InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

sk1nhd33t 01-26-2010 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgates30 (Post 43738)
I did the 10.6.2 combo update from a fresh install. Removed the old sleepenabler and installed the new one before rebooting. Everything seems to work well except I get a message that my external hdd wasn't properly ejected when I wake the computer up. Is there a fix for this?

try using this dsdt or copy/compare to yours. (attached):

note that this dsdt includes mm67 shutdown/USB/Aluminum keyboard fix and best partnered w/ RC4/PC EFI restart fix by asere , cparm, duvel or rekursor (take your pick)..also remove restart/shutdown kext like openhalt or evereboot.

all devices are intact here and no speedstep included.

Souzounaki 01-26-2010 09:03 PM

I cant seem to boot with this method?
I have made the usb numerous times as in the guide.
I even tried booting -v -f.
I get the SL My Hack start up & then just as the apple logo comes on for a split second my Computer resets.
I can install with iDeneb dvd Kalayway etc...
I even tried boot 132, rebel efi, empire efi and all keep rebooting my pc.
I noticed when booting with empire efi I got the following message before reboot. acpi table not found: dsdt.aml
I am using a g31m-s2l with a sata hd & sata dvd. 8500gt graohics.

dencraig 01-27-2010 04:59 AM

10.6.2 upgrade?

I did the upgrade to 10.6.2, but now I don't have a desktop or screen: all blue. I can boot in safe mode using -x, but not in normal mode. The only thing I did to do the upgrade was to remove the sleepenable kext, reboot, then upgrade: but now no worky. Any ideas?

UPDATE: It works using a DVI (Digital) Video output instead of a regular VGA (Analog) video output... weird? I may do a complete reinstall to make sure I didn't muck it up by accident and cause these problems...

vincentmoo 01-28-2010 02:39 AM

G31m-ES2lL Rev 2 (Everythings work fine, but cannot restart , shutdown)

Hi , i am using G31M-ES2L Rev 2 motherboard to install , i am using IPC PPF5 10.5.6 iso to install, because i always hang at somewhere using retail snow leopard installer.
i am using nullcpupowermanagement , openhaltrestart, sleepenabler , it just do't restart/ shutdown. When i click restart , everythings turn off except the cpu light and fan, it don't restart /shutdown. Anyone have idea on how to fix the shutdown/restart issue for G31M-ES2L Rev 2 board ? Please.......

lflashl 01-28-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dencraig (Post 43911)
I did the upgrade to 10.6.2, but now I don't have a desktop or screen: all blue. I can boot in safe mode using -x, but not in normal mode. The only thing I did to do the upgrade was to remove the sleepenable kext, reboot, then upgrade: but now no worky. Any ideas?

UPDATE: It works using a DVI (Digital) Video output instead of a regular VGA (Analog) video output... weird? I may do a complete reinstall to make sure I didn't muck it up by accident and cause these problems...

no this is normal, i had the same problem and it turned out that i had to change DVI ports on my video card, i think its something like it thinks that you have a second monitor and its not turned on. If you press command+shift+q, this will log you out.

lflashl 01-28-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincentmoo (Post 43982)
Hi , i am using G31M-ES2L Rev 2 motherboard to install , i am using IPC PPF5 10.5.6 iso to install, because i always hang at somewhere using retail snow leopard installer.
i am using nullcpupowermanagement , openhaltrestart, sleepenabler , it just do't restart/ shutdown. When i click restart , everythings turn off except the cpu light and fan, it don't restart /shutdown. Anyone have idea on how to fix the shutdown/restart issue for G31M-ES2L Rev 2 board ? Please.......

Sorry have you tried to use this way of installing Snow Leopard, what errors happen when you tried installing Snow Leopard.

lflashl 01-28-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Souzounaki (Post 43866)
I cant seem to boot with this method?
I have made the usb numerous times as in the guide.
I even tried booting -v -f.
I get the SL My Hack start up & then just as the apple logo comes on for a split second my Computer resets.
I can install with iDeneb dvd Kalayway etc...
I even tried boot 132, rebel efi, empire efi and all keep rebooting my pc.
I noticed when booting with empire efi I got the following message before reboot. acpi table not found: dsdt.aml
I am using a g31m-s2l with a sata hd & sata dvd. 8500gt graohics.

are you using G31M-S2L, or G31M-ES2L cause there is no help for the G31M-S2L here (on this post) only the G31M-ES2L...

lflashl 01-28-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macdaddy247 (Post 43604)
Hi All,

Would really appreciate some help.

