InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

JShubert683 09-12-2009 05:46 PM

Ok so you may get startup error while running x64 most of the time, and i really dont see the benefit of running full x64 all the time, so i just put the arch-i386 command in my boot.plist and that seemed to solve my lock ups during boot if i didnt do -f -F all the dang time....

vipuh 09-12-2009 07:06 PM

i've got snow leopard installed using the same motherboard...i've even got sound working by manually installing the ALC883 kext with the Kext Utility.

i have a lot of experience with windows pc's so please excuse me but i've got a some questions and i've been searching for a while but cant seem to figure this stuff out...

1. what exactly does the /Extra/Extensions folder do? i'm assuming that netkas boot file tells it to look here at boot up and install the files inside of it? because i look in /System/Library/Extensions and they aren't there after booting up...do i need to manually install these like the ALC883 kext??

2. every now and then i am getting a random error while doing normal things like browsing sites in safari or browsing through finder windows.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2n1gvf4.jpg

how can i troubleshoot this better???? i'm trying to determine if there are logs or something i can look at to give me more info about the error. i figured i'd give it a shot booting into 32 bit mode so i did -v -x32 at bootup and everything seems fine so far.

the only thing i can think that i didn't do well was editing smbios.plist.....i'm not quite sure if this is some vital hardware profile or is it just something for "display purposes". i'm using two hard drives one has leopard and other has snow leopard so i'm assuming the UUID and whatnot is irrelevant since i boot directly to the drive i want to use.

any help is much appreciated. :D

bzen 09-12-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamriel (Post 34313)
Thanks for your response. So I went to BIOS and saw that i already had "Legacy USB storage detect" enabled. A picture of my BIOS is attached below. I've found no solution yet...

What BIOS Version looks different then mine as no secondary IDE option and also the SATA is not set to Enhanced.

Can you see USB in BIOS boot options

bzen 09-12-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipuh (Post 34562)
i've got snow leopard installed using the same motherboard...i've even got sound working by manually installing the ALC883 kext with the Kext Utility.

i have a lot of experience with windows pc's so please excuse me but i've got a some questions and i've been searching for a while but cant seem to figure this stuff out...

1. what exactly does the /Extra/Extensions folder do? i'm assuming that netkas boot file tells it to look here at boot up and install the files inside of it? because i look in /System/Library/Extensions and they aren't there after booting up...do i need to manually install these like the ALC883 kext??

2. every now and then i am getting a random error while doing normal things like browsing sites in safari or browsing through finder windows.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2n1gvf4.jpg

how can i troubleshoot this better???? i'm trying to determine if there are logs or something i can look at to give me more info about the error. i figured i'd give it a shot booting into 32 bit mode so i did -v -x32 at bootup and everything seems fine so far.

the only thing i can think that i didn't do well was editing smbios.plist.....i'm not quite sure if this is some vital hardware profile or is it just something for "display purposes". i'm using two hard drives one has leopard and other has snow leopard so i'm assuming the UUID and whatnot is irrelevant since i boot directly to the drive i want to use.

any help is much appreciated. :D

Had similar issuses until added the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and able now to run in 64 bit kernel with no issues (except 2 that I am working on see post below).
HTML Code:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/smb-share-issues-ntfs-write-support-10-6-t4054/

bzen 09-12-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L8nitehackin (Post 34359)
I can report successful update to 10.6.1 as well... but still no audio.

bzen... you report no issues with legacy883? I tried that kext, ( put in extensions, rebuild mkext file, repaired permissions ), but still no audio. I have no device to choose from within sound properties. I had no issues with sound on 10.5.6 or 10.5.8.. and still don't as I use a removeable hard drive for my OS's. ( W7, XP and OS X's pre SL )

Can you elaborate on how you implemented that kext with success? Do I need to remove an AppleHDA kext to avoid conficts and properly install? From what I'm starting to get into, for some reason I think I have something pointing to a wrong address where my built in audio is on my bus? But I'm still an infant in this field and learning.. thx

I was able to just use the new legacy883.kext in extra/extensions. Although first time did not take. However when cloned to new drive started working. So must have to rebuild mkext or something like that. Try OSX86 Tools and rebuild and Chameleon 2 RC3

