InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   10.X (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Kext ideas and recommendations for a dell studio 1555 and similar laptops (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=5036)

andyi89 01-06-2010 08:20 PM

Finally got my laptop and after a few failed attempts finally seem to be getting somewhere i've got leopard running on my laptop

i tried a few distro's some of which wouldn't even boot in the end i ended up using kalyway 10.5.2

which unfortunatly is a bit out of date but is working brilliantly

i managed to get it running (heres a screen shot of my desktop)

http://i45.tinypic.com/kehiqq.png

with fully working
  • sound
  • video (thanks very much to your driver had to edit the list file and turn hardware cursor off as it made cursor all sqeuwif turned into a box of mess basicly but that sorted that out)
    • wireless
    • card reader
    • battery meter and power management
    • all effects seem to be working

only problems i have are

Usb sticks aren't being recognized

sometimes when booting it just hangs on the apple not to sure about this been reading adding rd=disk(partition) to the boot.plist sorts this out am yet to try that.

also i've noticed there are kexts to enable two touch on the touch pad dont really know how that will effect my setup.

also going to look into updating the chameleon loader to the newer version

but more importantly id like to upgrade to 10.5.8 and am not really sure how to go about it. I am going to start reading around now see what i can find. But any input on that would be really really appreciated.

Thanks ever so much for your input so far its been fantastic in helping me.

Imkantus 01-07-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyi89 (Post 42556)
Usb sticks aren't being recognized

Probably a system.kext problem. Open the Terminal and enter "uname -a" it will return you current Kernel. Then got to /System/Library/Extensions peform right-click on system.kext and select Informatiosn - compare the system.kext version with the one of your Kernel.

Quote:

but more importantly id like to upgrade to 10.5.8 and am not really sure how to go about it. I am going to start reading around now see what i can find. But any input on that would be really really appreciated.
I recommend you to do a Back-Up. Then upgrade your bootloader to Chameleonv 2 RC1 or similiar as you planned. Replace dsmos.kext or AppleDecrypt.kext (depending on what you are using) with netkas latest fakesmc release and install Disabler.kext if you don't have it yet. Next get the DSDT Patcher GUI from pcwiz with NewHPET option to your Leopard HD (might not be required but doesn't hurt ;)).
Optionally do a Back-Up of your current Kernel and Extensions folder - this is usually not needed on Vanilla-able machnies, but I prefer to do it the safe way. ;)
On Terminal:
sudo -s
cp /mach_kernel /bak_kernel
cp -R /System/Library/Extensions /Extensions_bak

Now give it a shot and apply the 10.5.8 Combo Update - it migth need a second attempt to boot into your system again.
Hopefully everything will be fine. :)

andyi89 01-11-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imkantus (Post 42594)
Probably a system.kext problem. Open the Terminal and enter "uname -a" it will return you current Kernel. Then got to /System/Library/Extensions peform right-click on system.kext and select Informatiosn - compare the system.kext version with the one of your Kernel.

thanks! im trying the update now and u was completely right about the versions being out my kernel is 9.2.0 and my system.kext is 9.2.2!

going to look for a version of vanilla kernel and system.kext now am unsure of what version to use tho just going to search hackintosh search

thanks again for everything its been a massive help!

Update!:

so i rushed into the updating thing and used the offical apple combo update and its killed my os its just boots constantly on -v it stops on firewire error

going to download ideneb combo update now :)

andyi89 01-13-2010 02:18 AM

okay ive installed kalyway again without kexts and then updated it straight away after update it boots up into just a greyish screen with a few squgily boxes i can move with the mouse

i can boot into safemode and it works fine

so i tryed installin the hd radeon kext i have and now it just boots up into a blank bright white screen any ideas? what that could be :(?

Imkantus 01-13-2010 12:31 PM

When you are in Safemode, go to /System/Library/Extensions and delete ATIRadeonX2000.kext - (needless to say, that you create a Backup first;)).
Then I think, you should be able to boot normal again. :)

andyi89 01-13-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imkantus (Post 42953)
When you are in Safemode, go to /System/Library/Extensions and delete ATIRadeonX2000.kext - (needless to say, that you create a Backup first;)).
Then I think, you should be able to boot normal again. :)

What!! you are actually a genius!!

