InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

dooododoo 11-02-2009 04:35 AM

is anyone experiencing slow wake ups? is that something associated with this setup or hackintoshes in general? my wake ups have been fine for about a couple of months, but recently, it takes awhile for mouse clicks, keyboard key-presses, and wifi to respond/activate. (my screen turns on right away though.) any thoughts?

infiniteThanks 11-02-2009 07:52 AM

Audio problems I faced and fixed

iztec, jetpr : I made every mistake as far as audio is concerned but now it is all good. Here is some stuff:
(a) Use the the DSDT update posted by brfransen,
(b) Update the extensions.mkext under /Extra. It may be that the LegacyALC883.kext is not being picked up. Look for a posting by me, infinitethanks, for a long way to do it and responses by smarter people to my posting for a short way to do it.
(b) Use option, system profiler to check the audio profile. If it is not available, you may not have set the audio to auto in bios.
(c) when everything is set correctly, my audio profile looks like the following:
Device ID: 0x1458A002
Audio ID: 883
Available Devices:
Speaker:
Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack
Line Out:
Line Out:
Line Out:
Internal Microphone:
Connection: Internal
External Microphone:
Line In:
Headphone:
S/P-DIF Out:
Connection: RCA

My Bios version is F8
Thank you

cj95 11-02-2009 06:09 PM

Hello, i don't have the SL disc, but I have the dmg on my computer. Is there any other way I can install without having the disc?

My system is as follows:
E6300 pentium dual core 2.8 ghz
ga-g31m-es2l Not sure what rev
2 gb patriot 800 mhz ddr2
9600 gt

Thanks in advance.:)

Jocelyn84 11-03-2009 01:12 AM

cj95, just drag the snowleopard_10a432_userdvd.dmg file to source box and drag the sd/hdd (partiton) you're using to the destination box. :)

spudstud450 11-04-2009 04:10 AM

Who knows about the video. I am running rev 2 of this board. Everything works like a champ, except sometimes I get artifacts in certain graphics programs. (Inkscape,chess,...) Also every once in 50 times it wakes from sleep I get a grey screen, with red,blue and green static.

If I understand correct, Chameleon rev 3 should automatically detect my 9600 GT 512. Any insights? Feel free to PM me until I get this resolved.

evil g 11-04-2009 07:10 PM

99% there.. but no network?

i'm an IT pro, but a newbie when it comes to osx86...

have a g31m-es2l running SL.. sound, but no networking?/ i mean nothing in the prefs panel?

i must be missing a kext or something

Thoughts?

brfransen 11-04-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evil g (Post 38824)
i'm an IT pro, but a newbie when it comes to osx86...

have a g31m-es2l running SL.. sound, but no networking?/ i mean nothing in the prefs panel?

i must be missing a kext or something

Thoughts?

If it is a rev 2.0 board there are no drivers in OS X that work for the on board ethernet. I use this PCI card in my rev 2.0 and it uses the drivers built into SL. No other hacking required.

Britney

RogerExplosion 11-07-2009 08:08 AM

Just as a bit of a side note to this method - which absolutely rules BTW - the attached Realtek 32bit network driver causes Kernel Panics and random freezing of the OS several times daily.

I've got a whole bunch of machines with Rev 1 of this board with F8 bios and it's taken me weeks to figure out that it wasn't hardware causing the KP's.

With F7 and F10 bios, any SL install method doesn't see the ethernet card. It seems that only F8 (maybe some of the F9's going around?) works.

Needing Bonjour to be active is necessary for all my computers so I was running in 32bit kernel mode solely because the ethernet driver needed to have the new ifconfig installed (didn't want to remove the vanilla one).

There are a bunch of kext's over at "Stell's Blog" - just Google it and browse to the "Prepare Yourself" post. I moved the RTL1000 kext into the /E/E folder and upon first boot, in 64 bit mode, Bonjour worked perfectly.

Maybe it could be included in the method as an option for Bonjour when booting in 64 bit mode?

James

AvvY 11-07-2009 11:30 AM

thanx for this guide. I now have a working system using a rev 2.0 board. I did encounter some issues, but resolved them with the following:

I used the latest myHack installer, and ran the dsdt patcher instead of compiling my own. I used an EN8400GS graphics card and a Netgear GA311 PCI ethernet card.