I followed the above install, and it has gone pretty well, apart from the sound, which I'm going to tackle later.

Anyway, more importantly is the ethernet. I am using a small case and am limited with PCI slots (so no space for wifi card).

I was aware that the onboard ethernet wouldn't work (or so I have read). So bought a startech st100slp ethernet card.

It shows up as working on the system, but when I go to network, there is a red light next to it.
Anyone know how to get it working for the internet?

Thanks in advance!

I dont think this card is support in osx86, best to find one that works out of the box, i did for my wireless N" card, installed and worked straight away!

lflashl 01-28-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewordie (Post 43634)
I followed the instructions for creating the USB Bootable drive. When I turn on my computer and hit F12 for boot menu... I use USB-FDD and USB-HDD. I've tried both, but neither works. It just sits there and says:

Verifying DMI Pool Data.....

Did I do something wrong when I created my USB Drive? Everything seemed to go smoothly on the mac side.

yea you did the correct thing, you need to go into Hard Drive section, its listed under there!

dencraig 01-28-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lflashl (Post 43990)
no this is normal, i had the same problem and it turned out that i had to change DVI ports on my video card, i think its something like it thinks that you have a second monitor and its not turned on. If you press command+shift+q, this will log you out.

"press command+shift+q" to log out of the "second monitor"?

vincentmoo 01-29-2010 02:54 AM

I am here to share my success . First of all , thanks to sk1nhd33t and flux84
Yesterday i decided to reinstall the whole things because i couldn't shutdown/restart.
I follow every step except dsdt and audio fixed because i couldnn't find "DTGP" in dsdtfix and azalia,may be is because i am using rev 2 board , then i decided to use flux84 dsdt.aml and HDA.kext. After restart everythings work like a charm. sound , shutdown/restart , Graphic , all working! Although it doesn't show QE/CI enabled , but i can watch movie , run sceensaver ,and dashboard with effect . The audio is abit low quality also if compare with windows 7 . Finally the easiest part is LAN , i bought a apple ethernet controller and it work OOB , but the driver need to modify a bit for windows 7 64 bit. Once again , thanks to sk1nhd33t and flux84 :D

My Built :
Intel Q9505 Processor
Gigabyte G31M-ES2L Rev2.0
Manli 9800GTX+ 512mb
4GB dual channel DDR RAM
Apple USB Ethernet Controller

marc 01-29-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewordie (Post 43634)
I followed the instructions for creating the USB Bootable drive. When I turn on my computer and hit F12 for boot menu... I use USB-FDD and USB-HDD. I've tried both, but neither works. It just sits there and says:

Verifying DMI Pool Data.....

Did I do something wrong when I created my USB Drive? Everything seemed to go smoothly on the mac side.

you ever resolve this???

i am having the same issue
i was able to boot the first time and do the install, but now it won't boot again from the usb

any advice

albguy 01-29-2010 09:49 PM

Ver. 2, Onboard NIC

Hi everyone. From what I understand from this thread, the onboard ethernet card for version 2.0 of this board will not work, no matter what bios version there is?

Just asking to see if anyone solved it in any particular way before I go and buy a pci/usb device that will work.

Thank you in advance.

bgreen 01-30-2010 09:31 PM

New clean install or Make adjustments..that is the question

Hi

And thanks for the great guide.

I followed the guide easily until i got to the part of the guide DSDT quick guide:

Then i am not sure quite what happened. I would suggest if its possible that some more clarification could go into this part of the guide... everything else is great. I had difficulty locating the example files for comparison and also on the editing everything was going fine till i tried to find the file Azalia.... i could not locate.

Result:

I have a self booting Snow Leopard with the following problems that i am trying to sort... any help would be great.

