PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime 7.5 stuttering problems

naquaada
06-10-2008, 11:16 PM
I accounted problems movies stuttering with Quicktime 7.5 (AMD patched), in bigger window sizes or fullscreen. I actally finished a 10.5.3 reinstallation of my whole system and wanted to test Logic, but the video in the project wasn't running smooth. So I tested other movies, and they stutter in bigger sizes. This problem seems not to appear when using Quicktime 7.4.5. My screen resolution is 1600x1200. Does anyone have the older Quicktime 7.4.5 installer?

naquaada
06-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Amazing: On my Athlon 64 4000+ (2,4 GHz) Quicktime 7.5 needs more than 90% CPU to play a standard DivX Movie!!! To compare: 7.4.5 needs 23%

naquaada
06-11-2008, 11:02 AM
For all who have this problem I created a reinstaller. You can't install version 7.4.5 directly 'cause a newer version is already installed. So this installer is based on the 7.5 package, but contains the 7.4.5 contents from Apple. It is not specially patched for AMD, but it should work anyway. Here's the download link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/121734986/Quicktime745_Leopard_reinstaller.dmg.html

Info: Link wasn't working for some time, uploaded it again.

Puttabong
06-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Hi naquaada,

I can't confirm stuttering problems, just updated to the latest QuickTime and watched a BBC Motion Gallery 720p HD movie.

Everything seemed to work fine.

naquaada
06-12-2008, 01:58 PM
In which resolution? Remember, I have very big resolutions up to 1600x1200. Have you tested a DivX movie (with Perian) which has fast video movements? Check the CPU usage with Activity Monitor.

nfoav8or
06-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Using 7.5 mine doesn't stutter... it crashes completely. This has been after many repeat-installs to try to figure out what is going on. I've installed the ASU-mod version, the Apple-direct version, and now I'm trying naquaada's version. The real 7.4.5 version worked on my machine with no flaws. Naquaada's works with no flaws to Quicktime, however I cannot open iTunes now that I've installed this. Does anyone happen to have the old .dmg from Apple for 7.4.5?

naquaada
06-30-2008, 09:44 PM
You can't use the standard Apple 7.4.5 update because the installer will tell you that a newer version is installed. That's why I made this installer: It is the 7.5 package with the contents of Quicktime 7.4.5, patched for AMD.

If iTunes isn't working you can try to reinstall the older version 7.6.2, this is the one I have on my system. Newer versions may need Quicktime 7.5, some iLife updates are also only available after installing Quicktime 7.5.

nfoav8or
07-01-2008, 10:39 AM
The reason, I asked for the original Apple-version is because I am redoing my computer right now and I would like to update it up to 7.4.5 only and then not install the 7.5 update.

naquaada
07-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Are you using a complete HD for OS X ? If yes and you still want to reinstall your system, try my 3-partition system. I'm always using a drive with two boot partitions and a system storage partition. A system with two boot partitions make the life extremely easy if something wents wrong.

Boot the install DVD, enter Disk Utility and partition the drive in three partitions. The first one is the big main partition, the second is a small recovery partition and the third is the storage partitions. Best start the partitioning from the bottom. On a 320GB HD the partition sizes are following:

Leopard: 251,42 GB (the rest if you begin partitioning from the bottom)
Recovery: 15,90 GB
Shared: 30,90 GB

I used rather curious sizes but it's ok this way. If you have a smaller harddrive resize the partitions, but the Recovery should not be smaller than 10GB (my 10.5.4 Recovery system is 7,17 GB, but is very optimized), and the Shared partition (which has access from both boot drives) shouldn't be smaller than 15 GB becuase it needs to store drive images. Format the partitions with zeroes after that.

Now start installing - but first on the Recovery partition! After it's finished, optimize it. You can do this by removing all unneccessary kexts, so if you have an Nvidia card you can remove all ATI kexts. But backup them - for this reason the Shared partition exists. Now you can configure you system as perfect as possible, but install only programs which are useful for the system. OK, I have a lot of progs installed, so Firefox, DivX, VLC and so on. But no text program or other apps. Use XSlimmer to reduce the sizes. I also would install iDefrag and Onyx.

After the system is finished, boot into the install DVD again and enter Disk Utility. Select the Recovery partition and overwrite the free bocks with zeroes - do not format it again. Now create an image of it and save it on the Shared partition. Name could be 10.5.3 Recovery 1 and/or the date. After it's finished, select in the 'Image' menu the point 'Check image for Restoring' or what's it called. It's the last point in this menu. After is process was finished successfully, select the Leopard partition and click on 'Restore'. Select the image you just created so that it will be written on the Leopard partition. Activate the marker 'Erase Drive'. Now the image will be copied blockwise on your main partition. When it's finished - voilá - you have two identical volumes called 'Recovery', but only one time the work.

Reset and reboot the installation DVD in -s mode. Now the main boot partition must be made bootable. Best use only one drive on the computer. Enter these commands:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

update
f 1
w
q

Reset and enter the Darwin boot menu. Now the first partition should be selected. Boot into it and rename it back in 'Leopard' or whatever you like. Then wait if all drive access is finished. Best start Onyx after this if you have it installed. Boot in the Recovery partition and optimize your main partition f.e. with iDefrag and create with Disk Utility an image of it. use Image/Check for Recovery again.

Now you have backups of your main and backup partition. You can now use the Recovery partition for experiments, f.e. the 10.5.4. Update or new drivers. If something wents wrong, like Quicktime 7.5, boot back in your main partition and restore it from the image. If you crash your main partition f.e. by modifing kexts you can recover it in the most cases by booting into the Recovery partition and fix it from there. How exactly you are with the installation is your thing, in my last installation I created the Recovery partition and the copy on the Leopard partition, but I first optimized the Recovery partition. I had 9 different versions as it was good enough for me to be copied the first time as main partition. An image of a very well installed Recovery partition with 60 apps and 7,17 GB size is 2,6 GB in size, the enhanced Leopard partition with 86 apps was 3,13 GB. It's also always possible to keep an image on a DVD.

nfoav8or
07-01-2008, 09:28 PM
if you look at my specs, I've been using this method for a little while now. The issue isn't the fact that I am resetting up the computer (thats for my own piece-of-mind) but rather to simply update from quicktime 7.2.1 to 7.4.5 as I use iTunes 7.6.2 and it doesn't like Quicktime any lower than that. I just needed to see if anyone knew where I could get at a Quicktime 7.4.5 installer. Thanx