InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   DELL D620/630/830 kext pack (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3840)

slic 02-13-2010 11:44 PM

Hi the installer is not a combo updater.
You must remove ALL old kexts and then install kextpack.

or remove only problematic kexts (see readme).

howoarang 02-14-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnknsd (Post 44940)
Do you have a osx 10.6.2 updated version of your d63c/d630/d830 kext installer? When I use your installer to update all of the kexts on my install for a d630, I get a kernel panic about the kernel and cpu not being the same version. Or any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sent you a pvt msg too...

Thanks

Maybe you have some other kernel. You need original vanilla kernel from original Mac OSX Snow DVD, not from SnowOSXUniFlash1.0.

stephens 02-19-2010 05:55 AM

Has anyone tried using these kexts with the non-Mac boot method that r0m30 documented on insanelymac? I was able to create the HFSPlus partitions with all the necessary bits, created my own DSDT.aml (caveats to this, btw!), and com.apple.Boot.plist file(s). Zero luck so far.

I've tried everything with my d830, and even with an external monitor, I can't get past where it starts the GUI for the install. I've got the dreaded Intel GMA965 and even using an external monitor, it only coughs up purple/pink horizontal lines. I tried just about every GraphicsMode known, from 800x600x16 to 1920x1200x32 -- with various incarnations of the same result.

Someone please tell me I won't need another Mac to do this!

I'm confident that once I get booted into the install, I can make everything work, but this is just absurd!

Just as a note, when booting back into the parted magic USB key, I have to run fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda2 (the partition that I have my chameleon installed on) before mounting it to make changes.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

slic 02-19-2010 09:45 PM

hi stephens,
the horizontal lines causes dsdt fix for intel gma.
My external monitor working perfectly only without dsdt (im using sleep trick).

stephens 02-19-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slic (Post 45254)
hi stephens,
the horizontal lines causes dsdt fix for intel gma.
My external monitor working perfectly only without dsdt (im using sleep trick).

So you installed without DSDT.aml in your root partition or /Extra folder?

Also, what is this sleep trick?

Is this where you let it just 'sit' for 10 minutes or more, then wake it up?

After it's installed, is it possible to boot straight to the LCD panel without the need for an external monitor?

stephens 02-20-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephens (Post 45262)
So you installed without DSDT.aml in your root partition or /Extra folder?

Also, what is this sleep trick?

Is this where you let it just 'sit' for 10 minutes or more, then wake it up?

After it's installed, is it possible to boot straight to the LCD panel without the need for an external monitor?

Ok, so I've tried a few more things, without success thus far, but some progress.
  1. I edited my DSDT and recompiled, removing all the AGP sections, as well as the CRT, DVI and TV subsections from the VID device. I removed the AGP device completely, as well as its scope. While I was in there, I also yanked out all the nasty code from the TPM device, as I figure it's not necessary anyway.
  2. I am using the X3100 and X3100FB modified kexts and removed the Apple supplied ones. I'm not sure if this is helping or hurting, but the results is the same.

Thus, now when I boot, using 1920x1200x32 (Yes, my LCD supports this resolution), it gets to the GUI part of the installer and it is a black blank screen, but it is at least back-lit.

I'm wondering if I can use the default Apple VESA drivers to install with and worry about the X3100 after installation -- is this possible?

speedcat1995 02-28-2010 09:14 AM

Am i dumb?

Am I that dumb? I cant find the download for the Pack!?
Could someone tell me where it is???

Question: With Monitor Dimming... do you mean the Ambient Light 'Sensor is working???

itry2hide 03-02-2010 01:53 AM

I'm a noob - need a little help

So, I have a dell D630 with the intel GMA965 - is that the X3100? It sounds to me like you installed this to an external drive on a Mac, then used the drive to boot the D630. You then installed to the D630?

Is there a step by step procedure somewhere?

FYI, I've installed SL on a D620. For most of these, I've used A preset up bootloader that I can install to my USB drive with SL retail install DVD imaged on it.

EDIT: Somehow I got this up and running. Stable and fast.

EDIT #2 - OK, I finally bit the bullet and installed VoodooHDA and Fakesmc (new version) in the /E/E folder. Pretty stable right now. two problems: Jumpy trackpad and no sound input.

FYI - I'm running Crossover for the few Windows apps I need. Kinda weird - Office 2007 (for XML parsing)->WinXP->Crossover->Snow Leopard->on a Dell. Plays with the mind a little.

Thanks

diablo99 03-03-2010 05:12 AM

USB is still a problem

I first want to say great stuff here. By far the most centralized resource for getting my d630 up and running on SL.

