InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

sublimespot 08-03-2010 04:21 AM

After upgrading my Rev1 mobo to 10.6.4 I lost sound and the built-in Ethernet. I have not been able to get either working... yet.

The strange thing about the Ethernet is this:

I can ping. I can get DHCP. but when I try to use any GUI program like a browser or well, anything, the network is down. I ran tcpdump and it was showing every packet with bad checksum. Not sure what is going on.

rspam 08-05-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublimespot (Post 49861)
After upgrading my Rev1 mobo to 10.6.4 I lost sound and the built-in Ethernet. I have not been able to get either working... yet.

The strange thing about the Ethernet is this:

I can ping. I can get DHCP. but when I try to use any GUI program like a browser or well, anything, the network is down. I ran tcpdump and it was showing every packet with bad checksum. Not sure what is going on.

I have had the same problem. I installed "SnowR1000", that helped.

rwillett 08-05-2010 10:46 AM

I use a PCI card

I found the on-board Rev 1.0 Ethernet card to be a little flaky over a long period of time. Perhaps after a week or two of non-stop use, it would then stop working. Disabling it and then re-enabling it sorted the problem out.

However that and the lack of the promiscuous mode (yes I know there are fixes for it), made me bite the bullet and put a PCI-E network card (Realtek based) in, which works well with no additional non-standard Kexts needed.

I hadn't realised PCI-E cards were so cheap and worked so well, mine cost me £6 (approx $9) and it's great, Bonjour works very well and I have even less non-standard software.

Of course your mileage may vary :)

Rob.

sublimespot 08-07-2010 05:35 AM

Yeah I just bought the Netgear GA311 so the network issue is solved. Going to try to get sound working again..

EDIT:
Using AppleHDA.kext-10.6.4-ALC883.zip from http://www.mediafire.com/?khmky1qwzzz I have audio again

zim2dive 08-09-2010 02:04 PM

I have audio, but next time I lose it, I may just use this USB audio adapter instead: http://www.meritline.com/usb-2-0-to-...--p-27760.aspx .. $3 from meritline.

My issue now is that my hack no longer goes to sleep automatically. It will go to sleep fine if I tell it to, but if I forget it will stay on forever. This was working for me with 10.6.2 (maybe 10.6.3, but I'm not sure). I have the latest SleepEnabler. Was not using any special scripts when it was working, it just did (once I removed the DVD player)

ricky_kid 08-10-2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkrender (Post 48808)
Sorry for the double post, but I feel obligated to post this.

For anyone having trouble getting the audio to work after the 10.6.3 update, I did find a fully working solution that has all features enabled, including front panel audio, microphone and line-in support.

1) You need the AppleHDA.kext file extracted from the 10.6.2 combo update that can be downloaded from Apple.com's downloads. You also need the LegacyALC883.kext from the ES2L Kit listed in the first post of this thread.

2) Use Pacifist to extract the AppleHDA.kext file from the 106.2 combo update from Apple. When browsing through the update, the file should be located in System/Library/Extensions.

3) Replace AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E on your own Hackintosh drive with this older version. Open Disk Utility and repair your permissions.

4) Put LegacyALC883.kext in your /Extras/Extensions folder (located in the root of your Hackintosh drive.) Use the pfix utility to repair the permissions on drive.

5) Restart and you should be golden.

**Be aware that I'm no expert on this. I'm guessing you'll also need a patched dsdt.aml file that's outline in the first post of this thread. I also doubt this fix will work with other models/brands of motherboards.)

I want to point out that my sound only worked with 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext without LegacyALC883.kext in /Extras/Extensions. I now have 10.6.4 fully working with sound and everything.

Edit: That is to say that LegacyALC883.kext actually broke the sound for me, so if you're having problems with the 10.6.2 kext, try it without LegacyALC883.kext.

rwillett 08-17-2010 03:01 PM

iPad and G31M-ES2L usb problem fixed

I recently won a 64GB iPad, :) , and wanted to connect it up to my Hackintosh.

My iPods connect fine and it's never been an issue, so I assumed that the iPad would be just as easy, how wrong can I be.

I connected the iPad up using the supplied USB cable through an external powered hub. Nothing, I used a second powered hub, nothing. Power was coming through but iTunes would not recognise the iPad.

Check "About this Mac" and could see the iPad in the USB list, unplugged, plugged in, nothing.

