PDA

View Full Version : not sure how to make this work

christurner
01-27-2008, 05:58 PM
I have gotten a hold of the disk image and have been trying to install it for a while now. I first tried with my SATA drive and that did not work, I was unable to mount the drive in "disk utility" and therefore could not format it. I then switched over to an older ATA drive and was able to mount and format that drive. I was able to install the OS but then not able to start up. I was following the guide over at http://osx86.thefreesuite.com/leo_amd.php and tried to follow step 12, but the console kept saying "no such user or file"... i then went on to try steps 14 and 15, neither of which worked.

for your info, i am running on a home made comp, specs are as follows:
MB: Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3
CPU: AMD A64 X2 6000 3.0 AM2
Mem: 1Gbx2 GSKILL
sound: integrated on board
graphics: integrated on board
Dvd: Lite On
Hard Drive: Maxtor 5T020H2 (old but works)
I am far from giving up, i just need some help as i have not gotten this working yet.

thanks in advanced

cgsheen
01-28-2008, 12:06 AM
First and foremost - you've done a fair job listing your hardware BUT you'll still need to list your EXACT sound codec (eg. Realtek ALC850) & your EXACT LAN chip (eg Realtek RTL8201 PHY) & etc. I'm assuming you've got nvidia 61x0 onboard graphics (which will work but not fully with QE/CI support I don't think...) The LAN chip will be important Once you're booting into the OS and for Initial Setup. If you're not sure the LAN adapter is 100% supported, DISABLE it in the BIOS until you're booting into the Desktop with no problems.
The Zephyroth Wiki will be your friend:

http://osx86.wikidot.com/

OK, BACK to your initial problem:

When the Installer fails to make your OSx86 partition bootable:
Restart booting off the Installation DVD
After the "boot options countdown" Press F8
At the prompt enter: -s & hit Enter (this boots from the DVD into single user mode)
when it all settles down and ends at the command prompt:

(here you'll be entering the "fdisk utility" to select your OSx86 drive and partition and make them bootable)
TYPE:
fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX ( hit Enter - replace "X" with your ACTUAL drive number ( eg. single HD will be rdisk0 ))
update ( hit Enter - updates MBR machine code )
f X (hit Enter - replace "X" with the ACTUAL partition number ( first partition will be "1" ) makes partition active )
w (hit Enter - writes the updated MBR to the selected drive and active partition - you may also need to enter Y here )
q (hit Enter - quits, saving changes )
reboot (hit Enter - restarts you computer )

When it restarts, boot (or try) from the HD. You'll get the Darwin Boot.... again and another countdown -
Press any key (to "enter startup options)
at the prompt type "-x" hit Enter - to start in "safe mode" else you'll have a "kernal panic" halt

Once you're in the Desktop, you'll need to delete several nvidia ".kexts" in the System/Library/Extensions folder. These are described at the Wiki:

http://osx86.wikidot.com/known-issues#toc1

( I don't use the method described there but it does list the files you need to dispose of: All "geforce*.kext" and all the "nv*.kext" files )

Move all those files to the Trash and then Empty the Trash bin. You can restart now and boot into the OS normally. Then you can go about installing the "real" .kexts for your video card and anything else that isn't working yet.

christurner
01-28-2008, 03:49 AM
alright, for an update, i have

on board motherboard audio is : Realtek ALC883 codec chip
on board motherboard lan is Realtec RTL8211
on board motherboard video is (cgsheen guessed) nvidia 6100/ nforce 430 chipset

i have also checked the http://osx86.wikidot.com/ site but it is down "We are currently working on updating the wiki." so I will try again and disable the lan in my bios. I will then try the rest of the advice with removing the geforce .kext....

i will keep you updated.

cgsheen
01-28-2008, 04:07 AM
You'll have no problem with your audio chipset. You'll probably need to find and install the proper .kext after you're booting into the Desktop. Not sure about the LAN... I have 2 (or more) nforce MB's with the RTL8201 chip and haven't had much luck. I found it much easier to just add a cheap Realtek 8139 or 8169 PCI ethernet card. They both work out-of-the-box.

The "hurdle" sequence is this:
1. Get HD bootable
2. Get past the "kernel panic" caused by the nvidia .kexts
3. Get through the "Initial Setup" and "Account Creation" without a hang
4. Find / Install proper .kexts for hardware that isn't natively supported after you're in the Desktop

You'll find the hardware specs of my working Zephyroth installs in this thread:
http://osx.kbot.de/comments.php?DiscussionID=4&page=1#Item_31

christurner
01-28-2008, 05:50 AM
all right, i have stuck with the old ATA for now, I might try the SATA again when v2 comes out.

So with this fresh install i get a kernel panic without the "-x" but when OS X does load (using -x) i get the "loop circling between chosing language and creating / transferring an user acount ("Do you already own a mac?")." I have disabled the lan in my bios as well as my firewire,

so i tried
-x "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32"

that works, i am now in and at this point i need to set up a new user and delete the not needed .kexts?

(edit) i am looking in the /System/Library/Extensions/
and i see a
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext
but not the other 2
/System/Library/Extensions/Ge*.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/NV*kext

are they hidden?

if any one has any help, thatd be great.

cgsheen
01-28-2008, 06:29 AM
Delete EVERY .kext file that starts with "GeForce" or "Ge" or "NV" or "NVD"

( * = any other character or characters in the name... )

christurner
01-28-2008, 06:54 AM
ok, sweet, i deleted all those and I am now able to boot in with out the -x!!! thats great. i am going to try to get the lan to work next, but it might be worth it just to buy a PCI card... thanks some much for the help! I cant wait to play around with this some more and show it off!

christurner
01-28-2008, 09:10 AM
cgsheen thank you for your help through all this, I am going to buy a Realtek 8139 on ebay for less than 5 busk w/S&H. i think i am also going to wait for the rev2 as it should have my sound card drivers in it and should be able to use my SATA with out too much trouble, although I might also try to do this usb, i am not sure about that yet though.

for right now I am just ecited to see it working at all on my AMD.

anyway, i just wanted to thank you again for the help, i hope that others will be able to look at this thread and get some help too :)

Bap
01-28-2008, 12:00 PM
I more or less have the same problem that you have encountered chris, ive now managed to get it to boot in safe mode and got the welcome screen etc, identified my keyboard and then it asks about "Do you already own a mac?" and it hangs, i done what you suggested that works using 640x480, but when it booted again i got an error about "this monitor is not supported"

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks.

christurner
01-28-2008, 01:05 PM
bap, i am not sure, it told me that something like "the new user set up process is not compatible" and then it created the Admin user with a blank password. I then deleted all the ".kext file that starts with "GeForce" or "Ge" or "NV" or "NVD" " and rebooted, then the res was back to normal. i will not be able to offer more than that, i hope that some one else might be able to.

Bap
01-28-2008, 01:08 PM
did you get past the "Do you already own a mac" screen?

christurner
01-28-2008, 11:05 PM
yes because i typed this
-x "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32"
with the " " " ", exactly like they are and it skipped the "do you already own a mac bit..." and made the admin user.

Issue: Upon install, the process hangs in an infinite (?) loop circling between chosing language and creating / transferring an user acount ("Do you already own a mac?").
According to the forum, the problem seems to be connected to problems concerning the network card.

Solution 1: Importing an account from an existing (Tiger) installation.

Solution 2: Booting with the flag "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32". The resulting low screen-resolution prevents the setup screen, thus skipping the "loop". As one is not able to create a new username, only the default "admin" is created. This can be changed later on.

Solution 3: Some people reported success with disabling the network card in the bios or disconnecting the cable.

hope that helps