InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] EVGA X58 Snow Leopard Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J567) Installation (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3854)

yaboydj 12-17-2009 04:49 PM

Nevermind my question, it was my own idiocracy

Quote:

Originally Posted by msf5042 (Post 41382)
This is a small issue I noticed but wanted to see if anyone knew anything about it: when I have a cd in my cd drive I can only eject through the OS, pressing the eject button on the drive does nothing. Anyone else have this issue?

I've actually had this problem on my MacBook Pro (eject button on keyboard) as well as a previous Hackintosh. May be a software issue.

msf5042 12-17-2009 05:43 PM

I've heard a lot of windows users having issues with S3 sleep on our board too. If you have overclocked your cpu then forget about it.

The latest bios version (SZ2Z, release about 3 weeks ago) adds HPET to our BIOS. Maybe it will help us.

I wish that there was source code for netkas' 10.6.2 sleepenabler...

yaboydj 12-17-2009 11:35 PM

No Video Signal

For some reason I lose my video signal everytime the boot process ends (-x -v). It looks as though it loads successfully but then i immediately lose the signal to my monitor. I followed the tutorial to the letter and specs are :
EVGA x58
Core i7 920
12GB DDR3
2x GTX 285 OCX
Velociraptor 300gb for Snow kitty

Any help is appreciated. I've run 10.5.7 on this setup before but Snow is giving me a run for my money.

msf5042 12-18-2009 02:47 AM

stop reinstalling and work on a fix for your graphics card.
do you have graphicsenabler set to yes in the com.apple.boot.plist?
did u try an efi string?
maybe try replacing the chameleon boot with pc efi and see what happens. if that doesn't work switch back i would switch back to chameleon and consider removing one of the graphics cards, getting the system working with one, and the plugging away to get both of them working....

yaboydj 12-18-2009 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msf5042 (Post 41425)
stop reinstalling and work on a fix for your graphics card.
do you have graphicsenabler set to yes in the com.apple.boot.plist?
did u try an efi string?
maybe try replacing the chameleon boot with pc efi and see what happens. if that doesn't work switch back i would switch back to chameleon and consider removing one of the graphics cards, getting the system working with one, and the plugging away to get both of them working....

Firstly, thanks for the reply!
I have graphics enabler set to yes, i actually just moved on to trying out pc efi, if that doesn't work i'll try 1 vid at a time

yaboydj 12-18-2009 04:24 PM

Still no luck

Nothing new yet. redid the EFI string and verified it with DD's script just in case, made my own dsdt.aml, still no dice. I saw on another website that someone had this issue with their ATI video card, even though i have nvidia i tried their fix (one monitor with hdmi/dvi connector and one with dvi) still no go. Tried one monitor at a time and one card at a time also. continuing my never-ending google search for answers, this install will not beat me!

Update: I just switched from not having a signal to having a signal but no picture, baby steps, but progress!

Update: Success! Used Enabler for Nvidia from netkas and redid efi string. Registering now and will update 10.6.2 asap. Thanx for the guide xxxslayeriiixxx and for the help msf5042

jonny_wonny 12-31-2009 09:03 PM

Yay!

Another happy customer. :) Everything worked great. Only problem I had was because I installed the graphics card drivers that came with Kalyway, which was causing problems when it was trying to boot. Once I deleted all the drivers everything worked fine.

Yay!

mm2311 01-07-2010 06:22 PM

EVGA X58 - USB to SATA Boot

Guys,

I followed the instructions for the installation and was successfully able to create a bootable USB Snow Leopard with 10.6.2. (boots fine but SLOW...lol)

However, now I would like to get that working on my SATA drive!

I used disk utilty to copy the USB image to my SATA drive and then downloaded and ran commands to install the latest version of Chameleon v2 684.

However when I boot up the SATA hard drive I get get stuck at the Apple loading screen, there is no kernel panic.

I do not see any Chameleon loader, like it used to have for iatkos v7 when I was using Leopard.

Questions.

1.) How do I boot into -v mode to see what is getting caught up (com.apple.Boot.plist?)

2.) How can I get the Chameleon boot loader to show so that I can select my other hard drive with Windows 7?

3.) Do I need to recreate a new dsdt.aml file?