Everything seems to work 100% and I'm thrilled.

riffd00d 11-07-2009 12:21 PM

Thanks to this awesome guide, I have had success in installing SL on my first (rev 1.1 F8) Hackintosh.

I followed the guide exactly, but I chose to go with the onboard video. I suffered from the same problems mentioned previously in this thread - sleep not functioning correctly, etc.

So I decided to go out & get a 9800GT. Using this guide I seem to have gotten it working OK, but I still have the following issue:

Sleep (auto & manual) seems to work OK, but the display won't wake up. The PC itself seems to wake up fine, but the display won't. I have to reset the PC & then I can't get back into the OS unless I use the -pci0 switch.

Of course, the sleepenabler ketx (etc.) have been installed, as per guide.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I might be doing wrong ?

blancmaison 11-07-2009 04:42 PM

boot from usb hdd not pen drive

Can you do this from a usb hdd not a pen drive ? currently I have one usb hdd but not a pen drive, when I do boot rom it all i get is the blinking cursor at the top of the screen ? any help ?

Jocelyn84 11-07-2009 10:21 PM

blancmaison
Yes! An external hdd works, as it's how I did my install on a rev 2 board. I even had a drive with 2 partitions, added a third 10gb partition, and put snow install on it. I'm not sure if it matters, but is your drive guid partition mapped?

infiniteThanks 11-08-2009 02:59 AM

Everything working, now trying to add Ubuntu 9.10

I followed the guide and my system has been up and running for many days now. Many thanks to people on this forum. I even upgraded the system from a lowly E5200 to a Q9550. I guess I want to do more.

(a) Add a clean Ubuntu
I installed Ubuntu and then reinstalled Chameleon. Chameleon recognizes the Linux partition. When I select the linux partition and boot, grub complains about unknown file system and then throws me into grub rescue.

This is the latest and greatest Ubuntu 9.10. Ubuntu boots after installation but does not boot after Chameleon is installed even when Chameleon can see the Linux partition.

Ubuntu is now using ext4 as default file system.

(b) Restore Ubuntu from another machine instead of installing a clean copy. I have not go this far yet. I guess I will use dd (with care).

So yeah, I am asking for trouble and probably deserve it but any advice from someone who has done a clean install or better yet, a restore from another Ubuntu install under Chameleon, will be appreciated.

infiniteThanks 11-08-2009 07:15 AM

Got Ubuntu 9.10 and ES2L hackintosh running fine now !!!

I could not get Chameleon to launch OSX so I decided to use grub to launch OSX. Ubuntu 9.10 has moved to Grub 2, different from legacy grub. Ubuntu will detect OSX HFS+ boot partitions and create boot menu items and scripts but I it kept on getting kernel panics when I used the grub boot menu ... something to do with invalid number of arguments somewhere in the stack.

Also, unlike legacy grub, grub 2 can read HFS+ partitions.

In Ubuntu, use Gparted to find out which partition has your OSX installed.

Then add a very simple menuitem in Ubuntu grub configuration file:
/boot/grub/grub.cfg (note: used to be /boot/grub/menu.lst in legacy grub)
Use any editor. Make sure you have to have admin privileges to save the changes.

menuitem "Mac OSX boot or whatever you want to call it" {
insmod hfsplus # loads hfs+ module. Grub 2 can read hfs+ files !
set root=(hd0,6) # your partition may be different
multiboot /boot # used to be called kernel in legacy grub.
boot # not really necessary; it is implied
}

Now reboot. You will see your new entry in the grub boot list. Use arrows to select it. It will now boot into chameleon.

I think someone can make it better.

blancmaison 11-08-2009 08:33 AM

Hi

Yes it is guid , I am waiting for the board that is mentioned in the post to turn up so I thought I would try to build the boot disk on my old emac onto a usb hdd I have , I have tried different format options as well , I then tried the usb hdd on a dell optiplex gx 520 which normally like hackintosh but just get a blinking cursor.

latinoguy 11-08-2009 04:10 PM

Excelent guide i used in my GMG31-S2C I HAVE SL WORKING BUT...

Thanks for the guide, is excellent, but i mixed up with the DSDT patch and my motherboard is different that in the guide the chipset is the same, i have problems with video when i write the string line with efi studio the resolution that i only get is 1024x768, and the sound not working at al the kext that i use is the ACL662 but no exit, so i had to use and external audio, I need help to get this working at fully capacity, by the way, im using a 7600gt nvidia 256 mb and a cpu intel dual core 5200, but im going to buy an E7500 core two duo and start over again, any sugestions or advices? thanks

infiniteThanks 11-08-2009 09:31 PM

E5200 is plenty enough.

Hi latinoguy,
Some thoughts:
E5200 is good enough. I built a full system on the ES2l with no issues. I moved to a Q9550 because I was doing heavy image processing.

DSDT : One problem could be that your DSDT may be very different. DSDT is, in very crude terms, a representation of the hardware configuration by the BIOS to the software. Hence, just having the same chipset does not help all the time.

If you find a good DSDT for your motherboard/BIOS version out somewhere, use it. Getting the DSDT from the OSX system is not good enough; it just returns the one you just put in. A good way to get a DSDT is to download a Linux live ISO (Knoppix, Ubuntu, etc.), burn it to a CD and boot from it. Create a terminal window, and type:

sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > DSDT.aml

Then you use DSDTSE app in the ES2L Kit to patch it, compile it, and save it to either the / and/or the /Extra folder(s).
There are fixes that you have to make; see OP.

Rebuild the /Extra/Extensions.mkext with the MKextTool, Kext Utility, or the command line. See posting by me and followups to it.

Make sure the permissions are correct: use the Disk Utility to fix it, not the script.

Clean all caches and retry :)

latinoguy 11-08-2009 10:40 PM

Hi, thanks for the quick response, now i have internet and video working at full capacity, just the audio, but with the usb audio no problems i can live with that, now i have to work in the rosseta so i can play chess in with the java application and as i understand, i dont need another cpu? do i have a good one? thanks.

latinoguy 11-08-2009 10:52 PM

I did the repair permissions thing that you recommend to me and this is what i get is a screen image of my pc, thanks for your advice.

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pqw08Dr&code=2

antonehenry 11-09-2009 01:14 AM

I can't boot from usb thumb drive, or a western digital mybook external hard drive.

This is starting to drive me crazy. Neither will boot. It just goes straight into Windows 7 on my other partition. I tried to put both as first boot device in bios, and then tried to do it from the boot menu. No dice.

I have a g31m-es2l I bought yesterday, core 2 duo e8200, 2gb ddr2 800 ram... I don't know what the problem is. It just won't boot from the external drives.

Any help? I am so lost at this point.

latinoguy 11-09-2009 02:34 AM

If you did all the steps in the correct way you just have to enter to the motherboard bios configuration and choose usb as the first boot, I had the same problem, so i disconnected the hard drive and just use one hard drive o install osx snow leopard and is working right now.

And don't get desperate be patient

antonehenry 11-09-2009 02:44 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Do you think I need to just do it on a seperate HDD than my windows 7 install? I wanted to do it on the same drive, just different partitions, but that doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks!

latinoguy 11-09-2009 03:21 AM

Tell is the safest thing to do if you are trying to install snow leopard. If you don't have one extra hdd, then enter in the motherboard advanced bios configuration and choose usb as the first boot.

antonehenry 11-09-2009 03:41 AM

Okay, thanks. Also, I'm pretty sure this isn't working for me. I finally got to boot from my external HDD, but it just got stuck.

I had to create a partition in order to get that far, just unpartitioned space wouldn't boot from my external HDD. I'm not sure what the problem is, because I have the same setup as the original poster.

latinoguy 11-09-2009 04:31 AM

Buy a 8 gigs memory stick and solve the problem

antonehenry 11-09-2009 07:14 AM

I did. That didn't work initially, so I tried to use an external HDD.

potter1984 11-09-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonehenry (Post 39055)
Okay, thanks. Also, I'm pretty sure this isn't working for me. I finally got to boot from my external HDD, but it just got stuck.