I did see a number of messages in the Console about usbmuxd errors. Googling didn't help particularly :(

An Apple forum message suggested uninstalling iTunes and reinstalling. I also think that a reinstall is the last gasp of the desperate, but since I was no desparate I did it, lo and behold, I get a sync and I got a backup made in iTunes. Unplugged the iPad, plugged it back in, nothing, rebooted, nothing, changed USB slots to motherboard, numerous different hubs, different cables, back up Hackintosh (using Rev 2 motherboard), nothing, zilch, nada. I could see the iPad in the USB section of About this mac but couldn't get iTunes to recognise the iPad.

I then decided to uninstall iTunes again and reinstall again. No real reason, simply ran out of sensible ideas. The second reinstall (and nothing else changed) seemed to work and for the last week has synced with zero problems.

So one reinstall failed but two worked. This is weird, odd but seemed to work for me.

Rob.

ricky_kid 08-21-2010 07:43 PM

Anyone install the Graphics Update? How did it go?

rwillett 08-21-2010 07:58 PM

I did the graphics upgrade. Made no difference as I don't play games.

Rob

ricky_kid 08-21-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwillett (Post 50204)
I did the graphics upgrade. Made no difference as I don't play games.

Rob

Everything worked fine tho? No trouble booting or anything? What video card are you using?

zooloo 09-02-2010 06:52 PM

Hi all.

I have a stable 10.6.0 on my hackintosh (G31M-ES2L) ... I want to try out some games on Steam and according to the hardware/software reqs I need to be on 10.6.3 or later.

My 10.6.0 was not done using this guide, but rather one I found on insanelymac.... does this matter or do you clever people think the methods suggested in this thread will work to update my system to 10.6.4? :)

Also, another (possibly dumb) question .. if I was to go ahead with the update, is it best to download the stand alone combo updates from Apple or just use the software update from within OSX?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

cheers... zooloo

funkkube 09-02-2010 10:56 PM

G31M-ES2L Motherboard Snow Leopard Install NO SOUND HELP

HI
I installed from a stick with MYHACK(latest version) on it from retail DVD.
Worked like a charm.
Updated to 10.6.4.. Working great.
9600gt gfx all good..ethernet good..
I cannot however get the sound to work..
Working ok on 10.5.8 but I guess I am doing something wrong..
Installed the 883 kext in the extra folder.. run kext utility and just to make sure pf fix.. rebooted no joy..
is the dsdt needed in the extra folder for sound to work?
I took the myhack one compiled it ok and stuck it in the extra folder but still no joy.. The myhack dsdt.aml file was created based on the same motherboard.
Can anyone help me please as I am getting frustrated!! :-(
Cheers in advance
Mat

blazingangel1986 09-06-2010 09:20 PM

Iatkos s3 snow leopard 10.6.3

anybody have any idea how to go about installing snow leopard on this this board g31m-e2sl ?? graphic card is a PCIE ATI HD 4300 processor is an Intel Pentium D 3.00 ghz CPU

ive attempted several times i always get a kernel panic or in one case a grey screen with nothing not even the mouse? im wondering if should take out the graphics card and give it a go with the onboard card? can i then later install the card without any issues

rwillett 09-15-2010 09:24 PM

I suggest you read the first page of this thread, if you follow the instructions it does work. If it doesn't it's because you have deviated from the path.

I have used it to install on the V1 and V2 version of this motherboard. The onboard graphics cards will actually work, though only at 1280x1024 or 1024x800. Can't remember which one, but you will see a Mac desktop. Only then would I try and use your graphics card. No idea if your card will work, as never used it. I stuck to Asus 9400 and 9600 and they work out the box which is nice.

Rob.

rwillett 09-15-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricky_kid (Post 50212)
Everything worked fine tho? No trouble booting or anything? What video card are you using?

Whoops,

Missed this reply. I use (or used until tonight) an Asus 9400GT. Works perfectly well for me with zero hassle. No messing around with nvcap or strings or any of that rubbish. No upgrade hassles at all, zero, zilch, null and nil.

As of tonight I have an Asus 9600GT Silent which also "just works". I unplugged my 9400GT, plugged in the 9600GT and it all "just worked". No changes.

Quartz works, hardware acceleration works, it's silent (no fans) and I'm happy. Is it the latest and greatest? No, but I use my Hack for work and I like it simple and easy.

Rob.

rwillett 09-15-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooloo (Post 50493)
Hi all.

I have a stable 10.6.0 on my hackintosh (G31M-ES2L) ... I want to try out some games on Steam and according to the hardware/software reqs I need to be on 10.6.3 or later.

