InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   10.X (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Asus K50IN (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=4409)

flip360 10-12-2009 11:45 PM

Asus K50IN

GUIDE for the ASUS K Series / OS X 10.6.x / 10.7.x

The ASUS K50/70 notebook is designed to provide a no-frills computing experience to users while on the move. The K Series of notebooks sport the nVidia MCP79 / MCP75 chipsets containing C2D or CD CPU`s along with nVidia GPU`s which makes them a perfect combo for a macbookpro replacement :P After some testing and tweaking, we (the users of this thread) would like to report that the K series of notebooks are quite compatible running vanilla OS X.

WARNING: We DO NOT take ANY responsibility in case of hardware failure or error.

Section A: Install / Post Install method for 10.6.x
Section B: Install method for 10.7.x* *OPTIONAL

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section A1: OS X 10.6.x Install method

Create a OS X USB Installer:

[ PRE-INSTALL AUTOMATOR v1.1 ] http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=185823 USB Install Method for OS X 10.6.x [from OS X]
[ Installing Snow Leopard via USB ] http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26578 USB Install Method for OS X 10.6.x [from Windows]

or use Bughalters K50IN BootCD:

[ ASUS K50IN Boot CD ] http://www.applelife.ru/topic/21601-...in/page__st__0 Installing Mac OS X 10.6 Retail

[ HOWTO Dual Boot ] Install Mac OS X (create 2 partitions, one OS Journaled and the other one FAT, the partition for Windows (later to be reformated to NTFS using Windows installer), remember not to add/remove any partitions using Windows installer - otherwise your partition table may get damaged! When finished install Chameleon using boot0hfs method and that's it, fully working dual boot setup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section A2: Post Install Method (HUGE thanks to man_of_the_oak, check out the DETAILED 5 part tutorial below)

Section B: Install method for 10.8.x *NEW

You can use any of the both methods described in the links:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=256729
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=259068

Archive with modified DSDT and AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext for 10.8.x

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2zkmxu...K50IN_10.8.zip

Thanks to all involved in bringing OS X to the community, happy hackintoshing! :)

Imkantus 10-17-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip360 (Post 37306)
(thanks man) on a GUID partition (the other one is a Windows 7).

So Windows 7 supports beeing installed to GUID schema? (Sorry I just wonder about this, but might be so - I am not that much into using Windows. ;))

Quote:

1. the audio which is working through VoodooHDA but the Bass sounds are useless and there is also a lot of noise, and

I just found this, when reading through the recent topics... - Hope it helps you. :)
http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/solve...ehda-to-t3927/

flip360 10-17-2009 11:35 PM

Hello Imkantus,

As i found out myself too, Windows 7 supports beeing installed to GUID ( i have the 64bit version) :))
I have tried that link that you sent but to no avail, i have built in audio in device profiler but i have grey sound icon on the taskbar and no audio :( The voodooHDA kext i have now recognizes the sound as ALC662 Nvidia MCP79 but still noise and scratches. It seems the kext from the link doesnt have the same outputs mapped as i have :( I have a friend that has the same laptop and he sent me working 10.5 kext that i have no knowledge of translating them to snow leo or 64 bit for that matter. I have searched my dsdt for entering the Hdef Patch but i have no AZAL device or anything simmilar, so...F1 :)

cheers

thorazine74 10-18-2009 04:05 PM

You would need to get a codec dump from your audio hardware to fix the outputs mapped to the wrong ports. Also you could try using this modded version of VoodooHDA by Slice that lets you remap the ports too, it could be easier than patching AppleHDA from scratch.
Also I'm curious too, I was assuming Windows 7 didnt support installing to a GPT partition even in 64 bits variants, what method did you use?

flip360 10-19-2009 12:01 PM

thanks man will try that kext out and try to map my ports also :) Anyway i first formatted my drive with a GUID partition table, two partitions actually on single HDD, one is hfs the other one was FAT32 from within Disk Utility, installed OSX and than Win7 64bit recognized the fat32 partition. I was amazed too when i saw that it works :))

cheers

shawn0694 10-25-2009 05:54 AM

Asus K50IN

I have the same model and components as you and I have been able to get IPC 10.5.6 working but no luck on the graphics card and when I install SL it errors half way through the install and then will not reboot with out kernel panic. any help will be appreciated thanks

flip360 10-25-2009 09:03 PM

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/pre-i...talling-t4041/

first off use this and generate an usb install and then just follow the marks within the script. Afterwards you will need the kexts that i wrote in the first post about and copy them to E/E on the Snow Leo Partition. If you cannot find them let me know and i will upload them somewhere. I used the golden master image of Snow Leo and the script and it turned out to be ok after days of trial and error :) But it works very well as i have tried every other distro available out there, vanilla works best :)

flip360 11-10-2009 05:17 PM

UPDATE: Atheros WiFi is recognized with the new kext from 10.6.2, you just have to add device id :) i just cant seem to connect to any networks and although is shown in system preferences and profile ifconfig gives me this:

en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULT ICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:24:23:0a:05:fe
media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive
supported media: autoselect

and profile gives me this:

en1:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x1089)
Firmware Version: Atheros 9285: 2.1.8.10
Locale: Unknown
Country Code:
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 b/g/n
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Wake On Wireless: Supported

if anyone knows any solution please help :)
cheers

flip360 11-12-2009 07:30 PM

UPDATE: I gave up and installed the Dell 1490 miniPCI (which is very easy to do on my laptop) and BAM working airport OOTB :)) Thanks imkantus for the choice :) The atheros card was recognized but it did not scan for networks or finding any for that matter, so it had to go.

Cheers

RGGG 11-13-2009 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heya,

I just picked up this laptop myself. I've swapped out the wifi, and am planning on loading up snow leopard this weekend. Could you be kind enough to posts the kext's that you used for your installation.

Also have you tried this kext for your realtek card? I've read around and it seems to be working pretty well. Replace your dsdt.dsl in /Extra with the one in the zip file and put the ALC662.kext in /Extra/Extensions. Rebuild the Extensions.mkext in /Extra (if your using Chameleon 2).

Cheers

Ryan

flip360 11-13-2009 03:28 PM

Hello Ryan,

first off, let me tell you this laptop is as vanilla as you can get with hackintosh after swapping the wifi out :) second, i dont think i am using any dsdt, if so i cant seem to find it on my hard disk even with show hidden files script. I updated it to the latest bios from Asus (219 i think) and it seems i dont need dsdt anymore :) Will try this kext out and report back. For installation look at my first post about the USB install method, i am gonna upload the kexts, com.apple.boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist somewhere for you to try :)

Cheers

RGGG 11-13-2009 05:23 PM

Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'll need to make the loader using my MSI Wind tonight. Did you include the kext's while preparing the loader, or did you do those post install?

I wasn't sure about the Realtek kext. I'd only found it while searching for other info on components in this laptop. I think this kext could have come from a different laptop/desktop using this chipset, but it's worth a shot!

Cheers

Ryan

flip360 11-13-2009 05:45 PM

I did not include the kexts in the USB install, just copy NullCPUPowerManagement.kext into E/E afterwards, booting from the USB stick so you dont have KP. I will upload my whole Extra folder so you have fun with it and maybe upgrade something :)

cheers

RGGG 11-13-2009 05:54 PM

Sweet, thanks, I'm really starting to think this laptop is a great choice for OSX (And you can't beat the price either)

Can't wait to get started on this!

Ryan

flip360 11-13-2009 06:45 PM

Nothing to think about it, its running smoothly believe me:) Here you go my Extra folder :)
http://www.mediafire.com/?zutfyyqoon3
have fun :)
cheers

RGGG 11-13-2009 06:52 PM

Thank you, I will keep you posted on how things go!

Cheers

Ryan

flip360 11-13-2009 09:23 PM

Alright man, keep me posted ;)

cheers

filip

mao_red 11-14-2009 01:19 AM

@flip
wow! sweet..your k50in gone too far and now running vanilla snow! :)

im going to try this (again :D)..i stopped the last time i posted,,where our graphics has no luck..

kokozedman 11-14-2009 07:36 AM

Hello flip360,

Thanks for your info, I also got my K50IN with Vanilla. But I have one major problem: the mousepad does not work for me.

I'm now going to use your Extra folder, just to see if it would behave a bit better. :D

Thanks for sharing it.

By the way, have you been able to solve the problem of sound? It sounds horrible. :'(

kokozedman 11-14-2009 06:58 PM

I got the Mousepad working now. I had to use Kext Utility or move the VoodooPS2Controller to the /System/Library/Extensions

What is left, is figure out how to get a proper sound out of the speakers.

RGGG 11-14-2009 10:45 PM

I know this may sound dumb, but its been awhile since my last hackintosh. I will need to use the kext utility to install all the kext's from the extra folder....I just can't copy and paste can I...

Things are ready to go, I just need to find some time!

Cheers

Ryan

kokozedman 11-15-2009 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGGG (Post 39428)
I will need to use the kext utility to install all the kext's from the extra folder....I just can't copy and paste can I...

Yes, you can't just copy and paste the files in the Extensions folder. Ownership and Permissions on the file need to be updated.

If you do copy and paste: make sure that you use the Kext Utility. It will take care of updating these above, and also update the Extensions.mkext also; which is very important if you are using Chameleon 2.

And keep us posted! :D

Before you use the Kexts from flip360, make sure that you have 10.6.2. I found that out the hard way :-d

RGGG 11-15-2009 01:35 PM

Well, I'm running into some issues.

The Chameleon boot loader works fine, and it starts to boot osx. At first I was getting a KP, No HPETS available, incorrect cpumanagement. No Big sweat, I added this kext: http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/pre-i...post34694.html

It seems to get past that now, and starts to load everything else. I can see some Nvidia stuff flashing by, hard drives, even the mac address of the ethernet, and that's where it all goes wrong...

The last line of code I get is something to the effect of "Could not intialize UIM:Timed Out"

After that, it just sits there, no activity at all.

It's gotta be close to working correctly. I should note, that this is a slightly different version of the k50. Its the K60IN, same parts minus the cpu and screen (Intel T4300).

I think it may have to do with AHCI (From what I can read online), so I am going to try a few kexts for that!

Keep you posted!

Ryan

RGGG 11-15-2009 04:54 PM

Heya,

Still no luck with any of the ahci stuff. I am going to try installing it without the graphics enabler. Maybe that is the root of my problem. It hangs just after declaring the modem and ip/mac address.

See my photo here: http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9804/pb142194.jpg

RGGG 11-15-2009 05:21 PM

Quick Update:

I formatted my drive again, and changed NVEnabler to No, and it does boot to the installer now. Funny because I know this is the same gpu chipset as the K50IN.....Installing now, I will keep you up to date!

Edit: Looks like the installer is running in either 1024x768 or 1280x768...its stretched, but not horribly bad....Trackpad also doesn't work, but that looks fixable after install. Main thing I'm worried about is graphics!!!

Ryan

kokozedman 11-15-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGGG (Post 39484)
Quick Update:

I formatted my drive again, and changed NVEnabler to No, and it does boot to the installer now. Funny because I know this is the same gpu chipset as the K50IN.....Installing now, I will keep you up to date!

Edit: Looks like the installer is running in either 1024x768 or 1280x768...its stretched, but not horribly bad....Trackpad also doesn't work, but that looks fixable after install. Main thing I'm worried about is graphics!!!

Ryan

Just a quick question: are you using a patched DSDT? I seem to have this timeout thing and so I tried with an old iPC 10.5.6 (which I heavily used to do the whole installation because it boots with kernel parameter cpus=1 -x -v) to create the DSDT.

Then I have patched it into another Hack computer running 10.5.8. Note that you must find a way to get the DSDT from the computer on which you plan to use the Hack.

I just read today, that it is possible to get the DSDT using a Linux system. For my case, as I have not been aware of that thing before; I have actually been doing things the hard way because I had to make use of the old iPC DVD all the time, and it takes ages to boot up. But I got it installed though.

kokozedman 11-15-2009 05:41 PM

At this time, my Hack is currently usable. The last things that remains to be solved are:
1. Sound; still not working. I'm currently using a USB Sound from Behringer (from my UMX61 master keyboard which also is working fine in 10.6.2 and MainStage from Logic Studio 2.0)
2. Battery indicator. I have used the VoodooBattery from flip360 and it seems to work, but it is not accurate and is very silly on my system. It displays 100% of battery but when the AC Adaptor is removed, then it goes directly to 10% which is not right because the battery is sure to be still full.

flip360, do you have this same issue with yours? It would be great if you could share what you did to solve your problem.

RGGG 11-15-2009 05:51 PM

I used my MSI Wind running leopard to generate the installer usb. It created a dsdt, but it was particular to my Wind, so I deleted it, booted up the installer on my K60IN, and ran the installer script again to generate a new dsdt.

One thing I am a wee bit concerned about is the dsdt. Before i deleted the old dsdt, it reset my bios to stock settings, but I hope that was only because of the wrong dsdt on the laptop. (MSI Wind DSDT on a Asus K60IN)

Have you tried making NVEnabler set to No? I got that time out every time with it Enabled, disabled it works fine!

Okay, its up and working, gotta fix graphics, touchpad, etc. Interestingly, the camera works, but is upside down!!

RGGG 11-15-2009 06:18 PM

Can anyone help me with nvenabler?

This was disabled in Chameleon loader (to get it to boot) and now I'm wondering how to go about installing the kext and getting correct resoultion qe etc...

RGGG 11-15-2009 06:54 PM

Okay, got NVEnabler to work just fine, same with PS2 and Battery (Mine shows 9 percent if I unplug the AC......not a concern since I almost always have it plugged in)

Tried Sleep enabler from the extras folder to no avail, caused a KP and wouldn't boot, even in safe mode. Can anyone help me in disabling sleep alltogether. I remember you could disable sleep on the Acer Aspire One on OSX (I think with a kext) but I can't remember!

All I need now is a nice USB sound card, and I'm set!!

Thanks!

Ryan

kokozedman 11-15-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGGG (Post 39489)
Interestingly, the camera works, but is upside down!!

Same here :-/

flip360 11-15-2009 07:16 PM

well first off, i am happy that you have success with installing OSX on K50.
Its funny that i dont need DSDT patch anymore since upgrading to the latest ASUS BIOS :)
mao_red, the graphic card i have is working through Chameleon Graphic Enabler, and with the Extra files i provided (if you have the same laptop) you should be able to boot 64bit with QE/CI.
Ryan, i dont know if DSDT is the solution to your problems, but there are some fixes in the com.apple.boot.plist for Chameleon, so try that. For HPET try this: http://netkas.org/?p=262. Also you should check if you have apple accelerated or nvidia accelerated system with this: http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/. If not try the NVInject 64bit kext, its working OK.
About sleep, it is enabled on my system but after coming back from sleep my usb and ps2 is not working.
ryan, you should try a different version of sleepenabler, that one is for 10.6.2 only.
Kokozedman, the battery kext from superhai is working excellent here with correct battery meters and no errors when i unplug the power source :)
So the only two things that are left to take care of are: Sound, (maybe solved with new voodoohda release), camera (upside down) and restart/reboot. i can shutdown normally but the other options are not working. ALSO last but not least, always use the kext utility :) I hope i helped a little bit,

Cheers

RGGG 11-15-2009 07:22 PM

Did you have a chance to try that kext I posted earlier about the sound? I'm curious to see if it works. I need to run out for a bit, so I can't try it myself!

Cheers

Ryan

flip360 11-15-2009 07:25 PM

yes i have tried it but had KP with it, i think its because of the dsdt that is not right for my machine, i also tried patching AppleHDA but no luck sofar. You can have some sort of audio output with voodooHDA, try it. :)

kokozedman 11-15-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip360 (Post 39502)
Kokozedman, the battery kext from superhai is working excellent here with correct battery meters and no errors when i unplug the power source :)
So the only two things that are left to take care of are: Sound, (maybe solved with new voodoohda release), camera (upside down) and restart/reboot. i can shutdown normally but the other options are not working. ALSO last but not least, always use the kext utility :) I hope i helped a little bit,

Tell me, are you running in 64-bit mode or 32? I had to try another kext for the battery to work, but the problem now is that I cannot ready any DVD in my drive, if I use the Eject button next to the date on top, it never displays "Open TSSTCorp ..." but always "Close TSSTCorp..." whether the drive is open or not.
The kext name is: AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext (ask nawcom on the chat to give the link, because I forgot where it is)

kokozedman 11-15-2009 08:18 PM

Hmm... strange, the charging is stopping at 94% :-/ but it keeps going high. The orange led is not on anymore though.

It seems to be doing a dummy stuff, maybe ...

kokozedman 11-15-2009 08:26 PM

I've already tried VoodooHDA, but it sounds really weird. I prefer to use the USB output for now ... that is until we get a solution.

