InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

zim2dive 12-16-2009 03:55 AM

Ok, I've followed the guide, but am a bit shaky on a few points. I went thru all this with 10.5.6 8 months ago and had it working, but then went a different direction since then, and am just now coming back to the ox86 world, so I'm a little rusty. Please forgive these being basic questions...

I've done the SL install and booted to my SATA drive with success. I have audio and ethernet working.

Question #1: I have an E5200 2.5GHz dual core proc. I'm unclear which smbios I should choose (the iMac I think). I copied the iMac 9,1 folder over from the USB and set SMMAximalclock to 2500, but About this Mac reports 2.57GHz .. is that ok?

Question #2: several places in the guide it mentions that "QE/CI is already activated".. how does one tell under SL?... when I did this with 10.5.6, I _think_ (fuzzy memory) it would tell you under About this Mac/More Info/ Graphics.. but I don't see any indication here (9500 GT).. NOR (as a sanity check) on my MacBook (with 9400M)
EDIT: add, I found this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB6CNs-Zvkw which clearly shows what I would have expected to see.. BUT as I said, even on my 2009 MacBook I don't see that ?!?!?

Question #3: when I was doing this with 10.5.6, the 8400 card I had then was somewhat unsupported (my EFI strings were never the same)... and changing resolution had the potential to render the system useless... is it safe to change resolutions nowadays?

Giving back #1:. I saw several questions about temperature monitoring (and I really wish iStat would work), but "Temperature Monitor" will work (the full version installs an extra driver that does the trick). Cpu Info didn't seem to provide that info for me (recommended elsewhere)
EDIT: has anyone tried FakeSMC? http://netkas.org/?p=338 .. comments suggest varied levels of success.

All in all, this was a MUCH smoother process than when I was cramming 10.5.6 onto this mobo. Many thanks for the guide !!!

zim2dive 12-16-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petejo (Post 40195)
So, I've been trying for a month to get 5.1 Optical working on this board ( v1) without success using a Gigabyte plug-to-M/B adapter.
I can get light from the hole but no audio comes out.

I've had the sysinfo listing it as SPDIF Combo and SPDIF RCA depending on which kexts I'm trying.

I've got 2 channel output from the 3.5mm stereo no problem but I really want 5.1 for Plex.

Has ANYONE managed to get confirmed 5.1 from this board or do I need to upgrade or switch to another platform.....

Cheers for all the information so far!!

Pete

I had digital audio working under 10.5.6 (see link in my sig), altho I was using coax, not optical. I now have 2 G31Ms in the house.. and the gigabyte adapter stayed with the other mobo which is doing duty as HTPC and all-around web/mail server. I have another similar adapter that I picked up out of a junk pile at work which I will get around to trying over the holidays and will post the results.

zim2dive 12-17-2009 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 40049)
This worked for me:
Updated to 10.6.2 but did not restart
I removed sleepenabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions (also placed LegacyALC883.kext in there)
Placed new netkas sleepenabler.kext into /Extra/Extensions
Then i deletedExtensions.mkext from /Extra
Ran Kext Utility from here
Rebooted and everything cool.

Just to add to the notes...

The sleepenabler file at netkas.org doesn't seem to be there after the server crash. I got it from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=196466

In Terminal I cd'd to /Extra/Extensions and did a sudo rm -r -f on SleepEnabler and ran the kext update tool.

In System Update, I did not find a way to install without a reboot??? so I installed and rebooted (reboot to Desktop, and About this Mac reports 10.6.2)

I copied the new sleepenabler into E/E and ran kext util.

But no sound... I went in to the Sound panel and re-selected Internal speakers (I have speakers connected to the green jack on the back) and all is well.

Then applied the 3 new Java/iTunes/something-else updates and rebooted again.

This time however I got a KP, it looks like with (the ISleepEnabler

So I rebooted to the USB installer stick and ran Terminal (from the Utilities menu) removed SleepEnabler and Extensions.mkext (no sudo needed, guess the installer disc runs as root) and then restarted.

I had no sound and no sound options.. so I ran the kext util again... and rebooted again.

So I'm at 10.6.2 with sound, but I guess no sleep for now.

EDIT: I installed fakeSMC 2.5 and re-installed the new sleepenabler. Then ran kext util and rebooted. iStat widget (and iStat menus) now reports temperatures. Sleep is instantaneous and more importantly seems to work too :) (altho I have all the key info not found junk in dmesg)

zim2dive 12-17-2009 02:00 PM

I'm still confused by this comment:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk1nhd33t (Post 31269)
depending on your graphic card you will notice that QE/CI is already activated...