I spent all night last night searching around trying all sorts of different things!!

and u just reply the simplest solution and wink at me and it works perfect everytime! :') haha! :p

so its woking perfect atm i havent installed any sound kexts or infact many kexts yet but its updated and running lovely having the trouble of it not booting sometimes again am going to check the system.kext and kernel now

thanks again!!

Update: checked the kernel and system.kext

ive got

Darwin andrew-irelands-studio-1555.local 9.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15 16:55:01 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

and system kext version 9.8.0

but i still have this boot issue ive got the bootloader u recomended aswell and still

it comes up the white screen with apple and the circular loading bit doesn't appear

could be whiles its journaling i think going to try repair permissions

on -v it just hangs on firewire i think ill check again

update again!:

do i need to delete disabler.kext now update is complete? will that bring back powermanagement or do i have to reinstall that?

Imkantus 01-14-2010 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyi89 (Post 42978)
so its woking perfect atm i havent installed any sound kexts or infact many kexts yet

VoodooHDA should work for most Audio Codecs. :)

Quote:

on -v it just hangs on firewire i think ill check again
Can you maybe post a complete screen?
Ofcourse you could try disabling Firewire at the BIOS settings if it's possible (might be called something like 1394), or to remove the Firewire Kernel-Extension as well...

Quote:

do i need to delete disabler.kext now update is complete? will that bring back powermanagement or do i have to reinstall that?
Powermangament using the OS X driver (AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext) does not work correctly on Hackintosh systems, even worse - it will cause a Kernel Panic on any update and break the system - so it's a common method to disable it.
If you had pwrmngmnt on your configuration before the update, you might have been using the 9.2.0 speedstep Kernel by netkas? Alltough it is possible to keep using the old Kernel, it's an obsolete solution.
It is possible to make native speedstep to work by modifiyng the DSDT table, but if you are looking for an easier solution you shoudl check out VoodooPower made my superhai. :)
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=143898

andyi89 01-16-2010 03:59 PM

okay so ive done a reinstall and updated straight away deleted the x2000 kext and well all seems well got sound videos are a bit funny but thats to be expected sounds fine using voodoohda and well all seems well

start up issue still exists but im not to fused about that atm biggest thing was to get it working

heres a screen of my desktop

http://i49.tinypic.com/2a0hsgz.png

ive just got my hands on the snow leopard os 10.6

thinking of having ago at installing that :') but!
id be so gutted if i lost what ive got atm

Imkantus 01-17-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyi89 (Post 43145)
well all seems well

That's always the most important - to be satisfied with what you have. :D

You might like this it will fix the "Unknown" to your correct CPU modell on 10.5.x - just for the eye-candy but... ;)

Quote:

start up issue still exists but im not to fused about that atm biggest thing was to get it working
As I wrote getting a complete Screenshot of the point where it hangs & propably even your dmesg output on a succefull boot (for comparisson) might be usefull to find the reason for this problem.

Richard.T 01-30-2010 09:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey!

I'm so glad I've found this thread,It took me a long time to find someone saying they could install Mac OSX on a system almost identical to mine :)

Although you've got 1gb extra ram and I'm on 7 pro..

I've just installed iatkos v7 and I can't boot into it,I have installed mac osx before on a netbook and never had this issue.What happens is the i select mac using Chameleon 2 and then the shiny apple boot logo just hangs.I have got a few issues with the boot permissions and I'm just about to repair them,But could you think of any issues I might be having?

And if not how would I view to boot screen to check for errors?

Thanks

EDIT:
I reinstalled selecting drivers and other things that matches my system..

And got this error:
http://www.infinitemac.com/attachmen...1&d=1264887368

I installed the following:
iAKTOS v7 main system
Chameleon v2 bootloader
X86 patches :Extra directory
Decrypters:Apple Decrypt
Kernel: Voodoo 9.7.0
ACPI: x 86 ACPI
Disabler
Remove Tymce
Driver: