InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G31M-ES2L (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3672)

scott202 01-02-2010 02:43 PM

It's my first post but I've been keeping an eye on this thread and I just wanted to say thanks for all your help guys!

My intention was to create a (student) budget OS X system with the ability to play 1080p movies via HDMI using Plex, and I have succeeded!

My specification are as follows:

GA-G31M-ES2L Rev 2.0
E5300 2.6 GHz Dual Core Processor
2GB RAM
Asus nVidia GeForce 9400 GT 512MB
Belkin Network Card (I bought two of these new, plus a network switch new online for £1)

In total, including the case, I paid just under £150 for this setup and that includes a 250GB SATA HDD. I am using external USB HDD's to hold my media :)

I followed this guide however I did not need to create an DSDT file to get anything to work. It was simply a case of installing myHack 1.0 with the recommended kexts.

In order to get the graphics card fully supported that was simply a case of adding an EFI string with osx86Tools. As for the sound, a VoodooHDA kext got that working for me, without even the need to reinstall!

So once again, just wanted to thank all you guys who have put in the hard work to enable me to do this so easily! :cool:

See you around on here soon!

UPDATE: I've just updated to 10.6.2 using the inbuilt software update, installed iWork, iLife and Office for Mac and it's running like a dream still! Thanks once again :)

fritzbrause 01-02-2010 09:51 PM

Runs great, but graphics making sorrow

Hey Folks!

i did it! Thanks to this great tutorial and your help i got it made!
SL runs like a charm. Onboard sound runs too!
The onboard network doesnt work out, i think its because of my rev. 2 board, but i got an old Realtek 8139 nic which is naturally supported by Mac OS X.
Unfortunatly my graphics only run with 800x600 even though i changed it to 1280x1024x32 in the boot.plist. If i try to change the resolution in System Prefrerences the monitor is getting blue and i cant get back .. only hardreset is possible then. Has this something to do with the dsdt.aml which i compiled or is this a case for the OSX86tools? Any tipps would be warmely welcome!

regards!

lflashl 01-03-2010 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fritzbrause (Post 42268)
Hey Folks!

i did it! Thanks to this great tutorial and your help i got it made!
SL runs like a charm. Onboard sound runs too!
The onboard network doesnt work out, i think its because of my rev. 2 board, but i got an old Realtek 8139 nic which is naturally supported by Mac OS X.
Unfortunatly my graphics only run with 800x600 even though i changed it to 1280x1024x32 in the boot.plist. If i try to change the resolution in System Prefrerences the monitor is getting blue and i cant get back .. only hardreset is possible then. Has this something to do with the dsdt.aml which i compiled or is this a case for the OSX86tools? Any tipps would be warmely welcome!

regards!

if the monitor is going blu, try changing vga/dvi ports. i had this problem and changing ports fixed it, i think the monitor was being falsely recognised as a 2nd monitor.

fritzbrause 01-03-2010 11:44 AM

yeah! that was it!

Thanks again!

i simply switched over to the DVI Port of the Graka. than everything went right!
Great! I am so happy ;-)

Sileem 01-03-2010 09:19 PM

Bleh, I can't get native powermanagment, either I KP on boot, or my screen goes black :/
Im just going to stick with nullcpu

Schwarzsaur 01-04-2010 12:12 AM

Thank you sk1nhd33t ...

Thank you for the very helpful guide. After 9 weeks of trying I got SL running on G31M-ES2L based hardware. Everything works. Audio, sleep, USB, graphics, Time Machine, DSDT.

fritzbrause 01-04-2010 11:21 PM

Forgot to patch sleepenabler after Update to 10.6.2

HEy Folks,

me again .. the newbie ;-)
i read the hole thread but it couldnt figure it out.
The Problem: I installed 10.6.2 combo update and forget to change the sleepenabler.kext on my HDD before rebooting.
You know the result: Kernel Panic and no more sexy Snow Leopards.
I tried to boot from USB again to repair the broken boot on hdd, but this wasnt working either.
Is there a possibility to get into the Mac OSX again to change the sleep*.kext? Or do i need to re-install the whole bunch?
Many thanks again for this guide and the help!

regards

zim2dive 01-04-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fritzbrause (Post 42406)
HEy Folks,

me again .. the newbie ;-)
i read the hole thread but it couldnt figure it out.
The Problem: I installed 10.6.2 combo update and forget to change the sleepenabler.kext on my HDD before rebooting.
You know the result: Kernel Panic and no more sexy Snow Leopards.
I tried to boot from USB again to repair the broken boot on hdd, but this wasnt working either.
Is there a possibility to get into the Mac OSX again to change the sleep*.kext? Or do i need to re-install the whole bunch?
Many thanks again for this guide and the help!

regards

Could you not:
- boot the USB key to the SL installer (seems like that should work regardless of how badly you hosed the install)
- Launch Terminal from the Utilities(?) menu
- remove the old kext and put the new kext in place
- rebuild kext cache, etc

fritzbrause 01-05-2010 08:24 PM

Yeah

That was the hint i needed!
Got it running again .. after fighting 30 minutes with the bash .... (which is slightly different than the one in Linux ;-)
You are the BEST!

lflashl 01-06-2010 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zim2dive (Post 42407)
Could you not:
- boot the USB key to the SL installer (seems like that should work regardless of how badly you hosed the install)
- Launch Terminal from the Utilities(?) menu
- remove the old kext and put the new kext in place
- rebuild kext cache, etc

yea do that happen to me and it works great, if you dont know how to install/remove a kext heres a link... im a newbie and still learning and this showed me.... install kext i think there should be a update on this, to say not install the sleeper kext and to install the next 10.6.2 version, will save alot of time...