My 10.6.0 was not done using this guide, but rather one I found on insanelymac.... does this matter or do you clever people think the methods suggested in this thread will work to update my system to 10.6.4? :)

Also, another (possibly dumb) question .. if I was to go ahead with the update, is it best to download the stand alone combo updates from Apple or just use the software update from within OSX?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

cheers... zooloo

The big issue with the upgrades is the Sleepenabler kext. I have never, ever got sleep to work and have tried everything in the 60 pages in this thread. I have even built a second identical system to test this out on (yes I'm mad, but it's still cheaper than a Mac Pro and I was annoyed) and cannot get sleep to ever work. So I pulled the sleepenabler.kext, rebuilt the system and upgraded to 10.6.4 with no problems.

AFAIK there are no differences between upgrading through standalones or direct downloads or through a dedicated Apple server. I run a Mac Mini with a fully legit copy of Snow Leopard Server on, and use that as my distribution point for mac upgrades. However I have used the combo upgrades in the past as well with no differences.

Rob

JShubert683 09-16-2010 04:59 AM

to fix the sound takes some research but its EASY download the newest multibeast run it DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING BUT the AppleHDA 10.6.2 rollback install to a pfix reboot wala sound....

heckenschutze 09-17-2010 07:05 PM

complete success. this thread alone was so in depth and precise. Thank you to everyone and what worked/didn't work for you.

i purchased all of the parts from Newegg, aside the a case, power supply and hard drive. Spent $407 total - 2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Quad, Gigabyte G31m-ES2L Mobo, nVidia GeForce 9500GT, DVD-ROM & 8GB Flash Drive.

I am running 10.6.4 w/ Built-In Ethernet and Sound. Don't recall my exact ways of getting it to all work, but use that ethernet kext a few pages back, works wonders. I know I used the AppleHDA.kext but don't recall if I used the ALC883.kext or LegacyALC883.kext.

REMOVE sleepenabler.kext BEFORE using Software Update & upgrading to 10.6.4

So far my system is stable; been running for hours (i did turn off Sleep though) So far I have Final Cut Studio 3 installed and waiting for Avid Media Composer 5.0 - Should be interesting to see how my Hackintosh handles editing RED Cam & 5D Footage (if possible).

ARD works great as well :) can connect to my Hackintosh from my iMac at work using RealVNC.

Only issue I ran into early in my progress b4 10.6.4 update was a system freeze when trying to boot up after installing the AppleHDA.kext file using KextHelper. (I didn't repair permissions b4 my restart which I think was the issue, I tried to boot into the OSX Installer via USB Drive & repair that way, but no dice, I had to reinstall). After that, I ran Disk Utility>Repair Permissions & the pfix from the myHack collection everytime I installed new kexts.

O and this is my first official Hackintosh; I've been running Leopard in VMWare from my Windows 7 machine for some time; but just couldn't use any software and it was rather slow.

Happy Hacking!

yys2000 09-19-2010 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkkube (Post 50499)
HI
I installed from a stick with MYHACK(latest version) on it from retail DVD.
Worked like a charm.
Updated to 10.6.4.. Working great.
9600gt gfx all good..ethernet good..
I cannot however get the sound to work..
Working ok on 10.5.8 but I guess I am doing something wrong..
Installed the 883 kext in the extra folder.. run kext utility and just to make sure pf fix.. rebooted no joy..
is the dsdt needed in the extra folder for sound to work?
I took the myhack one compiled it ok and stuck it in the extra folder but still no joy.. The myhack dsdt.aml file was created based on the same motherboard.
Can anyone help me please as I am getting frustrated!! :-(
Cheers in advance
Mat

Please post your hardware config, such as video card,etc.:D

heckenschutze 09-20-2010 07:59 PM

My Specs:

G31M-ES2L Motherboard
nVidia GeForce 9500GT PCI-e GPU
4GB DDR2 800 Memory
200GB SATA II Hard Drive
DVD-ROM
Onboard Sound w/ VoodooHDA kext
Onboard Ethernet w/ AR8131 kext
Snow Leopard 10.6.4
Avid Media Composer 5.0
Final Cut Studio 3
MPEG Streamclip
Handbrake

I was using the LegacyALC883 & AppleHDA kexts but they kept crashing my Avid due to "failed to initialize audio hardware", but I found the VoodooHDA kext, tried it and BAM! works great plus it gives me the port selection in Audio Options

My system has been running stable for 3 Days about 4-8hrs per day. Haven't had a chance to test Avid & Final Cut, but hopefully I will this week sometime. I'll be running some RED Cam Footage and 5D Footage to test and see how it handles on the Hack Pro.

zcream 09-25-2010 01:33 PM

/Extra backup

I installed Chameleon and General Extensions using Netbook Installer in order to upgrade to 10.6.4 (I dont know why I thought 10.6.4 might be a problem).