I had to create a partition in order to get that far, just unpartitioned space wouldn't boot from my external HDD. I'm not sure what the problem is, because I have the same setup as the original poster.

Hiya,

Yea unpartitioned space is not going to boot, it needs a active partition to boot, as long as im reading your post correct, you will need to setup up and OS on the unpartitioned space to be able to boot.

What methods have you actually tried, it may help to list them all her so we can see where its going wrong!,

Hope ya get it working soon.

Kind regards

rillooo 11-09-2009 10:27 PM

Very nice guide and..

I just want to say THANK YOU !!
This osx86 thing is just...loads of fun =)

latinoguy 11-09-2009 10:45 PM

I have installed and everything runs smooth just the sound doesn't work i had to use an external usb, can someone give me some advice

BlaSTiWi 11-10-2009 01:13 AM

10.6.2 update

Is it safe to update?

Anybody update to 10.6.2 yet?

latinoguy 11-10-2009 02:57 AM

What can happen if you update? start over again thats it, this is the funny thing about this, and of course that you can update as well you are using vanilla kernel

Jocelyn84 11-10-2009 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi (Post 39119)
Is it safe to update?

Anybody update to 10.6.2 yet?

Yes, and all went fine. http://netkas.org/?p=315 :)

Just be sure to remove sleepenabler.kext before you update to 10.6.2 and update to the new sleepenabler.kext listed on Netkas' page after updating to 10.6.2

infiniteThanks 11-10-2009 04:04 AM

Making Audio work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by latinoguy (Post 39103)
I have installed and everything runs smooth just the sound doesn't work i had to use an external usb, can someone give me some advice

Sound was tricky for me. I finally got it by
(a) making sure I rebuilt the /Extra/Extensions.mkext after having added the sound kext to the CustomeExtensions folder.

(b) Making sure that the audio output configuration was for "Internal Speakers".

(c) In System Profiler:

No audio in the system profiler implies you don't have the correct BIOS settings.

Less than 5 lines implies that you have correct BIOS settings but the wrong kext or the kext was not loaded. Boot with a -v -x to see what is going on.

Use lspci (a version exists in OSX86Tools to see what you actually have.

A large number of lines (>8) everything is loaded properly. Check (b)

Please look for my post sometime earlier; I can't get to my Mac right now as my daughter has stolen it from me :)

antonehenry 11-10-2009 06:37 AM

It's finally installing now.

Problem I had... I updated my macbook to 10.6.0 from Tiger, which I was using to create the install on my external HDD. I had a partition made for Mac OS X already, reformatted it via Disk Utility during installation on my Hackintosh/Win7 Dual Boot to Mac Extended Journal or whatever it is...

So now it's installing on that partition and rather fast. We'll see how the system is working once it's done.

Problem was, Tiger wasn't able to run the ES2L Kit properly, I believe. Gotta do it from a version of Leopard.

Thanks for the ideas LatinoGuy. Or should I say, Gracias, Amigo?

antonehenry 11-10-2009 07:08 AM

Here's a little followup hiccup I am having.

When trying to boot up, I got a "operating system missing" error from my BIOS. So I have to repair windows via the install disc, then I can use windows' boot manager to select an operating system. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9s6Cesg_j8)
(updating this post as I go along, I am so close!)

If anything, I will just reinstall windows7. No biggie, I just installed it the other day. I think I also saw somewhere that you should instal OS X first if you're going to dual boot with windows 7.

EDIT:::::: Need to reinstall Windows 7 on same partition. That's okay. It's been fun. Next will be trying to boot into OS X. WooHoo.

antonehenry 11-10-2009 09:02 AM

apparently using Disk Utility (OSX) or the Win7 install disc, you cannot format your partitions to install both operating systems on one hard drive. It's hating me right now.

Next I will trying installing them on separate hard drives.

antonehenry 11-10-2009 10:05 AM

EDIT::::: Wow, did this F up my hard drive. I can't find a good way to repartition my hard drive to reinstall windows 7. I even erased all of it via partion magic, disk utility, and windows 7 install cd. Nothing works at all. I can still install OS X on it, but nothing else. Weird.

