InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Leopard 10.5 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   How Can I burn The MAC OS X distro to USB flash memory? (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=1448)

nexusmac 10-22-2008 04:01 PM

ohh no , I was writing the message then I looked the PC and I saw that the MAC osx started:)

yes it is working on USB stick , I didnt do anything.

just use USB stcik:) I am shocked;)

I am lookin drivers which one is recognized

nexusmac 10-22-2008 04:05 PM

hey guys it is working perfect even faster than SATA HDD:)

yeah i cant believe that!!!!!! someone says what is happening!
it is just kingston USB memory 4GB and restoring from DMG took 2 hours but running OSX takes seconds!!!!!

nexusmac 10-22-2008 04:07 PM

ok sorry there is a mistake:)

nfoav8or 10-22-2008 07:54 PM

what mistake?

I might add that a 4GB flash disk is barely enough room to hold an OS such as OS X.

I use an 8GB stick to place my installer DVDs on so I can mess with them to make sure they will install the proper things for me.

dvkch 10-23-2008 11:20 AM

I finaly tried to do so with the UMS partition of my Zen Vision M, set to 8GB. It boots (with Chameleon), but i either have a "still waiting for root device" or the system freeze (and my Zen shows that's it's no longer connected). What happens ?

PS : i had to disable legacy usb in my BIOS to have USB working on OSX. But to boot on my usb disk i've enabled it.

milanca 10-23-2008 11:43 AM

What distro did your place on your USB ?
There are no kexts for your chipset one the USB, you have to inject them first so the installer can see your internat Sata/Ide drives.

naquaada 10-24-2008 10:42 PM

I put Leo4All on the USB stick, it works until I change something in the Extensions. How can I recreate the Extensions.mkext file? kextcacche -k /System/Library/Extensions won't work, even if I boot in single user mode and set the stick to read/write mode. How can I access full read/write access during the normal boot process? Is theresome thing like a startup-sequence or an autoexec.bat?

nfoav8or 10-25-2008 03:25 AM

when you boot with "-s" you need o mount the drive using
Code:

/sbin/mount -uw /
have you done this?

EDIT: if you are booting off of a USB stick, why recreate the .mkext? just rm it and then reboot so it has to load everything and recreate it then.

naquaada 10-25-2008 03:02 PM

If I use only -uw the drive is still not writeable. I tried -rw and -ruw. What are the differences?

naquaada 10-27-2008 11:03 PM

So, I created a well looking Leo4All v3 image for USB. This installation image is older but in my opinion Leo4All v3 is the best image I ever had (of more than 25 since Tiger). If someone is interested, I have uploaded it to rapidshare, but without the main Leopard-10.5.2 install package, this must be copied from DVD. So it needs so 'only' about 980 MB and is faster to download.

Specs: Booting time (after Darwin counter timeout till language selection screen): 41 secs, installation time: 8:30 mins after the driver selection. This is on an Athlon 64 4000+, faster computers may be quicker because the files can be faster decompressed.

I used for this an 8 GB USB stick and created a partition of 4,25 GB, the resulting partition will be 4,38 GB (4.697.620.480 bytes) so that it still fits on a DVD (4.698.669.056 bytes). The other partition I use for Updates and software which I need for the installation. I optimized the image a bit, so you can access the usual folders (System, Library, Applications, Installation etc.) without tricks, but the image is not messed up, you only have two icons in the main window. The most important thing is that the image is defragmented. The main installation package was messed all over the disk, so I deleted it and cleaned the drive with iDefrag. Now the most important files, especcially Kernel and Extensions, are directly at the beginning. I made it bootable with Cameleon.

To create a bootable USB-Stick from it, create also on an stick with 8GB or more two partitions, the first must be 4,25 GB. Check the boot sector type for MBR mode. Now restore the image on the first partition, the image is already checked for restoring. The procedure will take about 1,5 hours. After this is successfully finished, insert the Leo4All installation DVD, open it an press Alt+Shift+G on a Windows keyboard or Command+Shift+G on an Mac keyboard. Now enter this path: System/Installation/Packages and press Return. Now search for the package Leopard-10.5.2.pkg. Copy it best first from DVD to your harddisk and then from harddisk to the USB stick. in the USB stick you don't need use use the path entry, you can access the files directly using the 'Leo4All' folder in the image. After this make the stick bootable with Chameleon. Note: If you have only a 4GB stick the space maybe not enough. So you have to delete some (for you) unneccessary languages to get more space.

Even if you don't want to use the Leo4All image you can use this guide to create an bootable installation stick with your own preferred OSx86 version. An installation image on USB is a great thing, no long waiting times, also the applications will be started much faster. And you can use it on the new netbooks which have no inbuilt DVD-ROM anymore.