JShubert683 09-12-2009 09:24 PM

dont use OSX86 tools on a retail install of SL... I can't stress that enough.. Ok the simplest way to get everything work correctly is this. I can conclude everything is working cause I just finished my final FRESH install with no issue to report, and yes I even installed in x64 mode. Heres the deal got an external hd? If you do well I can help you if you don't well I dont know what to say lol. Anyway format the external hd flash or usb drive "mbr" whatever you want so long as it boots. once thats installed run the new rc3 installer on the drive so it installs to the ROOT of the hd not the EFI partition thats why i partitioned it as mbr, once installed copy the kexts from the first thread into the extra/extensions folder, I used all the kexts that would NORMALLY be used during NORMAL boot not the USB folder, another thing use netkas NEWEST fakesmc v.2 now restore the dvd to the drive. if you want to use it on an mbr partition search youll yield a bunch of results i just dont want to go into that now. Finally reboot boot of the drive -v to make sure everything is loading and install. once installed install chameleon rc3 to the drive copy kexts to the extra folder and run the kext script to rebuild extensions and alas you should have working sound... This works with either sound kexts. updated to 10.6.1 before i typed this no errors yet

joel_ezekiel 09-13-2009 03:03 PM

First thing i want to say is, thank's to all that have contributed to this thread.

Second thing i thought i might post how i set it all up to help others.

So i have a rev.2 board and i brought a http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=2 to replace the on board network, cost me AU$18 from the local shop its all they had and it had a realtek chip so i brought it, works 100% OOB. Best thing i could of ever done and i recommend you to do the same.

After i did that i install Leopard retail onto the same disk i wanted Snow, but i later just did a clone of that disk onto my usb drives partition and used boot 123 to boot it. I installed Snow following this guide and hit an issue where chameleon wouldn't install, i found a pkg of RC3 and just followed the guide using that instead and it worked fine, im also sticking with the 32bit kernel as vmware wont work otherwise. I also updated to 10.6.1 and not one problem, it even sleeps/wakes automatically. So those are the two minor issues i had and if anyone has the same just do what i did and it should work great.

Now i have one slight problem someone might be able to help me with, i installed synergykm beta 7, it works great but if i reboot the pc it doesn't start up automatically is there some way i can do this? Also with linux when i was using synergy for a keyboard/mouse i would have it automatically login but then lock the screen, so its loged in but still cant be accessed without my password, this is so synergy can load and i can then use the keyboard/mouse from another computer. Is there some way i can do this? If anyone's had any experience with synergy your help would be appreciated, and if you haven't had any experience with synergy, its the best way to share a mouse/kb between computers!

Anyway, thanks a lot for the great guide.

BlaSTiWi 09-13-2009 09:00 PM

Quick question ... not very clear o the OP guide ... do we replace or merge the content of "Extensions" folder created by Chameleon with the OP pkg on both the USB install & the main SL HD?

Also, how do we do this using the hidden EFI way?

Tkx much in adv.!

Voyn1x 09-13-2009 09:20 PM

You replace the contents.

The EFI partition method is explained in my old guide for Leopard. Scroll down to Step 6 - just make sure you replace the 'boot' file with PC_EFI_v10. :)

BlaSTiWi 09-13-2009 09:28 PM

Ahhh OK ... Tkx Voyn1x!

I actually based my Leopard on your guide ... Didn't know I can do the same w/ SL w/ minor adjustment.

Tkx so much to all who took time & created the great guides!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voyn1x (Post 34748)
You replace the contents.

The EFI partition method is explained in my old guide for Leopard. Scroll down to Step 6 - just make sure you replace the 'boot' file with PC_EFI_v10. :)

BlaSTiWi 09-13-2009 10:29 PM

Another question ...

I got SL to install on another SATA HD, then when I bring back Leopard to install Chameleon the installer stuck at "Installing Core (writing package receipt)" screen & never complete ... the only way out is to force quit the installer.

I've done it on 2 different HDs & either standard or EFI way.

Did I do something wrong?