I have read through every post so far and found solutions to all my problems. The one issue that seems outstanding is USB ports working. I have found that my USB ports seem to be somewhat randomly working.

Most of the time the two ports in the back work. Occasionally it will change and one in the back will work and only one on the side will work. It's a big deal because I use external keyboard and mouse as well as an external HD.

My main question here is: Which specific kext file is responsible for USB ports? I haven't seen solid documentation of this anywhere. I would love to know which kext file i should be trying different versions of to resolve this issue.

Thanks for any help.

stephens 03-03-2010 07:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just an update on my d830 (Bios A15) with the Intel x3100 and a 1920x1200 screen. This is running a Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Vanilla kernel and Chameleon 2.0 RC4.

I've got almost everything working, some without kexts even. This is possibly one of the nicest laptops to use with Snow Leopard
  • Sleep, by power button or clamshell close, works -- natively, no kext. When you open the display, it wakes perfectly.
  • Restart and Halt work exactly as they should -- using OpenHaltRestart.kext, but will test without
  • P and C states work when on battery, battery life goes to 3.5 hours immediately and openssl speed tests confirm a seriously degraded performance, ha! No NullCPUPowerManagement.kext required.
  • Audio works using the legacy9205.kext, including headphone out, line in, built-in Mic
  • PS2 keyboard/trackpad/trackpoint all work beautifully using the ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext (must reside in /S/L/E)
  • Display dimming works not only with the Fn keys, but also with the slider under Display Properties
  • Battery display works using AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext
  • gigabit ethernet works, including WOL using AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext
  • Bluetooth works natively
  • Volume up/down/mute work natively, as does the power button for sleep
  • I flashed a Dell 1390 (BCM4311) and also a BCM4328 with Apple Device IDs so now it recognizes either as an Airport Extreme.

I'm still having issues with the rear CRT port.. if I press Fn-F8 to switch from the internal LCD to mirror to CRT, it scrambles the video and I can't fix it. Perhaps setting up a hot corner for 'sleep' would do the trick, but I think a simple display re-init in the DSDT if I can find what function governs that flip back and forth would also do the trick. Feel free to contribute here...

The only other thing I can think of is migrating everything to 64 bit, but that shouldn't be hard. The only device drivers I'm using are the Broadcom ethernet, PS2 keyboard/mouse and legacySTAC9205. The rest should be fine, but I'll test soon enough anyway.

So, how to do all this?

SERIOUS DSDT modifications. I'm going to attach my current DSDT for others to use, but do NOT take it thinking that it will 'just work' on your laptop. You'll need to have a Latitude D830 with Bios Revision A15, x3100 (965 chipset) video, and a 1920x1200 panel.. otherwise, I can't guarantee *anything*.

P.S. When I say SERIOUSLY modified, I'm not joking. I have added and removed devices, hacked up IRQs, put in different OSID checks, changed device names, timers, and even IDs. Do not take this as a panacea for all your laptop compatibility woes, but do take it as proof that you can get very close to native operative performance with just about any laptop if you are persistent enough and willing to read ACPI specs. No really, go get the document to read about what you don't understand BEFORE asking questions.

P.P.S. I also am using a custom /boot file. I'll include that as well. PC-EFI 10.6 does NOT initialize the x3100 correctly!

P.P.P.S. Quick lists of kexts in /Extra/Extensions
Code:

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext
AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext
IOATAFamily.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
fakesmc.kext
legacySTAC9205.kext

And in /System/Library/Extensions:
Code:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext

And my /Extra/smbios.plist file:
Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>SMbiosdate</key>
        <string>20/09/2009</string>
        <key>SMbiosversion</key>
        <string>MB31.008E.B02</string>
        <key>SMexternalclock</key>
        <string>200</string>
        <key>SMfamily</key>
        <string>MacBook</string>
        <key>SMmanufacter</key>
        <string>Apple</string>
        <key>SMmaximalclock</key>
        <string>2000</string>
        <key>SMmemspeed</key>
        <string>667</string>
        <key>SMmemtype</key>
        <string>19</string>
        <key>SMproductname</key>
        <string>MacBook3,1</string>
        <key>SMserial</key>
        <string>G87399530P1</string>
        <key>SMsystemversion</key>
        <string>1.24f2</string>
</dict>
</plist>

And my /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist file:
Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>Boot Banner</key>
        <string>No</string>
        <key>DSDT</key>
        <string>/Extra/dsdt/dsdt-0.9.aml</string>
        <key>Default Partition</key>
        <string>hd(0,2)</string>
        <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>ForceWake</key>
        <string>Yes</string>