Now I get a crash while booting. I did not backup my /Extra folder.
Could someone please put up a zipped copy of their Extra folder ? I have the ES2L with the AtherosL1C ethernet.

My system crashed on the HPET error if thats important.

cdoublejj 09-25-2010 09:27 PM

How do i do this with out another mac. I have an iso with kexts/hacks but, it just asks me to reboot after install cause there is something wrong. My question is how do i do this with out a Mac. and will be able to get updates from Mac. Do you have to inter a key after/during install like windows?

I might mention i plan installing on the gigabyte G31M-ES2L on quad boot with XP, 7, and Ubuntu 9.10.
oh there is a kext out for the network on later revisions of the G31M-ES2L mine being one.

jofmatos 10-07-2010 05:19 PM

Guys, I know its annoying to be repetitive, but I cant situate in what situation this thread is... I just bought this board, rev 2.0, installed retail 1.6.0 with iBoot, and then upgreaded with multibeast 1.6.4, with voodooHDA + voodooPS2, and with kext helper I tried AtherosL1cEthernet from 4shared that Ive found... and NOTHING works! Only my geforce 8400gs. I cant even turn off my computer... and as I read, 10.6.4 doesnt seems to be compatible with 10.6.2 kexts. I mean, i am very confused, can anyone help me out?

Greetings from Brazil!

rwillett 10-07-2010 05:38 PM

You are mixing up multiple installation methods, therefore chaos will ensue.

I have a Release 1 board and a Release 2 board. Both work with the guide at the front of this thread. The guide at the front doesn't talk about iBoot or Multiboot, so don't use them here. Start at the beginning and work through the first post in this thread. It does work as I have done it on a number of occasions.

If you want any help, start at the first post, download the various files in the links and work your way through each step in order. if you find yourself stuck on a particular step, then ask for help. But do follow the steps in the first post. You do not need to look at any other post to get the OS installed.

Things you need to know:

1. State exactly what you have done to get it working based on the steps in the first post. Do not mix kexts up from other installation methods and hope it will work, it may but then again it may not and nobody has any idea what state your install is now in. I repeat the install instructions do work for both revisions of the G31M-ESL board. The more information you give, the more chance of somebody helping you. Whining doesn't help.

2. Ignore peripheral issues like sound and graphics, get a base install working first. You say you have the R2 release board therefore you will NOT get ethernet working on the MB, disable it in the bios and get a supported ethernet card. I have ethernet cards that work in the PCI slot and the PCI-E slot. The Ethernet cards are cheap $5-$15 range. You're saving hundreds of dollars on a mac, get a supported ethernet card and don't try to get some obscure manufacturer to work.

2. Sleep is a major pain and I have never got it to work. I remove the sleepenabler.kext and you will need to remove it to get the updates to work. Do not do updates until you have a stable system, if it's not stable for 10.6.0 it will NOT be stable at 10.6.4.

3. Sound can be a pain on both R1 and R2 boards, I use an external USB sound card, the iMic to get around this problem.

So go to step 1 on the first post, download the files and work your way through it line by line. When you don't understand ask, but as many people will state, the instructions do work.

[Edited to update information]

zim2dive 10-07-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jofmatos (Post 51058)
Guys, I know its annoying to be repetitive, but I cant situate in what situation this thread is... I just bought this board, rev 2.0, installed retail 1.6.0 with iBoot, and then upgreaded with multibeast 1.6.4, with voodooHDA + voodooPS2, and with kext helper I tried AtherosL1cEthernet from 4shared that Ive found... and NOTHING works! Only my geforce 8400gs. I cant even turn off my computer... and as I read, 10.6.4 doesnt seems to be compatible with 10.6.2 kexts. I mean, i am very confused, can anyone help me out?

Greetings from Brazil!

