InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

BlaSTiWi 09-13-2009 10:29 PM

Another question ...

I got SL to install on another SATA HD, then when I bring back Leopard to install Chameleon the installer stuck at "Installing Core (writing package receipt)" screen & never complete ... the only way out is to force quit the installer.

I've done it on 2 different HDs & either standard or EFI way.

Did I do something wrong?

Tkx!

drossxyu 09-14-2009 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzen (Post 34572)
I was able to just use the new legacy883.kext in extra/extensions. Although first time did not take. However when cloned to new drive started working. So must have to rebuild mkext or something like that. Try OSX86 Tools and rebuild and Chameleon 2 RC3

What function in OSX86 Tools would "rebuild" my mkexts. I'm still having trouble getting my audio to work. I installed the legacy883.kext using kext utility and there still isn't an audio device showing up in the sound preferences.

I also need a ethernet solution as I have a rev. 2 board. The tp-link tg-3269 was recommended in this thread, but it doesn't seem to be available in any of the US based sites/stores. Is there an alternative NIC that works just as well? I've also though about buying one of these apple usb ethernet adapters.

joel_ezekiel 09-14-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi (Post 34756)
Another question ...

I got SL to install on another SATA HD, then when I bring back Leopard to install Chameleon the installer stuck at "Installing Core (writing package receipt)" screen & never complete ... the only way out is to force quit the installer.

I've done it on 2 different HDs & either standard or EFI way.

Did I do something wrong?

Tkx!

As i said in my post chameleon wouldn't install, this is what happened. Do a quick search for a pkg of the RC3 of chameleon and use that instead, all the other steps are the same.

BlaSTiWi 09-14-2009 01:45 PM

Turned out it seems to be related to Leopard 10.5.8 I'm using (dunno why) ... When I did it w/ Leopard 10.5.7 (AiTKOS v7 based) all went thru fine w/ all RC1, 2 or 3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joel_ezekiel (Post 34813)
As i said in my post chameleon wouldn't install, this is what happened. Do a quick search for a pkg of the RC3 of chameleon and use that instead, all the other steps are the same.

L8nitehackin 09-16-2009 03:24 AM

give up on audio..

Well, I still don't seem to be any closer to getting sound from my mobo. I've completely done a fresh install using the latest Chameleon to SL, and again... everything works flawlesssly, but no freakin' sound options to choose from?!

I removed my other Sound Blaster card just to see if that was causing a conflict, no difference. ( use that when I have my XP hard drive in )

As soon as I plug in my usb speakers, SL recognizes them and plays just fine. And when I put my other hard drive in with just Leopard installed, it works fine with my mobo sound.

Anyway.. may just go purchase an external usb setup with 5.1 to use with Snow Lep and XP.

Argggh... this one has me totally baffled.

drossxyu 09-16-2009 06:20 PM

For those of you that are still having trouble getting the sound to work I was able to get it to work by doing the following as provided by djnitehawk on this thread (check out his awesome automation script while you're at it):

1. get rid of all other sound kexts that u have added, from both /E/E and /S/L/E

2. download the latest voodoohda and extract it...

3. copy voodoohda.kext to /S/L/E and run the following commands in terminal to fix repair permissions and rebuid mkext caches...

• sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions
  • sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions
  • sudo diskutil repairpermissions /volumes/NAMEOFSNOWVOLUME
  • sudo touch /system/library/extensions

4. install the voodoohda pref pane by double-clicking on it...

5. reboot and pray to the hackintosh gods :-)

I have a G31M-ES2L Rev.2. I was never able to get the legacy883.kext to work, nor the other two separate sound .kexts. Since I have the Rev. 2 the ethernet port never worked either so I decided to purchase the apple usb ethernet adaptor. It says it's supposed to be for the macbook air only but it works fine. For some reason it didn't work right off the bat. I had to go into the network control panel to 'activate' it. I'm dual booting w\ windows 7 so luckily there is a windows driver for this device here, although I have yet to test it.

MonkeyDLuffy 09-16-2009 09:41 PM

Hi,

I'll just be a little bit off topic here but your answers are going to be important. I hope it is ok.

Do you experience VERY SLOW boot from USB in G31m-ES2L rev 1.x?

I boot from Snow Leopard USB installer and it takes 12 minutes to see the 1st installer screen. Using the same external hard drive, it boots into my laptop in only 2 minutes.

Booting from DVD is way faster than booting from USB.

This is my second motherboard. I had it replaced thinking that the slow boot is caused by a faulty mobo. Now that I got a new, sealed mobo, it has the exact same problem. My older Gigabyte P35-DS3L mobo does not have this problem.

I'm on F9i bios. Tried other non beta bios and it is still slow.

Btw, thanks for this guide. It is really awesome.

I'm enjoying Snow Leopard now!

Bartounet 09-16-2009 09:59 PM

Hi :)

First thanks for this guide, almost everything works fine for me, except that i have a kernel panic each time i try to boot with -x32 flag, but i think it is not a problem if everything is fine in 64 bits mode, is it ?

There is something else, SL is installed on a USB hard drive, i have a sata too with win7 partition in first and a hfs partition which i want be used as chameleon boot partition, please, somebody can help me to do that. (actually i choose usb hd in boot menu to launch a chameleon rc2 which seem working fine actually)

thanks for all and i hope my english is good

Voyn1x 09-17-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy (Post 35083)
Hi,

I'll just be a little bit off topic here but your answers are going to be important. I hope it is ok.

Do you experience VERY SLOW boot from USB in G31m-ES2L rev 1.x?

I boot from Snow Leopard USB installer and it takes 12 minutes to see the 1st installer screen. Using the same external hard drive, it boots into my laptop in only 2 minutes.

Booting from DVD is way faster than booting from USB.

This is my second motherboard. I had it replaced thinking that the slow boot is caused by a faulty mobo. Now that I got a new, sealed mobo, it has the exact same problem. My older Gigabyte P35-DS3L mobo does not have this problem.

I'm on F9i bios. Tried other non beta bios and it is still slow.

Btw, thanks for this guide. It is really awesome.

I'm enjoying Snow Leopard now!

Odd, I've got a rev 1.x board and mine boots the usb stick installer within a couple of mins - much quicker than a DVD.

Where are you plugging in the usb stick? If it's through an Apple keyboard for instance, it will only read at USB 1.0 speeds. My board is using the original bios shipped with it (F7).

Also dsdt is bios and mobo specific - you may find the dsdt in this guide is for a different bios version. Imho you should always make your own DSDT than use someone elses.

MonkeyDLuffy 09-17-2009 05:24 PM

Yeah, it is really weird. Hmmm, I'm just plugging it at the back USB ports. I tried switching ports and I they are the same. I just discovered something new (just now), when I disable USB 2.0 in BIOS, the slow boot speeds are identical with it Enabled. I disabled USB 2.0 in my other gigabyte motherboard (not G31m-eS2L) and now it is identical with the slow boot speed as my G31m-ES2L Enabled. I'm guessing that USB 2.0 is not working properly in the boot process.

However, If I'm inside the OSX (installed in the USB), its super fast. It's just the boot process.

BTW, thanks for confirming that you're not having this problem. I have to talk to Gigabyte regarding this issue.

EDIT:

Oh I forgot to mention that it is not DSDT related. I also have an external Windows 7 and XP USB installers. They all boot slow compared to a cd or dvd.