Just for info: I can properly Reboot/Shutdown.

My model is: K50IN-SX176C
flip360, may be, your model is different from mine. That is why you can get the VoodooBattery to work, because I also tried it in 64-bit but it didn't work properly.

It has been bought in France, so the Keyboard is AZERTY.

kokozedman 11-15-2009 09:04 PM

I replaced the AppleACPIBatteryManager to 64-bit mode, and now the Battery indicator is working also in 64-bit mode.
I got it from http://www.box.net/shared/yo9zen7n88 ; just make sure that you only take that kext and not use the others. It is taken from a pack of Dell kexts, running 10.6.1 not 10.6.2 like we use now.

Last problems that matters to me: the Sound out of the built-in speakers, and the built-in Atheros wifi.

flip360 11-15-2009 09:54 PM

My laptop has K50IN-SX004L markings so i think its a different model than mine, can you give me your specs, you can check mine from my signature. I am running in 64bit mode, i havent had any problems regarding charging, switching from battery to power adapter and although your kext for the battery worked fine, i prefer the superhai`s version of AppleACPIBattery :) The ALC662 is still "in the works" and for the Atheros WiFi i hate to say but i think that you need to replace it with a working wifi card :( (Check my signature again) The Atheros is recognized in 10.6.2 but its not scanning or finding any networks.

flip360 11-16-2009 12:09 AM

Just a question: what kind of USB audio do you use?

cheers

kokozedman 11-16-2009 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip360 (Post 39526)
Just a question: what kind of USB audio do you use?

I have a Behringer Master Keyboard, model UMX61. It came with a little device that I can connect to my PC, and then it will be recognized as a sound card on both Windows and Mac.

It has RCA output and input, and is actually meant for doing digital recording with Behringer equipment, like the Keyboard or a Audio Mixing table.

kokozedman 11-16-2009 04:11 AM

Mine is just different from yours in CPU, because it is a P7450. But it seems that a lot of things are different, because I have to use DSDT for it to boot, otherwise I get a KP.

RGGG 11-16-2009 04:29 AM

Since this is a vanilla install, I should be able to update to 10.6.2 directly without issue correct? Just backup my kext's and reinstall them if required?

Ryan

kokozedman 11-16-2009 08:23 AM

Yes ... I did just that, and got 10.6.2. It is recommended from the IRC chat that you use a Combo update instead of the built-in updater on the Apple menu.

kokozedman 11-16-2009 10:03 AM

I just patched the AirPortAtheros21.kext and I'm getting the same issue as flip360. I guess Apple should fix this driver on the next release.
I'm going to stay with the wire for now.

flip360 11-16-2009 11:59 AM

I guess we have different setups, i have nVidia MCP79 mobo i think its preety close to the motherboard they used is some of the Apple MacBook`s. Yes you should be able to update it to 10.6.2 with the combo updater no problem just read here:http://netkas.org/?p=315 :) As for the WiFi, i was tired of waiting on Apple guys to make the driver functional, but let me tell you, you are better off with a Broadcom card :)

Buhgalter 11-18-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Hello All,
NVEnabler is working in 32bit mode only for 64bit full QE/CI you have to place NVInject 64bit kext in S/L/E. I have tried EFI Strings for the graphic card but it has Apple renderer only no QE/CI.

Hi! I also have a notebook ASUS K50IN (T4300 2,1 GHz)
Please attach to your message kexts for video.
I have a maximum screen resolution, but video does not work 100%

flip360 11-18-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buhgalter (Post 39663)
Hi! I also have a notebook ASUS K50IN (T4300 2,1 GHz)
Please attach to your message kexts for video.
I have a maximum screen resolution, but video does not work 100%

i dont have kext for the graphic card, Chameleon does the recognizing through Graphic Enabler.
Download the extra file a few posts up and place the com.Apple.Boot.plist in E/E

Cheers

Buhgalter 11-18-2009 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by flip360 (Post 39664)
i dont have kext for the graphic card, Chameleon does the recognizing through Graphic Enabler.
Download the extra file a few posts up and place the com.Apple.Boot.plist in E/E
Cheers

Thnx.
Video works perfectly with this NVEnabler 64.kext.

flip360 11-18-2009 04:03 PM

Yes i know, i just like to keep things clean :)

cheers