PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial leo4all modification on the bay - leo4x200?

Puttabong
05-13-2008, 05:31 PM
According to the InsanelyMac User hughson there is a new torrent on the bay called leo4x200.iso

ADoNuT333 claims that it looks like a homebrew for the Compaq Presario 2000 to support the x200 graphics set.

Eddie11c, could you please confirm whether this is an official or unofficial release?

Thank you.

bhast2
05-13-2008, 05:54 PM
i don't think he made that

because i have his last test one and it sure as heck isn't called that

Puttabong
05-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Agreed, I don't think that this is official either.

Update: eddie11c at InsanelyMac Yes I have no knowledge of the changes made here, nor do I appreciate someone taking my install and modifying it without at least talking to me.

eddie11c
05-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Someone took the liberty to modify my release. This would be fine with me, but the person didn't even ask....

WinLinMac01
05-13-2008, 09:41 PM
That is rude. Initially, I thought this was a fake.
Now after confirming with this thread, it appears to be a working release.

Eddie11c, its that time again, to patent your work. =)
Your work deserves recognition.

WinLinMac01
05-13-2008, 09:53 PM
From ToxicMac on InsanelyMac:

@ eddie - sorry, no disrespect...I couldn't get you on the phone so I called Steve Jobs and he said it was okay. angel.png

To dispel the x200 stuff before it gets out of control - I was really tired when I put that up. What Leo4x200.iso will allow you to do is *boot* the DVD sans the "waiting for root device" error on the ATI SB 200/400/600 chipset. Unfortunately, it performs no magic for the x200 graphics set - no QE/CI support whatsoever... sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

In fact, it won't even produce a working install...OOB, anyway. This is based off of Leo4allv3 and there were no changes made to any packages or install scripts, so what you select is what you get. The only changes are to the Extensions and .mkext that boot the DVD and they are as follows:

1. IOUSBFamily was swapped for the ATI chipset safe version.

2. All ATA kexts were removed and AppleOnboardPCATA was added to support the 200/400/600 SB (****key point**** - allowing a 20-25 minute installation, rather than 4-5 hours.).

3. Callisto and CallistoHAL are in there as well, though only to facilitate a resolution change for those who need it (it's the fixed b003 version).

So you can see this is targeted to those folks with the ATI Southbridge, who have problems getting a DVD to boot, let alone install. I personally, could only find one distro that would install anything on my Compaq v2000 - it was Leo4all v1 biggrin.gif , *but* it would load the VIA 8127 kext for the drives and took 4-5 hours to install every time (and still needed to be fixed).

@ first-timers: If you have the ATI 200/400/600 Southbridge and you've searched high and low for a distribution that will boot and install at a reasonable pace without success, then this may work for you. However, the installation needs some fixing before it will be usable. The simplest way to accomplish this is to do the following:

1. Install from the DVD, but don't select any chipsets--just add any graphics, sound, kernel, or power management items you need.

2. Post install, leave the DVD in...As it boots up, hit the F8 key and put in the following for an option:
rd=diskXsX (replace the X's with your installation's drive number and partition, so if it's hd (0,3), then rd=disk0s3)

3. Once you've gone through the setup process, open up a terminal window and type:

sudo -s
[enter your password]

su

This will effectively make you the root user. The reason you want to do this is now you can copy any needed kexts from the DVD and they will have the correct permissions and ownership.

4. First, erase any kexts from your installation folder that you know will interfere. For the v2000, I only needed to get rid of the default IOUSBFamily.kext.

5. Copy the ATI SB kext from the DVD while still root via the terminal with some approximation of the following:
cp -r /Volumes/"DVD name"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleOnboardPCATA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

6. At this point you should be able to just boot from your install and add anything else you need.

Lastly - just let me say again that this was targeted for the folks who have the ATI SB 200/400/600 chipset who have the "still waiting for root device" problem when trying to install from their internal DVD drive. There are many methods to combat this, but most require either a mac or a working install. I happen to have both and am trying to help others who were/are in my circumstance...So be flattered that your distro was used for this narrowly targeted install disk, eddie, not mad! biggrin.gif

Sorry if this disk's appearance has caused any confusion! For those that care, the MD5 should be 41641eb339d3ae6d5188f8b5a52a3560 (though at this pace you won't need to worry about that until next week! tongue.gif )

WinLinMac01
05-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Since Eddie11c is not part of the making, I would personally consider this an unofficial release. Since Eddie11c didn't make a negative comment on that user, then this "may" be an official release for x200 users. However, read the post above.

Puttabong
05-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Well it does not provide QE/CI.

WinLinMac01
05-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Installation doesn't work properly either according to that response. Sorry I triple posted, wasn't intended, =p

naquaada
05-13-2008, 10:17 PM
A friend has an X200M chipset on his laptop, the Leo4all V3 wasn't booting: Still waiting for root device.

Puttabong
05-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Naquaada, exactly this error seems to be fixed with this release. QE/CI, however, is still unavailable.

WinLinMac01
05-13-2008, 10:21 PM
QE/CI is unavailable most likely because of the lack of proper graphics support in the chipset.

eddie11c
05-13-2008, 10:36 PM
naquaada alot of the SB chipsets can be made to work just by adding the bootflag rd=disk#s# to point to the DVD drive. If I specify the Device ID in AppleOnboardPCATA like this person did it will cause other users to not be able to install.

WinLinMac01
05-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Yet it would allow users to boot at least I assume, right?

cgsheen
05-14-2008, 04:26 AM
I've gotten my Compaq v2312us (Radeon Xpress x200) laptop to boot - even got it to the OSX desktop (after a GREAT deal of effort)! It's just not worth it. Too many things that don't work, and things (like the video, keyboard, touchpad) that will probably never work... Mine has a Realtek RTL8139 LAN adapter and a broadcom wifi adapter that worked VERY well. But the chipset / drives / memory support is really bad - runs OSX really slowly, can't get QE/CI for this ATi video, no cardbus, no modem, no memory card slots working - firewire worked though... I could sort-of-use-it as long as I had a USB keyboard, mouse, and harddrive plugged into it...