InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

shadowro 04-25-2010 03:01 AM

installed as instructions provided in post #1
everything was working

downloaded 10.6.3 combo from website, took out sleep enabler kext, boom,
no audio, fuzzy image via hdmi on ASUS 9400GT.

tried with 10.6.2 audio, nothing

back to 10.6, downloaded 10.6.2 combo from website, took out sleep enabler kext, boom, no audio, video is ok

installed patched 10.6.2-AppleHDAInstaller.zip, nothing

10.6 working with LegacyALC883.kext

any ideas?

thanks.

G31M ES2L rev.1.1

http://www.kexts.com/view/185-alc883_snow_leopard.html
and Kext Utility
sound back

zim2dive 04-25-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowro (Post 47719)
installed as instructions provided in post #1
everything was working

downloaded 10.6.3 combo from website, took out sleep enabler kext, boom,
no audio, fuzzy image via hdmi on ASUS 9400GT.

tried with 10.6.2 audio, nothing

back to 10.6, downloaded 10.6.2 combo from website, took out sleep enabler kext, boom, no audio, video is ok

installed patched 10.6.2-AppleHDAInstaller.zip, nothing

10.6 working with LegacyALC883.kext

any ideas?

thanks.

G31M ES2L rev.1.1

http://www.kexts.com/view/185-alc883_snow_leopard.html
and Kext Utility
sound back

There are reports in other forums about HDMI issues. I use DVI, so I haven't kept track, but you may want to look into those.

notion 04-26-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhuanghust (Post 46340)
Hi everyone,

I followed the step to install my snow leopard but have problems with first boot.
First Boot:
● press F12 Boot Menu again then choose your USB flash drive, we need to do this because our SATA drive is not bootable on it's own yet
● on the Chameleon selection screen, choose your never booted Snow Leopard drive/partition . (Encouter problem, i can only see the flash install driver here.)

I guess it may related to Extra/com.app.boot.plist. Below is mine, Could anyone give a help ?

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>bootcamp</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I am having the exact same problem, did you ever figure out a solution to see the drive where Snow Leopard installed?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out what the problem was... my keyboard didn't work with boot up for some reason, but switched to a different one and now everything's great!

bunun 04-29-2010 03:36 AM

sound still not working, i have a rev2 board, looked at the past few solutions, and im still sol.

rwillett 04-29-2010 11:06 AM

Update on 10.6.3 - USB disconnects fixed

I thought I'd share my experiences on how I got 10.6.3 working on my G31M-ES2L board. I had a number of issues with the first upgrade and went back and installed from scratch.

First of all a full system restore from a local Time Machine doesn't work. I never managed to get the boot partition to work after this. A restore of user accounts, and everything else does work though.

I had a working system through following this guide all the way to 10.6.2. USB worked fine, I had the initial black screen on first boot until the screen saver kicked in and I never, ever got sleep to work :)

I wanted to upgrade to 10.6.3, I followed the instructions here, removed the sleepenabler.kext, upgraded to 10.6.3 and then applied the new upgraded sleepenabler.kext. Blue screen, mmm.... lets downgrade using Time machine back to 10.6.2, rats, either it doesn't restore or screws the boot partition <sigh>, do proper install from USB key.

Full install from USB key, chose to restore user and applications from the Time Machine backup and, blow me down with a feather, it works.

Took sleepenabler out, upgraded to 10.6.3, installed sleepenabler and this time it worked. No idea why.

However my external powered USB hub would connect and disconnect every five seconds or so. I noticed this as I have an iMic connected to the hub to power my speakers as I don't use the internal audio. This was originally because my external speakers didn't have a volume control and the output from the motherboard was too loud. I have since changed the speakers but left the iMic in as it was a zero maintenance item and I didn't have to worry about sound kexts as it was external.

I could see errors in the console so looked further into the problem. There were definite USB disconnects. A trawl round the internet produced this site

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/...63-update.html

I could see there were some USB issues and various fixes. Since I didn't understand DSDT I thought I'd simply download the
"Non-Vanilla USB Solution - For Non-DSDT Users with No USB " fix.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/Public/10....yInstaller.zip

I ran this and rebooted. My USB issues had gone, no disconnects, no problems so far.

As an aside my black screen on initial boot has also gone. I have not yet fixed the sleep issue but lets cross that bridge later :)

hope this helps somebody.

macdaddy247 04-30-2010 09:55 AM

Success at last.

Well, it wasn't easy, but I have finally got my G31M ES2L Rev 2 system fully working.

Here's the hardware:

- Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L Intel G31 Video/Sound Socket 775 mATX Motherboard
- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5400 2.7GHz 'Wolfdale' 2MB Cache 45nm LGA775 (800Mhz)
- Samsung SH-S223B/RSMN 22x DVDR/RW Dual Layer SATA Multi Bezel
- Asus 512MB GDDR2 GeForce 9400GT DVI/HDMI (PCI-E) With Low Profile Bracket
- Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400 DDR2 DIMM Memory Kit
- 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 7200RPM SATA 3Gb 16MB Cache

I did two things that made this process a whole lot more complicated that it needed to be.
1) I got a rev 2 board instead of rev 1 (meaning that I would have to spend ages unsuccessfully trying to get ethernet working).
2) I used a small form factor case (which requires low profile brackets for PCI cards), mainly because I got it really cheap (around £7 or $12).

Of course, hats off to the original creator of this thread. The instructions were clear, and I managed to get snow leopard running without any errors or crashes.

I discovered, after a bit of trying that the rev 2 on board ethernet wouldn't work, so bought a NIC. However, as I needed a low profile bracket, I was restricted to the Startech st100s which, after a lot of playing with, didn't work (anyone who wants to buy that off me for a non snow leopard project? :)).

The frustration got too much, so in the end I cheated a bit and bought a USB ethernet adaptor from Apple which worked OTB.

The audio also gave me a few problems. I followed the instructions in this thread, but it still didn't want to work.
So, in adition to the ALC883 legacy kext, I also had to stick in the Apple HDA kext and used Kext Utility, plus the pfix included in the original instructions to get things going.
I'm not entirely sure what it was that finally made it all work, but the main thing is that I have sound.

A Mac on a tiny budget. After some hours, and some stress, I'm a happy man!

I have been considering running an update to 10.6.2, but I'm scared that it might break it. :-/

rwillett 04-30-2010 01:28 PM

Upgrading to 10.6.2 is easy, lots of comments on this thread. Upgrading to 10.6.3 is more of an issue with kexts and external USB, see my previous comment.

macdaddy247 04-30-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwillett (Post 47871)
Upgrading to 10.6.2 is easy, lots of comments on this thread. Upgrading to 10.6.3 is more of an issue with kexts and external USB, see my previous comment.

Just out of interest, is there anything in the updates that is crucial to its smooth operation?
I'm only really going to be using my machine for video editing, so web security updates etc aren't overly important.

From the top of your head, are there any major fixes that are highly recommended?
If so, I will probably have a go.

rwillett 04-30-2010 06:26 PM

Upgrading to 10.6.[23]

I'm not sure of the exact details but I know there are stability updates within the major updates, they are NOT just security. On the whole I would advise you to upgrade, however if your machine is not on the network and it's perfectly stable, there may be no need.

You mileage may vary though :)

Rob

bunun 05-01-2010 05:54 PM

in the first post, it was clear that Ethernet would not work with rev 2 boards. your fail