InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

sisiphus 09-24-2009 10:29 AM

boot

ok, sk1nhd33t i finally manage to install SL...with bits of this tuto and part of the OSInstall.mpkg method, and lots of try/error/try again. I was forced to use AppleIntelPIIXATA from leopard because somehow the new one for SL did not recognize my mac partition, during install on your method or any other method too :confused: . i used Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640 and EFI 2.0.
Sound works good, internet too, no Kp (only when i was trying to install Photo CS4),sleep is working, the problem is when i come back from sleep sound is full of glitchs (like leopard too).
my major annoyance is every time i boot to SL (installed on one hdd of 3 at my disposal) i have to boot with flags -v -f -x32 otherwise it will stall.
i edited boot.plist like this but still will not boot.
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1440x900x32</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-f -x32</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>boot-uuid=B5375017-4D34-3E88-9B6867110FDFEA89</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Default</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
is there any way to make it boot automatically without typing those fags everytime

JoQ 09-25-2009 02:18 PM

I downloaded the PleaseSleep application, which seems to work just fine!
But its really really ugly and there is no setting to hide it completely, remove the menu bar icon or the floating window, you must have atleast one, and i would like it to run completely in the background. I really dont need to change any preferences at any time.

So how's this done?
Using it on my netbook too, therefore i need the space in the menu bar, cause of the low resolution.

BlaSTiWi 09-25-2009 03:31 PM

My thought exactly ... have you try to choose the non-menu bar option (floating window) then go to preferences-> accounts and you'll have the option to see what app that auto-run when login automatically and make hidden? That way it'll be minimized to the dock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoQ (Post 35849)
I downloaded the PleaseSleep application, which seems to work just fine!
But its really really ugly and there is no setting to hide it completely, remove the menu bar icon or the floating window, you must have atleast one, and i would like it to run completely in the background. I really dont need to change any preferences at any time.

So how's this done?
Using it on my netbook too, therefore i need the space in the menu bar, cause of the low resolution.

sk1nhd33t 09-25-2009 04:57 PM

PleaseSleep cant be hidden even if you tick hide on startup so what i did was change it's menubar icon, at least now i dont see a tricolor "Zzz" icon and it matched other icons in my menubar :)

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/750...90925at114.png

pleasesleep is the icon before MainMenu (eraser icon)

JoQ 09-25-2009 09:56 PM

BlaStiWi and sk1nhd33t okey
The thing is i only have 1024x600 resolution, and it sucks to have many icons at the topmenu.

Hope we'll find a solution!

mstam 09-26-2009 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 10.5 running fine on an Abit IP35 Pro w/ ATI 4850 video card. Can't get the install of SL to work unfortunately. I'm booting from an external USB HD and it takes about an hour to get to the attached screen. It then either freezes or after several more hours it shows some audio related issue.

I booted with the -v -x32 options. Also had to put the NullCPUPowerManagement kext in the Extensions folder to get past an HPET-related kernel panic. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

dooododoo 09-26-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk1nhd33t (Post 35863)
PleaseSleep cant be hidden even if you tick hide on startup so what i did was change it's menubar icon, at least now i dont see a tricolor "Zzz" icon and it matched other icons in my menubar :)

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/750...90925at114.png

pleasesleep is the icon before MainMenu (eraser icon)

@sk1nhd33t Do you fee like being even more generous and sharing your menu-hilite.gif, menu-off.gif, and menu-on.gif? Right now I use a 22x22 pixel transparent gif.

mstam 09-28-2009 12:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My mainboard has 2 NICs, w/ one disabled booting setup took a very long time, both enabled and it would freeze after network initialization. Purchased and installed an RTL-8169 card and disabled the onboard cards, ut now I get a kernel panic. Any suggestions?

simsim 09-28-2009 05:39 PM

Chess problem

1 Attachment(s)
Chess kernel panic.

Chess kernel panics in 64 bit as soon as I move the mouse. Front Row and the ripple effects in dashboard work fine though. Chess is fine in 32 bit kernel. It makes me wonder if I have qe/ci only in 32 bits or if its not clear cut like that.

This is the crash screen:
Attachment 742

I have the G31M-ES2l and the graphic card Asus GeForce 7300GT 256mb.
Output through DVI.
Snow leopard with kexts as in sk1nhd33ts guide.
Chameleon RC 2/3 boot0 boot1h and netkas 10.3 boot. No efi string - GraphicsEnabler in boot.plist. Kext Utility.

