InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Mountain Lion 10.8 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Searching components for new Intel Core i5/i7 system (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=7932)

naquaada 01-14-2013 10:38 AM

Searching components for new Intel Core i5/i7 system

Hi there!

like the title says, I'm searching things for a new system. I'm still using the same AMD Opteron 185 systems, 5 years after the forum was founded. They still work fine, upgraded to USB3 and SATA6, but the main problem is the software. Leopard support is dropping more and more, there's no actual Flash for a long time, YouTube is slow as hell. The missing SSSE3 command set and virtualization technology is also a problem. So a new hardware setup is neccessary.

The problem is, I have no idea what is actual today ;) The last things I know are the Core i7 and the i5, but I don'tknow how many cores and GHz are possible. Because I stopped with Osx86 installations at 10.6, I have no big knowledge about the Chameleon 2 bootloader and its /Extra folder, the experiments I made on my Thinkpad x61t with Snow Leopard and Lion were much more frustrating than any of the other OSx86 setups I made.

I need a system which is fully Mountain Lion capable, most usages are for audio editing and video compressing. For Logic my 2.95 GHz Dual-Opteron is fast enough, but video compression is very slow. So, I first need some infomation about the Core i processor series, what's the difference between the i5 and i7? What model (cpu-cores/GHz) has a moderate price? Is it still so that nVidia graphic cards are better supported, or doesn't matter if it's an ATI card? A silent graphic card would be ideal. What board manufaturers are common now? On Socket 775, the Gigabyte boards were used rather often, what's common on the i series? Ideal would be a board with more than one PCI slot and an onboard serial port.

By the way, is the Disk Utility compatible to Advanced Format harddrives now? Version 10.5 is not, I had to calculate partitions manually.

I'd appreciate your help.

Greets, naquaada.

Lacedaemon 02-07-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naquaada (Post 59294)
Hi there!

like the title says, I'm searching things for a new system. I'm still using the same AMD Opteron 185 systems, 5 years after the forum was founded. They still work fine, upgraded to USB3 and SATA6, but the main problem is the software. Leopard support is dropping more and more, there's no actual Flash for a long time, YouTube is slow as hell. The missing SSSE3 command set and virtualization technology is also a problem. So a new hardware setup is neccessary.

The problem is, I have no idea what is actual today ;) The last things I know are the Core i7 and the i5, but I don'tknow how many cores and GHz are possible. Because I stopped with Osx86 installations at 10.6, I have no big knowledge about the Chameleon 2 bootloader and its /Extra folder, the experiments I made on my Thinkpad x61t with Snow Leopard and Lion were much more frustrating than any of the other OSx86 setups I made.

I need a system which is fully Mountain Lion capable, most usages are for audio editing and video compressing. For Logic my 2.95 GHz Dual-Opteron is fast enough, but video compression is very slow. So, I first need some infomation about the Core i processor series, what's the difference between the i5 and i7? What model (cpu-cores/GHz) has a moderate price? Is it still so that nVidia graphic cards are better supported, or doesn't matter if it's an ATI card? A silent graphic card would be ideal. What board manufaturers are common now? On Socket 775, the Gigabyte boards were used rather often, what's common on the i series? Ideal would be a board with more than one PCI slot and an onboard serial port.

By the way, is the Disk Utility compatible to Advanced Format harddrives now? Version 10.5 is not, I had to calculate partitions manually.

I'd appreciate your help.

Greets, naquaada.

Hi,

Here's my build, maybe you can get some inspiration from it! ^_^ http://www.osx86.net/showcase/21087-...osh-build.html

Good luck!

LawlessPPC 02-08-2013 10:40 AM

long time no see Naquaada. I went the intel route along time ago im on an i7 860 (4cores @ 2.8ghz) with a gigabyte board along time ago. Ive never looked back i got sick of patching this and that. As a small example i encode 8 flacs to vbr mp3 at the same time in secs with xld. Ive never done anything that makes my system feel slow even with few virtual system open on fusion. Ive 4gb of memory as well. The only single gripe i have is trying to find a nic that will do jumbo frames properly. Im still on 10.6.8 but im considering updating heres my specs and ignore my seriously outdated signature :-

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Clarksfield/Lynnfield DMI (rev 11)
00:03.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Clarksfield/Lynnfield PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 11)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Clarksfield/Lynnfield System Management Registers (rev 11)
00:08.1 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Clarksfield/Lynnfield Semaphore and Scratchpad Registers (rev 11)
00:08.2 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Clarksfield/Lynnfield System Control and Status Registers (rev 11)
00:08.3 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Clarksfield/Lynnfield Miscellaneous Registers (rev 11)
00:10.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation QPI Link (rev 11)
00:10.1 System peripheral: Intel Corporation QPI Routing and Protocol Registers (rev 11)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak USB Universal Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak USB Universal Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak USB Universal Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak High Definition Audio (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 05)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev 05)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak USB Universal Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak USB Universal Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak USB Universal Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak USB Universal Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev a5)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak LPC Interface Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak SMBus Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G94 [GeForce 9600 GT] (rev a1)
02:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. 20360/20363 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)
02:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technology Corp. 20360/20363 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
04:03.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)