If you want help from this thread, you might want to use the method FROM this thread, post #1.

naujoks 10-08-2010 05:07 PM

Just a bit of good news (for me):
I managed to get everything to work just perfectly -

- Sleep
- Graphics (out of box with Geforce 8800GT)
- CPU E5300
- Installed on IDE disk (not SATA)
- Dual Boot with Windows
- Sound (using VoodooHDA)
- Ethernet (using the Atheros driver floating about here somewhere)
- Snow Leopard 10.6.4 32 bit

The only thing which I don't like is that the fonts on my TFT screen look decidedly blurry compared to the Windows 7 fonts (the screen IS running at its native 1280x1024 resolution!). Under XP I'd probably run something like Clearview. Is there a similar kind of thing for Macs?

Otherwise very very happy!

jofmatos 10-08-2010 08:33 PM

did you try to change the refresh rate?
and how's your mic going, working?

congrats, man! :)

naujoks 10-08-2010 10:18 PM

I've just read something about trying to change the font smoothing setting under Appearance. That might help. I'll try that. Refresh rate untouched so far.

Haven't tried mic, but I have not needed one in all my life (counting 40 years so far), so I'm not worried about it...

rudypooch 10-09-2010 09:53 PM

Stuck at Preparing Installation

Hey guys, thanks for making this guide. I need a little help though. I am using a G31M-ES2L trying to install from a retail copy of SL 10.6.3 that is mounted on a USB-HDD. I am using an E3300 which the BIOS reads as 1.8Ghz for some reason, not 2.5Ghz. In any case, my issue is that I am getting stuck at the "Preparing Installation" screen. The bar just keeps moving. I can access Utilities and such, but I can't chose a destination to install. Also the options I had during the myHack bit (under customize) were different than the options presented on the first page, I checked everything that was listed that I could. Please assist. Thanks!

zim2dive 10-19-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudypooch (Post 51083)
Hey guys, thanks for making this guide. I need a little help though. I am using a G31M-ES2L trying to install from a retail copy of SL 10.6.3 that is mounted on a USB-HDD. I am using an E3300 which the BIOS reads as 1.8Ghz for some reason, not 2.5Ghz. In any case, my issue is that I am getting stuck at the "Preparing Installation" screen. The bar just keeps moving. I can access Utilities and such, but I can't chose a destination to install. Also the options I had during the myHack bit (under customize) were different than the options presented on the first page, I checked everything that was listed that I could. Please assist. Thanks!

you may need to manually set the clock multipliers in BIOS.

zim2dive 10-19-2010 04:43 PM

has anyone tried this version of FakeSMC?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=234452

maybe we'd finally have better temperature reporting.

And has anyone ever gotten the fans to do anything but run at max?

simsim 10-19-2010 11:17 PM

Replacement for g31m

For those who are looking for a replacement for G31M-ES2L....

One morning my motherboard was dead, fans spinning but black screen, no bios, nothing.
After trying a bunch of stuff I decided to get a new board.
I got the GA-G41M-ES2L ver. 1.1
It booted with my hard drive I had set up for the g31m (10.6.4).

Only thing missing was sound. I fixed that by running AzaliaAudio.pkg from this thread at insanelymac:

Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G41M-ES2L

The board look very similar, although my g31 board had nicer, golden heatsinks :-)

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5098/gigabyteq.jpg

dooododoo 11-02-2010 06:24 AM

Cannot Boot in 64 Bit

I decided to do a complete reinstall of SL and update to 10.6.4. I have had my system running 10.6.1 vanilla perfectly (except auto sleep) in 64 bit following the OP's directions.

This time I used MultiBeast to install SL. I left the <string> for "Kernel Flags" blank in my Boot.plist (as I did before) to boot in 64-bit, but after the Apple logo screen with the circling chasing bars, I never get to the desktop, but instead, I freeze on a blank blue screen. But when I put in "-x32" on the Chameleon screen, I am able to boot into the desktop.

When I type in "ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi" in Terminal, I get ""firmware-abi" = <"EFI64">." So I should be able to boot in 64-bit mode.

How come a system that ran in 64-bit mode under 10.6.1, will not run in 64-bit mode under 10.6.4? I tried using the same boot file, smbios.plist, boot.plist, fakesmc, and much more to get it to work under 64-bit mode.

GTR-33 11-05-2010 07:37 PM

Updated from 10.6.0 to 10.6.4 Everything works as it did before except sound. Xbench score went up from 147 to 159 including disc tests and seems faster. Perhaps It wasn't running 64bit before and now is? Is there an easy check for this?

