InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Install Snow Leopard from USB stick/Drive (Updated 12/11/09) (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3705)

spacelime 08-30-2009 12:28 AM

Allright, got the installer running now :D, used another dldt.aml that was already patched. Think that was the problem.

But now the only thing is that the installer doesn't recognize my internal hard drives. Only the USB. So I have nowhere to install it.... I'm thinking it has something to do with SATA support perhaps?

Any ideas?

DocShadow 08-30-2009 12:47 AM

To see the internal drive/volumes ...

Go to Finder Preferences

Under Show these items on the desktop, check off Hard disks

Snow 08-30-2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurruwiwi (Post 32686)
Hi Snow !!

I am happy to announce that your guide works like a charm with my laptop.

I want to give you 20 thumbs up, but I only have two :p

Your guide not only was the only one so far to work, but is so well thought out it was also the only guide that made me really understand the quirks with Snow.

32bit and 64bit, one or two KP's on the way, but boots up nice unflagged, and damn fast responsive!

Now for laptop 64bit kexts for everything. Thanks!!!

Hi Gurruwiwi,

I'm very happy to know this guide was successful for you and therefor can be used for laptops too.
It was my intention to be more specific then the other guides because I always got lost at some point ;)
Thanks again for the kind words and enjoy the OS m8!

Snow 08-30-2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacelime (Post 32719)
Allright, got the installer running now :D, used another dldt.aml that was already patched. Think that was the problem.

But now the only thing is that the installer doesn't recognize my internal hard drives. Only the USB. So I have nowhere to install it.... I'm thinking it has something to do with SATA support perhaps?

Any ideas?

Hi Spacelime, good that you've found (or built) a proper dsdt file because I could not help you with this (it's system specific)
Either you need to run the proper ATA kexts for your motherboard or you need to format the destination drive to HSF+ journalled inside Leopard. Try other things with format too if that doesn't work. Unallocated space or FAT32.
You have ICH10R so maybe this can be of help:

http://netkas.org/?p=125

Notice! only for those who have AHCI disabled or using a laptop so keep that in mind.

Good luck and report back with update m8

anhdave 08-30-2009 11:05 AM

hi, I using ps/2 key and mouse. It not working.
please help

DocShadow 08-31-2009 02:24 AM

Thanks for the guide ... it was very useful for making a USB SL Install. (Y)

I didn't need it to install SL as I already have it running but I need to fix another SL partition using Disk Utility .... this did the trick and now I have an SL Install if needed.

spacelime 08-31-2009 11:32 AM

Thank you Snow!
I read up a little about AHCI... still don't really understand it but when I turned AHCI on in the BIOS I was able to see my hdd in the installer :D

Now I've installed Win 7 and Kubuntu Karmic and am attempting to triple boot. I'm making some progress using the brilliant EasyBCD to modify the Win7 bootloader. I made many attempts using GRUB2 as the main bootloader but it just broke my Windows install every time.. With EasyBCD I'm now able to boot smoothly into either Win or Linux, but not yet OSX.. hope to get it working soon!

spacelime 08-31-2009 03:48 PM

Yippie, got the tripple boot working finally :D

If anyone is considering to dual or tripple boot with Windows i HIGHLY recommend that you try EasyBCD... I've spent many hours trying to get either the efi bootloader or GRUB2 to boot into the other OSs, but with no luck. easybcd was really a breeze.. just install it in windows and you can set up exactly how to boot with a GUI in 2 minutes and it WORKS!

Now I just have a few details to cope with. OSX detects my DVD drive but is unable to read from it and a window telling me this appears just after booting every time.

If I boot into OSX and then boot Kubuntu the file system on my EXT4 partitions is a little screwed up so the boot up process halts and asks me to run fsck manually. after doing this and rebooting it loads Kubuntu just fine. It seems that OSX is messing something up.... I'm going to reinstall Kubuntu and change the partitions to EXT3 and see how it goes.

Anyone have any idea about the CD/DVD drive problem?

spacelime 08-31-2009 04:44 PM

Allright... a little update for anyone who cares.. I'm just so excited to have this thing up and running lol.

The corrupted filesystem seems to be due to EXT4. So that may be worth concidering if you want to dual boot with ubuntu. You may wanna use EXT3 as it is probably the safe bet.

The complaining about CD drive error was not really the CD at all but just my secondary HDD that I hadn't partitioned yet. So now that it's done it workes fine. Tried to make a backup with time machine to the secondary hdd but that actually caused OSX to crash in the middle of it. Seems a little worrying, I hope I won't get this with other things too.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel most things are working fine now. Thanks again snow for the excellent guide! ;)

DocShadow 08-31-2009 05:39 PM

Why not use Chameleon?

I boot into Chameleon and then choose either OSX or Win 7.