I don't know much about Quartz extreme and Core Image except that they are supposed to make the GPU do more of the work.
The 7300 is pretty weak though so I don't know what the difference would be.
The Wikipedia entry for Core Image list the 7300 as one of the cards used by apple for core image and notes that "any GPU capable of handling Core Image instructions is also Quartz Extreme capable". I used a trial version of iMaginator and ran this test I found. There was no difference under 32 or 64 bit (around 2 min 40 sec). I also used Core Image Fun from the developer tools. Transitions and effects worked fine in both 32 and 64 bit. (it crashes when using large pics like the example pics). Quarts composer also seems to work.

Xbench gives me slighter higher value for quartz and openGL in 64 bit…

Clicking the "Open in 32bit mode" under 64 bit kernel doesn't help Chess.
I also tried out an app called OpenGL Extensions Viewer. No difference in cpu % while testing.

g31m2es2l
E6300 2.8 Ghz
Asus GeForce 7300 GT silent 256 mb
2 GB 800 MHz ram
500GB HD samsung ecogreen
PicoPSU 120 w

maxcala 09-28-2009 06:08 PM

on mine, keeps on saying restart before install..anything to modify to remove the restart...

rcarp 09-28-2009 07:29 PM

Kext Help

2 Attachment(s)
First thank you. This guide worked perfectly for me. Snow running perfectly even after update. This is my problem I accidentally drop a kext into a console and now all my kexts look like in the picture. Even if I download them they turn into a folder before I can do anything with them. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

dooododoo 09-28-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simsim (Post 36174)
Chess kernel panic.

Chess kernel panics in 64 bit as soon as I move the mouse. Front Row and the ripple effects in dashboard work fine though. Chess is fine in 32 bit kernel. It makes me wonder if I have qe/ci only in 32 bits or if its not clear cut like that.

This is the crash screen:
Attachment 742

I have the G31M-ES2l and the graphic card Asus GeForce 7300GT 256mb.
Output through DVI.
Snow leopard with kexts as in sk1nhd33ts guide.
Chameleon RC 2/3 boot0 boot1h and netkas 10.3 boot. No efi string - GraphicsEnabler in boot.plist. Kext Utility.

I don't know much about Quartz extreme and Core Image except that they are supposed to make the GPU do more of the work.
The 7300 is pretty weak though so I don't know what the difference would be.
The Wikipedia entry for Core Image list the 7300 as one of the cards used by apple for core image and notes that "any GPU capable of handling Core Image instructions is also Quartz Extreme capable". I used a trial version of iMaginator and ran this test I found. There was no difference under 32 or 64 bit (around 2 min 40 sec). I also used Core Image Fun from the developer tools. Transitions and effects worked fine in both 32 and 64 bit. (it crashes when using large pics like the example pics). Quarts composer also seems to work.

Xbench gives me slighter higher value for quartz and openGL in 64 bit…

Clicking the "Open in 32bit mode" under 64 bit kernel doesn't help Chess.
I also tried out an app called OpenGL Extensions Viewer. No difference in cpu % while testing.

g31m2es2l
E6300 2.8 Ghz
Asus GeForce 7300 GT silent 256 mb
2 GB 800 MHz ram
500GB HD samsung ecogreen
PicoPSU 120 w

same thing happens with me. i get the ripple effect and screensavers work, but chess crashes like yours does. i have the same board and cpu as you. i have a 7600gs 256mb. i simply got rid of chess. haha.

simsim 09-28-2009 09:42 PM

good to know, maybe its just a bug then.
I never used chess before, only to test for qe/ci :)

[email protected] 09-28-2009 10:14 PM

Need Help!

1 Attachment(s)
I've followed the instructions and cannot get the USB to boot. I have tried many. many things. but, no luck. Need help.
I posted the verbose message screen. The screenshot attached is right before the machine reboots. I Leopard 10.5.6 installed (ideneb), and had no problems with that install.

