InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   10.X (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   AnV Qoopz based Darwin 10.2.0 kernel 32/64-bit (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=5082)

RetroRen 01-02-2010 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackknight (Post 42255)
Hey RetroRen,

You know how we had to downclock our processors to 3.0GHz to get them to work? Well, I have a kernel you can use with 10.6.2 if you want which will allow you to theoretically overclock to 6GHz with OSX still booting (Assuming your computer actually can work at that speed, lol). I could probably adapt my change to get it to work with leopard too. Let me know if you're interested.

PS.
My mod doesn't automatically make your Phenom capable of overclocking to 6 GHz, it adjusts the cap in the OSX kernel so that whatever your Phenom is running at will work in OSX.

Fantastic, I would appreciate it. My Phenom x2 goes to 4 GHz with stock voltage, but I never use it that way. I'm planning to completely switch to 10.6 soon, so I dont need it for 10.5, if you have a 10.6.2 kernel, that would be just great :)

eMatoS 01-03-2010 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Andy, this is a great improvement, I could boot in 64bits with my athlon64 3000+ (SSE3). Although I could only run some apps and the rest crashes instantly. I'm attaching a crash log if you need it. Now I'm testing it in 32 bits mode and so far so good.

blackknight 01-03-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackknight (Post 42218)
Ok, so I fixed this myself. I can only vouch for phenoms so far as I don't have any Intel machines to test on, but by multiplying the EFI detected FSB Frequency by 2, the kernel correctly identifies the FSB speed as 200MHz and even successfully passes TSC verification. The busratio is also correctly identified as the multiplier entered in the BIOS. Now I no longer need to manually set the FSB speed in my Boot.plist.

Ok, so I went another step further and made a check to see whether the processor is a Phenom or Shanghai processor and only double the FSB if it is. Intel should still be good to use my kernel (though I haven't tested it). I posted a new thread with my kernel as I don't want to hijack Andy's thread. You can visit it here: http://www.infinitemac.com/f36/anv-q...-phenom-t5112/

never_mind 01-04-2010 11:21 AM

Hi Andy!

Thank you for your version of the kernel, great! :)

Running this on my P4/SSE2 only :)

Looks like date/time is working better with this one, time seems right now, and now viewable in menu bar, date partly ok too, but the callender is not complete yet. Improvement over previous kernels I tried! :)

Still I have some issues like:
- high cpu for some processes (e.g. Finder/Launchd, hditutil) at some point (some ok after restart of process with killall)
- Safari hangs (using firefox/chrome instead)
- Apps that install via "installer" (graphical one) don't install (installer hangs) (workaround, installer via terminal)
- crashes/KP of app(s) ,like Notify, a gmail notifier, that KPs and reboots after clicking icon in the menu bar
- date/time can't be set/shown via system preferences

Anyone else running on P4/SSE2 only? :)

Don't say its old, I know, otherwise it wouldn't be any fun ;-)

Thank you again!

Your humble user/tester, Never Mind :)

RetroRen 01-05-2010 12:17 AM

Tried this kernel but it doesnt work for me.

I put system.kext that Andy provided with kernel in S/L/E and installed the kernel but my boot just stops. When I try to boot to safe mode i get KP.

This is where my boot stops:
http://www.imagesforme.com/thumb/thumb_b2e5d91c.jpg

m3s_4ev3r 01-05-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetroRen (Post 42418)
Tried this kernel but it doesnt work for me.

I put system.kext that Andy provided with kernel in S/L/E and installed the kernel but my boot just stops. When I try to boot to safe mode i get KP.

This is where my boot stops:
http://www.imagesforme.com/thumb/thumb_b2e5d91c.jpg

I don't see the KP? :rolleyes:

RetroRen 01-05-2010 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3s_4ev3r (Post 42420)
I don't see the KP? :rolleyes:

I didnt intend to post KP from safe mode, I would like to figure out why my boot just hangs on normal boot.

Anyway, on my KP from safe mode there is no real info, just the name of kernel.

kocoman 01-26-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by never_mind (Post 42352)
Hi Andy!

Thank you for your version of the kernel, great! :)

Running this on my P4/SSE2 only :)

Looks like date/time is working better with this one, time seems right now, and now viewable in menu bar, date partly ok too, but the callender is not complete yet. Improvement over previous kernels I tried! :)

Still I have some issues like:
- high cpu for some processes (e.g. Finder/Launchd, hditutil) at some point (some ok after restart of process with killall)
- Safari hangs (using firefox/chrome instead)
- Apps that install via "installer" (graphical one) don't install (installer hangs) (workaround, installer via terminal)
- crashes/KP of app(s) ,like Notify, a gmail notifier, that KPs and reboots after clicking icon in the menu bar
- date/time can't be set/shown via system preferences

Anyone else running on P4/SSE2 only? :)

Don't say its old, I know, otherwise it wouldn't be any fun ;-)

Thank you again!

Your humble user/tester, Never Mind :)

I think most of the beachballing is from the 64bit not supported?

I also have the same problem as you, I fixed the "time" problem (if you type "date" on the terminal, you should still see the time) by making sure internet works, then go to the time & date page, it would say ie: December-0001, and the clock is stuck at 12:00. Then just keep uncheck and check the "auto time update", if it connects to the time server then the time problem will get fixed. (works even after reboot)

I also have the same other beachball problems as you. but no panic in dashboard.

the high cpu is also driving me mad...

xcode installs after the "time fix" but does not 'execute' the programs after complie (beachball..)
Apple Remote desktop installs, but when connect to client it beachballs..

chrome's chrome helper also have high CPU usage?, google search button does not work.
firefox is fine but the colors are less, like 256..

TheNoxier 01-26-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kocoman (Post 43833)
I think most of the beachballing is from the 64bit not supported?

No, on 32bit only real macs there is no beachballing, i guess it's a problem with the SSE3 emulation.

kocoman 01-26-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNoxier (Post 43836)
No, on 32bit only real macs there is no beachballing, i guess it's a problem with the SSE3 emulation.

I thought that are "Core" machines (when Apple went from PPC to Intel), was 64bit PAE supported... so they forcing 64bit is not a problem on their offcial intel machines. but I think you are referring to this:
Quote:

The Core Solo and Core Duo chips are 32-bit designs.
there seem to be a kernel/system.kext wars... there are so many different 10.0.0 and 10.2.0 kernels out there, but none of them work on sse2...

I want to also add, for my last reply about the clock, it disappeared after a reboot again.Iam not sure if its related to the smbios.plist?

I think it also happens in 10.6.0 too before I updated. (I don't really remember now, but will revert to 10.5 for the time being)

The "Unmounting" also not work for the usb stick.. and then the "Examaning Available Disks" when installing apps. too bad I can't get gdb to load, or else I could debug the code that causes it..

pic of the time problem:
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3972/timeerr.th.png

even the iCal button is blank