Tkx!

drossxyu 09-14-2009 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzen (Post 34572)
I was able to just use the new legacy883.kext in extra/extensions. Although first time did not take. However when cloned to new drive started working. So must have to rebuild mkext or something like that. Try OSX86 Tools and rebuild and Chameleon 2 RC3

What function in OSX86 Tools would "rebuild" my mkexts. I'm still having trouble getting my audio to work. I installed the legacy883.kext using kext utility and there still isn't an audio device showing up in the sound preferences.

I also need a ethernet solution as I have a rev. 2 board. The tp-link tg-3269 was recommended in this thread, but it doesn't seem to be available in any of the US based sites/stores. Is there an alternative NIC that works just as well? I've also though about buying one of these apple usb ethernet adapters.

joel_ezekiel 09-14-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi (Post 34756)
Another question ...

I got SL to install on another SATA HD, then when I bring back Leopard to install Chameleon the installer stuck at "Installing Core (writing package receipt)" screen & never complete ... the only way out is to force quit the installer.

I've done it on 2 different HDs & either standard or EFI way.

Did I do something wrong?

Tkx!

As i said in my post chameleon wouldn't install, this is what happened. Do a quick search for a pkg of the RC3 of chameleon and use that instead, all the other steps are the same.

BlaSTiWi 09-14-2009 01:45 PM

Turned out it seems to be related to Leopard 10.5.8 I'm using (dunno why) ... When I did it w/ Leopard 10.5.7 (AiTKOS v7 based) all went thru fine w/ all RC1, 2 or 3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joel_ezekiel (Post 34813)
As i said in my post chameleon wouldn't install, this is what happened. Do a quick search for a pkg of the RC3 of chameleon and use that instead, all the other steps are the same.

L8nitehackin 09-16-2009 03:24 AM

give up on audio..

Well, I still don't seem to be any closer to getting sound from my mobo. I've completely done a fresh install using the latest Chameleon to SL, and again... everything works flawlesssly, but no freakin' sound options to choose from?!

I removed my other Sound Blaster card just to see if that was causing a conflict, no difference. ( use that when I have my XP hard drive in )

As soon as I plug in my usb speakers, SL recognizes them and plays just fine. And when I put my other hard drive in with just Leopard installed, it works fine with my mobo sound.

Anyway.. may just go purchase an external usb setup with 5.1 to use with Snow Lep and XP.

Argggh... this one has me totally baffled.

drossxyu 09-16-2009 06:20 PM

For those of you that are still having trouble getting the sound to work I was able to get it to work by doing the following as provided by djnitehawk on this thread (check out his awesome automation script while you're at it):

1. get rid of all other sound kexts that u have added, from both /E/E and /S/L/E

2. download the latest voodoohda and extract it...

3. copy voodoohda.kext to /S/L/E and run the following commands in terminal to fix repair permissions and rebuid mkext caches...

• sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions
  • sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions
  • sudo diskutil repairpermissions /volumes/NAMEOFSNOWVOLUME
  • sudo touch /system/library/extensions

4. install the voodoohda pref pane by double-clicking on it...

5. reboot and pray to the hackintosh gods :-)

I have a G31M-ES2L Rev.2. I was never able to get the legacy883.kext to work, nor the other two separate sound .kexts. Since I have the Rev. 2 the ethernet port never worked either so I decided to purchase the apple usb ethernet adaptor. It says it's supposed to be for the macbook air only but it works fine. For some reason it didn't work right off the bat. I had to go into the network control panel to 'activate' it. I'm dual booting w\ windows 7 so luckily there is a windows driver for this device here, although I have yet to test it.

MonkeyDLuffy 09-16-2009 09:41 PM

Hi,

I'll just be a little bit off topic here but your answers are going to be important. I hope it is ok.

Do you experience VERY SLOW boot from USB in G31m-ES2L rev 1.x?

I boot from Snow Leopard USB installer and it takes 12 minutes to see the 1st installer screen. Using the same external hard drive, it boots into my laptop in only 2 minutes.

Booting from DVD is way faster than booting from USB.