4.) Should I use SuperDuper or some other cloning software?

Any help is greatly appreciated. My flash boot loader loads audio, ethernet, and video all perfectly. Thanks.

EVA X58
Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT (256MB)
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67 (OC'ed 3.2GHZ)
6GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHZ

msf5042 01-08-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

1.) How do I boot into -v mode to see what is getting caught up (com.apple.Boot.plist?)
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-x64</string>

Quote:

2.) How can I get the Chameleon boot loader to show so that I can select my other hard drive with Windows 7?
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GUI</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Quote:

3.) Do I need to recreate a new dsdt.aml file?
No

Quote:

4.) Should I use SuperDuper or some other cloning software?
Use superduper to clone the drive, then change to the new UUID in com.apple.boot.plist, then install the boot0 and boot1h as per the chameleon installation instructions.

msf5042 01-08-2010 12:45 AM

guys:

You might want to check out this thread on the SZ2Z bios and removing disabler.kext and nullcpupowermanagement.kext...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=200950

mm2311 01-08-2010 06:41 AM

EVGA X58 USB to SATA

After modifying my boot file with GUI set to "Yes"

I am getting stuck here. I already changed my UUID and removel sleepenabler.kext

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7...0108001541.jpg

mm2311 01-12-2010 07:20 AM

Snow Leopard Up and Stable on X58

Everyone,

Thanks for all the valuable information. I got it all fixed up and bootable.
Runs like a dream on the i7, I may never go back to Windows again.

Here's what needed to be done:

1.) Took my bootable USB flash drive and cloned it with SuperDuper to my SATA hard drive.

2.) Updated my UUID in the com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist files in the Extra folder.

3.) Loaded the latest Chameleon, Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684.

4.) Removed UUID Plaform.kext, was causing an issue.

5.) Update com.apple.Boot.plist to boot my "disk1s2" hard drive because my Windows drive was trying to load first.

6.) Set GUI to "YES" so that I can select between Snow Leopard and Windows 7.

This forum is the SH^T! :)

jvolkman 01-12-2010 09:21 PM

Hi Guys (Gals),

Thanks for the wealth of information. I'm fairly far along getting SL running on my EVGA x58 LE (e757), but have a couple of questions:

I'm using the DSDT patch + LegacyHDA for audio. I haven't tested all the jacks yet, but one thing I noticed is that the main output (green jack) is labeled as "Internal Speaker" in the Sound part of System Preferences. Since the speaker isn't actually internal, is there a way to change this? (trivial issue)

I'm currently using RealtekR1000SL.kext for my ethernet. Striving to become as "vanilla" as possible, should there be a way to get my ethernet working with SL's built-in drivers? Without the kext, I see this error message when booting:

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Unknown hardware version ID (28000000)
AppleRTL8169Ethernet: probeHardware() failed

Is this a case where I need to hack an identifier in the DSDT?

Thanks!

philmrmac 01-17-2010 12:39 AM

First boot into Snow can't get past Blue screen

Guys I'm sorry but I can't figure this out for the life of me. At it now for 10 hours straight and getting weary.

The system boots fine into Leopard 10.5.2. Followed instructions to install SL into separate drive. Replaced extensions, chameleon install, etc. First boot into Snow appears to work 100% fine and then all I get is a blue screen and that's it. Tried GraphicsEnabler, netkas boot file, no resolution, 1920x1200, you name it.

The screen occasionally flashes and there is occasional disk activity.

MB = EVGA X58 SLI
Graphics = 7300gt 512mb.

In reality I don't want to use the 7300gt; have a GTX260 that I removed because I don't know how to configure the first Snow boot to work with that one.

What's the solution, especially if you can tell me how to do the 260!???

Thanks,
philmrmac

philmrmac 01-21-2010 09:04 PM

If anyone's thinking about answering my questions about the graphics go ahead and ignore it. Got the problem solved using GraphicsEnabler in Boot.plist.

Also need to know the correct solution to the NICs, I too have to use RTL1000 kext as the Apple one for RLT8169 gives errors at startup.

benualson 01-27-2010 04:02 PM

Ahci

Thank you all for this wonderful information, I am now running SL with no problems...

