PDA

View Full Version : Kalyways 10.5.2 on Turion Notebook slooooow

wolfgangw
06-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Guten Morgen,

I installed kalys 10.5.2 on a Targa Turion (1800 single core, SSE3, 1GB RAM). Installation went just fine. I installed with legacy flag and AMD_1052_test1 Patch. Reboot after Installation went also good but slow. Now the System is just so sloooow sad.gif . There is always File I/O. Has someone also observed this strange behavior?

Greetings

Wolfgang

Moved to Kalyway Section

cgsheen
06-14-2008, 12:18 AM
You'd better list the specs of your notebook (right down to the chipsets used)... I used a socket 754 Turion64 in my first OSx86 install. It's still running 10.5.1 - but it runs great - one of my best.

wolfgangw
06-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Hi cgsheen,

I will list the specs later that day.....

Greetings

Wolfgang

Jenbug
06-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Wow, this sounds sort of like the problem I've been having. I'm running at Turion notebook as well. The specs are:
Turion64 x2 tl-64 (2.2ghz), 2gb DDR2-667, 100gb HD (works with nForceATA), Atheros WLAN, etc. The whole thing just seems to run slow, even the clock!! It seems like some sort of timing issue, but I've been unable to resolve it using the typical boot flags (idlehalt=0, cpus=1). I've tried most every distribution that will work on AMD (Zephyroth, Kalyway, Leo4all) all with the same results. Does this sound similar to you??

wolfgangw
06-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi cgsheen & Jenbug,

here are the specs from my turion notebbook:

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prodtmpspec&prod_no=655&maincat_no=135&cat2_no=&cat3_no=#menu

@Jenbug:

I think in my case it's another problem. The Harddisk is always working, regardless of what action I'm doing. I thought 1 GB RAM should be enough for OS X not to swap. But it could also be a timing problem.

Greetings

Wolfgang

cgsheen
06-17-2008, 09:03 PM
There you go - it's the RS480 chipset...
I don't really know if any of the current SB200, 400, 600 .kexts will work for you or not. BUT - Now you can tell everyone "I have an AMD/ATi RS480 chipset and a Radeon Xpress x700 IGP in my lappy!" and see if anyone can help. Just don't hold your breath...

( the chipset controls the drives and communication through the motherboard to all the other components. yours isn't being properly recognized or supported because there are no "drivers". either an improper or generic "driver" is being used - that's why communciation & drive speed is so slow. I also doubt your IGP (video) will ever be supported... I ran into many of the same problems with my Compaq laptop - uses the older Radeon Xpress x200 - this isn't hardware ever used in a real Mac )

wolfgangw
06-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Hi cgsheen,

thanks for your fast reply. This makes sense to me. The targa (MSI) is not my main machine (this is a cheapo 945 Mobo with Intel Gfx running leopard just fine everything working). I thought of playing a little bit with this targa. But I will search a little further anyway.

Greetings

Wolfgang