This is my second motherboard. I had it replaced thinking that the slow boot is caused by a faulty mobo. Now that I got a new, sealed mobo, it has the exact same problem. My older Gigabyte P35-DS3L mobo does not have this problem.

I'm on F9i bios. Tried other non beta bios and it is still slow.

Btw, thanks for this guide. It is really awesome.

I'm enjoying Snow Leopard now!

Bartounet 09-16-2009 09:59 PM

Hi :)

First thanks for this guide, almost everything works fine for me, except that i have a kernel panic each time i try to boot with -x32 flag, but i think it is not a problem if everything is fine in 64 bits mode, is it ?

There is something else, SL is installed on a USB hard drive, i have a sata too with win7 partition in first and a hfs partition which i want be used as chameleon boot partition, please, somebody can help me to do that. (actually i choose usb hd in boot menu to launch a chameleon rc2 which seem working fine actually)

thanks for all and i hope my english is good

Voyn1x 09-17-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy (Post 35083)
Hi,

I'll just be a little bit off topic here but your answers are going to be important. I hope it is ok.

Do you experience VERY SLOW boot from USB in G31m-ES2L rev 1.x?

I boot from Snow Leopard USB installer and it takes 12 minutes to see the 1st installer screen. Using the same external hard drive, it boots into my laptop in only 2 minutes.

Booting from DVD is way faster than booting from USB.

This is my second motherboard. I had it replaced thinking that the slow boot is caused by a faulty mobo. Now that I got a new, sealed mobo, it has the exact same problem. My older Gigabyte P35-DS3L mobo does not have this problem.

I'm on F9i bios. Tried other non beta bios and it is still slow.

Btw, thanks for this guide. It is really awesome.

I'm enjoying Snow Leopard now!

Odd, I've got a rev 1.x board and mine boots the usb stick installer within a couple of mins - much quicker than a DVD.

Where are you plugging in the usb stick? If it's through an Apple keyboard for instance, it will only read at USB 1.0 speeds. My board is using the original bios shipped with it (F7).

Also dsdt is bios and mobo specific - you may find the dsdt in this guide is for a different bios version. Imho you should always make your own DSDT than use someone elses.

MonkeyDLuffy 09-17-2009 05:24 PM

Yeah, it is really weird. Hmmm, I'm just plugging it at the back USB ports. I tried switching ports and I they are the same. I just discovered something new (just now), when I disable USB 2.0 in BIOS, the slow boot speeds are identical with it Enabled. I disabled USB 2.0 in my other gigabyte motherboard (not G31m-eS2L) and now it is identical with the slow boot speed as my G31m-ES2L Enabled. I'm guessing that USB 2.0 is not working properly in the boot process.

However, If I'm inside the OSX (installed in the USB), its super fast. It's just the boot process.

BTW, thanks for confirming that you're not having this problem. I have to talk to Gigabyte regarding this issue.

EDIT:

Oh I forgot to mention that it is not DSDT related. I also have an external Windows 7 and XP USB installers. They all boot slow compared to a cd or dvd.

someguy360 09-18-2009 09:25 AM

Anyone else getting random kernel panics.

It would say that the app has caused the kernel panic (usually happens after half an hour of use or so)

e.g pages, adium, mail etc etc.

It only happens when booted with -x32 (i would use -x64 but then I have no sound)

Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

sk1nhd33t 09-20-2009 01:09 PM

updated the guide to include automatic sleep fix (link at page 1) and netkas PC EFI 10.3 (pls get it at netkas blog)..

finally automatic time sleep, tested it a few times and so far so good. Thanks zeddys for sharing the fix :rolleyes: it's been a long wait but on my end automatic sleep cease to function from 10.5.7-10.6.1 until today..

someguy360 09-21-2009 02:54 AM

Can anyone help me?

I have this little issue.

On the boot.plist file on my USB I have the -x32 flag set and when I boot into OS X via the USB it works fine.

But with the charmeleon installed on my HDD it always boots into the 64 bit kernal. I have tried editing the boot.plist file on my HDD and using the -x32 flag before booting into OS X and neither work.

Anyone know why this is happening?

ariadri 09-21-2009 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someguy360 (Post 35405)
Can anyone help me?

I have this little issue.