One thing: When I try to boot to my Windows 7 drive...i get a Blue Screen, and I know it is because of the AHCI setting for the hard drives....any suggestions for a fix, so i do not have to switch bios settings each time?

Thanks!

Ben

benualson 01-27-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benualson (Post 43934)
Thank you all for this wonderful information, I am now running SL with no problems...

One thing: When I try to boot to my Windows 7 drive...i get a Blue Screen, and I know it is because of the AHCI setting for the hard drives....any suggestions for a fix, so i do not have to switch bios settings each time?

Thanks!

Ben

Hrmm....

Now it doesn't even detect my windows Hard Drive...anyone know what might be going wrong? Neither chameleon nor my bios show the hard drive....

Thanks,

Ben

JaE-V 02-07-2010 04:50 AM

lol my red sata ports still aren't working! I've been considering doing a reinstall after i purchase some more ram...guide still looks great btw! hope all has been well, i was just checking in

puppetj 02-10-2010 07:43 PM

my board is a evga sli classified (e760) I got all working but the lan which is realtek GBE family controllers, what could I do to get this working?, thanks

msf5042 02-11-2010 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I added pcivendorid to legacyhda.kext to get rid of the following error message:

Quote:

Sound assertion "0 == pciVendorProductID" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 2682 goto Exit
it's attached

puppetj 02-11-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msf5042 (Post 44864)
I added pcivendorid to legacyhda.kext to get rid of the following error message:

it's attached

I don't have a problem with the sound, it the lan that's a issue

rehtom 02-13-2010 07:27 AM

I have a evga x58 757 sli le, have followed these instructions to the t and no ethernet. I've been reading and reading and am very confused as to what to do.

Right now I think that I need a new dsdt.aml with the lan setup...but have no read clue how to do that. I've got "dsdt patcher" and have run it, which generates the dsdt.dsl file, but now what? the iasl link in the guide no longer works.

I have a feeling that the dsdt.aml that comes with this guide doesn't work on this particular 757 sli le mb, but does on the other version of the board.

rehtom 02-13-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rehtom (Post 44955)
I have a evga x58 757 sli le, have followed these instructions to the t and no ethernet. I've been reading and reading and am very confused as to what to do.

Right now I think that I need a new dsdt.aml with the lan setup...but have no read clue how to do that. I've got "dsdt patcher" and have run it, which generates the dsdt.dsl file, but now what? the iasl link in the guide no longer works.

I have a feeling that the dsdt.aml that comes with this guide doesn't work on this particular 757 sli le mb, but does on the other version of the board.

And now it seems I'm wrong...got this to work! This hackintosh rules! Everything is working great. gtx 260, mb, ethernet. Haven't tried sound yet, but I bet it works.

used this: http://www.kexts.com/view/117-realtekr1000sl.kext_32-64k_____new_update_!!.html kext and kext helper to install. I don't I had been installing the kext but not rebuilding the cache. Thanks so much for this guide, I would never, ever have been able to do this without this guide. Now, onto final cut!

rehtom 02-15-2010 05:16 AM

has anyone tried chameleon rc4?

Supposedly using it I can get rid of platform and restart kexts. Don't really know what I'm doing all that much... :)

msf5042 02-15-2010 05:30 AM

i'm not getting cpu temp reads or memory processes listed in istat, is anyone else seeing this?

rehtom 02-15-2010 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msf5042 (Post 45049)
i'm not getting cpu temp reads or memory processes listed in istat, is anyone else seeing this?

I was looking for a stat app like that...I don't see CPU temp, only HD temp, but I do see processes if I click on the "mem" in the menubar to get the dropdown.

rehtom 02-15-2010 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rehtom (Post 45048)
has anyone tried chameleon rc4?

Supposedly using it I can get rid of platform and restart kexts. Don't really know what I'm doing all that much... :)

I have moved to AsereBLN's patched chameleon rc4 which can be found here:

http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=644

used 1.9 and the binary with the theme in it. All I had to to was copy that the new boot to /boot.

Then removed platforuuid.kext and the restart kext. rebuilt cache. Removed all memory settings from smbios.plist. Restarted. Everthing came back OK, except the platform uuid changed. That because the "Platform UUID under OS X is the System-ID hashed with SHA-1. If you boot in verbose mode, Chameleon prints out which UUID is being used (UUID from SMBIOS Table 1, SMUUID from smbios.plist, or the default builtin, which is static)." (Quote from the above thread.) I don't mind b/c this is a brand new box, but it might eff up itunes and time machine a little bit.

