InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

sk1nhd33t 08-31-2009 08:06 AM

Thanks to ApexDE from his post here, error like this below after waking from sleep is now fixed!

http://voyn1x.infinitemac.com/usb-unmounted.png

just add this to your dsdt and look for Device (USBE) ..

Quote:

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x04)
{
“AAPL,clock-id”,
Buffer (0x01)
{
0x01
},
“device_type”,
Buffer (0x05)
{
“EHCI”
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)

heemsker 08-31-2009 08:44 PM

@sk1nhd33t:
I have your motherboard (in a blue G3) and have been following this thread closely.
Great work!
I applied the above USB dsdt patch with success.
I did find however that I needed an extra curly bracket at the end of your code snippet for it to compile properly.

ndakotabr21 09-01-2009 01:54 AM

Problemas / problems with GA G31M-ES2L

Hi guys!

i'm see the tuto, and i'm very impress, by the way... thats confirmed! 10A4321 IT's the gold master!

But, here, in my home, i want to install in my second hard disk and i'm still get this constants errors! Please, see the youtube link of the kernel crashes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TONj3JFc9aE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlcvVulAtac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELASzECFWwo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvjAEO-DzCo

This errors are a kick in the balls!

I do not have memory key, so i'm install by the DMG using this tuto: http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/08/h...pc-hackintosh/ (at least the frists steps)

my video board are a Xfx GeForce 7300 GS
this is the only offboard hardware of my machine, everything it's onboard, i have a dvd-RW drive SATA from LG, a Samsung SATA hard disk (10.5.8) and a Maxtor IDE Hard disk (Want put 10.6)

someone can help-me? maybe by msn messenger or gtalk?

my msn messenger is [email protected]
my gtalk accout are [email protected]

please please pleeease can someone help me? :'(

dustintinsley 09-03-2009 12:08 AM

well, i finally got this installed, but i can not get sound working. to get this to install i used chameleon rc1, installing it on an efi hfs partition. so my extra folders is located on a seperate partition which i can setuop to view via /Volumes/EFI/Extras. I have tried all the kexts here for auio, 32bit, 64 bit, patched my dsdt, tried other kects from here all with no luck. the speaker icon does appear in my menu bar and i can see that the system reports the correct sound card data in my system profile, but i can not get any sound. sounds works fine in 10.5.8, but nothing in 10.6...

sk1nhd33t 09-03-2009 12:34 PM

[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustintinsley (Post 33310)
well, i finally got this installed, but i can not get sound working. to get this to install i used chameleon rc1, installing it on an efi hfs partition. so my extra folders is located on a seperate partition which i can setuop to view via /Volumes/EFI/Extras. I have tried all the kexts here for auio, 32bit, 64 bit, patched my dsdt, tried other kects from here all with no luck. the speaker icon does appear in my menu bar and i can see that the system reports the correct sound card data in my system profile, but i can not get any sound. sounds works fine in 10.5.8, but nothing in 10.6...

i also have that same setup now via hidden EFI, try clearing your cache and create a new extensions.mkext and see if that works..

BTW guide is updated with all new kext and improvements :-d

dmbardal 09-05-2009 11:21 PM

Hi. I love the guide. Very well made.
So far, I have done everything according to the guide, and I am sad to say that I get an Kernel Panic when booting from the USB-Stick.

The KP says among other things:

"panic cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80002cbf74"
"Error Code: 0x0000000000000002"

Any idea what might be causing it?

And yes. I have the G31M-ES2L, and I used only your files, and did it the correct way (unless I missed something that is. But I doubt it.)

sincerely,
Dag Magnus

arsonwells 09-06-2009 03:22 AM

Any chance we'll get ahold of a Bonjour fix that'll work in 64-bit?

Very nice tutorial, man.

prop_tech 09-06-2009 06:58 AM

PCI NIC Not Detected

Thanks for all of your hard work! I have everything up and running, sleep and sound have no problems at all. Unfortunately I was unlucky enough to get a G31M-E2SL 2.0 board from NewEgg for this project, so I also had to install an Encore ENGLA-1320 card (RealTek 8169). It worked out of the box under 10.5.6, with the vanilla IONetworkingFamily kext. In 10.6 it's not detecting any PCI card as installed. It shows up in the POST and it has a light, so I know it's working, I just can't get show up. Any ideas?

sk1nhd33t 09-06-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arsonwells (Post 33728)
Any chance we'll get ahold of a Bonjour fix that'll work in 64-bit?

Very nice tutorial, man.

Thanks a lot, just paying back the community who made a guide before me. ;)

for 64bit bonjour, as of this message the only way to make it work is via promisc which what im currently using now.

dmbardal 09-06-2009 03:32 PM

"when install DVD restore is done go to snow folder on your Desktop and copy the following to root of your flash drive

● dsdt.aml
● boot.plist - edit this to match your EFI Strings, timeout and Graphics mode
● Extensions[USB] (rename it to Extensions)
● Themes

when done you can now turn off your Leopard machine."