According to Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1582
Quote:

Verifying compatibility with System Profiler This section applies to Mac OS X v10.5 or earlier; as mentioned above, if you use Mac OS X v10.6 or later your Mac is already using Quartz Extreme and Core Image.
Implying that QE/CI is automatic with 10.6, and is not communicated to the user like it was under 10.5.

Under 10.5 installs, yeah, this was one of the 1st things I'd check after install :) (I never got the 8400 I was using to be very stable)

EDIT: I do see other threads where ppl talk about it not being active.. what are the easiest things to check (since it doesn't seem to be listed under System Profiler anymore)

Andy GA 12-17-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zim2dive (Post 41388)
I'm still confused...

EDIT: I do see other threads where ppl talk about it not being active.. what are the easiest things to check (since it doesn't seem to be listed under System Profiler anymore)

To check to see if QE/CI is working, Open your dashboard and add a widget. If you get the bubble effect when it is added, then QE/CI is active.

zim2dive 12-17-2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy GA (Post 41406)
To check to see if QE/CI is working, Open your dashboard and add a widget. If you get the bubble effect when it is added, then QE/CI is active.

I got big ripples on a pond, so I guess its working :)

thanks!

doogles 12-18-2009 12:10 AM

problem

excellent guide followed it
Problem im having now is i can't boot from the HD. It works fine if i boot from usb and point to towards the HD. But when i try to boot just HD it says boo0: GPT boot0: testing boot0:testing boot0: error
I did my reading and everyone says reinstall chameleon. I have done that two diff ways now. The manual way via cmd line, and also using the old RC2 pkg installer and replacing boot with the RC4 version. Trying both those ways resulted in no change, i still get the boot0 error. I would love any insight into this error.
I did just try fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 and set the part active. That also didn't change anything and i got same result of boot0 error.
I would appreciate any help
Thanks!

hibert 12-18-2009 02:54 AM

hi guys

First of all , excellent guide (Y)
Itīs my first post and first OSx86 projekt
everything works fine on my G31M.ES2L but sound dont work.

i am a bit confused on this step , taken from first page

Quote:

- again "command F (Find)" and enter RTC, look for "0x04" below RTC and changed them to "0x02" - this fix is for CMOS Reset
- command F (Find) and enter Azalia, go to dsdtfix file and copy paste "HDEF" to your dsl replacing azalia.. again check my included dsl for reference - this is for ALC883 Audio
- when done and sure everything is correct, hit save or (command S) to save your dsdt.dsl
- to compile it to .aml, drag and drop it (dsdt.dsl) to iAslMe, you'll get 1 warning (PARM under IGD0) but hopefully you have 0 error
- look for Sessions folder and copy dsdt.aml to /Extra of your Snow Leopard
i cant find "RTC with 0x04 & Azalia" in my dsdt.dsl file.
but why ?
what i do wrong ?
please help me :-!

sk1nhd33t 12-18-2009 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibert (Post 41426)
i cant find "RTC with 0x04 & Azalia" in my dsdt.dsl file.
but why ?
what i do wrong ?
please help me :-!

for RTC search for "PNP0B00" instead, you'll end up with this below, change 0x04 to 0x02.

Code:

Device (RTC)
                {
                    Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
                    Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()
                    {
                        IO (Decode16,
                            0x0070,            // Range Minimum
                            0x0070,            // Range Maximum
                            0x00,              // Alignment
                            0x04,              // Length
                            )
                    })
                    Name (ATT1, ResourceTemplate ()
                    {
                        IO (Decode16,
                            0x0070,            // Range Minimum
                            0x0070,            // Range Maximum
                            0x00,              // Alignment
                            0x04,              // Length
                            )
                    })

for Azalia search AZAL or "0x001B0000", change it to hdef by copy pasting the code on the other txt file. Dont forget to add alc883 kext and recreate your mkext after. HTH

Code:

Device (AZAL)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
                Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Return (Package (0x02)
                    {
                        0x05,
                        0x05
                    })
                }
            }

zim2dive 12-18-2009 05:08 AM

FWIW, I get these Xbench results with an E5200 and a single 2G stick of RAM

Overall 144.03
CPU 177.30
Thread 205.34
Memory 161.36
Quartz 225.68
OpenGL 90.05
User Interface 286.73
Disk 77.70

Looking at Mac Mini results as a comparison (figured I'd check against the 2.53 versions), the place where I see wacked better results is on memory and/or disk test.. any idea how folks get those #'s, and/or if they translate into real-usage improvement, or just nicer scores?