PDA

View Full Version : leo4all vs zephyroth

shitan
05-22-2008, 05:48 AM
Ok, so I had this wonderful zephy install that made me very happy that died for no apparent reason.

I am thus in to reinstall my mac os install... and now that a few new distributions are out, I am wondering which to choose (i had zeph rev.1)

Since I have an AMD 4400+, A8N32-SLi, I am restricted ( i believe) to three distros:
- zephyroth
- leo4all
- the elusive JaS distro, which I don't think is actually out (for 10.5), except for a few beta testers..

So...I don't really know what's the difference between all? My only grudge with zephyroth is that it killed (in the version i had) X11, which I needed for matlab. Any advice? How should I make my decision?

dpollard55
05-22-2008, 06:08 AM
I'm not sure of the differences (sorry I'm still new to the osx86 scene) but I think Kalyway has a 10.5.2 release for AMD as well. I'm using Zephyroth updated to the 9.2.2 kernel and System kext, and so far I haven't had any problems. I guess the only way to really make a decision would be to try all 3 and see which one you personally like the best.

WinLinMac01
05-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Honestly, it all depends on "your" experience. If you find Zephyroth is working best for you, stick with his relese, if you think Eddie11c gives you better mileage, I would suggest to use his distro then. I would exactly go with what dpollard55 has to say. It doesn't hurt. =)

bhast2
05-22-2008, 07:17 AM
i agree with both dpollard55 and WinLinMac01

it depends on your system and how well it will run
i have an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
and i have tried every amd version out there
and zephyroth ran ok i had a few minor issues with it and so i tried other versions
kalyways i ran it for like a week ran ok but not as smooth as Zephyroth release
than i tried Leo4allv2 didn't like my g card very well so i went back the Kalyways
than leo4allv3 came out and it runs great on my system very smooth
so like i am stating it all depends on your system
I can't wait for Zephyroth next release so i can see if it runs better on my system

shitan
05-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Well, thanks for the comment.. I don't really have time to test all distributions (I have a job.. :( ), and to be honest having to reinstall drives me a bit crazy.. Does anyone know if X11's problem in Zeph early rev was fixed? Is it present in Leo4all? Kalyway?

naquaada
05-22-2008, 03:06 PM
I would recommend Leo4all V3, it fixes some problems which Zephyroth's images had, like the Toast problem or that mounted Video DVD images can't be played. X11 is full installed.

I have Leo4All on my Asus A8N-SLI Premium, A8N32-SLI Deluxe and A8N-E FM/S working without problems. The only things which are not recognized is the Sillicon Image 3114 RAID controller on the Premium and the 2nd LAN port on the A8N32-SLI.

Overview:

Zephyroth's images: Great installation DVD, but the system still has some bugs (Toast, Video DVD, X11 missing).

Leo4All V3: The Installation DVD is not so well, but the installed system works perfectly.

Kalyway: The worst image ever. Cruel installation DVD with many patched graphics, also system graphics are changed. Disgusting. And it has the same errors like Zephyroth's images.

WinLinMac01
05-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Since naquaada gave his feedback on what he feels is best for him, I feel comfortable to say Leo4Allv3. =))

Zephyroth's release still has some bugs to work out wheras Leo4Allv3 works out of the box for me. X11 is fully intergrated. Yeppie! =))

bhast2
05-22-2008, 10:02 PM
yep leo4allv3 is the best for me too
to many bugs with kalyways and Zephyroth's

Sorry Zephyroth

WinLinMac01
05-22-2008, 11:39 PM
I didn't want to say sorry to Zephyroth. I was blaming my machine because of this. What if Zephyroth's release runs better than Leo4Allv3 on my other AMD machine? I can't apologize now, lol. However, both releases appear fine with me. Its only the experience, that's all. This is why Leo4Allv3 was best for me (subject to change whenever, lol). I appreciate the hard work both developers are doing. I am actively contributing to both of their projects via feedback. =)

zephyroth
05-23-2008, 12:33 AM
I HATE YOU bhast 2 ... lol ! :-)))))))))))))))

No don't say sorry. It's almost impossible to create a release which is perfect for everybody.
EDIT: And the last one was far from being perfect ...

bhast2
05-23-2008, 12:38 AM
haha don't worry when your next release comes out i will try it and see if it is better

WinLinMac01
05-23-2008, 01:40 AM
LOL Zephyroth. Don't mind if you have us test out your next release. =)

naquaada
05-24-2008, 12:03 AM
@ zephyroth (but also others)

I also must admit that I have a very bad feeling if I have to say that your image has problems. Your image was the first one I could use since myzar's 10.4.7, all others were crap. I was a bit sorry to switch over to Leo4all, but it it has the last two important bugs removed - the Toast problem and the playing of Video DVD images.

A possible reason still may be because I had problems with developers and critics. I had a talk with JaS in IRC and he behaved like a real as...* eddie11c also doesn't like critics so much. But if I take a look at your tools zeph I should have no problems with you i think ;) Nearly every idea used, feels great.

I think you don't need to care about a new image now, zeph. Leo4all is actually the best release I think, so there is no other one needed in the moment. Concentrate you on the Updater (and the 'About this Mac' prog as relaxation ;-), that would be better I think.

Puttabong
05-24-2008, 12:19 AM
In my opinion a perfect image has not been released yet. ;-)

eddie11c
05-24-2008, 01:25 AM
There will never be a perfect image for a bunch of reasons. Getting every file in place for a fresh image is easy. Getting every file in place with proper permissions is easy. Getting every file of each package repacked properly is not. If it were easier to repack all the packages for the base system files, it would be much easier. I do have a few ideas though that may correct this, but just have had little time to do them. Once 10.5.3 is released I will likely release one last DVD that should "hopefully" be as good as possible, but only time will tell.

WinLinMac01
05-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Hopefully that will be the almost perfect release. =)) 10.5.3 is not far away. =) Now we are seeing Mac OS X developed for PC's, hooray. Thanks eddie11c.