Do you really mean that we should copy the files from the /Snow/Extra/ folder on the Desktop, to the ROOT of the USB-Stick?

Edit: Also.. I couldnt install Chameleon v2 RC1 on the Snow Leopard disc after the installation.
It stops on "writing package reciept". (allmost at the start of the installer).
Any workaround on this?
I found a way to do it manually. But I really dont know if I did it correctly.

Or is it a typo, and we should really copy it from /Snow/Extra/ to /USBSTICK/Extra/ ?

Because when I copy it to the ROOT of the USB-Stick as you have written here, I cant get to the installation-screen. I only get an gray screen with the mouse-cursor spinning.

When I put it in /USB-STICK/Extra/ I can access the Installation-screen successfully.

simsim 09-06-2009 03:36 PM

Thanks for your update to this great guide, new files worked fine.

I wonder, what is the purpose of making your own mkext file? I don't have one on my EFI partition, would it make the boot time shorter if I had?

Another thing I discovered just now is that I can't boot into 32bit. I never tried before but I was trying to get final cut going and thought it might help with 32bit. I'm getting a KP quickly into the boot.

I tried the fix in this thread : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=181209 but no luck.
Also I'm not sure if I should include the kexts in the EFI partition when rebuilding the mkext as the fix says.

Fixed: Writing this in 32 kernel. I moved my installation from efi partition to main partition, but I think the problem was that some of my kexts had root:admin ownership instead of root:wheel. It was kextcache that complained about it and gave me the clue. I guess the fix in the thread above is quite good after all.

sk1nhd33t 09-07-2009 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbardal (Post 33781)
"
Do you really mean that we should copy the files from the /Snow/Extra/ folder on the Desktop, to the ROOT of the USB-Stick?

Edit: Also.. I couldnt install Chameleon v2 RC1 on the Snow Leopard disc after the installation.
It stops on "writing package reciept". (allmost at the start of the installer).
Any workaround on this?
I found a way to do it manually. But I really dont know if I did it correctly.

Or is it a typo, and we should really copy it from /Snow/Extra/ to /USBSTICK/Extra/ ?

Because when I copy it to the ROOT of the USB-Stick as you have written here, I cant get to the installation-screen. I only get an gray screen with the mouse-cursor spinning.

When I put it in /USB-STICK/Extra/ I can access the Installation-screen successfully.

it's a typo thanks for noticing it, you should copy it to your USB's Extra folder ;)

editing it now

bzen 09-07-2009 06:43 AM

Tried Guide with Exact Settings for G31M-E2SL and Unable to Install

Have Rev 2.0 of Board so no Realtek. Have old Dlink DGE-530T, which will use (may try to use SKGE.kext v0.2d or 0.2e but unsure if working in 64 bit mode) later after get to complete actual install. For Video just using onboard GMA3100 for now.

Loaded all stuff on to drive as shown in pics on 1st Page of Thread. (boot file, Extras Folder (with Themes, Extension Folders, and in root boot.plist and DSDT.aml file). Have Retail Snow Leopard.
Edited boot.plist as required with UUID and added kernel flags for -v -x32 mode.

Also dont have running Leopard system other than on Mac Pro.
Machine trying to install on has XP 32 and Win 7 64 Already on it on single SATA drive 0, and then trying to install on second drive.

I am able to boot off usb. (tried with and without verbose mode and get to start install.). Then use disk utituly to format with HFS+ as GUID then select to install on. Then choose custom options and remove fonts and languages not required. Then starts installing and gets to about 24 min or less then kernel panic or crash. Similar to initial posts and post by dmbardal.

Could it be issue with DSDT file for Rev 1 vs Rev 2 Boards. Have tried to recompile/dissassemble of DSDT with no luck from comparing yours to the one extracted from Rev2.0 FC BIOS from July. Also tried 64 bit mode and same things.

I am at a loss. Only KEXT's used are ones in USB folder that suggest. Also tried KEXT's from OS folder but dont get into option to install get problems before installer starts after booting from USB.

Also tried changing BIOS Settings (disabling features for CPU, etc..) . Possible BIOS setup screenshots anyone? Any thoughts on setup here to help me get past install and on my way?

sk1nhd33t 09-07-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simsim (Post 33782)
Thanks for your update to this great guide, new files worked fine.

I wonder, what is the purpose of making your own mkext file? I don't have one on my EFI partition, would it make the boot time shorter if I had?

Another thing I discovered just now is that I can't boot into 32bit. I never tried before but I was trying to get final cut going and thought it might help with 32bit. I'm getting a KP quickly into the boot.