No Sound
No Ethernet
Dont think sleep is working either
DVD will read data, music and copy files etc... however will not play DVD movies.

At start up i also get following errors:

Post error occurs.... it gives me options of last boots. If i do nothing it defaults to the last good boot and its fine.

Then i get an icon of Snow Leopard disk with message.... press any key to choose start up ... if i do nothing it starts automatically and is fine.

Sometimes the CPU speed shows at 2.4 and sometimes 2.8. It is a 2.8 CPU.

Despite all this i have managed to load Photoshop CS3 and it works. The system once up and running appears stable.

So any suggestions would be great....... is it possible to tweak this to get everything working or best to try a clean reinstall.

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L
intel core 2 Duo 6700 2.8
ASUS 8400GS 512M DDR2 Graphics card
SATA DVD writer
2gb Ram
1 TB SATA Hard Drive

Thanks.... Bruce learning lots..... need to learn more.........having fun!

bgreen 01-30-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincentmoo (Post 44052)
I am here to share my success . First of all , thanks to sk1nhd33t and flux84
Yesterday i decided to reinstall the whole things because i couldn't shutdown/restart.
I follow every step except dsdt and audio fixed because i couldnn't find "DTGP" in dsdtfix and azalia,may be is because i am using rev 2 board , then i decided to use flux84 dsdt.aml and HDA.kext. After restart everythings work like a charm. sound , shutdown/restart , Graphic , all working! Although it doesn't show QE/CI enabled , but i can watch movie , run sceensaver ,and dashboard with effect . The audio is abit low quality also if compare with windows 7 . Finally the easiest part is LAN , i bought a apple ethernet controller and it work OOB , but the driver need to modify a bit for windows 7 64 bit. Once again , thanks to sk1nhd33t and flux84 :D

My Built :
Intel Q9505 Processor
Gigabyte G31M-ES2L Rev2.0
Manli 9800GTX+ 512mb
4GB dual channel DDR RAM
Apple USB Ethernet Controller

Hi could you explain how you did this. This seems to be where my build has run into problems. Thanks very much cheers Bruce

albguy 01-30-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgreen (Post 44185)
Hi

And thanks for the great guide.

I followed the guide easily until i got to the part of the guide DSDT quick guide:

Then i am not sure quite what happened. I would suggest if its possible that some more clarification could go into this part of the guide... everything else is great. I had difficulty locating the example files for comparison and also on the editing everything was going fine till i tried to find the file Azalia.... i could not locate.

Result:

I have a self booting Snow Leopard with the following problems that i am trying to sort... any help would be great.

No Sound
No Ethernet
Dont think sleep is working either
DVD will read data, music and copy files etc... however will not play DVD movies.

At start up i also get following errors:

Post error occurs.... it gives me options of last boots. If i do nothing it defaults to the last good boot and its fine.

Then i get an icon of Snow Leopard disk with message.... press any key to choose start up ... if i do nothing it starts automatically and is fine.

Sometimes the CPU speed shows at 2.4 and sometimes 2.8. It is a 2.8 CPU.

Despite all this i have managed to load Photoshop CS3 and it works. The system once up and running appears stable.

So any suggestions would be great....... is it possible to tweak this to get everything working or best to try a clean reinstall.

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L
SATA DVD writer
2gb Ram
1 TB SATA Hard Drive

Thanks.... Bruce learning lots..... need to learn more.........having fun!

I have almost identical system with yours, other than the Video Card. I am experiencing the same issues as you. I was able to get a USB wireless card to work, but still no sound. Have reinstalled many times and also tried replacing the legacyalc883 kext, but with no avail. I just finished an install via Empire EFI and retail 10.6 disk, and if i manage to get it working ill post again. I have a Version 2 board btw

-Edit: Audio worked out of the box with this setup.