This lets me:
- remove a couple of kexts (platformuuid and restart)
- remove memory information from smbios.plist
- have the cpu reported properly. my i7 920 was reported as unknown before, and now it is a quad core intel zeon, which for some silly reason was bothering me.

so far so good.

msf5042 02-15-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rehtom (Post 45050)
I was looking for a stat app like that...I don't see CPU temp, only HD temp, but I do see processes if I click on the "mem" in the menubar to get the dropdown.

Are you using the smbios from this thread or did you make your own?

I was using a slightly different set of kexts until a few days ago and I got the cpu temps in istat so I am going to try to figure out which one was giving me that

rehtom 02-15-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msf5042 (Post 45059)
Are you using the smbios from this thread or did you make your own?

I was using a slightly different set of kexts until a few days ago and I got the cpu temps in istat so I am going to try to figure out which one was giving me that

I'm using the one from this thread, but I have removed all the memory associated keys.

rehtom 02-15-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rehtom (Post 45051)
I have moved to AsereBLN's patched chameleon rc4 which can be found here:

http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=644

used 1.9 and the binary with the theme in it. All I had to to was copy that the new boot to /boot.

Then removed platforuuid.kext and the restart kext. rebuilt cache. Removed all memory settings from smbios.plist. Restarted. Everthing came back OK, except the platform uuid changed. That because the "Platform UUID under OS X is the System-ID hashed with SHA-1. If you boot in verbose mode, Chameleon prints out which UUID is being used (UUID from SMBIOS Table 1, SMUUID from smbios.plist, or the default builtin, which is static)." (Quote from the above thread.) I don't mind b/c this is a brand new box, but it might eff up itunes and time machine a little bit.

This lets me:
- remove a couple of kexts (platformuuid and restart)
- remove memory information from smbios.plist
- have the cpu reported properly. my i7 920 was reported as unknown before, and now it is a quad core intel zeon, which for some silly reason was bothering me.

so far so good.

The only problem I'm having is the computer won't turn off after shutdown. Restart works fine, and the OS shuts down all right, but the power doesn't go off.

I think it has to do with this:

http://www.efixusers.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=106

but I haven't edited a dsdt.aml yet, so I don't know enough yet to actually make the edit. More reading required...sigh.

benualson 02-19-2010 03:03 PM

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by benualson (Post 43939)
Hrmm....

Now it doesn't even detect my windows Hard Drive...anyone know what might be going wrong? Neither chameleon nor my bios show the hard drive....

Thanks,

Ben

Problem fixed, was a hardware issue...I had bent sata power wires some how...just bent then back, now it has been running dreamly...

Thanks to this community a thousand times...

Ben

tadrith 02-20-2010 12:12 AM

First off, thank you immensely for making this guide. I had tried previous installs in the past without much success at all. I just upgraded my PC, and this guide worked great, once I finally stopped messing things up and screwing myself over. I figured I'd post this because everyone likes to be appreciated. :) Also, I know a lot of people look for successes from other people with the same hardware. I did not upgrade my computer specifically for OS X, but since I had a had a new board and chip, I thought I would try.

For those who are curious/have similar hardware and want to know:

- Core i7 920
- eVGA x58 LE (141-BL-E575)
- 6GB (3x2GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR-1600
- GeForce GTX 275 1GB
- WD Raptor 75GB
- WD 500GB
- Seagate 500GB
- SoundBlaster X-Fi

I used iATKOS v7 to install Leopard to the WD 500GB drive I had lying around, with one partition for the Snow Leopard image. After booting Leopard, I installed according to the guide, and everything worked out perfectly for the most part. Full graphics acceleration with just the EFI string, CPU/RAM properly recognized. Initially I tried using my USB drive, but iATKOS was very unhappy about that. Once Snow Leopard was up, I removed the WD 500GB from my system.