I tried the fix in this thread : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=181209 but no luck.
Also I'm not sure if I should include the kexts in the EFI partition when rebuilding the mkext as the fix says.

Fixed: Writing this in 32 kernel. I moved my installation from efi partition to main partition, but I think the problem was that some of my kexts had root:admin ownership instead of root:wheel. It was kextcache that complained about it and gave me the clue. I guess the fix in the thread above is quite good after all.

no need to transfer it to main, im running my EXTRA folder on a hidden EFI too but no problems on 32/64. To make an mkext just replace the path on the link you provided to the path your EFI partition is, just be sure to mount it first. If starting from scratch (new install) you can also make it in leopard just before the first boot of snow but remove the "-t" command and also replace 0:0 to root:wheel.. i just didnt include it on my guide on purpose to make it a friendly guide (meaning no terminal) and compliment it with kext utility to be run in snow :)

im still a noob and finding more ways to improve my install since this board is my very first and only hackintosh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzen (Post 33891)
Have Rev 2.0 of Board so no Realtek. Have old Dlink DGE-530T, which will use (may try to use SKGE.kext v0.2d or 0.2e but unsure if working in 64 bit mode) later after get to complete actual install. For Video just using onboard GMA3100 for now.

this could the reason but i dont have a 2.0 board so i could be wrong.

bzen 09-07-2009 06:38 PM

Boot uuid

Thanks for Email i had USB Key UUID as part of the boot.plist. So tried to remove as suggested.

I tried exact same install off USB this time without UUID String in boot.plist and this time with 32 bit mode no kernel panics. Completed install part.

As suggested followed 1st post closely (but missed this) and this appears to be the only problem with installer.

Now just gotta get the drive ready to boot off new drive with bootloader again. Is there easy way to do this from terminal after install completes? As i dont have existing leopard on new drive. Will go thru guides again and forum to see if can find out whats next. Is there anyone that can help? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Do I have to run installer package again for Chamelon 2 RC1?

bzen 09-07-2009 09:33 PM

How to Install without Previous Leopard just from Retail DVD

Thx for help am now running.:cool: Have some notes to add about complete manual install without any other OSX.

3 Guides
Snow Leopard New Retail - http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide...or-g31m-t3672/
Snow Leopard Old (for Reference OnlY) http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache...&client=safari
Chameleon Manual Install - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=164809

- will need 8 GB USB Key
- will need another Intel Mac (or PowerMac or something with GNU Bash, if familar with bash syntax)
- will need 2nd HD to Install Mac To
- follow install instructions from guide here for Creating SNOW USB Installer
- follow instructions for install and partition of New disk

NOTES
Also affter USB guide finished then create new folder on USB that you will copy files to new HD install from
- Should have the following inside
- Chamelon-2-RC1-r431 Binaries
- http://chameleon.osx86.hu/file_downl...31-bin.tar.gz&
- The Extras Folder from Snow.Zip Guide
- make sure no UUID yet in boot.plist file when installing from USB (otherwise if on USB will get Kernel Panics).
- set kernel flags for 32 Bit ( -x32) in boot.plist
- Boot off usb (F12 then Hard Disks ,then select USB Key)
- Install with No Fonts/Translations (in custom Menu)
- After install finished then boot back with usb to get to terminal
- After install finished then get UUID for install drive as stated in terminal. (Remove USB and goto another PC to edit)
- Change as required for UUID in boot.plist and platform UUID info.plist (need to be done on another computer as cant find way to edit in OSX terminal)
- After editted both files on other computer then put USB back in
- open terminal then use ditto to copy (change to directory on USB with New Extra Folder with Extension , etc...)
Code:

cd /volumes/*
Code:

mkdir Extra
Code:

cd /volumes/"Your USB Drive"/"Your Install Folder goes here"
Code:

Ditto Extra /volumes/*/Extra
(Where * is the name of drive that you installed on)
- this should copy all files across including any extensions required.
- After copied extra folder and verified files are copied then need to install Chameleon from terminal window
- goto Chameleon Manual Install for directions
NOTES: for part 7 do need r in front of disk (in example osx partitions was disk0s2) so would be same as example /dev/rdisk0s2
- otherwise get device busy error, and if succesful will get bytes in / out.
- For OSX Syntax help goto http://ss64.com/osx/dd.html
- Once complete then need copy EFI boot 10.1 from root of USB to new Volume (use cp command to copy to root).
- Boot off the new drive (still in 32 bit after hitting F12 to select from and boot)

bzen 09-07-2009 11:10 PM

PCI or PCI-E Ethernet Card for 64 Bit Kernel Snow Leopard

cant seem to get older DGE-530T that I had lying around working.

