InfiniteMac OSx86  

Old 10-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Cheetah

ALC883 Sound on Ga-G31M-E2SL REV 2.0 10.6.1/0 not working

Ok, so based upon many posts on these forums and insanely mac I got this board. Apparently I did not read enough and have found that the Rev 2.0 board has troubles with both the NIC and sound. I have tried MANY MANY ways of getting the sound working to no avail. I followed the guide for the retail USB stick install that is very popular on this forum. I and have added a PCI NIC which works great, I am on 64-bit, no crashes, no KP's, nothing bad. Just no sound. I was running a dual boot on MBR with 10.5.6 on an amd X2 6400+ which was fantastic. The only problem is that I wanted to have snow which apparently cannot run 64 bit on the AMD/Nforce setup that I had been using, as well as no retail/Vanilla install. Hence, the reason for getting the Ga-G31m-E2Sl.

My new setup is 10.6.1 retail/vanilla, GA-G31M-E2SL Rev 2.0, Pentium Dual Core E6300, 4.0GB DDR2, 1TB Sata 2.0 Western Digital Caviar Black, BFG Nvidia 8600GT OC (EFI String), Generic IDE DVD-R, RealTEk 8139 PCI NiC.

Bottom Line: I need a kext that is known to work with the Rev 2.0 board on a retail 10.6.1/0 install with minimal fiddling. I am Windows/Linux guy and I just don't have enough background with this platform to know all of the little tweaking and hacking techniques. I have tried the ALC883Legacy.kext, VOODHDA, and a bunch of others. The commonality I see amongst many of these solutions is that 9/10 times there is no indication in any of the posts as to which revision of the board these people are using.

It is HIGHLY troubling considering that I want to use this system for audio production almost exclusively.... I am SURE that many others could benefit from a specific solution that is straightforward and easy to implement and directed towards fixing this issue only. I have had to dig through page after page after page of OS install posts which seem to be geared for the Rev 1.0 board and mention the 2.0 but with very very very mixed results. Thanks SOOOOOOOOO much for any insight into this issue,

Acid810

Last edited by acid810; 10-03-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Jaguar

Also the same problem with this chip of audio but to the end I have solved it with voodoo.kext it works corrrectamente to 32 and 64 bits

I have not added ningun another kext enabler and legacy for the audio and me worked in a plate very seemed luck!!
Old 10-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Cheetah

Ok

Well can you post the kext that you used please?? and the exact steps you took to install it? That would be a tremendous help! Thank you!

Acid810
Old 10-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Jaguar

I attach the AppleHDA.kext vanilla for if they have erased it and Voodoo.kex for Audio ALc 32 and 64 bits

Copy :

Voodoo.kext to /Extra/Extensions

And with help of the terminal

sudo -s
your pass

cd /users/your user/desktop
cd -R AppleHDA.kext/System/Library/Extensions
cd -R VoodooHDA.kext/System/Library/Extensions

and repairs permissions with Kext Utility

reboot

Download here

OSX 10.8.2 | Placa Intel - DH77EB | CPU - i7 3770 | Ram - 2 X 4GB Kingston HyperX | Graficos - Intel HD 4000 / Asus HD 6850 | Wireless - Atheros 9285 PCI-E | Bluetooth - Usb Dongle Cambridge Silicon Radio 1958 | Perifericos - Microsoft Web Cam Live Chat / Apple Trackpad / Apple Wireless Keyboard
Old 10-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Cheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid810 View Post
Ok, so based upon many posts on these forums and insanely mac I got this board. Apparently I did not read enough and have found that the Rev 2.0 board has troubles with both the NIC and sound. I have tried MANY MANY ways of getting the sound working to no avail. I followed the guide for the retail USB stick install that is very popular on this forum. I and have added a PCI NIC which works great, I am on 64-bit, no crashes, no KP's, nothing bad. Just no sound. I was running a dual boot on MBR with 10.5.6 on an amd X2 6400+ which was fantastic. The only problem is that I wanted to have snow which apparently cannot run 64 bit on the AMD/Nforce setup that I had been using, as well as no retail/Vanilla install. Hence, the reason for getting the Ga-G31m-E2Sl.

My new setup is 10.6.1 retail/vanilla, GA-G31M-E2SL Rev 2.0, Pentium Dual Core E6300, 4.0GB DDR2, 1TB Sata 2.0 Western Digital Caviar Black, BFG Nvidia 8600GT OC (EFI String), Generic IDE DVD-R, RealTEk 8139 PCI NiC.