1. Download and burn Empire Efi on a cd
2. Buy/download(burn) 10.6 on a DVD
3. Start computer, Enter Bios: Change
a. disable onboard Nic
b. Enable Azalia
c. Sata : Enhanced
d. priority boot : 1 cdroom (for the efi) 2. hard drive
e. Save and exit bios.
4. put in the Empire Efi CD on the drive
5. after it loads, replace the empire efi cd with the SL 10.6 disk
6. Press f5, let instalation continue
7. after instalation, let the pc reboot, change the disk again, puting in the EFI disk
8. Download and install the latest version of myhack, RC5 r87 (dont forget to be nice to Conti)
9. Install myhack, and i simply changed the com.apple.boot.plist to reflect your resolution
10. restart computer, Audio worked right away. Under extensions, voodooHDA.kext is listed. It was the last option on the install of myhack software.

-Still to do:
1. Done! gonna try to install the USB wireless card again : Edit- Wireless card is Azio Model No. AWU254. Although supposedly unsuported for 10.6, using the 10.5 .dmg file from their site it works after install and fix permission via terminal ->type 'sudo' and drag/drop pfix.
2. DONE! Gonna try to update to 10.6.2 : Edit- after the install is completed, it boots into 10.6.2, but audio and wireless was not working. Changed permission via terminal ->type 'sudo' and drag/drop pfix and it worked fine..

bgreen 01-31-2010 01:27 AM

Hi

Thanks for the quick response... my mobo is also ver 2. That looks a very straight forward process. Any parts of the process that are not soo easy?

So you are suggesting i completely start from the beginning again? Also where do i locate Empire EFI? I have full retail version of SL.

Thanks again Albguy
Cheers Bruce

bgreen 01-31-2010 07:46 AM

Hi

Does this need to be a complete install? I have burned EmpireEFI_V108.iso to a CD, but can not get it to load even with above instructions. While boot via optical drive shows briefly it then goes to default drive and loads Mac OS.

I can not find disable onboard Nic on my BIOS. Any pointers would be great.

Thanks again

lflashl 01-31-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albguy (Post 44123)
Hi everyone. From what I understand from this thread, the onboard ethernet card for version 2.0 of this board will not work, no matter what bios version there is?

Just asking to see if anyone solved it in any particular way before I go and buy a pci/usb device that will work.

Thank you in advance.

nope you need to buy a new one, even better look for secondhand, got one on ebay for like 5$ and it works out of the box! no need to do anything, just look up the HCL and you will be fine!

Methanoid 01-31-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yusofu (Post 40950)
Hi Guys,

I just wanna report & share that I had successfully installed above said. :D

SL 10.6.1 on GUID partition on Hd2
SL 10.6.1 on MBR partition on Hd1

So basically makes no different if you use the OP method whether GPT or MBR formatted HDD?

I also understand the G41M-ES2L works fine with this guide and only needs the audio bit changing as its ALC888B (aka ALC887)
Maybe the OP could edit the first post, add the audio and then his guide covers Gigabytes replacement board for the G31M-ES2L!!!

Promo 01-31-2010 11:30 PM

Would you share your DSDT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zim2dive (Post 43524)
Installed the Bonjour update 2010-001, Security Update, Remote Desktop update, and Xcode update.

So far so good. Rebooted just fine. Internet still works.

I have almost the same hardware as you...would you mind sharing your DSDT?

hirefrank 02-02-2010 02:53 PM

pfix, cloning hard drive and audio ports in the back

Much thanks to everyone on this thread for the detailed response and experience. I am proud to say my Hackintosh is up and running minus a few (relatively small) issues.

1. pfix v2.3 crashes whenever I run it. Here is the screen: http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3...0201085704.jpg (Oddly enough, Kext Utility runs without a problem.) Any clue why it crashes and does it matter?

2. Whenever I try and clone my harddrive using Super Duper! or Carbon Copy Cloner I get these kernel panics: http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/3...0131212740.jpg
According to the logs rsync crashes in both cases. Any clue why or how to resolve? I've also noticed this occasionally when transferring large files from usb flash drives. (Even if I disabled Spotlight this happens.)

3. Do the audio ports on the back of the G31-ES2L motherboard work for anyone else? Only the ones in the front work for me.