Any suggestions to replace????
As I have rev 2.0 board with Atheros AR8131 built in and non working DGE-530T

Will Try in 32 Bit mode.

dmbardal 09-08-2009 05:08 PM

Finally I got it to work on my PC as well.
I messed up my 10.5.8 installation, so I "had" to get 10.6 to work..
And I finally did!

I used your old guide tho.
And my vital part was the "First Boot: - turn on your computer and go to Boot Menu (F12) then choose 8GBsnow as the first boot then press enter, on the Chameleon menu choose your hard drive with recently installed snow and boot with -v -x32 (very important), it will boot in verbose mode displaying lots of text, if all goes well you will greeted with SnowLeopard intro video but no sound yet, just continue the process until you reach your desktop."

That made me able to finish up everything.

I had a problem installing Chameleon 2 RC1 on the SL Disk tho.
So I had to manually install it.

Also, my Network-cards dont work in 64bit, only 32bit (atleast it seems so atm.)
I got a DLink DWA-556 (PCI-E N Card) and a DLink DWA-140 (USB N Card)
Both uses Ralinks chipsets, so I guess thats why.
If anyone get a hold of some working drivers for 64bit from Ralink. Please, do tell :-)

Thanks a bunch for the guide. After a week of struggling, blood, sweat and tears. I finally made it. Boy, what a ride!

Edit: Now it seems that my Ethernetadapters have given up on me.
They wont work in 32bit now. sigh :p

Edit Again: I did a reformat etcetc. and installed everything from scratch. Except that I kept one SL install alive to modify everything.
Installed. Used the -x32 in the boot.plist, and now everything seems to be working allright :)
I just used OSX86Tools to enable Quartz (I allready had my 9600 GT 1GB String in the boot.plist)
and it seems to be working quite allright.
I just got a shocker when it said "boot: error" on my Chameleon boot. But I restarted, and it was allright. wierd tho.
Anyhow. All fine and dandy now! :-D

drossxyu 09-08-2009 05:53 PM

I'm going to try installing SL tonight w\ this thread's original tutorial and the information bzen has provided. The only thing I don't quite understand is where I obtain my UUID. I've read up on it and I understand what it is and why it's needed but don't know where to find it.

simsim 09-08-2009 09:26 PM

Thanks for explaining about mkexts, I also found rebuilding the mkext helped me avoid kp when installing little snitch.

dmbardal 09-08-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drossxyu (Post 34053)
I'm going to try installing SL tonight w\ this thread's original tutorial and the information bzen has provided. The only thing I don't quite understand is where I obtain my UUID. I've read up on it and I understand what it is and why it's needed but don't know where to find it.

go to utilities and open "Disk Tool" or "Disk Utility" or whatever its called in English (Im using Norwegian so..)

Then rightclick the device you want the UUID of and click information.
There the UUID will be shown. Its a long number, so you most likely will have to make the window bigger.

drossxyu 09-08-2009 09:48 PM

Ok, but won't I need the UUID prior to the installation of OSX? Right now I don't have OSX in any form on my drive so how would I be able to use the disk utility to obtain the UUID?

Tamriel 09-09-2009 10:38 PM

First thanks for this detailed guide. Unlucky me, I've got a noobish problem:
I preparded an USB Device as explained, but I cannot make my PC to boot from it. After pressing F12 to go to Boot menu I select "Hard Disk". Now I can choose between my usual Harddrive and "Bootable Add-in Cards". Theres no USB device to choose from...
I tried it with iPod (8GB) and USB Stick (2GB + Retail DVD, your linked method)

Any solutions?

bzen 09-10-2009 06:26 AM

PCI 64 Bit Kernel Working with Dynex DX-PCIGB

1 Attachment(s)
Got a PCI NIC for GA-G31M-E2SL (Dynex DX-PCIGB at bestbuy for $22) it has Realtek8169 chip on it. It has built in support under IONetworkingFamily.kext under Plugins and RTL8169 DeviceID 10EC8169. So after a bit of digging around and trial error finally found that need to edit DSDT.

The one with original post will create issues with any PCI NIC as it has GIGE defined in PCI Express Slot 1. My actually card for this board comes up on Hub0@1E (bottom PCI Slot) top is slot 0 (have DGE-530T in there that could not get to work). Can find this out with IORegistry Explorer Utility (have attached).

So decompiled the ASL from Original Post to DSL file. Then editted. Had to remove the GIGE and then all GP9 Ref's with Text. After did this was able to check with bootable USB and finally with 64 Bit Kernel. ;)

Now have pretty much vanilla install (from what I understand) with Rev 2.0 Board. I have attached all relevant info and DSDT files (compiled/uncompiled) and some reference material used FYI.

bzen 09-10-2009 06:41 AM

BIOS Change so can Boot from USB

Have to turn on legacy storage support in USB, then should see in boot menu when hit F12 or in BIOS under boot drives before saving change.