Here is what the screen reads:
efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL stringdata
Loaded HFS+ file (Extra/smbios.plist) 943 bytes free from 4237430
Patched DMI Table
Loaded HFS+ file (DSDT.aml) 15508 bytes from 4237430
Patched ACPI version 1 DSDT

Then the machine re-boots.
I am using Chameleon 2 RC2 with EFIv10 boot file.

dooododoo 09-29-2009 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 36197)
I've followed the instructions and cannot get the USB to boot. I have tried many. many things. but, no luck. Need help.

i recall reading somewhere that pentium d's can't run vanilla. i could be wrong. this guide worked perfectly fine for me using a basic pentium dual core (e6300). have you ever ran vanilla with your pentium d?

mstam 09-29-2009 02:39 AM

I got mine working fine now incl. an ATI4850 thanks to the following thread:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=182123

One thing that isn't working, is 5.1 out over S/PDIF. Stereo only for now.

[email protected] 09-29-2009 12:50 PM

Vanilla on Leopard

Quote:

Originally Posted by dooododoo (Post 36212)
i recall reading somewhere that pentium d's can't run vanilla. i could be wrong. this guide worked perfectly fine for me using a basic pentium dual core (e6300). have you ever ran vanilla with your pentium d?

Well, I installed Leopard using iDeneb v1.3 (10.5.6).
This is what system profiler says:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F33)
Kernel Version: Darwin 9.2.0
Boot Volume: HAckint0sh
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: Hackint0sh

So, if I can't run vanilla on 10.6, then can you recommend a guide for me to follow?
I am just a little past noobie stage.

raymop

altoidboy 09-29-2009 05:04 PM

sk1nhd33t, thank you so much for all the time/work you've put into this and helping others get up and running. I'm brand new to this and have a couple of questions from the 1st post in this thread:

Quote:

when install DVD restore is done go to snow folder on your Desktop and copy the following to /Extra on your flash drive
● dsdt.aml
● boot.plist - edit this to match your EFI Strings, timeout and Graphics mode
● Extensions[USB] - rename it to Extensions
Where do I find instructions on how to edit the boot.plist? I don't know how to find my EFI strings, timeout, or graphics mode. I searched the forum but can't easily find the answer.

Also, would you consider updating those attached files to the latest? I tried doing it myself but got confused. (e.g. Chameleon RC3, PC-EFI 10.3, etc.)

I've tried a SL install several times on my G31M-ES2L with the VGA PNY VCG85512GXXB 8500GT 512MB graphics card. I've gotten it up and running almost perfectly, except no matter what I try, audio doesn't work (no audio devices show up). I've tried LegacyALC883.kext, I've tried LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver and LegacyHDAPlatformDriver, I've tried both, I've tried Voodoo, but nothing works.

checkitout 09-29-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altoidboy (Post 36279)
Also, would you consider updating those attached files to the latest? I tried doing it myself but got confused. (e.g. Chameleon RC3, PC-EFI 10.3, etc.)
I've gotten it up and running almost perfectly, except no matter what I try, audio doesn't work (no audio devices show up). I've tried LegacyALC883.kext, I've tried LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver and LegacyHDAPlatformDriver, I've tried both, I've tried Voodoo, but nothing works.

This is my situation exactly. I have everything working, except for audio. None of the kexts seem to work, no matter where I place them. I have tried everything and have a G31M-ES2l Rev 1.1 (F8 bios) board.

I migrated my Leopard account, so maybe that caused an issue. I think I may just have to totally wipe the drive and completely start from scratch.

If someone would be so kind as to create a new zip with the currently recommended solution, I would greatly appreciate it as well.

altoidboy 09-30-2009 01:08 AM

Ah, glad to know I'm not alone. But I didn't migrate Leopard. I did a total clean SL install, following a few different guides and trying many different kexts. I'm about to try this guide (the one at the top of this thread) again.

sk1nhd33t 09-30-2009 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dooododoo (Post 35961)
@sk1nhd33t Do you fee like being even more generous and sharing your menu-hilite.gif, menu-off.gif, and menu-on.gif? Right now I use a 22x22 pixel transparent gif.

google iAnderw's menubar icons (should be in devianart) to download the icons there coz my hack is currently stuck on the 3rd floor of our house.. my country (Philippines) was recently hit by typhoon ondoy and some areas (including ours) are still are flooded. Internet is still not restored in my area so im typing this on my MBP on 3G. Thank god though it's just the flood and my family, me and my gadgets are safe :)

Quote:

Where do I find instructions on how to edit the boot.plist? I don't know how to find my EFI strings, timeout, or graphics mode. I searched the forum but can't easily find the answer.

