InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

JShubert683 09-12-2009 05:46 PM

Ok so you may get startup error while running x64 most of the time, and i really dont see the benefit of running full x64 all the time, so i just put the arch-i386 command in my boot.plist and that seemed to solve my lock ups during boot if i didnt do -f -F all the dang time....

vipuh 09-12-2009 07:06 PM

i've got snow leopard installed using the same motherboard...i've even got sound working by manually installing the ALC883 kext with the Kext Utility.

i have a lot of experience with windows pc's so please excuse me but i've got a some questions and i've been searching for a while but cant seem to figure this stuff out...

1. what exactly does the /Extra/Extensions folder do? i'm assuming that netkas boot file tells it to look here at boot up and install the files inside of it? because i look in /System/Library/Extensions and they aren't there after booting up...do i need to manually install these like the ALC883 kext??

2. every now and then i am getting a random error while doing normal things like browsing sites in safari or browsing through finder windows.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2n1gvf4.jpg

how can i troubleshoot this better???? i'm trying to determine if there are logs or something i can look at to give me more info about the error. i figured i'd give it a shot booting into 32 bit mode so i did -v -x32 at bootup and everything seems fine so far.

the only thing i can think that i didn't do well was editing smbios.plist.....i'm not quite sure if this is some vital hardware profile or is it just something for "display purposes". i'm using two hard drives one has leopard and other has snow leopard so i'm assuming the UUID and whatnot is irrelevant since i boot directly to the drive i want to use.

any help is much appreciated. :D

bzen 09-12-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamriel (Post 34313)
Thanks for your response. So I went to BIOS and saw that i already had "Legacy USB storage detect" enabled. A picture of my BIOS is attached below. I've found no solution yet...

What BIOS Version looks different then mine as no secondary IDE option and also the SATA is not set to Enhanced.

Can you see USB in BIOS boot options

bzen 09-12-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipuh (Post 34562)
i've got snow leopard installed using the same motherboard...i've even got sound working by manually installing the ALC883 kext with the Kext Utility.

i have a lot of experience with windows pc's so please excuse me but i've got a some questions and i've been searching for a while but cant seem to figure this stuff out...

1. what exactly does the /Extra/Extensions folder do? i'm assuming that netkas boot file tells it to look here at boot up and install the files inside of it? because i look in /System/Library/Extensions and they aren't there after booting up...do i need to manually install these like the ALC883 kext??

2. every now and then i am getting a random error while doing normal things like browsing sites in safari or browsing through finder windows.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2n1gvf4.jpg

how can i troubleshoot this better???? i'm trying to determine if there are logs or something i can look at to give me more info about the error. i figured i'd give it a shot booting into 32 bit mode so i did -v -x32 at bootup and everything seems fine so far.

the only thing i can think that i didn't do well was editing smbios.plist.....i'm not quite sure if this is some vital hardware profile or is it just something for "display purposes". i'm using two hard drives one has leopard and other has snow leopard so i'm assuming the UUID and whatnot is irrelevant since i boot directly to the drive i want to use.

any help is much appreciated. :D

Had similar issuses until added the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and able now to run in 64 bit kernel with no issues (except 2 that I am working on see post below).
HTML Code:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/smb-share-issues-ntfs-write-support-10-6-t4054/

bzen 09-12-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L8nitehackin (Post 34359)
I can report successful update to 10.6.1 as well... but still no audio.

bzen... you report no issues with legacy883? I tried that kext, ( put in extensions, rebuild mkext file, repaired permissions ), but still no audio. I have no device to choose from within sound properties. I had no issues with sound on 10.5.6 or 10.5.8.. and still don't as I use a removeable hard drive for my OS's. ( W7, XP and OS X's pre SL )

Can you elaborate on how you implemented that kext with success? Do I need to remove an AppleHDA kext to avoid conficts and properly install? From what I'm starting to get into, for some reason I think I have something pointing to a wrong address where my built in audio is on my bus? But I'm still an infant in this field and learning.. thx