Rev 2 board
E6300 2.8
9400 GT QE/CI working out the box. I think this card has native drivers. It's always worked for me and is a decent low end card. 9500 GT IIRC is also native and is a better card.
2GB DDR2 800

edit: tried the azaliaaudio patch above and it worked great. Audio is working again. Make sure you don't have any other kexts loading at the same time or it won't work.

shadowro 11-06-2010 03:31 AM

any1 know if this Asus ENGT220 videocard works in our configs?
here to buy
thx

webplus 11-08-2010 03:20 PM

In Case of Sleep and Audio Problems with G31M-ES2L (revs 1 and 2)

I've got Snow Leopard 10.6.4 completely working on the Gigabyte G31M-ES2L (have rev 1 and 2 boards).

If anyone is having Sleep problems, make sure you have the latest SleepEnabler.kext in your Extra/Extensions folder, and it seems that a 'compatible' graphics card (i.e. NVidia or ATI) may be the key to getting sleep to work. I tried to get sleep working on an ASRock mobo, as well as both Gigabyte mobos (Snow Leopard) using the onboard graphics and they would never sleep (same may be true for incompatible graphics cards).

I put a PNY NVidia GeForce 9400 GT into the rev 1 and sleep worked. I put a PNY NVidia GeForce 8400 GS into the rev 2 and sleep worked. I also tried the 9400 in the ASRock mobo - and sleep worked. I'm using the EFI String (via OSX86Tools) for the appropriate graphics card in the system's com.apple.Boot.plist (Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration). I tried the NVEnabler kext before using the EFI String and initially it worked, but then broke after updating the SleepEnable.kext, so for me, the EFI String option has worked best for sleep and graphics. I've been using that method on my rev 1 mobo all year and never had a single problem - and sleep has always worked 100% (with updated SleepEnabler.kexts).

For audio problems, try AppleAzaliaAudio.kext (goes into System/Library/Extensions via 'Kext Helper b7'). I've tried other audio kexts but had problems with them (i.e. audio distortion after sleep), so AAA kext has worked brilliantly for me on 4 different mobos (both Leopard and Snow Leopard) over the last 18 months.

DmitryAE 11-15-2010 01:49 PM

10.6.5 ????

Hi!

Did anyone update to 10.6.5??? No problems?

Thanks

lokigfx 11-15-2010 10:25 PM

I've performed an update to 10.6.5 and all works apart from sound.

I tried couple of things, such as:
http://www.dailyblogged.com/updating...eopard-10-6-5/
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately no luck with sound.
If anyone has worked out the sound for the 10.6.5, any help would be appreciated :)

dooododoo 11-18-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublimespot (Post 48807)
I put AtherosL1cEthernet.kext in my Extensions folder for LAN success on v2 boards. After doing this I lost sound and have to boot with -f EVERY TIME in order to get the system to boot. grr. Also this v2 board has random crashes quite a bit. My v1 board is rock solid.

I had the same problem. Delete the atherosl1cthernet.kext in E/E and put one in S/L/E, run Kext Utility, and reboot.

It's strange because people with the rev2 board have it in the E/E and it works for them.

andymodem 11-21-2010 12:47 AM

Updated today to 10.6.5.

Removed 10.6.4 Sleepenabler, installed 10.6.5, rebooted and installed 10.6.5 Sleepenabler, and ran the 10.6.2 AppleHDA installer. Everything is working great here.

disco monkey 12-03-2010 07:15 PM

I'm having a hard time with this update.
I removed 10.6.4 sleepnabler. Update to 10.6.5.
Reboot and it only lets me boot in 32bit. 64bit results in a blue screen.
Install the audio fix and 10.6.5 sleepenabler and run pfix.
Reboot in 32bit works perfect. 64bit results in a kernel panic.

has anyone else been able to boot 10.6.5 in 64bit?

Chk 12-11-2010 11:08 PM

Kernel panic G31M-ES2L

Good evening,
I am entitled to a kernel panic, I booted into arch = i386 and-x and-v arch = i386, no success for the three combination.

http://front1.monsterup.com/upload/1292097738754.jpg
http://front1.monsterup.com/upload/129209773975.jpg
http://front1.monsterup.com/upload/1292102975695.jpg
I use this version of Snow Leopard: Mac-OS-X-10.6-Snow-Leopard-Final-Retail--ISO-BOOTABLE

Here's my setup:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4Ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L
Graphics Card: Nvidia 9600 GSO 512 1GB Palit

ropuri 12-12-2010 03:29 PM

G41-ES2L Install Boot does not recognise my Windows 7 install

I have OS X 10.6.4 Installed and fully functional on my G41-ES2L Board using the instructions on :
http://osx86.co/f19/guide-retail-sno...or-g41m-t5351/

I also have Windows 7 Installed on a separate HD on the same box, but when I boot up using OS X as the primary Disk, the Boot loader does not show the Windows Partition when I click any key on bootup..