EFI strings can be obtain by using an app called OSX86tools or EFIStudio. fro the graphics mode, it's the max resolution of your monitor. You can also try skipping efi strings and use " GraphicsEnabler=Yes" on your boot.plist (RC3 or PCEFI10.3 required)

Quote:

maybe sometime but i dont see the point because all of the new files are either linked or can easily be found like netkas fakesmc V2 n 10.3.

Quote:

I've tried a SL install several times on my G31M-ES2L with the VGA PNY VCG85512GXXB 8500GT 512MB graphics card. I've gotten it up and running almost perfectly, except no matter what I try, audio doesn't work (no audio devices show up). I've tried LegacyALC883.kext, I've tried LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver and LegacyHDAPlatformDriver, I've tried both, I've tried Voodoo, but nothing works.

for audio, voodooHDA in S/L/E works flawlessly except after waking from sleep but the quoted kext above wont work alone without an HDEF patch in your DSDT (thanks to coconup). clear your cache after replacing the kext and create and mkext.

also be sure to check System Preference then go to Sound and choose Internal Speakers/Built-In Speaker for both Sound Effects and Output Tab.

here's how the setup goes, any of the 3 combination will do:

- LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver + LegacyHDAPlatformDriver + HDEF = audio
- LegacyALC883.kext + HDEF = audio
- VoodooHDA (S/L/E) + untouch dsdt = audio

if all fails then i dont know what to suggest anymore ^_^

Quote:

Originally Posted by checkitout (Post 36303)
This is my situation exactly. I have everything working, except for audio. None of the kexts seem to work, no matter where I place them. I have tried everything and have a G31M-ES2l Rev 1.1 (F8 bios) board.

check above, you must be doing something wrong coz i have the same F8 bios.

sk1nhd33t 09-30-2009 06:46 AM

you can also check this automated installer created by Conti, this will install RC3 + PC EFI 10.3 including the kext needed except for our alc883 audio, for permission and creating Extensions.mkext check this too (again created by Conti), it's an automated and manual command to fix and create your mkext, just edit it before running since conti uses CustomExtension on his script or rename your extensions folder.

HTH :)

checkitout 09-30-2009 07:09 AM

Sound is working. I did a fresh install on another drive, copied over my settings manually, and then used carbon copy cloner to get it all back on my original disk.

Stoerte 09-30-2009 01:38 PM

Spotlight KP

Hi,

(i thought my installation went well, but now i have the following problem. Every time i boot my computer, Spotlight is trying to index my harddrive and my hackintosh gets a KP and i have to reboot...booting....Spotlight trying to index...KP...reboot...etc. :'( Someone has a fix for me?)

O.K. it's not (only) a Spotlight problem. I stopped running spotlight and deleted the index. (hostconfig SPOTLIGHT=-NO- and mdutil -i off /, mdutil -E /) Now i get every few minutes a KP...Grrrr. Any suggestions?

Another point is that i can't suspend, i have to shutdown the computer every time. Smartsleep didn't help.

HW: G31M-ES2L, E5200, 4GB RAM
SW: see install-instructions (except installing Chameleon RC1 manually), SnowLeopard 10.6.1

russianbandit 10-01-2009 06:38 PM

I'm a bit confused about the PleaseSleep appliation... I don't have PleaseSleep and my sleep seems to work fine, as in my computer turns itself off in, say 20 minutes. It turns on my fast after this, thus I assume it went to sleep. Am I missing something here?

P.S I have the same board as sk1nhd33t.

mecanoiz 10-01-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 36197)
I posted the verbose message screen. The screenshot attached is right before the machine reboots. I Leopard 10.5.6 installed (ideneb), and had no problems with that install.

Here is what the screen reads:
efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL stringdata
Loaded HFS+ file (Extra/smbios.plist) 943 bytes free from 4237430
Patched DMI Table
Loaded HFS+ file (DSDT.aml) 15508 bytes from 4237430
Patched ACPI version 1 DSDT

Then the machine re-boots.
I am using Chameleon 2 RC2 with EFIv10 boot file.