MonkeyDLuffy 09-10-2009 03:20 PM

Hi all,

Thanks sk1nhd33t for this guide but I'm afraid it is not working for me. I'm still on the 1st step (Creating the USB flash Snow Installer) and can't pass that. I followed your instructions completely and carefully and I have a kernel panic right away. What could be the problem? Could it be a setting in your BIOS? Is your G31M-ES2L rev 1.x? What BIOS version do you have, mine is F9c rev 1.x.

-With the hidden files are shown and dragging and dropping the "boot" to the USB flash disk gives me an error because it was saying that it is hidden, but it is not. Anyway, I just copied it manually using the terminal. Do I have to repair permission to that "boot" file? chown/chmod?

-I already tried your dsdt.aml and tried my own. Both doesn't work.

-I'm sure that my GFX EFI String works (in Leoaprd).

-I don't have to copy the smbios.plist to the USB installer right? It will be copied to the Installed OS after installation?

Please help! I just received my computer parts last night and the 1st thing I did is install OSX86. By the way, Leopard works flawlessly (retail method).

Full Specs:
G31M-ES2L rev 1.x F9c
250GB SATA HDD (Enhanced mode in BIOS)
NO DVD drive
7300LE 64mb (works with EFI string in Leo) - DVI
2gb memory Crucial ddr2 800ghz
Intel E5200
275W PSU
USB mouse/kb

Thank you!

heemsker 09-10-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy (Post 34254)
Hi all,

Thanks sk1nhd33t for this guide but I'm afraid it is not working for me. I'm still on the 1st step (Creating the USB flash Snow Installer) and can't pass that. I followed your instructions completely and carefully and I have a kernel panic right away. What could be the problem? Could it be a setting in your BIOS? Is your G31M-ES2L rev 1.x? What BIOS version do you have, mine is F9c rev 1.x.

-With the hidden files are shown and dragging and dropping the "boot" to the USB flash disk gives me an error because it was saying that it is hidden, but it is not. Anyway, I just copied it manually using the terminal. Do I have to repair permission to that "boot" file? chown/chmod?

-I already tried your dsdt.aml and tried my own. Both doesn't work.

-I'm sure that my GFX EFI String works (in Leoaprd).

-I don't have to copy the smbios.plist to the USB installer right? It will be copied to the Installed OS after installation?

Please help! I just received my computer parts last night and the 1st thing I did is install OSX86. By the way, Leopard works flawlessly (retail method).

Full Specs:
G31M-ES2L rev 1.x F9c
250GB SATA HDD (Enhanced mode in BIOS)
NO DVD drive
7300LE 64mb (works with EFI string in Leo) - DVI
2gb memory Crucial ddr2 800ghz
Intel E5200
275W PSU
USB mouse/kb

Thank you!

Is your memory 2x1GB or 1x2GB?
I've had KP's when I tried to install with a single 2GB memory module.

MonkeyDLuffy 09-10-2009 03:35 PM

@heemsker

I use 1 stick of 2gb only. Could it be the cause.

UPDATE: Well, I have a good news update, not yet sure though.

I noticed in the kernel paneic that 64-bit enabled. Ofcouse, I put -v -x32. I know it works because verbose mode is working.

So I went to the bios and changed 32-bit mode to 64-bit, rebooted - booted to my Snow Leo flash drive then just put -v boot flag and it booted. Now I'm installing in my internal hard drive. It is actually 50% right now. I'll give an update later to see if it will work.

Any other boot flag aside from -x32? It doesn't seem to work on mine. It still loads 64-bit

Good luck to me :D

UPDATE 2:

After installing snow Leo from the USB flash drive, I followed the next steps. First one is to install Chameleon to the Internal hard drive where Snow Leo was installed.

I run the chameleon package and for some reason, the installation is not pushing. It is stuck at "Installing Core" "Writing Package Receipt". The leopard is still running though and I noticed hard drive activity. Cold reboot my system and redid the same thing, it was still the same, stuck on that same spot. I tried 32-bit mode/64-bit mode inside leopard but they are all the same. I'm sensing permission problems. I don't know how to install chameleon manually.

I'm going to try other stuff now, see if it works.

sk1nhd33t 09-10-2009 04:43 PM

@MonkeyDLuffy

just install it manually, take a look at this guide to manually install chameleon 2, since you'll be using PCEFI just replace the path of the boot file or drag it in terminal.

Code:

eg- cp [drag efi10.1 boot file here] [drag the destination]
-you can also skip the leopard part of the guide if you have all the files in your flash key and just install RC1 when you are in snow.

MonkeyDLuffy 09-10-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk1nhd33t (Post 34271)
@MonkeyDLuffy

just install it manually, take a look at this guide to manually install chameleon 2, since you'll be using PCEFI just replace the path of the boot file or drag it in terminal.

