InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Lion 10.7 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Lion with AMD (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=7106)

delgadilloalex 04-12-2012 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paced98 (Post 56942)
Got the Finder app! Have not tested yet, but I have found my DP2 lion and does have the setting to run in 32bit mode:):) Please test and check if it does work by replacing finder in System/Library/CoreServices

DOWNLOAD HERE

can u please upload xpchelper from dp2 in show hidden files

root/usr/libexec/xpchelper

i would like to see if it fixes endless crash thats consuming cpu.

Unrealized 04-12-2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delgadilloalex (Post 57072)
can u please upload xpchelper from dp2 in show hidden files

root/usr/libexec/xpchelper

i would like to see if it fixes endless crash thats consuming cpu.

There is nothing wrong with the xpchelper, It's a kernel bug.

JadedRaverLA 04-12-2012 10:03 AM

Making the XPCHelper issue slightly better...

Hey everybody,

When I saw that an attempt was being made to create an AMD compatible kernel of Lion, I dug out an old PC (all my newer systems are actual Macs) and installed 10.7.3 on it. I ran into the same xpchelper issue that everyone else here mentioned. Although I'm not a good enough coder to improve the kernel itself, I did manage to make the problem less annoying.

First up:

Code:

tell application "Activity Monitor" to activate
do shell script "launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.ReportCrash.plist"
do shell script "launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.ReportCrash.Root.plist" user name "adminuser" password "adminpwd" with administrator privileges

This AppleScript is very simple. It just launches Activity Monitor (so that you can see when xpchelper goes crazy. Then, it unloads the crash reporter (both from the user and as root) so that when xpchelper DOES crash, crash reporter doesn't go crazy creating system logs and writing them to disk. The downside is you can't get crash reports of other crashes, but for now, it's a huge help. You obviously need to replace adminuser and adminpwd with your administrative username and password. Then save the code in AppleScript Editor as an application. You can either save it to the desktop for quick access or use the login manager to set it to autorun. The downside is you still need to watch Activity Monitor for when xpchelper goes crazy, but simply clicking it and hitting the Quit Process button takes care of it until the next time it goes nuts.

I'm trying to make it so you don't need to do that:

Code:

property currenttime : 0
property previousbreak : 0 as integer
property currentbreak : 0 as integer
on idle
        set currenttime to time of (current date)
        set currentbreak to (currenttime / 60 / 60 / 30) as integer
        if currentbreak is not equal to previousbreak then
                do shell script "/usr/bin/killall xpchelper" user name "adminuser" password "adminpwd" with administrator privileges
                set previousbreak to currentbreak
        end if
end idle

This is a basic script that runs as an idle process and simply kills all xpchelper processes every two minutes. It does keep you from having to watch Activity Monitor but in my experience killing the process when its not going crazy leads to more app crashes, so its not ideal. Still, if you want to use it, again replace aminuser and adminpwd with the necessary details, compile and save in AppleScript Editor. This time you need to save as format Application, and check the box next to keep open.

I'm working on a method where it looks at CPU Utilization of the xpchelper processes and kills only the ones that have gone crazy. I don't have that quite working yet though, and it may need to kill all instances as the bad ones are crashing and reforming too quickly.

Anyway, hope that helps. On my system 10.7.3 is fairly useable on an old AMD system, which is pretty impressive given that none of it was possible just a couple weeks ago.

Unrealized 04-12-2012 11:27 AM

Or you can just chmod -x it :) so it's not executable, and crash dumps wouldnt be written AT ALL. It's not the xpchelper which is eating the CPU here, It's the ReportCrash (or whatever) process.

Lacedaemon 04-12-2012 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

I have an AMD Athlon II X4 645, and my "About this Mac" used to say "Unknown CPU 3.1 GHz". When I installed OS X, I didn't have a dsdt.aml; However, when I finally extracted and compiled my own, my processor now says "3.1 GHz Intel Core i5". Is it possible to install Lion now that it displays an Intel CPU? I've attached a screenshot of my current "About this Mac".

Thanks,
Lacedaemon

delgadilloalex 04-13-2012 04:50 AM

[quote=JadedRaverLA;57074]Hey everybody,

Code:

tell application "Activity Monitor" to activate
do shell script "launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.ReportCrash.plist"
do shell script "launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.ReportCrash.Root.plist" user name "adminuser" password "adminpwd" with administrator privileges

this works but most apps crash after bout 10 min except safr,and afew others
but when activitymon.app crashes cant run it any more

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unrealized (Post 57075)
Or you can just chmod -x it :) so it's not executable, and crash dumps wouldnt be written AT ALL. It's not the xpchelper which is eating the CPU here, It's the ReportCrash (or whatever) process.

it still runs activitymon. but mess. is access denied over and over
so then it wouldent boot with out it so.........single user boot
chmod 755
got so excited. thanks thou.

Unrealized 04-13-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lacedaemon (Post 57081)
Hey guys,

I have an AMD Athlon II X4 645, and my "About this Mac" used to say "Unknown CPU 3.1 GHz". When I installed OS X, I didn't have a dsdt.aml; However, when I finally extracted and compiled my own, my processor now says "3.1 GHz Intel Core i5". Is it possible to install Lion now that it displays an Intel CPU? I've attached a screenshot of my current "About this Mac".

Thanks,
Lacedaemon

No, it's just a text string :)

paced98 04-14-2012 12:16 AM

Any news on a newer kernel yet?

Godofwar 04-14-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unrealized (Post 57051)
As I've said (for the 7th time, just counted!) many times, you need to use iAtkos L2 or a real mac. You don't really "update", but you install it to it's own partition via Snow Leopard.

Run OSInstall.mpkg from iAtkos L2 dvd and you should be set, pick an empty partition and just drop in the kernel afterwards. :)

Hi, thanks for your help. What kernel do I need for Amd Phenom IIx4 965? Does a kernel exist for that? And how do I just drop the kernel in? Is there a new folder that will be created on my snow leopard side that has Lions operating system in it that I can browse and drop the kernel in some how? Thank you my friend. I can install Lion on Snow Leopard side with iAtkos L2, do I need to be at Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or is being at 10.6.6 for Lion disc alright too or you are unsure?

Anyone have any Iatko's Lion Wallpaper? Iatko's has a pretty cool looking lion logo.

lunfai 04-15-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godofwar (Post 57104)
Hi, thanks for your help. What kernel do I need for Amd Phenom IIx4 965? Does a kernel exist for that? And how do I just drop the kernel in? Is there a new folder that will be created on my snow leopard side that has Lions operating system in it that I can browse and drop the kernel in some how? Thank you my friend. I can install Lion on Snow Leopard side with iAtkos L2, do I need to be at Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or is being at 10.6.6 for Lion disc alright too or you are unsure?

Anyone have any Iatko's Lion Wallpaper? Iatko's has a pretty cool looking lion logo.

PM'ed you with instructions.