I recommend the dr. hurt bootloader linked some where in this topic.
I couldn't get my usb to boot with the standard RC1/2/3 or EFI boot files either.
So just restore your SL iso to the USB drive, install the dr. hurts bootloader and put the extensions(USB) folder and others in the extra folder.

rmn87 10-01-2009 08:40 PM

Help w/G31-ES2L SL install

I've followed your guide, installed from USB successfully, booted into fresh SL partition (-v x32), installed Chameleon RC2 package for EFI HFS, copied boot to root, copied Extras to root with com.apple.boot.plist with EFI String for 8600GT 256MB from OSX86 Tools, renamed extensions.

When I then try to boot into the drive with -v x32, it kernel panics. I don't understand, this has happened twice on me after another fresh install and then isntalling chameleon.

any help/suggestions?

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rmn87/KP.jpg

G31M-ES2L rev2.0
4gb DDR2800
C2D E8400
eVGA 8600gt 256mb

sk1nhd33t 10-02-2009 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russianbandit (Post 36487)
I'm a bit confused about the PleaseSleep appliation... I don't have PleaseSleep and my sleep seems to work fine, as in my computer turns itself off in, say 20 minutes. It turns on my fast after this, thus I assume it went to sleep. Am I missing something here?

P.S I have the same board as sk1nhd33t.

you dont need PleaseSleep because manual and automatic sleep is working for you.. lucky you :)

care to share the rest of your specs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmn87 (Post 36494)
I've followed your guide, installed from USB successfully, booted into fresh SL partition (-v x32), installed Chameleon RC2 package for EFI HFS, copied boot to root, copied Extras to root with com.apple.boot.plist with EFI String for 8600GT 256MB from OSX86 Tools, renamed extensions.

When I then try to boot into the drive with -v x32, it kernel panics. I don't understand, this has happened twice on me after another fresh install and then isntalling chameleon.

any help/suggestions?

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rmn87/KP.jpg

G31M-ES2L rev2.0
4gb DDR2800
C2D E8400
eVGA 8600gt 256mb

recreate an Extensions.mkext and boot in 32bit, looking at your pic it's booting in 64bit. to boot in 32bit use "-x32" for PC-efi or "arch=i386" for RC2/3

eLPhi 10-02-2009 03:56 AM

i have successfully installed 10.5.6 on my G31M-ES2L, can someone tell me if the BIOS settings for 10.5.6 and 10.6 be the same? or someone please post the BIOS settings for 10.6 :)

Bartounet 10-02-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eLPhi (Post 36527)
i have successfully installed 10.5.6 on my G31M-ES2L, can someone tell me if the BIOS settings for 10.5.6 and 10.6 be the same? or someone please post the BIOS settings for 10.6 :)

I haven't had anything to change.

shivpratik 10-02-2009 02:08 PM

Kernal Panic While Installation

Im unable to install snow leopard. When I select the "Install Mac OS X" in Chameleon Bootloader I get the attached screen. I have tried to install in 32bit and 64bit. Both I get the same error. Please Help me out with this.

Im using G31M-ES2L V1.x mobo.
iAtkos Leopard 10.5.7.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2mepsnk.jpg

russianbandit 10-02-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk1nhd33t (Post 36526)
you dont need PleaseSleep because manual and automatic sleep is working for you.. lucky you :)

care to share the rest of your specs?

Yep, PleaseSleep is not running (I do have it installed however) and the normal sleep functions for me. Though sometimes it wakes up by itself. It seems that it may be tied to some program running. It's strange sometimes it'll sleep fine, and sometimes it won't auto sleep and wakes up (in a minute or so) if manual slept. That is why I installed PleaseSleep to see if it would fix this issue, which it did not.

My specs:
GA-G31M-ES2L Rev 1.1
Intel Pentium E5200
Asus 9600 GSO Video Card
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S
Asus WL-138G V2 PCI Wireless card
1 TB Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 HD

Question: I cannot get my CPU temp to display with iStatMenus. It only shows the HD temp. Has anyone gotten CPU temp to display using any app?

simsim 10-02-2009 09:03 PM

I have everything as in the first post and automatic sleep works for me without PleaseSleep as well. 32 and 64 bit both.