On the boot.plist file on my USB I have the -x32 flag set and when I boot into OS X via the USB it works fine.

But with the charmeleon installed on my HDD it always boots into the 64 bit kernal. I have tried editing the boot.plist file on my HDD and using the -x32 flag before booting into OS X and neither work.

Anyone know why this is happening?

use
arch=i386 on boot or in your boot.plist

sk1nhd33t 09-21-2009 05:17 AM

to boot in 32bit kernel

Chameleon = arch=i386
PC EFI = -x32
new PC EFI v10.3 = -x32 or arch=i386, both of them work :)

sisiphus 09-21-2009 07:59 AM

another board

hi, i have Leopard10.5.7 (iatkos) installed in one partition of one drive (i have 3 sata hdd) and i want to upgrade to Snow Leopard and install on other hdd...iīve been trying this for almost 4 days with no success. Basically i followed the 2 most common procedures:
OSInstall.mpkg and USB flashdrive methods and nothing but KP's.
Because i donīt have at this moment an 8 gb usb flashdrive i substituted it with other partition on the same target drive of Snow...KP's allover as expected, then i tried using an external hdd as a substitute of the flashdrive...more KP's.
So i'm wondering if your guide is specifically for your board? Is your dsdt specifically for your board?
Don't you think the external hdd should function as a usb flashdrive?
I have an intel board DP965LT (Q8200, 4 gb of ddr2 800 MHZ and a 9600 gt).
Leopard is full functional.
I really would like to know this, if possible, before i buy an 8 gb thumbdrive .
thanks a lot.

ariadri 09-21-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sisiphus (Post 35427)
hi, i have Leopard10.5.7 (iatkos) installed in one partition of one drive (i have 3 sata hdd) and i want to upgrade to Snow Leopard and install on other hdd...iīve been trying this for almost 4 days with no success. Basically i followed the 2 most common procedures:
OSInstall.mpkg and USB flashdrive methods and nothing but KP's.
Because i donīt have at this moment an 8 gb usb flashdrive i substituted it with other partition on the same target drive of Snow...KP's allover as expected, then i tried using an external hdd as a substitute of the flashdrive...more KP's.
So i'm wondering if your guide is specifically for your board? Is your dsdt specifically for your board?
Don't you think the external hdd should function as a usb flashdrive?
I have an intel board DP965LT (Q8200, 4 gb of ddr2 800 MHZ and a 9600 gt).
Leopard is full functional.
I really would like to know this, if possible, before i buy an 8 gb thumbdrive .
thanks a lot.

well in order to help you, pictures might be very helpful

Stoerte 09-21-2009 05:27 PM

Chameleon HD installation problem

Hi,

i could follow the instructions from sk1nhd33t till the point "Back on Leopard". The installation of SL went well. So after that, I attached my "new" SL-SATA-harddrive to my MBP (with Leopard on it) with an USB-Adapter to install Chameleon. But everytime i try to install Chameleon, the installation-process is stalling. I think the "Core" is installed correctly but the installer can't write the receipts. I get this protocoll error:
Code:

Sep 21 18:15:02 f048144113 runner[387]: Extracting BOM from "/Users/wrenger/Downloads/snow/Chameleon:EFI/Chameleon-2-1.0-r431.pkg" to "/Volumes/Hackintosh/Library/Receipts/boms/org.chameleon.core.bom"
I have no idea what's going wrong, because i could write chameleon from my MBP to the thumb drive.

My hardware:

1. MBP 13 (still Leopard on it)
2. PC with G31M-ES2L, E5200, 4GB.....

Hope someone can help.