I was able to just use the new legacy883.kext in extra/extensions. Although first time did not take. However when cloned to new drive started working. So must have to rebuild mkext or something like that. Try OSX86 Tools and rebuild and Chameleon 2 RC3

JShubert683 09-12-2009 09:24 PM

dont use OSX86 tools on a retail install of SL... I can't stress that enough.. Ok the simplest way to get everything work correctly is this. I can conclude everything is working cause I just finished my final FRESH install with no issue to report, and yes I even installed in x64 mode. Heres the deal got an external hd? If you do well I can help you if you don't well I dont know what to say lol. Anyway format the external hd flash or usb drive "mbr" whatever you want so long as it boots. once thats installed run the new rc3 installer on the drive so it installs to the ROOT of the hd not the EFI partition thats why i partitioned it as mbr, once installed copy the kexts from the first thread into the extra/extensions folder, I used all the kexts that would NORMALLY be used during NORMAL boot not the USB folder, another thing use netkas NEWEST fakesmc v.2 now restore the dvd to the drive. if you want to use it on an mbr partition search youll yield a bunch of results i just dont want to go into that now. Finally reboot boot of the drive -v to make sure everything is loading and install. once installed install chameleon rc3 to the drive copy kexts to the extra folder and run the kext script to rebuild extensions and alas you should have working sound... This works with either sound kexts. updated to 10.6.1 before i typed this no errors yet

joel_ezekiel 09-13-2009 03:03 PM

First thing i want to say is, thank's to all that have contributed to this thread.

Second thing i thought i might post how i set it all up to help others.

So i have a rev.2 board and i brought a http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=2 to replace the on board network, cost me AU$18 from the local shop its all they had and it had a realtek chip so i brought it, works 100% OOB. Best thing i could of ever done and i recommend you to do the same.

After i did that i install Leopard retail onto the same disk i wanted Snow, but i later just did a clone of that disk onto my usb drives partition and used boot 123 to boot it. I installed Snow following this guide and hit an issue where chameleon wouldn't install, i found a pkg of RC3 and just followed the guide using that instead and it worked fine, im also sticking with the 32bit kernel as vmware wont work otherwise. I also updated to 10.6.1 and not one problem, it even sleeps/wakes automatically. So those are the two minor issues i had and if anyone has the same just do what i did and it should work great.

Now i have one slight problem someone might be able to help me with, i installed synergykm beta 7, it works great but if i reboot the pc it doesn't start up automatically is there some way i can do this? Also with linux when i was using synergy for a keyboard/mouse i would have it automatically login but then lock the screen, so its loged in but still cant be accessed without my password, this is so synergy can load and i can then use the keyboard/mouse from another computer. Is there some way i can do this? If anyone's had any experience with synergy your help would be appreciated, and if you haven't had any experience with synergy, its the best way to share a mouse/kb between computers!

Anyway, thanks a lot for the great guide.

BlaSTiWi 09-13-2009 09:00 PM

Quick question ... not very clear o the OP guide ... do we replace or merge the content of "Extensions" folder created by Chameleon with the OP pkg on both the USB install & the main SL HD?

Also, how do we do this using the hidden EFI way?

Tkx much in adv.!

Voyn1x 09-13-2009 09:20 PM

You replace the contents.

The EFI partition method is explained in my old guide for Leopard. Scroll down to Step 6 - just make sure you replace the 'boot' file with PC_EFI_v10. :)

BlaSTiWi 09-13-2009 09:28 PM

Ahhh OK ... Tkx Voyn1x!

I actually based my Leopard on your guide ... Didn't know I can do the same w/ SL w/ minor adjustment.

Tkx so much to all who took time & created the great guides!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voyn1x (Post 34748)
You replace the contents.

The EFI partition method is explained in my old guide for Leopard. Scroll down to Step 6 - just make sure you replace the 'boot' file with PC_EFI_v10. :)