Only difference is I don't have a bonjour fix. Weird thing though, if you set Display and Computer to sleep after, say 2 minutes of inactivity, display will sleep at that time but it takes a couple of minutes after that before computer sleeps too.

1 sata drive, apple pro usb keyboard, 7300gt, firewire pci, picopsu.

OK, tested a bit more and it seems to just work now and again :-)

Sileem 10-02-2009 09:50 PM

Don't upgrade your bios, I upgraded to F10 and now my ethernet does not work, even with the ethernetbuiltin put in the boot.plist

Edit: Help, Everything worked fine with the Beta F9 Bios, but now ethernet does not work even when I downgrade to F9 (final) bios. Im going to try the F8 bios, but does anyone know if theres any solution?

russianbandit 10-02-2009 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simsim (Post 36588)
Weird thing though, if you set Display and Computer to sleep after, say 2 minutes of inactivity, display will sleep at that time but it takes a couple of minutes after that before computer sleeps too.

I see this too. It's almost like the sleep timer for computer starts after the Display goes to sleep. So say if you have 2 minutes set for sleep for both Display and Computer, Computer will go to sleep after 4 minutes. This is just a theory, not totally positive on this.

lazyfly 10-03-2009 12:32 AM

hey guys,
looking into buying the board, but i'm not really sure if 5.1 multichannel audio is working?!

I read that S/pdif is not working, but what about analog multichannel?

thx,
lazy
ps: awesome guide, thx so much!!

bubuli 10-03-2009 06:09 PM

Audio for ES2L v2.x board

Quote:

Originally Posted by L8nitehackin (Post 34452)
@sk1nhd33t

I did verify HDEF is listed in DSDT. Now as to whether or not that means I'm ok just because I see it remains to be seen. But I did use the one I got from the first page of this thread with no modifications.. perhaps that's my issue? I've read where you can patch it... but need to research further and see if that would help? I even tried to generate EFI string for HDEF and put in my com.apple.Boot.plist... but still nothing.

Anyway... I'm at a loss as I did go through all your steps and don't seem to be any closer to hearing music?! As I mentioned, sound works flawlessly in 10.5.8.. but I cannot select any device in System preferences / Sound in my SL install. Arrgh..

I've even managed to successfully install 10.5.8 on my Nvidia chipset system which was much more difficult than the gigabyte 10.5.8. ( but haven't tried to put SL on that board yet )

Just as a side note... I have a USB speaker system from Logitech that I decided to plug in just for the heck of it.. and of course it shows up immediately in sound preferences and works great. Now, something else that I haven't tried that may be a possible conflict is I do have a creativesound card installed in one of my PCI slots. I use it when I boot from XP as it's full blown surround for games, movies, etc... perhaps that may be causing some conflicts with my onboard sound? But again.. no issues in 10.5.8.

It's time to take a break for awhile and maybe jump back with a clear mind later. Thnx for everyone's input....

hi L8nitehackin

I also have the version 2.x of the board and I was having the exact same problem: everything working (with a separate NIC, not using the onboard LAN) except SL can't see onboard audio.

the problem I was having was I was using Chameleon 2RC2...i switched to RC3 and used the kexts and DSDT.aml posted by sk1nhd33t and voila! WE GOTZ AUDIO LOLZ!

to recap:

- use the kexts provided by sk1nhd33t
- use the DSDT.aml (patched with HDEF already) by sk1nhd33t
- use Chameleon 2.0 RC3

all three are crucial to have on board audio working for ES2L v2.x boards

Hope this helps!!

infinitemac community rules! sk1nhd33t's guide is awesome! i would have never managed to build my Hackint0sh without his guide! Ayos ka talaga, tsong! (translation: You're alright, brother!) :-)

ju421019 10-03-2009 10:28 PM

I need some help, I installed snow leopard using a lifehacker guide, but cant install any kexts using Osx86 Tools.

I don't get any sound, i dont see any output device in sound preferences.

Using 10.5.8 i was able to install sound kext but why isnt working in snow leopard.

what tool do i use to install kexts?

justtemp 10-03-2009 11:58 PM

Installation on G31M-ES2L with geforce 7300 GS - success

Hi,
Using a bought copy of the upgrade disk I managed to use your tutorial to upgrade a working ideneb install to snow leopard! Thank you SO MUCH, you are the greatest!!