Bottom Line: I need a kext that is known to work with the Rev 2.0 board on a retail 10.6.1/0 install with minimal fiddling. I am Windows/Linux guy and I just don't have enough background with this platform to know all of the little tweaking and hacking techniques. I have tried the ALC883Legacy.kext, VOODHDA, and a bunch of others. The commonality I see amongst many of these solutions is that 9/10 times there is no indication in any of the posts as to which revision of the board these people are using.

It is HIGHLY troubling considering that I want to use this system for audio production almost exclusively.... I am SURE that many others could benefit from a specific solution that is straightforward and easy to implement and directed towards fixing this issue only. I have had to dig through page after page after page of OS install posts which seem to be geared for the Rev 1.0 board and mention the 2.0 but with very very very mixed results. Thanks SOOOOOOOOO much for any insight into this issue,

Acid810
acid810:

see my post here:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide...72/page19.html

I have the same board and i got the onboard audio working without using the voodoo kext.

good luck!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Cheetah

Not working

I tried both solutions and to no avail, this was a from scratch install both times just to make sure nothing was screwed up... Any ideas? It shows no built in sound.... IT's drivin me coo coo. Thanks,

Acid810
Old 10-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid810 View Post
I tried both solutions and to no avail, this was a from scratch install both times just to make sure nothing was screwed up... Any ideas? It shows no built in sound.... IT's drivin me coo coo. Thanks,

Acid810
did you try deleting your cache and recreating an Extensions.mkext?

case: G4 QuicksilverSnow 10.6.2● Gigabyte G31M-ES2L rev1 F10 Bios ● Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 ● XFX 9600GT Extreme Ed ● 4GB TeamElite Xtreeme 1066Mhz ● PCI 3port Firewire 400 ● PCI Linksys WMP300N v1 ● Apple Magic Mouse ● Apple Aluminum Keyboard ● 23inch Apple HD Cinema Display ● uMacbook Pro 2.4 ● MacMini 1.8 HT ● White 24 iMac 2.16 ●
Old 10-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Cheetah

I am not that advanced but I think the kext utility, the one you drag and drop the stuff to; does that automatically. I just need the exact files and process you used. I am running chameleon 2 RC3, and PC EFI 10, as suggested, 10.6.1 fresh install from your USB stick guide. I have also run DSDT patcher, and used EFI STudio for my 8600GT graphics card string... I can't figure this out for the life of me. HELP!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Cheetah

Quote:
am not that advanced but I think the kext utility, the one you drag and drop the stuff to; does that automatically. I just need the exact files and process you used. I am running chameleon 2 RC3, and PC EFI 10, as suggested, 10.6.1 fresh install from your USB stick guide. I have also run DSDT patcher, and used EFI STudio for my 8600GT graphics card string... I can't figure this out for the life of me. HELP!!!
a few things (which is not clear in your postings, i think):

- use the DSDT.aml that is in snow.zip snow.zip of sk1nhd33t's guide; it has the HDEF patch. No further patching is needed to get the sound working
- also use those TWO kexts for audio in the Extra folder (also in snow.zip).
- you are using Chameleon v2 RC3, but it's not clear if you're using Netkas' PC-EFI 10.3...make sure you are using v10.3
- after you put the kexts in the Extra folder, just run the kext utility by itself (just dbl-click).
- once you reboot after putting these files, hopefully everything's good.

i got it to work, you should be able to as well....don't give up!! :-)

Last edited by bubuli; 10-06-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Cheetah

Hello acid810 & everyone,
iam using a "MSI P965 Neo" Mainboard. Specifications state that it too has ALC883 Audio chip.
On previous version of OSX like 10.5 I was happly using AzaliaAudio.pkg from insanelymac.com.
I have tried many different approaches, without any success. (Including VoodooHDA.kext, DSDT Pachting, and others)
Still no clue what's wrong and why none of the "simple" solutions work...
Hope to see some great clues here.
TY everyone.

------------------------
Another very helpful and up to date Thread

💡 Deploy cloud instances seamlessly on DigitalOcean. Free credits ($100) for InfMac readers.

Last edited by 2nerd4u; 10-20-2009 at 04:43 PM.