Various settings that might be applicable to others:

- Memory profile for my RAM is set to XMP Profile 1.
- HyperThreading is turned OFF.
- CPU is not overclocked in any way.
- Hard disks are set to AHCI (duh!), with no special RAID or anything.
- On-board audio is turned OFF. I have an X-Fi, which obviously doesn't work in OSX. I just decided to not worry about the audio. Might see about getting on-board audio working later, but I don't want to screw with my cables every time I switch OSes.
- ACPI HPET set to 64-bit mode and enabled.
- I did not use someone else's DSDT, and instead went through the process to create my own.

Caveats:

- For network support, use this kext. Works great.

- iATKOS v7 requires "cpus=1 busratio=20" to boot on this MB/chip combo.

- iATKOS v7 seems to not like the Seagate drive. When it's plugged in, I would get the dreaded "Still waiting for root device...", so I disconnected my target Snow Leopard drive until after Leopard was installed and then reconnected it and it worked fine. However, I noticed that iATKOS did not always do this; I had to boot from it to fix my com.apple.Boot.plist, and about 10% of the time it would actually work. Kalyway would boot fine, but wouldn't install.

- Chameleon 2 RC3 would not install properly using the GUI installer. Even after making sure the right partition was marked active using fdisk, it simply wasn't seeing a boot sector. I ended up doing a "manual" install of Chameleon 2 RC4, which worked. Just make sure you write to the right places when you install it (yes, I screwed it up and had to start over once).

- Occasionally I would get hangs during the various install processes because it was waiting on a response from a USB device. For the most part, I just unplugged any USB devices I didn't need for the install to get around it. I plugged them all back in once Snow Leopard was up and running, and after 10+ reboots, it hasn't happened at all.

Again, thanks for making this guide, it was a huge help.

JaE-V 02-28-2010 01:37 AM

you should tack on a screenshot of your bios or specify AHCI or IDE mode on the top controller setting and clear the UUID part up of this guide...just followed and got system to boot up fine but i can see how others would be confused

*and my red ports still dont work lol

JaE-V 03-04-2010 04:17 PM

Thanks for the screenshot

airwalk776 03-05-2010 03:14 PM

Bon

Hello everyone Long time no chat.

Just a little update on my system. Recently I sold my old macbook pro and baught a new macbook pro unibody and a mac mini and of course I have my monster i7 machine. After getting the mac mini I wanted to use it as a media center. So I got a qam tuner installed Plex and eyetv and use PS3 remote and works great. However one think I noticed what that Bonjour was not working correctly .

The solution that I use to get bonjour to work correctly on our motherboard is by way of IONetworkingFamily.kext I have updated the extra folder and uploaded megaupload since the file size is greater than the max now.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XT3LQY7Z

Whats the deal with sleep !!! any solutions no luck on my side yet

airwalk776 03-05-2010 03:20 PM

msf5042

For TEMPS in iSTAT try fakesmc v2 ir download the latest extra folder I posted today on megaupload. Mine works

airwalk776 03-05-2010 03:30 PM

JaE-V

The red sata ports are the jmicron controller did you try the ACHIPortInjector

and use JMicronATA.kext for the IDE ports

works for me. check the latest extra folder I posted today

Also make sure in the bios you have the J363 and J362 set to ACHI + IDE and IDE

otherwise you will never see the red ports even if you have the correct KEXT

airwalk776 03-05-2010 03:37 PM

did anyone update to the new BIOS that supports HPET

I attempted to and it works great but the Temp. goes up by 5%

anyone else see this ?

airwalk776 03-05-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benualson (Post 43939)
Hrmm....

Thanks,

Ben

Set bios to IDE again boot into windows and then search google on how to set up windows 7 registry for ACHI support. once you make the change reboot then go bios 1st then set it back to ACHI and should be able to boot windows 7 properly

JaE-V 03-08-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airwalk776 (Post 45909)
JaE-V

The red sata ports are the jmicron controller did you try the ACHIPortInjector

and use JMicronATA.kext for the IDE ports

works for me. check the latest extra folder I posted today

Also make sure in the bios you have the J363 and J362 set to ACHI + IDE and IDE

otherwise you will never see the red ports even if you have the correct KEXT

i'll look into this....i picked up a macbook as well :) looks like they got sleep working on the gigabyte x58 variant

JaE-V 03-09-2010 03:56 AM

***updated my bios and red ports started working*** lol good foot note to others that may run into this issue, i normally dont update my bios but i saw evga updated the sata controllers a few times so i went ahead with it

msf5042 03-10-2010 05:09 AM

I upgraded to the new bios. Works well.