Specs:
• 10.6.2 - retail
• Gigabyte G31M-ES2L rev 2
• Intel Pentium E6300, 2.8ghz
• SATA, WD 500GB
• SATA DVD
• ASUS EN9400GT
• 4GB DDR2 Memory

Thanks in advance!

-Frank

zim2dive 02-02-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Promo (Post 44313)
I have almost the same hardware as you...would you mind sharing your DSDT?

Odd.. I thought I replied already (see no reason for this to get moderated out??)

I used the same DSDT as in the ES2L kit in post #1. I figured I'd try it and given the discussion on how to edit, it might not work.. but it did (so far as I can tell), so I left well enough alone.

albguy 02-03-2010 02:49 AM

when loading, it asks you to click any key on your keyboard to boot from cd... then there will be a 10-20 second delay, before a menu type thing appears on the screen.. you can not even get to that point?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgreen (Post 44232)
Hi

Does this need to be a complete install? I have burned EmpireEFI_V108.iso to a CD, but can not get it to load even with above instructions. While boot via optical drive shows briefly it then goes to default drive and loads Mac OS.

Thanks again

flukes1 02-03-2010 07:11 PM

Sleep is causing my machine to shutdown with this board. Can't figure it out.

Kexts: FakeSMC, LegacyALC883, NullCPUPowerManagement, SleepEnabler, EvOreboot
Using the DSDT included in zip, in the first post.

bgreen 02-04-2010 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albguy (Post 44387)
when loading, it asks you to click any key on your keyboard to boot from cd... then there will be a 10-20 second delay, before a menu type thing appears on the screen.. you can not even get to that point?

Hi

No, i am not sure what has happened... however just had a majour system crash after all was looking good, had got LAN going via cheap add in board, had got rid of BIOS errors.

But no do not get any options... do i just download the files at the link you posted directly or do i have to select certain ones? If you could advise.

Cheers Bruce

montyboy 02-05-2010 05:40 AM

BIOS Settings

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone knew the proper BIOS settings to get this guide to work. I'm running Rev 2. and get kernel panics(ACPI) during boot. Another thing that is concerning me is that my dvd burner is IDE - could this cause issues in the future?

Methanoid 02-05-2010 01:34 PM

Its a huge thread to trawl thru and the 1st post does seem kept quite current but I'll ask anyway

Are there are particular BIOS settings to ensure it works? Can IDE be on or off? HPET on or off? Do I need AHCI enabled or not?

Methanoid 02-05-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montyboy (Post 44473)
Hi. I was just wondering if anyone knew the proper BIOS settings to get this guide to work. I'm running Rev 2. and get kernel panics(ACPI) during boot. Another thing that is concerning me is that my dvd burner is IDE - could this cause issues in the future?

Rev2 has Atheros LAN so I'd be VERY surprised if it works at all with this guide AFAIK. Rev1 works as it has Realtek LAN. You could disable your LAN in BIOS and pop a Realtek LAN card in a PCI slot if you want though? That should work!

Or just disable your LAN and see if it KPs still?

Funny I posted a few mins ago and then noticed your request for BIOS settings. I think we need a little more clarity there!

montyboy 02-05-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methanoid (Post 44482)
Rev2 has Atheros LAN so I'd be VERY surprised if it works at all with this guide AFAIK. Rev1 works as it has Realtek LAN. You could disable your LAN in BIOS and pop a Realtek LAN card in a PCI slot if you want though? That should work!

Or just disable your LAN and see if it KPs still?

Funny I posted a few mins ago and then noticed your request for BIOS settings. I think we need a little more clarity there!

****<UPDATE>****
All is working now except for onboard LAN ((to be expected as i'm rev 2)). The answer was following this guide but using the updated myHack installer and ALC883 kexts from kexts.com. - - - now to start researching that mouse and video lag :)
****</UPDATE>****

Thanks for the reply - all is well now except for sound. I've done the DSDT fixes listed in this guide AND tried the ones from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=182655 with no success. I have the legacy ALC883 kext , I've rebuilt the kexts with Kext Util etc. There has to be something I'm missing ... something tiny!

bgreen 02-06-2010 04:10 AM

Hi Cheetah

When i try to boot following your instructions with Empire, after boot i get verifying DMI pool data........
Boot from CD/DVD :

\with flashing cursor. As though awaiting input but no response to any key stokes. No input appears possible. Any thoughts?

