InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

lflashl 01-08-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrsurf (Post 42639)
Thanks for the links. When I go into reset password from the installer there is only a root admin, so it seems the setup is not finishing completely. I was wondering if you have to log in the first time to complete the setup. Also, I can't seem to boot into safe mode. At what point in the boot process should I hold apple/s? After Chameleon, before grey screen with My Hack logo? I've tried multiple places, but no luck. Every time I restart it just goes back to welcome screen. Welcome video looks nice, but I'm kind of sick of it!

I can boot into safe mode, but I still can't login. I can't boot into single user mode. I'm using an old macally keyboard that is slightly different than current layout. Maybe new keyboard tomorrow. Then re-install I guess.

yea it sounds like it did not complete the first user account after a fresh install, sounds like you will need to create a new user account. To get into safe mode you need to type in -x [ENTER] and this will get you into safe mode.

barrsurf 01-08-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lflashl (Post 42647)
yea it sounds like it did not complete the first user account after a fresh install, sounds like you will need to create a new user account. To get into safe mode you need to type in -x [ENTER] and this will get you into safe mode.

Is there a way to create a user account from the install disk or terminal? I've re-installed and same problem. It's connecting to the internet fine during setup. I can access utilities from the install disk and most everything seems okay, at least as far as I know. I tried migration asst, but no luck.

Thanks

The disk osx is installed on is NOT owner enabled. Could this be the problem?

lflashl 01-09-2010 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrsurf (Post 42683)
Is there a way to create a user account from the install disk or terminal? I've re-installed and same problem. It's connecting to the internet fine during setup. I can access utilities from the install disk and most everything seems okay, at least as far as I know. I tried migration asst, but no luck.

Thanks

The disk osx is installed on is NOT owner enabled. Could this be the problem?

try reading this. http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...30603190314390

barrsurf 01-09-2010 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lflashl (Post 42690)

Thanks, looking at it now. You're a better googler than I am!
During setup I get Welcome video, choose language, choose keyboard layout, Migration page, How Do You Connect,Apple ID, Reg info, create your account, Try MobileMe, Select Time Zone (which I can't), Thank you page with Go button.
I push Go, screen goes dark then login page pops up with Keyboard Setup Assistant (says keyboard not identified). It doesn't matter if I setup keyboard or not, the keyboard works. Then I try to login, but my username is not in the box and I fail. Does everyone go to login from the thank you page. Seems weird to me and I don't remember doing it on Macs.
OK, time for some terminal work.

lflashl 01-09-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrsurf (Post 42693)
Thanks, looking at it now. You're a better googler than I am!
During setup I get Welcome video, choose language, choose keyboard layout, Migration page, How Do You Connect,Apple ID, Reg info, create your account, Try MobileMe, Select Time Zone (which I can't), Thank you page with Go button.
I push Go, screen goes dark then login page pops up with Keyboard Setup Assistant (says keyboard not identified). It doesn't matter if I setup keyboard or not, the keyboard works. Then I try to login, but my username is not in the box and I fail. Does everyone go to login from the thank you page. Seems weird to me and I don't remember doing it on Macs.
OK, time for some terminal work.

why cant you select a time zone? After setup, my system logs in automatic. wht keyboard are you using?

barrsurf 01-09-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lflashl (Post 42701)
why cant you select a time zone? After setup, my system logs in automatic. wht keyboard are you using?

I can't click anywhere in the world map. If I'm online it goes past that page.
I'm using a Macally Mac keyboard. I bought a new one yesterday thinking that may be the problem. I may borrow an Imac keyboard today.
I thought it was strange to restart into the login page. And there are no users available at that page, so setup is not finishing. I tried to add the user in terminal, but I couldn't do it through the install drive, so I plugged it into my MBPro and added it there, but it didn't take. I was in the right drive, but the user was added to my MBPro. Osx is on a 60gb USB drive. I think Ownership enabled, mine is no, may be part of the problem. Otherwise I'm going to wipe the drives and start all over. Could the external drive be the problem?
So close, but yet so far.

zim2dive 01-09-2010 04:11 PM

Wake on LAN options missing?

I can't find the wake on lan options in system preferences... according to

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

they should be on the Energy Save panel.. but I only see

Computer sleep (slidebar)
Display Sleep (slidebar)
Put hard disks to sleep when possible (checkbox)
Allow power button to put the computer to sleep (checkbox)
Start up automatically after a power failure (checkbox)

??

this is using the onboard NIC, rev 1 mobo.

barrsurf 01-09-2010 09:48 PM

Finally a successful install, then KP on upgrade to 10.6.2. "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU...
Trying to track that one down.

dmoore764 01-10-2010 04:34 AM

Problems from the start

I copied the retail SL to USB as stated in the guide (I'm on 10.4), then used the myHack installer exactly as indicated. Now when I try to boot up the target machine (by setting the flash drive as default boot device - under Hard Disk Drive priority) I just get stuck right after "Verifying DMI Pool Data"....

Do I need to create the flash drive on OSX 10.5? What is the format, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? Has anyone else run into this? Thanks in advance.

barrsurf 01-10-2010 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrsurf (Post 42737)
Finally a successful install, then KP on upgrade to 10.6.2. "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU...
Trying to track that one down.

Mostly working. Still get a KP sometimes on re-start, and still trouble with waking. Time machine didn't finish, so maybe trouble there. But looking pretty good right now.

Snow Leopard 10.6.2
MSI X58M
i7 920 @ 3.33Ghz
4 Gb DDR3
BFG GTS 250 OC
60 Gb Ext. USB HDD