Greets

sk1nhd33t 09-21-2009 06:05 PM

@Stoerte

install it manually instead or google dr. hurt's RC3.pkg and use it together with netkas new PC EFI v10.3.

edit:

here's a very easy to follow guide to manually install Chameleon , just replace PC EFI boot file on step 8.

dowload the binaries here: RC1

Stoerte 09-21-2009 07:48 PM

thx a lot, i'll try it. :D

Stoerte 09-21-2009 11:14 PM

Onboard-graphic

Thanks again. It worked. My Hackintosh is running and updated (10.6.1). Onboard network-card is working. The only negative point is the onboard-graphic-(card). Is there any kext or EFI-String for it?

deanjuanbanks 09-22-2009 01:49 AM

Help with Sound

Hello,
I am trying to get my sound work on my hackintosh.
I have a ES2L board and everything is working except the sound (this board is rev1.1)

I used lifehackers guide(http://lifehacker.com/5360150/instal...cking-required)

Should I have not installed this way?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Xenomorph 09-22-2009 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk1nhd33t (Post 35459)
@Stoerte

install it manually instead or google dr. hurt's RC3.pkg and use it together with netkas new PC EFI v10.3.

edit:

here's a very easy to follow guide to manually install Chameleon , just replace PC EFI boot file on step 8.

dowload the binaries here: RC1

Why do people keep linking to RC1? RC2 and RC3 have been released. I believe I've been using RC3. Is there something RC1 does better?

ariadri 09-22-2009 06:09 AM

netkas stated that rc1 is more compatible to older motherboards, so chances are you're safer with rc1

sk1nhd33t 09-22-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenomorph (Post 35515)
Why do people keep linking to RC1? RC2 and RC3 have been released. I believe I've been using RC3. Is there something RC1 does better?

either of the 3 will work including PC EFI, the reason that i didnt use RC3 in this tutorial is because im having multiple sound assertion (about 10+ of them), boots fine though and audio loads the same way as RC1 but i dont want seeing it when i boot in verbose. using PC EFI 10.3 now BTW and loving it.

im assuming you use a different board?

BlaSTiWi 09-22-2009 02:00 PM

@sk1nhd33t

I started to use the Netkas 10.3 EFI & also the newest fakesmc kext everything working as before but my system profile didn't show like yours ... my PCI list is empty ... and I have to switch back to use EFI string for my nVidia (8400gs) in order to get other resolutions to show up otherwise only 1024x768. I've cleaned up my boot.plist like yours too.

My board is r2.0 so I'm using RTL8139 based PCI ethernet so kinda expected it may not show up on the PCI list but the video card should, no?

Tkx!

sk1nhd33t 09-22-2009 03:35 PM

@BlaSTiWi

dont know why it suddenly shows but that's just what i did, change to EFI 10.3 + RC3 and add this on my boot.plist as exactly on the p1 screenshot.

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>

it's purely cosmetic though so either EFI strings or the built in injector will do as long as it works :)

dooododoo 09-22-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk1nhd33t (Post 31605)

@snow glad that it now worked for you and my guide help a bit. chao!

edit: BTW USB installer boots and install fine on 64bit using this board.

@sk1nhd33t Are you saying that I should disregard snow's instructions whenever it mentions booting in "-v -x32"? If yes, then good--because that's what I did! Well, the reason I did that was because I didn't know how to get into the prompt and enter "-v -x32" with Chameleon 2.0 RC3. Everything seems to be working fine and I had no KP's during installation. Will it be okay that I didn't boot in 32-bit mode? In other words, is using "-v -x32" merely a safety guard for preventing crashes? Or are there other reasons for booting in x32?

BTW, Chess crashes on me when I try to move any of the pieces.

sk1nhd33t 09-22-2009 07:23 PM

@dooododoo

i believe that message you quoted is really old and AFAIR could be a month back, the good thing though is you read the whole thread ;)

to answer your question, booting 64bit or 32bit kernel (-x32 in PC EFI arch=i386 in Chameleon) really depends on you. Up to this day some apps and 3rd party applications still wont run on 64bit so it's up to the user what will they choose to use for compatability. and YES as far as the guide is concern it's best to boot it first on 32bit since i intentionally didnot include the mkext creation while in leopard because of a few non so friendly (for others) Terminal commands. I want the guide to be as easy as copy paste and drag and drop. The USB installer and even Snow Leopard partition boots fine in 64bit though on first boot but sometimes it get random kernel panic before while i was experimenting on the install.

i would also add that this guide is just 1 way in installing snow, there are other methods and ways in installing it so the step by step here is not important but the concept of the install :)

sk1nhd33t 09-23-2009 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi (Post 35549)
@sk1nhd33t

I started to use the Netkas 10.3 EFI & also the newest fakesmc kext everything working as before but my system profile didn't show like yours ... my PCI list is empty ... and I have to switch back to use EFI string for my nVidia (8400gs) in order to get other resolutions to show up otherwise only 1024x768. I've cleaned up my boot.plist like yours too.