Cheers Bruce

lflashl 02-06-2010 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montyboy (Post 44473)

i have read other people have issues with IDE devices best to stick to SATA drives. but with the bios settings, i think that the defaut will work.

montyboy 02-06-2010 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgreen (Post 44512)
Hi Cheetah

When i try to boot following your instructions with Empire, after boot i get verifying DMI pool data........
Boot from CD/DVD :

\with flashing cursor. As though awaiting input but no response to any key stokes. No input appears possible. Any thoughts?

Cheers Bruce

Bruce - do you have any additional storage/drives attached? What are your BIOS settings for boot order?

bgreen 02-06-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montyboy (Post 44516)
Bruce - do you have any additional storage/drives attached? What are your BIOS settings for boot order?

Hi

Thanks for the reply. No additional storage devices attached. Boot order is:

First boot device CDROM
Second device Hard Disk
Third Disabled

Cheers Bruce

Methanoid 02-13-2010 10:14 PM

This is a VERY long thread and perhaps I have missed it in the 15 pages I've read but....

How do I safely update to 10.6.2 from 10.6? I managed to install 10.6 ok but my card was in VESA as I have a Radeon 4670. So I tried the beta booter from Netkas but missed that I needed some kext from 10.6.2 so it didnt work. Then updated to 10.6.2 to get kext and I get KP as SleepEnabler isnt compatible.

I know the OP won't be happy to hear this suggestion but could the 1st post be updated? Ive seen suggestions that we install R1000.kext for some people and we have new MyHack out now and new PC-EFI so the pack could do with an update. I also see that 10.6.2 has a new SleepEnabler kext and default DSDT.

It would be VERY helpful if the guide took us from empty disk to 10.6.2.

EDIT: OK reinstalled and then updated to 10.6.2 with correct SleepEnabler and with onboard VGA. Seems OK. But if I try to put my HD4670 in the machine and replace the boot file with the one from Netkas (http://netkas.org/?p=372) and Pfix'd. But the machine always loads part way and then the screen dies but it continues loading.

Any ideas? It seems its all related to the ffricking 4670 (and I have a 4870 on way for machine #2 so i need to sort these!)

Hopefully then I can just add my 4670 by replacing the "boot" file and repairing permissions!

zim2dive 02-14-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methanoid (Post 44988)
This is a VERY long thread and perhaps I have missed it in the 15 pages I've read but....

How do I safely update to 10.6.2 from 10.6? I managed to install 10.6 ok but my card was in VESA as I have a Radeon 4670. So I tried the beta booter from Netkas but missed that I needed some kext from 10.6.2 so it didnt work. Then updated to 10.6.2 to get kext and I get KP as SleepEnabler isnt compatible.

I know the OP won't be happy to hear this suggestion but could the 1st post be updated? Ive seen suggestions that we install R1000.kext for some people and we have new MyHack out now and new PC-EFI so the pack could do with an update. I also see that 10.6.2 has a new SleepEnabler kext and default DSDT.

EDIT: OK reinstalled and then updated to 10.6.2 with correct SleepEnabler and with onboard VGA. Seems OK. But if I try to put my HD4670 in the machine and replace the boot file with the one from Netkas (http://netkas.org/?p=372) and Pfix'd. But the machine always loads part way and then the screen dies but it continues loading.

Any ideas? It seems its all related to the ffricking 4670 (and I have a 4870 on way for machine #2 so i need to sort these!)

Hopefully then I can just add my 4670 by replacing the "boot" file and repairing permissions!

Its sounds like your issue may be more ATI specific than mobo at this point... dunno if there is a good ATI thread where you might find some info.. I stick to nvidia for osx86 and for linux b/c the drivers are better supported (its got nothing to do with ati vs. nv, just a matter of practicality)

lflashl 02-17-2010 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methanoid (Post 44988)

My understanding is the Nvidia Card are alot easy to install than ATi... there is support for Ati, buy it may take more time!