Code:

eg- cp [drag efi10.1 boot file here] [drag the destination]
-you can also skip the leopard part of the guide if you have all the files in your flash key and just install RC1 when you are in snow.

Hey sk1,

thanks. I'm going to check on manually installing chameleon, I also wanted to learn it a long time ago. I guess this would be the perfect time.

But while youre here, maybe you can share you're BIOS settings. Are you on 32-bit or 64-bit mode? Enhanced mode? C1E enabled? Etc.
Only if you have spare time :) Or willing.

Thanks man!

UPDATE:

I have installed the bootloader properly and it boots but not completely. When I run -x32 -v as boot flags, it kernel panics right away (right after loading /Extra), but when I boot in normal -v (64-bit in BIOS) it boots but only half way. It kernel panics after loading some other kext. I also tried -x32 while in 64-bit mode in BIOS. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

sk1nhd33t 09-10-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy (Post 34275)
But while youre here, maybe you can share you're BIOS settings. Are you on 32-bit or 64-bit mode? Enhanced mode? C1E enabled? Etc.
Only if you spare time :) Or willing.

Thanks man!

im running 64bit after thorias found a fix for bonjour, my F8 bios settings below :)

Advanced BIOS Features:

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): [Enabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2): [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function: [Enabled]
Init Display First: [PEG]
Onboard VGA: [Enable If No Ext PEG]

Integrated Peripherals:

On-Chip Primary PCI IDE: [Disabled]
On-Chip SATA Mode: [Enhanced]
USB Keyboard Support: [Enabled]
USB Mouse Support: [Disabled]
Legacy USB storage detect: [Enabled]

Power Management Setup:

ACPI Suspend Type: [S3(STR)]
Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN: [Instant-Off]
HPET Support: [Enabled] HPET Mode: [64-bit Mode]

Voyn1x 09-10-2009 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
During the eternal quest to reduce the amount of kexts used, i've managed to combine both legacy audio kexts into one :D

Tamriel 09-10-2009 10:32 PM

BIOS doesn't detect USB Device

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bzen (Post 34218)
Have to turn on legacy storage support in USB, then should see in boot menu when hit F12 or in BIOS under boot drives before saving change.

Thanks for your response. So I went to BIOS and saw that i already had "Legacy USB storage detect" enabled. A picture of my BIOS is attached below. I've found no solution yet...

L8nitehackin 09-10-2009 10:48 PM

Boot Suggestion..

Don't use F12... hit delete on power up and go into Bios, Advanced section I believe and highlight your USB drive and use page up to move it to the top. I never could get F12 to work either. Just remember to change it back when you're done or you may run into issues during normal boot.

L8nitehackin 09-10-2009 11:06 PM

Audio kexts...

Been lurking these boards for several days and have successfully implemented SL on my setup... with one exception, NO AUDIO! So, with this new audio kext can I just put it in my extra / extension folder and be done with it? Or do I need to generate a new mkext file also and possibly remove others?

For the most part I installed 100% per this threads suggestions.. However for the life of me I never could get Chameleon to install on my SL partition. I ended up creating a separate small partition on the same hard drive and installed Chameleon on that, and simply copied the Extra folders and files to my Snow Leopard partition that Chameleon generated. Who knows.. perhaps that is part of the problem with no audio? But everything else works great, network ok, 64 bit ok, graphics ok... just no sound.. yet! ;-)

bzen 09-11-2009 03:26 AM

Update to Chameleon RC3 and Snow 10.6.1

Hey guys,

Installed RC3 of Chameleon on USB and right on top of SATA drive and works.
Also getting some faults/panic/restarts during installs etc.. so tried the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext (found 64 bit compatible one) and seems to have fixed along with Install of Chameleon RC3. Without in 64 bit mode would crash on installs of 10.6.1 when trying to optimize system. Also added SMUUID to smbios.plist which may have helped but dont know for sure. Also with RC3 of cham seems to have fixed time machine issues automatically as now have icon in tray where as on initial install did not. Also before Carbon Copy Cloner would crash on clone to another partition (still in beta, so am testing).

Then afterwards was able to install 10.6.1 without issues and do latest software
for itunes and remote desktop.

Also thanx for new kext for legacy883 so far no issues.