Some things:
1. adding EFI means adding a long list of digits to the com.apple.Boot.plist and it is based on your graphics card. I used "EFIStudio" , entered my EFI in the file (which you later copy from the USB to the HD in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist)
2. the UUID of my computer (you can find it in "apple->about this mac->more info->hardware under "hardware UUID") was already in the plist when I opened it, which brings us to:

3. I did not do exactly as written here. this tutorial is for a new install and I upgraded a current install, somehow it worked (maybe because I was based on ideneb to begin with?), after installing from USB I booted from the USB again but chose the HD I upgraded. the OS started ok (no video :-( ) but could not install chameleon for some reason. I didn't get it installing until now.. but I can boot from the HD now (after copying all of the Extra/ and boot files and changing as written in first post) and now the OS works.. so I don't know what was that chameleon failed to install all about.

Anyway, thank you so much for the howto, I really admire all you people taking the time to make this possible!!

ju421019 10-04-2009 04:21 AM

my sound output/input are showing no devices - any help? Thanks

ju421019 10-05-2009 01:44 AM

I have the same problem, no audio devices are showing up, can anyone help?

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by checkitout (Post 36303)

I migrated my Leopard account, so maybe that caused an issue. I think I may just have to totally wipe the drive and completely start from scratch.

If someone would be so kind as to create a new zip with the currently recommended solution, I would greatly appreciate it as well.

[email protected] 10-05-2009 02:58 AM

drossxyu Has the sound fix

Quote:

"drossxyu
Puma

For those of you that are still having trouble getting the sound to work I was able to get it to work by doing the following as provided by djnitehawk on thisthread (check out his awesome automation script while you're at it):

1. get rid of all other sound kexts that u have added, from both /E/E and /S/L/E

2. download the latest voodoohda and extract it...

3. copy voodoohda.kext to /S/L/E and run the following commands in terminal to fix repair permissions and rebuid mkext caches...

sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions
sudo diskutil repairpermissions /volumes/NAMEOFSNOWVOLUME
sudo touch /system/library/extensions

4. install the voodoohda pref pane by double-clicking on it...

5. reboot and pray to the hackintosh gods :-)

I have a G31M-ES2L Rev.2. I was never able to get the legacy883.kext to work, nor the other two separate sound .kexts. Since I have the Rev. 2 the ethernet port never worked either so I decided to purchase the apple usb ethernet adaptor. It says it's supposed to be for the macbook air only but it works fine. For some reason it didn't work right off the bat. I had to go into the network control panel to 'activate' it. I'm dual booting w\ windows 7 so luckily there is a windows driver for this device here, although I have yet to test "

The fix by drossxyu is what worked for me. I tried everything. And I mean everything. This is the ONLY sound fix that worked,
You must remove any and all other HDA's from /extra and s/l/e. Rebuild and reset permissions.

Anyone that has sound problems should try this fix.

I have a g31m-es2l v1.1 F8 with a pentium D 950.

After 1 week, I finally have snow leopard with working sound.

[email protected] 10-05-2009 03:00 AM

Try this fix for no sound

Quote:

Originally Posted by ju421019 (Post 36727)
I have the same problem, no audio devices are showing up, can anyone help?

thanks

See my response right below yours! Maybe it will help.

ju421019 10-06-2009 03:52 PM

Thanks - I will try this audio trick on a fresh install again tonight.

Or can I do it on my existing install, I think i added several kexts to get it work, where is the path to remove them?

What are these paths? "get rid of all other sound kexts that u have added, from both /E/E and /S/L/E"

1. I found the the link to the voodoohda file and pane.

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/inde...pic,234.0.html

Thanks!

dmbardal 10-06-2009 09:24 PM

I got an question.
I have successfully installed Snow Leopard using your way,
but I changed my GeForce 9600GT for an ATI HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 simply because its better, and I know it works on 10.6.1.

However, when I did that, I got the following error:
"AppleRTL8169 phywaitforautonegotiation timeout"

I have googled, and I have no idea how to fix it.
I did also try to use the USB-Installer and boot to install another one, because I thought it was because of the GFX change,
but that doesnt work either..
I have also tried to do "n" instead of "y" on the useethernet string, but nothing.
I have tried to remove the GFX String, nothing.
I have tried to remove all the NVIDIA kexts (NVxxxx.kext), still nothing.
Same result.