Methanoid 02-18-2010 09:44 PM

Two problem installs on two machines for me.

One got hosed when going to 10.6.2 and when I tried to reinstall it fails to find the HDD. I even reinstalled standard MBR code to it (no change) then wiped it and repartitioned it. Tried with HD4670 in and without. Tried changing SATA connectors. Tried disabling IDE adaptor.

I really DONT want GUID as I am multi booting or trying to.

I've installed two USB 8gb sticks. One with latest MyHack which has 10.6.2 compatible kexts but it still doesnt see the HDD.

Its taking 24 hours to make the USB Sticks too.. that cannot be correct?!??!

zim2dive 02-18-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methanoid (Post 45216)
Two problem installs on two machines for me.

One got hosed when going to 10.6.2 and when I tried to reinstall it fails to find the HDD. I even reinstalled standard MBR code to it (no change) then wiped it and repartitioned it. Tried with HD4670 in and without. Tried changing SATA connectors. Tried disabling IDE adaptor.

I really DONT want GUID as I am multi booting or trying to.

I've installed two USB 8gb sticks. One with latest MyHack which has 10.6.2 compatible kexts but it still doesnt see the HDD.

Its taking 24 hours to make the USB Sticks too.. that cannot be correct?!??!

yeah, my USB stick took forever and a day to make too.. you don't need to make a new USB stick once you have it.. I don't think.. so why not try a GPT install and then if that works, you know that is your issue.

As for your other troubles, the guide does say to use GPT...

andymodem 02-19-2010 03:41 PM

Has anyone gotten Bonjour to work? No matter what I do I can't seem to get it work. I have the revision 1 of this board, and everything works great except Bonjour. Can someone who has gotten it to work, post what they did? Thanks.

Edit: I'm using the 32bit btw.

zim2dive 02-19-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andymodem (Post 45239)
Has anyone gotten Bonjour to work? No matter what I do I can't seem to get it work. I have the revision 1 of this board, and everything works great except Bonjour. Can someone who has gotten it to work, post what they did? Thanks.

Edit: I'm using the 32bit btw.

did you even search this thread?

bgreen 02-19-2010 11:54 PM

Original Install

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgreen (Post 44232)
Hi

Thanks again

HI All

Went back to the original instal in this guide as still no luck with Empire. Update. Everything appears stable.

Sound was fixed with buying a cheap USB sound drive.... worked UOB. Great $8 investment.

Lan works with cheap PCI ethernet card. 10/100. However am having speed issues. Download speed etc is very slow compared with macbook using same cable connection. Any suggestions would be great!

Also sleep does not appear to be working properly. If i use sleep function screen locks and the screen saver will not come on. Screen will awaken after this if prompted to do so. At present i have set computer to never sleep and screen saver comes on at designated time. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.... regards Bruce

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L
SATA DVD writer
2gb Ram
1 TB SATA Hard Drive
USB Sound device (Generic)
Ethernet PCI card

lflashl 02-21-2010 01:40 PM

i just upgraded my CPU from a E6300 to a Q8400 and now i can not overclock. I can overclock from 2.33Ghz to 3.1Ghz, and boot into windows fine, play games/movies/music everything works fine. But when i boot into OSX86 Snow Leopard i cannot even boot into it. as sooon as i get the boot loader, i click snowleopard and then i get a msg telling to reboot. If i put the setting back to default settings, then no problems.

foghornleghorn 02-26-2010 05:52 AM

Thank You

My Leopard installation was working pretty well until recently, when its EFI partition somehow became terminally corrupted.
I've now installed Snow Leopard as per this guide, and I can't believe how much better it is: faster to launch applications, fewer irritating glitches like the need to reconnect to the airport network after sleep, and a generally much more authentic OSX experience.
A very streamlined installation process, too.
Many thanks to the OP.

claytonbellmor 02-26-2010 06:01 AM

Won't load thumb drive

I followed this guide, and successfully installed Snow Leopard on my machine.
I'm using the mobo from the guide: Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L rev. 2.