I can boot to the Windows partition using the Bios and switching to the Windows partition but would like to have the option of Windows showing up in the OS X Boot loader..

Any help is appreciated ?

bobble666 12-14-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disco monkey (Post 51680)
I'm having a hard time with this update.
I removed 10.6.4 sleepnabler. Update to 10.6.5.
Reboot and it only lets me boot in 32bit. 64bit results in a blue screen.
Install the audio fix and 10.6.5 sleepenabler and run pfix.
Reboot in 32bit works perfect. 64bit results in a kernel panic.

has anyone else been able to boot 10.6.5 in 64bit?

I managed to run the update with zero issues; run a v2.0 board, 2 x 2gb Corsair ram, 2.8ghz chip, external usb sound card, 8600 gfx

also got the onbard NIC kext that was posted on insanely mac recently so can report 100% works - can't comment on any elses (I guess it depends on your kexts, etc.)

zim2dive 12-24-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokigfx (Post 51438)
I've performed an update to 10.6.5 and all works apart from sound.

I tried couple of things, such as:
http://www.dailyblogged.com/updating...eopard-10-6-5/
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately no luck with sound.
If anyone has worked out the sound for the 10.6.5, any help would be appreciated :)

Update for me went smoothly.. removed Sleepenabler, ran ket util, downloaded the 10.6.5 update + audio + new sleep enabler as per the 1st link.. ran the update, rebooted, installed sleep enabler + audio, ran kext util, rebooted again.

I noticed that my CPU clock multiplier had again been reset.. I have a 2.5GHz E5200 that I was running on a mild overclock, but the mult value was reset to 2.3GHz.. not sure why that happens?

Also not going to sleep.. the display will sleep, but the machine will not auto-sleep. I don't have an internal DVD (external USB, usually powered off). It will sleep just fine if I put it to sleep thru the menu. I don't think auto-sleep has worked for me since 10.6.2, or roughly thereabouts. Even thru the menu it takes ~20 seconds to sleep after I tell it to.

alltoorobot 12-24-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zim2dive (Post 51888)
Update for me went smoothly.. removed Sleepenabler, ran ket util, downloaded the 10.6.5 update + audio + new sleep enabler as per the 1st link.. ran the update, rebooted, installed sleep enabler + audio, ran kext util, rebooted again.

I noticed that my CPU clock multiplier had again been reset.. I have a 2.5GHz E5200 that I was running on a mild overclock, but the mult value was reset to 2.3GHz.. not sure why that happens?

Also not going to sleep.. the display will sleep, but the machine will not auto-sleep. I don't have an internal DVD (external USB, usually powered off). It will sleep just fine if I put it to sleep thru the menu. I don't think auto-sleep has worked for me since 10.6.2, or roughly thereabouts. Even thru the menu it takes ~20 seconds to sleep after I tell it to.

Hey zim2dive,
Long time no see. You helped me with my OC a long time ago. I'm still on the same set up for now. I just lost my overclock and I looked up your old settings. Wondering what you have done to your system lately. I can't upgrade easily since I run a dual monitor setup with dvi-vga and a dvi-hdmi. Updates always seam to break these.

I saw you mention fakesmc a little while ago. Have you had any luck with reading temps? If so could you post your fakesmc your using? Im also looking to push the OC a bit more if possible maybe open up the ram mhz too. What do you think? Ive heard our board is a bit limited on OC ability.

Im looking to update to a core i7 for video editing. I want at least 12g of ram !
Any suggestions any one? Im also looking to keep it under 600 if possible :-)

good to see this thread alive and well, ill read through more of the updates when I get a chance.

zim2dive 12-26-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alltoorobot (Post 51889)
Hey zim2dive,
Long time no see. You helped me with my OC a long time ago. I'm still on the same set up for now. I just lost my overclock and I looked up your old settings. Wondering what you have done to your system lately. I can't upgrade easily since I run a dual monitor setup with dvi-vga and a dvi-hdmi. Updates always seam to break these.

I saw you mention fakesmc a little while ago. Have you had any luck with reading temps? If so could you post your fakesmc your using? Im also looking to push the OC a bit more if possible maybe open up the ram mhz too. What do you think? Ive heard our board is a bit limited on OC ability.