With HPET I actually was able to patch my DSDT to add in vanilla speedstep (no NullCPUPowerManagement) and the LPC device to ioreg. I get no c-state or p-state errors after my patch, but my geekbench scores cut in half from 11000 to 5500 so I am still working to see if there's another route.

The board still doesn't sleep with the DSDT fix. My CPU fan doesn't go to sleep so I don't think our sleep issue is waking our board up but rather getting it to fully go to sleep.

I also was able to get my temps back, although I was already using fakesmc v2. I think I had to uninstall istat and reinstall it and then it showed me my memory processes and temps again. Something like that.

If I figure anything else out I will update the thread and upload my work.

JaE-V 03-10-2010 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msf5042 (Post 46090)
I upgraded to the new bios. Works well.

With HPET I actually was able to patch my DSDT to add in vanilla speedstep (no NullCPUPowerManagement) and the LPC device to ioreg. I get no c-state or p-state errors after my patch, but my geekbench scores cut in half from 11000 to 5500 so I am still working to see if there's another route.

The board still doesn't sleep with the DSDT fix. My CPU fan doesn't go to sleep so I don't think our sleep issue is waking our board up but rather getting it to fully go to sleep.

I also was able to get my temps back, although I was already using fakesmc v2. I think I had to uninstall istat and reinstall it and then it showed me my memory processes and temps again. Something like that.

If I figure anything else out I will update the thread and upload my work.

hey thanks for the info! i'm looking around for sleep fix as well....have you tried the new 10.6.2 sleepenabler kext?

msf5042 03-10-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaE-V (Post 46091)
hey thanks for the info! i'm looking around for sleep fix as well....have you tried the new 10.6.2 sleepenabler kext?

yes. not working.

msf5042 03-12-2010 04:22 AM

so five years later...

I GOT SLEEP WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hah that took forever. I will post instructions soon

msf5042 03-12-2010 02:55 PM

Take a nap

Getting sleep working:

NOTE: Part C here is what I think will do it for most of us.

First off, I am running this as a MacPro4,1. Here is my smbios (note the SMbiosversion). If you are not already running this, I suggest editing your smbios.plist and making sure your system works with it.

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>SMUUID</key>
    <string>A50D8F06-0E4F-3808-80EB-7B81AE274E95</string>
    <key>SMbiosdate</key>
    <string>2/29/2008</string>
    <key>SMbiosvendor</key>
    <string>Apple Inc.</string>
    <key>SMbiosversion</key>
    <string>MP41.88Z.0081.B04.0903051113</string>
    <key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>
    <string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
    <key>SMboardproduct</key>
    <string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
    <key>SMfamily</key>
    <string>MacPro</string>
    <key>SMmanufacturer</key>
    <string>Apple Inc.</string>
    <key>SMmemmanufacter</key>
    <string>OCZ</string>
    <key>SMmempart</key>
    <string>OCZ3P1600LV6GK</string>
    <key>SMmemserial_1</key>
    <string>000123-01234567-0</string>
    <key>SMmemserial_2</key>
    <string>000123-01234567-1</string>
    <key>SMmemserial_3</key>
    <string>000123-01234567-2</string>
    <key>SMmemserial_4</key>
    <string>000123-01234567-3</string>
    <key>SMmemserial_5</key>
    <string>000123-01234567-4</string>
    <key>SMmemserial_6</key>
    <string>000123-01234567-5</string>
    <key>SMmemspeed</key>
    <string>1600</string>
    <key>SMmemtype</key>
    <string>24</string>
    <key>SMproductname</key>
    <string>Mac Pro 4,1</string>
    <key>SMserial</key>
    <string>CK034KMHK5B</string>
    <key>SMsystemversion</key>
    <string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Bios Settings:
ACPI Suspend Type: S3
Run VGABios if S3 Resume: No
Soft-off by PWRButton: Instant off
Wake up by PCI Card: Disabled
USB KB Wakeup from S3: Enabled
Pwron after pwr failure: on (this is also enabled in system settings)