I keep getting a C:\Boot is corrupt and unreadable error. Maybe I will just install OS X for now, until I get a new HDD. So weird. I have never run into a problem where you just can't completely wipe the HDD and start over. hmm...

EDIT:::: PS sorry for the multiple posts in a row.

I wasn't able to install both on the same HDD. I am now in the process of recovering a HDD i accidentally formatted trying to get both to work nicely dual booting. But should work just fine on separate HDD's

infiniteThanks 11-10-2009 10:54 PM

Dude, use Linux to part the drives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonehenry (Post 39157)
EDIT::::: Wow, did this F up my hard drive. I can't find a good way to repartition my hard drive to reinstall windows 7. I even erased all of it via partion magic, disk utility, and windows 7 install cd. Nothing works at all. I can still install OS X on it, but nothing else. Weird.

Make sure the drive is GUID.
Download any of the latest Linux Live CDs (Ubuntu, Red Hat /Fedora, etc.). Torrent downloads are also available. Burn the iso to a cd. Boot to the live CD.

Use that to repartition using gparted. (System->administration-Gparted)
Linux should be around 8G. The rest is up to you. Partition format is unimportant.

Install W7
Install OSX (see OP)
Install Linux. Linux will install grub and run grub-config automatically which will do an os-probe and ALMOST do the right thing.

Remove CD, boot into Linux, find out which partition has OSX. I use GParted which can be installed using:

sudo apt-get install gparted

Keep gparted around; it is useful!

edit the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file

Add in the custom section at the bottom of the file:

menuentry "Your name for OSX" {
insmod hfsplus
set root=(hd0,6) # your disk /partition may be different
multiboot /boot
boot
}

You must use the custom section else an os-probe will over-write the information. Remove all the other menu entries for OSX in the grub.cfg file; they don't work because they assume a mac efi system. Save the file. You must be root or must do sudoedit to edit and save properly.

If, while booting, you don't see the boot options, you should hit the ESC key when the grub message comes up.

Life saver: the Linux dd command. Installing Windows 7, OSX, multiple times can be a pain. I have used the Linux dd command to save the disks and partitions. Then it is just a matter of copying them back if I messed up. This is not the right forum to go into dd though.

The only issue I have with grub is it does not have a sweet interface like chameleon.

And remember, experiment. Once you are done experimenting, put in a second disk (about 3x the OSX partition) and use the time machine to save your work and you will be happy. It tastes better than icecream.

simsim 11-11-2009 01:06 AM

I updated to 10.6.2.

Removed the old sleep enabler before updating. Got kernel panic. Checked Netkas site, saw this: "There is panic with geforce7 cards and 64-bit kernel mode, use 32-bit kernel mode". I have a 7300 card. In 32 bit everything seems to work.

No big deal. I mostly like 64bit because I get a much higher Geekbench score with it :-)

komodo-tux 11-12-2009 12:28 AM

So, I did the install following this fantastic guide (thanks to all involved) and everything was working great (video, audio, bonjour, sleep, the whole nine yards)! When the 10.6.2 update came out, I cloned my install to a different partition to play with. After following the netkas suggestions, I have some unusual results. First, 10.6.2 will only boot with the -f option; whenever I do not do that, I get an immediate KP. Second even when I boot with -f, I do not have functional audio, even though I'm using the same LeagacyALC883 kext that worked with 10.6.1. One thing I've noticed is that in my working install (10.6.1), there is an an Extensions.mkext in my /Extra folder, but this does not exist in the 10.6.6 install. Could this be part of the problem, and how should I go about fixing it? Thanks again.

antonehenry 11-12-2009 01:47 AM

All set up.