Any chance for a hint in the right direction, or an direct answer? :p

- Dag Magnus

Edit: I removed the NVIDIA kext from the installer, the ATI kext, and added an modified ATI Kext and my installer now works.
But when I install and try to run the newly installed Snow Leopard, it stops at the same problem.
I dont know what I am supposed to do now, I am completely lost!

mamexp 10-06-2009 11:50 PM

I couldnt read all the post so please forgive me if its already answered

Were you guys able to get the onboard graphics working? Full resolution and QE support?

If so please give me some sort of a guide or tip....

Thanks in advance

gashead76 10-07-2009 04:47 AM

Dsdt...

Ok, I am for the most part new to dsdt patching.. Here's my problem.

I used the dsdt.aml from the snow.zip. Install goes great, boots up great. Only, I have no networking at all! I have an asus 138g-wl wireless pci card (I think that's it, works well in 10.5). My board is the ES2L version 2, so I know that builtin Ethernet does not work.

Anyway, if I remove the dsdt.aml from the zip in this guide and replace it with the one I was using for 10.5 (just the rtc fix), network starts right up.. But I lose the fixes in the new dsdt! Like, the CMOS reset fix, sound, etc..

Any suggestions? I looked at the decompiled versions of the old versus the new, I have no idea what I am looking at though.

Thanks.

sk1nhd33t 10-07-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamexp (Post 36853)
I couldnt read all the post so please forgive me if its already answered

Were you guys able to get the onboard graphics working? Full resolution and QE support?

If so please give me some sort of a guide or tip....

Thanks in advance

AFAIK it's not working so buy a cheap video card like the 9500GT or higher.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gashead76 (Post 36856)
Ok, I am for the most part new to dsdt patching.. Here's my problem.

I used the dsdt.aml from the snow.zip. Install goes great, boots up great. Only, I have no networking at all! I have an asus 138g-wl wireless pci card (I think that's it, works well in 10.5). My board is the ES2L version 2, so I know that builtin Ethernet does not work.

Anyway, if I remove the dsdt.aml from the zip in this guide and replace it with the one I was using for 10.5 (just the rtc fix), network starts right up.. But I lose the fixes in the new dsdt! Like, the CMOS reset fix, sound, etc..

Any suggestions? I looked at the decompiled versions of the old versus the new, I have no idea what I am looking at though.

Thanks.

it's always recommended to create your own DSDT, ive attached my own dsdt for comparison only but w/ the same board it can still be used. please check the credits on page 1, all the fixes are there and linked (audio, RTC, EHCi). You can use DSDT SE by Evoteam for simple copy paste patching or you can use other tools out there using the newer iASL sept. version :)

ju421019 10-07-2009 10:21 PM

Hi - this is a noob question

How do install the dsdt.aml file?

I ask this because I installed Snow Leopard using the lifehacker guide for another gigabyte board, it works fine, except some things like audio.

Now, I know there is a dsdt file in this guide, how can I apply it to my install?

Thanks!

MonkeyDLuffy 10-08-2009 08:16 PM

Can anybody run Voodoopower.kext in 64-bit? It only works in 32-bit which I think is normal. But I want to run in full 64-bit and at the same time save power.

Is there any other way to run Speedstep buy not using Voodoopower? Or maybe anybody has a 64-bit version or a work around to make Voodoopower work.

Thank you.

UPDATE:

I found the answer to my question but I'm not 100% sure it works. It looks like it works though.

I just went ahead and read this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=181631

Scroll down at the 1st post you will see the link for CPUi.

I DID NOT follow any DSDT/SSDT modification with regards to CPU speedstep. I just installed the CPUi app and that is it. I just made sure that Voodoopower.kext is not available in /E/E or /S/L/E.

The reason why I'm not sure it's 100% is because of the program that netkas made, cpu-x, doesn't recognize the speed change. But the CPUi app itself does. I don't know where cpu-x fetches the info, but with Voodoopower.kext + cpu-x, cpu speed changes are recognized, but 32-bit only.

The CPUi works in both 32 and 64bit. - SLEEP works, but it is harder to wake up - more keys needs to be pressed. AUTOSLEEP does not work.

UPDATE: It was not hard to wake up from sleep. I just thought it was. Sorry.