Im looking to update to a core i7 for video editing. I want at least 12g of ram !
Any suggestions any one? Im also looking to keep it under 600 if possible :-)

good to see this thread alive and well, ill read through more of the updates when I get a chance.

Short version on OC.. I had been using my settings from http://osx86.co/f57/guide-retail-sno...post41881.html but now, I can't get CPU Host Clock Control to stay "on".. ie. I go to the settings.. get all set up for 3GHz, save to BIOS, and it reboots and shows the values with the Host Freq back down to 200MHz.. so no dice.

For FakeSMC, I just tried every version I could find... encountering KPs and/or a machine that would not reboot, finally settling on Fake SMC 454 and IntelThermal from http://www.projectosx.com/forum/inde...showtopic=1643... put these in E/E....and now I have temps AND auto-sleep.

Sorry, can't recommend anything i7.. I haven't really paid much attention to what the easiest socket-1156 hackintosh is.. our G31M had to be one of the best for our socket.

EDIT: I added the SuperIO and ACPI plugins from the same page. I can see fan speed, but not clear to me that any contol is happening yet.
EDIT2: I lost audio somewhere in the above (had it initially after 10.6.5 upgrade). F-it... rather than fight it, I had a $2 USB audio stick laying around.. I plugged that in and will use that instead.

zim2dive 12-30-2010 10:01 PM

I got my OC back... I reset the CMOS (jumper) (taking pics of all my settings 1st) and replaced the CMOS battery (even tho it showed a proper voltage).

Currently running with
CPU 11.5x (2.875 GHz)
CPU Host clock enabled
CPU Host freq 250
PCI freq 100
SPD 2.66
Sys Volt Auto

If I understand what I'm doing (and that's not a given) this puts memory at its default freq, but changes the base freq so there is more upside for the CPU multiplier. In theory it could go up to 3.125 GHz (with 12.5X). I'll run with 2.875 for now and verify that it sticks for a while.

davidy123 01-03-2011 07:22 AM

New build and 10.6.5 upgrade success

I've just completed my first install and upgrade on some old HW I have for a HTPC. On-board sound (both "internal speakers" and optical digital audio), on-board network, and sleep (both manual and automatic with wake from sleep) all work. Only thing I couldn't get is 64-bit.

1) Installed by followed all instructions in post #1.
2) Remove SleepEnabler.kext from E/E.
3) Followed steps 1-8 here: http://www.dailyblogged.com/updating...eopard-10-6-5/ (from post #688; thanks lokigfx), except I had to use a different version of Apple HDA.kext (http://www.mediafire.com/?khmky1qwzzz; from port #654; thanks sublimespot). FYI - AppleHDA.kext goes in S/L/E, not E/E. (Yes, I'm a noob.)
4) Installed the 10.6.5 SleepEnabler.kext (I can't find the link right now but it is easy to find).

Lots of repairing permissions, pfix, reboots, etc. are implied. I did run into some trouble with network and sleep working but that went away after a bunch of reboots.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting 64-bit working again? It broke before I applied the 10.6.5 SleepEnabler.

My setup:
G31M-ES2L (I think rev. 2) w/ digital audio
E7400 2.80
G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 PC2-6400
Gigabyte GeForce 7200GS 256MB
BTW211 Bluetooth adapter
Twisted Mellon IR receiver

Thanks to everyone who has come before and made this possible.

Keyno 01-07-2011 12:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm, does someone of you have a second sata hdd?
Well, I have one and it is very very slow, someone knows why?
After a bit googling I found this thread: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=564
But I just don't get it to work for me...

my config:
G31M-ES2L rev. 1.0
E7500 @ 2,93GHz
2x 2GB Kingston ValueRAM 800MHz
SSD OCZ Agility 2 40GB - Snow Leopard 10.6.6 on it
HDD Samsung Spinpoint F2 500 GB - all data (music, photos...) and Snow 10.6.5 as backup on it

At anyway my iTunes needs about 5 seconds to load a song, which is just amazingly slow...
XBench just shows exactly that. about 0.5MB/s in read???
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7...4355907336.png

So I tried patching my DSDT, I already built it several times with different compilers, but always the same...
Could someone please take a look on that or tell me his experience for a second sata drive? Attached there is my DSDT.dsl.

Otherwise, thank you very much for your guide, I just got everything working instead of sleep (no enabler works for me in 64bit, but in 32bit the AppleHDA won't work anymore...) and my slow sata drive :(

Thanks in advance and sorry if my english is not the best ;)