAM timings might in fact fix this issue. I am currently overclocked right now which hasn't made it any worse than before (different CPU than I had with Tiger). I am going to loosen the timings and I will let you know if it makes any difference.

AMD Opteron 165 (Dual Core)
DFI Ultra-D nForce4 Ultra
G.Skill 2gb RAM
eVGA Geforce 6800GS (QE/CI)
Buffalo WiFi (Broadcom chipset)
WD 120gb SATA (Leopard)
WD 250gb SATA (Time Machine)
WD 250gb SATA (Windows XP)
WD 500gb SAT

Ianxxx 03-17-2008 04:56 AM

nforce 4 ultra
3800 + socket 939
2 gig DDR 400
So it looks like me and you have similar systems but firewalks doesn't fit.!