PDA

View Full Version : EFiX - a new efi solution

Voyn1x
06-12-2008, 08:24 AM
From website home page:

09 June 2008

EFiX is the best solution for installing and using Mac OS X on your PC.
It allows its user to install Mac OS X straight from the original DVD without having to worry about patches, replacing files and anything like that.
That means you can buy a regular PC, Mac OS X and EFiX and enjoy what the Mac users have always enjoyed:
unmodified Mac OS X on your computer, safe, easy and fast, exactly the way it should be.

The development of EFiX took a lot of time.
During the development phase, we had to deal with various problems, including sabotage.
This process also involved testing, which has been conducted for the last 6 months in production environments.
Industry leading professionals(who work for TV stations, recording studios and many others) rely on EFiX and Mac OS X running on standard PC hardware to get their tasks done.

EFiX is in the final testing phase.
All the testing has went far better than what we expected and the testers have given positive feedback.

We have planned to release it on 23rd of June, 2008. More information will be added soon.

See it in action at Netkas.org (http://netkas.org/?p=66)

Looks promising, though I wonder what the efi string/kext support will be like - that's if it needs it at all? Apple legal may not be very happy about this if it is really as easy as sticking in a usb plug.

R0GUE
06-12-2008, 08:42 AM
This sounds extremely promising. I think the purchase of my Intel based components may have to come sooner than later.

zephyroth
06-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Bof ...

pαuℓzurrr.
06-12-2008, 10:07 AM
I guess this is intel only? no amd?

naquaada
06-12-2008, 11:04 AM
But you'll still need a patched OSx86 disc for all the onbaord components which the vaious PC mainboards have. They're not on the original OS X installation DVD. Cool would be an hardware EFI card which jumps in before BIOS but this isn't possible on the PC/AT architecture. It would be possible on the Amiga, it has real hardware-autoconfiguration - since 1986.

R0GUE
06-12-2008, 11:22 AM
zephyroth:Bof ...
?

LawlessPPC
06-12-2008, 12:08 PM
@ naquaada
are you a fellow amiga user?

LawlessPPC
06-12-2008, 12:09 PM
does this solution work on phenom by any chance?

naquaada
06-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Yep, I'm Amiga user, hm, was. Since in December 2005 my main harddisk crashed, I nearly don nothing with it anymore. I think I'll sell my BlizzardPPC+ (68060/50 PPC603e 240MHz onboard SCSI) for the A1200 and some other Amiga components except my Amiga 4000T. I'll also kick out my Athlon XPs and such stuff, will concentrate on Mac and C128 now.

LawlessPPC
06-12-2008, 12:39 PM
yeah same specs as mine really maxed it out but got 256mb, grex with vodoo and the like but only morphos on it now must admit not switched it on for a while.

naquaada
06-12-2008, 12:48 PM
I also have 256Mb in 2 PS/2 bars and a BVision. I use this thing in the normal desktop case with a standard 4.5A A500-PSU.

LawlessPPC
06-12-2008, 12:53 PM
sounds very warm lol

naquaada
06-12-2008, 01:04 PM
No, it's ok. About 55°C, but the temperature sensor placed directly at the PPC.

cgsheen
06-12-2008, 07:46 PM
"Mac OS X on your computer, safe, easy and fast, exactly the way it should be."

Dude... What am I doing now?

Naw, this will be great for the morons (sorry) less fortunate folks who can't figure out how to install Zephy (or L4A, or ...).

Voyn1x
06-12-2008, 08:12 PM
@cgsheen,

Totally agree, I'm just scared that people like them are going to ruin the Hackintosh scene for everyone. I can see Apple introducing tougher safegards against non-Apple hardware if something like this takes off, such as releasing an efi update that stops further upgrades until it's installed. I suppose Netkas could argue that part of the fun is getting around these restrictions though :-)

I wonder if it will be a paid product or a free download that you can copy onto a usb key... I guess all will become clear on the 23rd.....

cgsheen
06-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Voyn1x:I'm just scared that people like them are going to ruin the Hackintosh scene for everyone.
True that... That could suck.

pαuℓzurrr.
06-15-2008, 10:12 AM
They've updated the site,
Under the sub menu Product they now have this listed

EFi-X.comEFiX For Desktop PC's
EFiX For Notebooks
EFiX PCI Version
Complete Systems
Where to buy
So it seems there's not only gonna be a usb version but there's a pci version coming too...

BigBadBen
06-16-2008, 05:20 PM
They have this in there FAQ:

Frequently Asked Questions

-Does the EFiX device support AMD processors?
No, at this moment we do not offer support for AMD systems.

pαuℓzurrr.
06-17-2008, 04:15 PM
EFI-X.com:On top of the benefits seen by Mac users from the start, EFiX also brings some other advantages for users of standard PCs, such as:

- Online updates of EFiX firmware.

- EMI & RFI protection.

- An Interactive system boot selector.

- Working power management Features such as Shutdown, Reset, etc.
Updated their site again :p

Voyn1x
06-23-2008, 01:25 PM
They've now added the usb products - internal and external, along with details and supported hardware list:

EFI for Desktop PCs (http://www.efi-x.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21&language=english)

However there's no sign of pricing or supply details as yet.

pαuℓzurrr.
07-05-2008, 07:36 PM
LOL

Pricing Info
EFi- X™ USB V1 / V2
Suggested retail price 80 Euro
Although the starting batch of EFI-X™ modules sports every single V2 function,
it is part of a specially hand-crafted, only 200 pieces collection series.
The mass produced EFI-X™ modules will have a substantial lower price.

Or you can do it for free, here (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288)

naquaada
07-05-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure why we need a new EFi version at all. A retail DVD would only work for Intel users which have exact the chipsets and components like audio and networking like on an real Intel-Mac. People with Intel CPU but VIA, ATI or nVidia chipset have no use of it, they need an OSx86 installation DVD with their chipset drivers. And on AMD this won't work at all.

In my opinion this thread is very badly placed in this forum. Information is ok maybe, but look behind it: It only shows that AMD has more problems with OSx86, and the guys who want to upgrade will maybe switch to Intel. If all people will do this, AMD users are f*cked up sooner or later. I'm proud of using my AMD systems and I won't switch to Intel. I won't even switch to AM2, the Socket 939 boards I'm using are great. And we need more people like Zephyroth which are caring about the AMD users. With a single program - the AMD Software Update - he solved a lot of problems for the future of AMD OSx86.