I reinstalled 10.6, using the same method and thumb drive, but now when I hit f12 to boot into the thumb drive, I get stuck at "Verifying DMI Data Pool".

I've changed every applicable setting in the CMOS setup utility, and tried resetting the BIOS.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try and reset the main BIOS using the BIOS download from Gigabyte.com.tw, and a thumb drive.

Any ideas until then?

bgreen 02-26-2010 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonbellmor (Post 45554)
I followed this guide, and successfully installed Snow Leopard on my machine.
I'm using the mobo from the guide: Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L rev. 2.

I reinstalled 10.6, using the same method and thumb drive, but now when I hit f12 to boot into the thumb drive, I get stuck at "Verifying DMI Data Pool".

I've changed every applicable setting in the CMOS setup utility, and tried resetting the BIOS.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try and reset the main BIOS using the BIOS download from Gigabyte.com.tw, and a thumb drive.

Any ideas until then?

Hi

I recently had a similar message and fixed it after i googled DMI data pool messages. I would suggest you try that. I am a newbie so do not want to put you wrong... but what worked for me was disconnecting the Hard drive and booting up with the usb stick then reconnecting the hard drive. This seemed to reset the defaults and it was business as usual. You might want to wait for an informed solution but if you don't get one... well it worked for me.

Cheers Bruce

rwillett 02-26-2010 09:32 PM

The verifying DMI is not a corrupt BIOS. You get it when you change a disk. I've just had it and it's a pain to get rid off. There seems to be very little on the net about it, but it is NOT a corrupt BIOS. I got rid of mine (upgrade from 250GB to 1.5TB) disk by unplugging the disks, booting off a flash drive and then pluggin and installing. YMMV.

gearheadgeek 02-27-2010 02:47 AM

I have been trying to replace 10.5.7 with snow up on my G31M-E2SL using this guide, but can't get past the panics. I can't tell where it crashed because booting with -v sends the text flying by to fast. When it panic, it clears the screen and does the dump in a higher resolution that before. The third line says "64 bit mode enabled", even if I boot with -x32. I type -x32 -v before hitting return with snow selected and -v works so I don't think I am screwing up. Any ideas anyone?

alltoorobot 02-27-2010 03:11 AM

power supply

I am looking around to see what kind of power supplies people are using with theyre eg31m's. The manual, as far as I know tells you to use a 400 watt PSU. I would like to bump it down as much as possible, get a video card that is passively cooled not using a lot of energy.

The mac mini's only draw 14 watts while idle. I would like to set up my eg31m to run as power efficient as possible. Thanks for anytipes guys.

zcream 03-02-2010 05:30 AM

iaslMe 2 errors

When I drag dsdt.dsl to iaslme I get 2 errors and 2 warnings.
This happens with the dsdt.dsl generated from DSDT_Patcher as well as the modified dsdl. dsl from the directions below.

dsdt.dsl : 327 - Store (Local0, Local0)
Method local variable is not initialized ^ Local0.

dsdt.dsl : 332 - Store (Local0, Local0)
Method local variable is not initialized ^ Local0.

Any idea why ?
Thanks!

>>>- let's begin... be sure you have a good texteditor handy (eg Textwrangler, BBEdit etc..)
- open ES2L kit Tools then "DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e" folder and double click "DSDT Patcher"
- a terminal window will open then press any key to continue
- next it will ask "Which OS to emulate? [0=Darwin, 1=WinXP, 2=WinVista]" input "0" and press enter
- a new Debug folder will appear and inside it are a few files but we are interested in "dsdt.dsl"
- open your dsdt.dsl using your preffered texteditor so we can start editing
- also as reference, open my included dsl to copy from it directly or check how it's done
- on your keyboard press "command F (Find)" and look for "_WAK", right above it copy paste "DTGP" located on your dsdtfix file
- again "command F (Find)" and enter RTC, look for "0x04" below RTC and changed them to "0x02" - this fix is for CMOS Reset
- command F (Find) and enter Azalia, go to dsdtfix file and copy paste "HDEF" to your dsl replacing azalia.. again check my included dsl for reference - this is for ALC883 Audio
>>>