You need the 10.6.2 sleepenabler

1. GETTING YOUR BOARD TO GO TO SLEEP

If your computer fully sleeps (fans off, usb off, etc) then you can skip this. If not, here are some things to debug:

A. USB: go into system profiler and check to see if usb is marked as built in.

If they are not internal you will need to modify the USB devices on your DSDT. I did not have to do this, but what you have to do is add the DSM method to each of your usb/ehci devices. I plugged my iphone into my desktop and made sure that the desktop stopped charging it when it went to sleep.
You can read more about this here
It should look like this:
Code:

Device (USB0)
{
        Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
        Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)
        {
            If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
            {
                Return (0x02)
            }

Return (0x03)
        }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
        {
            Store (Package (0x02)
                {
                    "device-id",
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                        0x34, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
                    }
                }, Local0)
            DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
            Return (Local0)
        }

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
        {
            0x03,
            0x03
        })
}

B. SATA: In System Profiler, your SATA devices should be ICH10 (or ESB2 if you fixed it via DSDST to get rid of ACPIPortInjector/IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector). Obviously your JMICRON ports won't be but that's okay. I didn't have a problem here. If you do, see this guide.

C. Getting your computer to recognize S3 sleep

Go into your kernel.log and filter by "ACPI:". You should see something like:

Code:

"ACPI: System State [S0...."
This line should have S3 in it as follows:
Code:

ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
If it does not....
Make sure you have s3 enabled in bios, and then if you still get the message it's back to DSDT.
Go to the section where you find the following:
Code:

Name (_S0, Package (0x04)
    {
        0x00,
        0x00,
        0x00,
        0x00
    })

You should have similar sections for the other states (S1, S3, S4, S5). If your S3 section is formatted differently then the rest. For me, I had to do a global replace of "SS3" with "_S3" (or something like that). Here is what is should look like when you're done (make sure you do a global replace):

Code:

Name (_S0, Package (0x04)
    {
        Zero,
        Zero,
        Zero,
        Zero
    })
    Name (_S1, Package (0x04)
    {
        One,
        Zero,
        Zero,
        Zero
    })
    Name (_S3, Package (0x04)
    {
        0x05,
        Zero,
        Zero,
        Zero
    })
    Name (_S4, Package (0x04)
    {
        0x06,
        Zero,
        Zero,
        Zero
    })
    Name (_S5, Package (0x04)
    {
        0x07,
        Zero,
        Zero,
        Zero
    })

2. WAKING UP:

Here I just had to make sure that I had installed the qe_ci package for my 4870 from netkas here. Different people might have to take different routes here. I think that turning off Run VGABios in the bios was important for this step.

3. OTHER:
To wake from your usb keyboard/mouse do the following:
Each USB(UHCI)/EHCI device in DSDT has a _PWR section in it. Right now it probably has 0x00 as the second parameter in it. Change this to 0x03 in each one. This is taken out of the macpro4,1 dsdt and it works for me. An example working USB section would be:
Code:

Device (USB0)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
                Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
                    {
                        Return (0x02)
                    }

Return (0x03)
                }

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
                {
                    0x03,
                    0x03
                })
            }

4. ISSUES

Theres a continuous error in console that reads:
Code:

FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
I haven't found a good solution to this yet. Disable firewire if it bugs you.

airwalk776 03-12-2010 04:37 PM

msf5042

This is great work man. I will try these steps tonight an report back.

is your system OC'd ?

When you state ". USB: go into system profiler and check to see if usb is marked as internal. " I assume you mean "Built-In"

I have two EVGA 9800 GTX + (lets see how that goes)

thanks again for you hard work.

Naren

msf5042 03-12-2010 05:32 PM

It's not oc'd right now, I set it to factory setting to make sure that didn't mess me up while I was trying to get this down

airwalk776 03-12-2010 07:12 PM

msf5042

It seems may things have changed since RC4 was released. can you post your extra folder and DSDT.aml or dsl file

thanks

msf5042 03-12-2010 10:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, I forgot to mention that you need the 10.6.2 sleepenabler.kext...
My boot file is 315kb, I think it chameleon but could be pc efi...my extra folders too large, heres my dsdt