L8nitehackin 09-11-2009 04:48 AM

I can report successful update to 10.6.1 as well... but still no audio.

bzen... you report no issues with legacy883? I tried that kext, ( put in extensions, rebuild mkext file, repaired permissions ), but still no audio. I have no device to choose from within sound properties. I had no issues with sound on 10.5.6 or 10.5.8.. and still don't as I use a removeable hard drive for my OS's. ( W7, XP and OS X's pre SL )

Can you elaborate on how you implemented that kext with success? Do I need to remove an AppleHDA kext to avoid conficts and properly install? From what I'm starting to get into, for some reason I think I have something pointing to a wrong address where my built in audio is on my bus? But I'm still an infant in this field and learning.. thx

sk1nhd33t 09-11-2009 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voyn1x (Post 34303)
During the eternal quest to reduce the amount of kexts used, i've managed to combine both legacy audio kexts into one :D

finally the higher ops speak, thanks for the kext :-d. will test it a bit later and update the guide since 1 kext is better than two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by L8nitehackin (Post 34359)
I can report successful update to 10.6.1 as well... but still no audio.

bzen... you report no issues with legacy883? I tried that kext, ( put in extensions, rebuild mkext file, repaired permissions ), but still no audio. I have no device to choose from within sound properties. I had no issues with sound on 10.5.6 or 10.5.8.. and still don't as I use a removeable hard drive for my OS's. ( W7, XP and OS X's pre SL )

Can you elaborate on how you implemented that kext with success? Do I need to remove an AppleHDA kext to avoid conficts and properly install? From what I'm starting to get into, for some reason I think I have something pointing to a wrong address where my built in audio is on my bus? But I'm still an infant in this field and learning.. thx

you need to put the legacy kext to your extra/extensions, if you did try clearing your cache first and be sure HDEF patch is in your dsdt.. if you did everyhting and still has no audio then just use voodoohda in S/L/E :)

to remove the cache " rm -r /System/Library/Caches/* ".

JShubert683 09-11-2009 06:21 AM

I have audio, all I did was reboot twice both times with -v -f -F. I am also using the new rc3 of chameleon. My install of SL with basically the old boot 123 way using the required kexts and got a full vanilla install with no issues without even installing through 10.5. So I would say try out the new rc3 and reboot doing -v -f -F and the kext util to repair all extens

sk1nhd33t 09-11-2009 06:37 AM

updated to 10.6.1 without problems :)

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6...90911at130.png

update away guys! BTW thanks for the kext voyn1x.

L8nitehackin 09-11-2009 06:59 AM

no luck with -f

Quote:

Originally Posted by JShubert683 (Post 34363)
I have audio, all I did was reboot twice both times with -v -f -F. I am also using the new rc3 of chameleon. My install of SL with basically the old boot 123 way using the required kexts and got a full vanilla install with no issues without even installing through 10.5. So I would say try out the new rc3 and reboot doing -v -f -F and the kext util to repair all extens

Thanks for the suggestions guys.. but still no luck. I removed caches, rebuilt kexts, DSDT does have HDEF, etc... but all is silent.. well except my words of discouragement to myself. For what it's worth, whenever I use -f on restarts, I get KP's at the OS X login screen. I didn't think we needed to force a rebuild of kext's if we generated mkext files to begin with? But I've only read about a million posts over the last few "daze" so all could be blending together and I'm getting confused?!

May try voodoo option as suggested as I have read successes w/that. Might even try rc3 of Chameleon over the weekend since still don't have Chameleon on my main SL partition as it would hang up on installation.

Again... everything else works great in 64bit mode... it's just to quiet! LOL

sk1nhd33t 09-11-2009 07:27 AM

@ L8nitehackin

if you are sure HDEF is in your dsdt then please try the ff:

- copy the legacy kext in your extra extensions (could be the one from voyn1x of the 2 kext on the first post)
- launch terminal
- sudo -s then enter your password
- rm-r /System/Library/Caches/*
- chown -R root:wheel [drag your Extra/Extensions here]
- chmod -R 755 [drag your Extra/Extensions here]
- kextcache -v 1 -m [drag your Extra/Extensions but add .mkext in the end] [drag your Extra/Extensions] [drag your System/Library/Extensions] then press enter
- reboot

test if you have audio by choosing internal speaker on the output tab, if you still dont have audio then voodoohda it is :-|

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3260/...90911at223.png

MonkeyDLuffy 09-11-2009 12:37 PM

Man, you're lucky the only problem you have is audio. I can't even install 10.6 in my setup :(

I don't really know what I'm missing, I've trying several methods but can't get it to work.

Mine can't even boot in -x32 kernel flag.

Could it be that I have 1 stick of 2gb memory? As one poster mentioned earlier?

I tried different kinds of BIOS settings. Oh Btw, sk1nhd33t thanks for posting your BIOS config.

This is just sad :( I'm really hoping that I can experience the "Snow Leoapard" feel soon. I really don't have an idea what it looks like.

joel_ezekiel 09-11-2009 07:46 PM

Hi, I've just got a lovely rev.2 board so i could get my second hackintosh up and running after selling my old one and getting a macbook and then deciding that i wanted a desktop again.

As you know the rev.2 board doesnt have realtek network, first gigabyte board ive seen without one... just my luck. Anyway i went and brought myself an AU$18 TP-Link card with an 8169sc chip on it (i think). Anyway i installed the card and everythong, bonjour, gigabit, etc. works with included drivers from apple. I just finnished setting up 10.5.8 and am having some issues getting sound working, ive managed to get it to work with some hda kexts but the sound is horrible, everything sounds wrong and muffled.