I can't get internet to work though. The realtek driver doesn't work it seems.

komodo-tux 11-12-2009 01:54 AM

Well, I think I've got it fixed. Amazing what you can do when you read the instructions! I first used mkext tool to make an Extensions.mkext of the extensions in the /Extra/Extensions folder, but that didn't solve the problem. But, after re-reading the guide, I ran the pfix utility as root, and it cleaned out the system caches as well as fixing permissions, and now everything is working OK! Thanks again for the great guide!

kvkvbird 11-12-2009 02:04 AM

Dear SimSim and Everyone,

How Can I change from 64 bit kernel to 32 bit kernel mode? I have 7600gt card, it cause me KP after uprgaded to 10.6.2

I had install my Hackintosh thru this guide
http://lifehacker.com/5351485/#bootloader_guide

GA-G31M-S2L Ver. 1.1 (F9)
Nvidia 7600GT
4Gig of Corsair Ram
WD 120Gig
Intel Core2Quad 6600

antonehenry 11-12-2009 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonehenry (Post 39254)
All set up.

I can't get internet to work though. The realtek driver doesn't work it seems.

I should specify for help.

Tried to install realtek driver in ES2L kit, tried to use that other tool in original post, but don't know how to use it.

Tried to install a couple of kext thingys from insanelymac post linked in original post.

IN my network part of system preferences, no option for ethernet shows up, just my serial connection. =[

I might have an NIC lying around somewhere though.

spudstud450 11-12-2009 06:21 AM

Update 10.6.2

Looks like the 6.2 (nov 11) breaks the install. Hopefully It wont require a reinstall.

infiniteThanks 11-12-2009 06:52 AM

32-bit kernel

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvkvbird (Post 39257)
Dear SimSim and Everyone,

How Can I change from 64 bit kernel to 32 bit kernel mode? I have 7600gt card, it cause me KP after uprgaded to 10.6.2

In /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist add
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>

It is in the OP instructions.

kvkvbird 11-12-2009 06:55 AM

Thank You..... inifiniteThanks...
I try that method...

Cheers

infiniteThanks 11-12-2009 07:02 AM

Ethernet working.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonehenry (Post 39259)
I should specify for help.

Tried to install realtek driver in ES2L kit, tried to use that other tool in original post, but don't know how to use it.

Tried to install a couple of kext thingys from insanelymac post linked in original post.

IN my network part of system preferences, no option for ethernet shows up, just my serial connection. =[

I might have an NIC lying around somewhere though.

1. Try to run lspci in the command line. It should show all the devices. If it does not show the ethernet device, you may have a bad chip or your BIOS setting may be wrong.
OX86Tools has lspci.

2. pfix may not work perfectly. I remember having strange problems with network shares. Turns out that some permissions were not set right by pfix.

Use the Disk Utility to fix the permissions. Also, OSX86Tools can fix permissions, clean caches, etc.

3. Britney (see post by her earlier) pointed out that ethernet works for F8 BIOS version but does not in a latter version (don't remember). She suggested using a network card. Her screen name is different, I don't remember. She had also posted another DSDT.

infiniteThanks 11-12-2009 07:16 AM

Netkas has a way to upgrade to 10.6.2

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudstud450 (Post 39273)
Looks like the 6.2 (nov 11) breaks the install. Hopefully It wont require a reinstall.

Go to netkas.org and download the latest SleepEnabler.kext.
1. Boot from the USB Installer and go to the install drive and remove /Extra/CustomExtensions/SleepEnabler.kext

2. Rebuild /Extra/Extensions.kext.
I used MkextTool.
Drag all the extensions in /Extra/CustomExtensions
Change the folder to /Extra and enter Build.
It will over-write the previous version of /Extra/Extensions.mkext

3. If you have not updated yet, Update to 10.6.2. Reboot

4. Put the patched SleepEnabler.kext from netkas into /Extra/CustomExtensions

5. Rebuild /Extra/Extensions.mkext (see (2)

I generally use linux dd command to save an exact copy of my partition before doing this kind of work.

yogi446 11-12-2009 01:43 PM

sleep issues

Followed the guide here, and on netkas's site to update to 10.6.2 fine.

Everything works fine, always has.

But i've always had a problem with sleep not being reliable. Sometimes it'll go to sleep fine, then when I wake it (keyboard or power button) it'll all spin up but nothing, blank screen (and dead to any ping/ssh attempts).

Any ideas people?

It's not an easily reproducible error, and nothing seems to get written to the logs. Suggestions as to how I could even track down the issue would be welcome.