My board is r2.0 so I'm using RTL8139 based PCI ethernet so kinda expected it may not show up on the PCI list but the video card should, no?

Tkx!

aha! i think i found out what is causing this, you can try it if it works for you but i cant assure the results ok :)

i have a rev1x board and 9600GT but as soon as i use RC3 + PC EFI 10.3 and remove the EFI strings i also got no QE/CI, so i remember that on the 1st page screenshot i use RC2 binaries and 10.3. Try it and hope it will work on you, just be sure you add this on your boot.plist

<string>y</string>
<string>y</string>

what baffles me is on RC3 alone i cant make the automatic injection work while on RC2+10.3 it's working flawlessly.

BlaSTiWi 09-23-2009 02:21 PM

@sk1nhd33t

I'm a bit confuse ... I thought swappin' the "boot" file is basically switchin' the binary ... If I recall correctly I'm using RC2 as the base install since it's the only one that has ability to use EFI partition while the RC3 hacked installer can not (I think similar w/ RC1) ...

I'm using 8400GS on rev2 w/ latest PC-EFI 10.3 now ... how do I find out if I have QE/CI?

Tkx!

sk1nhd33t 09-23-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi (Post 35641)
@sk1nhd33t

I'm a bit confuse ... I thought swappin' the "boot" file is basically switchin' the binary ... If I recall correctly I'm using RC2 as the base install since it's the only one that has ability to use EFI partition while the RC3 hacked installer can not (I think similar w/ RC1) ...

I'm using 8400GS on rev2 w/ latest PC-EFI 10.3 now ... how do I find out if I have QE/QI?

Tkx!

for QE/CI check this blog entry by Prasys.

ok ill explain my situation, before RC3 and PC EFI 10.3 were out im using RC1+10.1 on a hidden EFI partition, to make my 9600GT VGA to work w/ QE/CI i need to create an EFI strings and paste it on my boot.plist. Now that RC3 is out i tried it's automatic device properties injection using this below command but after reboot i dont have QE/CI, resolution is ok though but my 9600Gt fan is always on.. the same goes for RC3 + 10.3

<string>y</string>
<string>y</string>

but for RC2 + PC EFI 10.3 it's different, my boot plist is clean w/o EFI strings, i have QE/CI and my 9600GT is displaying on system profiler which before it's empty on RC1+10..1, RC3, or RC3 + 10.3. I dont know if this is specific on my machine which i doubt but i tried it different times and i can conclude it on my machine.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/687/s...90923at152.png

my boot.plist before and after screenshot is here.

oh BTW RC1-RC3 works on a hidden EFI partition :)

BlaSTiWi 09-23-2009 03:22 PM

@sk1nhd33t

I think I'm using RC2 w/ your original 10.1 then upgrade to 10.3 ... I'll try your link to chk for QE/CI support AFAIK some people said if Chess, Front Row & DVD works then more than likely QE/CI in use and I got them to work.

Yeah you're right hidden EFI partition works on all Chameleon ... I forgot just varied during install the RC1 only has EFI as the option and RC2 has EFI & FAT but the RC3 installer I got (hacked by Dr. Hurt) have no custom button so I don't think it' has EFI and/or FAT support

Similar to your situation w/o the EFI string (I'm using UInstaller to generate my 8400gs) in the boot.plist I'm stuck on 1024x768 mode while w/ the EFI string I have a lot of choices.

Another question ... I'm using the PleaseSleep you suggested ... and it works great but when the machine sleep a bit longer when I wake it up I lost my keyboard & mouse ... do you run to similar situation? But if its not to long all good ... have not try to hookup USB drive or anything to see if I lost it too like USB problem.

Do you keep the SleepEnabler.kext while using the PleaseSleep application or replace?