So i havent set up snow leopard yet which is what will be what im using in the end after im done, so i cant check the sound with that. But i was thinking, it only cost me 18 dollars for perfect network, is there a good sound card or even usb sound card that i could get thats as good as the onboard sound (when working properly) for a low low price that would be a much better option?

Thanks for the guides you guys have put up here anyway, has been great help deciding the hardware for this hackintosh, board works very well and was cheap enough for my wife not to kill me :D.

L8nitehackin 09-11-2009 09:01 PM

Dsdt.. Hdef

@sk1nhd33t

I did verify HDEF is listed in DSDT. Now as to whether or not that means I'm ok just because I see it remains to be seen. But I did use the one I got from the first page of this thread with no modifications.. perhaps that's my issue? I've read where you can patch it... but need to research further and see if that would help? I even tried to generate EFI string for HDEF and put in my com.apple.Boot.plist... but still nothing.

Anyway... I'm at a loss as I did go through all your steps and don't seem to be any closer to hearing music?! As I mentioned, sound works flawlessly in 10.5.8.. but I cannot select any device in System preferences / Sound in my SL install. Arrgh..

I've even managed to successfully install 10.5.8 on my Nvidia chipset system which was much more difficult than the gigabyte 10.5.8. ( but haven't tried to put SL on that board yet )

Just as a side note... I have a USB speaker system from Logitech that I decided to plug in just for the heck of it.. and of course it shows up immediately in sound preferences and works great. Now, something else that I haven't tried that may be a possible conflict is I do have a creativesound card installed in one of my PCI slots. I use it when I boot from XP as it's full blown surround for games, movies, etc... perhaps that may be causing some conflicts with my onboard sound? But again.. no issues in 10.5.8.

It's time to take a break for awhile and maybe jump back with a clear mind later. Thnx for everyone's input....

MonkeyDLuffy 09-11-2009 09:07 PM

Hey,

I'm making progress. I can now boot with -x32 -v BUT I can only see a grey screen. I can hover the mouse, not like it is frozen, but that is it. It is just stuck at the grey screen.

What could this be? Anyone?

MonkeyDLuffy 09-12-2009 03:57 AM

Wow, I made it work.

I used all the kext that can be download from this thread and just used the Unofficial Installer of Chameleon RC3 that Dr. Hurt made. That's it! Now I have a fully working Snow Leo! It looks awesome. I'm not yet sure it is stable yet. Doing some testings.

Darn! My Zydas USB wireless doesn't work! :( I can't find any drivers

L8nitehackin 09-12-2009 04:56 AM

kudos to you

Well congrats to you MonkeyDLuffy! When you discover stuff on your own, it only makes you better. Me.. I'm starting to figure it out as well.. just a few weeks ago I attempted my first OS X adventures and now I know enuff to be really dangerous! LOL As do you it sounds like. Speaking of.. still no sound with my built in mobo audio and I've pretty much tried everything that should have worked. ( but am listening to music via my USB Logitech speaker system )

My next attempt will probably be to just buy another hard drive, ( so as not to mess up this 99% SL working install ), and try the newer Chameleon RC3 method.

Anyway.. congrats on your success!

One question to those that may have dual boot systems ... I have another hard drive in my computer that is formatted NTFS that I use for overall data storage ( music, photos, etc... and share with my XP OS ) I point Itunes to use that data ( w/o importing into it's own folder ) to use for playback. One thing I notice.. it's sloooooooow on processing data. Same holds true when just pulling up Disk Utility... it seems to bog down while it polls the system looking for that drive. Without that NTFS formatted drive plugged in, Disk Util pops up quickly. Anyone else experience that? I don't think it's as slow with Leopard, so could be part of my kext setup??? Ahhh... a month ago I had never even heard of that word! LOL

someguy360 09-12-2009 12:34 PM

Anyone got the audio issue fixed yet?

L8nitehackin 09-12-2009 03:32 PM

Audio.. or lack thereof..

I'm still quiet in regards to onboard audio, and have relegated myself to enjoy my hackintosh for awhile using the usb speaker system. There as to be some difference in my hardware from others that are experiencing success as I've tried all suggestions.. and even a complete removal / reinstall of SL and for the life of me cannot get my mobo sound to show up as an option.

I'm gonna mess around and see if there are other glitches I haven't discovered yet before diving back into audio. For now, I'm only seeing a slow down in response on my NTFS formatted hard drive when accessing through SL disk utility. It took forever for Itunes to organize my catalog and generate artwork from that drive.

Sorry, not much to offer in terms of assistance at this point in time.. will update if I uncover something. Good luck...