Tkx!

sk1nhd33t 09-23-2009 04:03 PM

@BlaSTiWi

re: Chameleon, yea i forgot that too that RC3 doesnt have an official pkg yet, i installed mine using terminal that's why and for some reason RC1 and RC2 errors out at the end. Still choose either automatic injection or EFI strings, important thing is your VGA is working w/ QE/CI :)

re: PleaseSleep, no problems on my end using Apple wired aluminum KB and Wireless BT mighty mouse, tested it a few times and so far it's been performing well on my end. i didnt remove sleepenabler and havent tried running without it.. will test it sometime and post here if sleep still works which im hoping it wont hehe.

chubsterpete 09-23-2009 06:24 PM

Great guide sk1nhd33t, thank you for taking the time to write it up.
Quick question, how long should it take to restore the SL dvd to the thumb drive? I've tried it as per the instructions on my 10.5.8 hackintosh and from my macbook but it is painfully slow. Disk utility showed over 1 day before I stopped it. Thumb drive seems to be normal as I tried transferring a 700mb file and it was quick. Also tried to restore from the SL dmg file located on the hd vs from the dvd rom. Still slow.

sk1nhd33t 09-23-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi (Post 35549)
@sk1nhd33t

Tkx!

haha after all the post and testings im sure this will fix yours.. i should have got this the first time if i RTFM. :p

add these below on your boot.plist, works on RC2/3 or PC EFI 10.3.

Code:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>GraphicsEnabler=Yes</string>

while this one only works on RC2+PCEFI10.3 (at least on my end).

Code:

<string>y</string>

sk1nhd33t 09-23-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubsterpete (Post 35664)
Great guide sk1nhd33t, thank you for taking the time to write it up.
Quick question, how long should it take to restore the SL dvd to the thumb drive? I've tried it as per the instructions on my 10.5.8 hackintosh and from my macbook but it is painfully slow. Disk utility showed over 1 day before I stopped it. Thumb drive seems to be normal as I tried transferring a 700mb file and it was quick. Also tried to restore from the SL dmg file located on the hd vs from the dvd rom. Still slow.

mine from a dmg or DVD will only take 20-45min, im not really sure about the exact time since i dont wait it out to finish but what im sure is it it'll take less than an hour tops.

could be a corrupt dmg? or just wait it out a few minutes and maybe it will change the time from days to minutes? worth a try.

russianbandit 09-23-2009 06:50 PM

Chameleon install

How do I know Chameleon is installed correctly on the USB? Is there some file or directory I can check for?
I tried the manual install of RC3, but I couldn't boot from it. In boot selection I tried everything (USB-HDD, USB-ZIP, USB-FLOPPY). I'm guessing I might not be installing the Chameleon boot loader correctly. So just want to make sure I am.

sk1nhd33t 09-23-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russianbandit (Post 35668)
How do I know Chameleon is installed correctly on the USB? Is there some file or directory I can check for?
I tried the manual install of RC3, but I couldn't boot from it. In boot selection I tried everything (USB-HDD, USB-ZIP, USB-FLOPPY). I'm guessing I might not be installing the Chameleon boot loader correctly. So just want to make sure I am.

try again but this time use Dr. Hurt's RC3 pkg (google it) or Conti's RC3+10.3 pkg here

both are double click packages, less Terminal work :)

russianbandit 09-23-2009 08:25 PM

Okay, Dr. Hurts RC3 installer worked, then I copied over 10.3 boot.
The thing I had to do was to set my USB Flash to be priority boot over HDD in bios.
Then it booted fine and installed fine too. I did not specify (" -v -x32 ") before the install. Is that bad?

Now, my next problem is about "Back on Leopard" step. I have two machines - old PPC iMac G5 and PC hackintosh (brand new) that I'm trying to install SL on. So what can I do to install Chameleon now onto the new hackintosh SL box?

Edit: I figured it out. Just used the flash drive to boot to Chameleon and then selected the new HDD with SL install. Got it to boot on its own. Now to get the video card working (GeForce EN9600GSO). Any good tutorials on how to get that working?

Another edit: Got my video card to work using Universal Installer using custom install. Want to tanks Sk1n for all the great help!